A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »OS tool lying about tag space

Author Topic: OS tool lying about tag space (8 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

TK421

Posted: Apr 22, 2019 09:24 PM    Msg. 1 of 8       
I seemed to have ran into an issue with open sauce tool. It compiles .yelo maps fine and says there's free tag space but when I play the map, depending on the BSP, the game exceptions. I'm assuming it is due to tag space because removing tags from the scenario seems to fix the problem. Is there a way to fix the issue without removing tags?

DeadHamster

https://discord.gg/Neu4EJM

Posted: Apr 22, 2019 10:06 PM    Msg. 2 of 8       
Sounds more likely that the tags you removed were what caused the exception. I say that because I've not run into this issue or heard of it. What tags did you remove? Need more details to help.

TK421

Posted: Apr 22, 2019 10:14 PM    Msg. 3 of 8       
At first it was the zteam battle rife which worked fine in other maps. Since then it has been cmt brutes, scenery tags even vanilla vehicle tags. It seems like I'm limited to how many I can have in the map. It seems to happen coincidentally with large bsps.

Masters1337

halonaminator's unfortunate idol

Posted: Apr 22, 2019 10:31 PM    Msg. 4 of 8       
It's a known issue that has been a problem with all the maps in SPV3 based on TSCE. Unfortunately, you just need to look at ways to reduce data clutter and get it under the limit. I can't imagine why you are hitting it, the stuff in TSC:E and SPV3 combined is a hard thing to match in terms of sheer data content.

TK421

Posted: Apr 23, 2019 07:20 AM    Msg. 5 of 8       
Like I said its it occurs on large BSPs. The maps can sometimes load but when switching to a large BSP the game will exception. So I stripped all unit dialogue from the map to free up tag space and nothing changed. It still exceptioned. Then I removed one biped tag and it worked. Is it possible it has something to do with model data?

Masters1337

halonaminator's unfortunate idol

Posted: Apr 23, 2019 03:04 PM    Msg. 6 of 8       
you are looking at it the wrong way. Think of it as a bathtub. The tags are the water, and the BSPs are the person getting in at the time. A skinny person will fit in fine, a fat person will cause the water to be displaced and overflow. That's when your game crashes. By removing sound tags, you are essentially removing bubbles from soap. Removing the biped, is a much larger collection of data as it calls on animation, collision, and model geometry.

What you should do is first make sure any collision models you have, are not made with the high poly render geometry model. Then also look if any uneeded animations are in the map. Following that, look for any models that are not being used but included in the map.

Sounds, Bitmaps are not included in the tagspace shenanigans, as they can be loaded in on a case by case basis

sparky

Jesus is a friend to the vindictive sociopath

Posted: Apr 23, 2019 07:35 PM    Msg. 7 of 8       
In a map, you have common assets referenced in bitmaps.map (images) and sounds.map (audio) and loc.map (localized strings and fonts), and you have the data that is actually internalized. The internalized data includes mostly .scenario_structure_bsp model data, and then .gbxmodel model data and any other custom things like sounds and bitmaps. There is a maximum number of tags and a maximum map file size due to the calculation of static pointers. A long time ago, I posted the numbers, and I don't recall the exact memory addresses, but basically you have the map file placed into a memory region, and since you have all the data inside it using static pointer addresses, you're limited to the maximum size of the region of memory Halo allocates for the map file in memory.

You can have an abundance of tags, but the only tags that really contribute to any potential crashing behaviors are those that are *used* by being referenced down the hierarchy of tags from either the hardcoded tag pathname strings or the .scenario tag or the globals.globals tag. Any "outside" tags are not going to contribute to causing the map to crash the game.

DOOM899

{DM} [gamesmaster] if i can ill help maybe

Posted: May 17, 2019 09:21 AM    Msg. 8 of 8       
Quote: --- Original message by: TK421
At first it was the zteam battle rife which worked fine in other maps. Since then it has been cmt brutes, scenery tags even vanilla vehicle tags. It seems like I'm limited to how many I can have in the map. It seems to happen coincidentally with large bsps.
look into the tag and see if there are any red lines

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Tue October 15, 2019 4:25 PM 187 ms.
A Halo Maps Website