A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »Spawning sentinel beams in campaign

Author Topic: Spawning sentinel beams in campaign (12 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

BioGoji1989

Professional Idiot

Posted: Apr 28, 2019 01:56 PM    Msg. 1 of 12       
I'm working on Version 1.5 of my campaign mod, and I'd like to know how to make fallen sentinels spawn a sentinel beam that I've imported from a Halo 2 weapon pack. I've already made sure that the weapon has a proper HUD interface and that all of its dependencies are met, and I've even used cheat_all_weapons to make the weapon itself spawn in the current build of the level I'm modding, but I want to know how to make it spawn when a sentinel dies.

Does anyone have any information that could help me?

DeadHamster

https://discord.gg/Neu4EJM

Posted: Apr 29, 2019 03:41 AM    Msg. 2 of 12       

This tag.

Duplicate the garbage reference, make it a weapon reference, and put the weapon tag there.
Edited by DeadHamster on Apr 29, 2019 at 03:44 AM

BioGoji1989

Professional Idiot

Posted: Apr 29, 2019 05:12 PM    Msg. 3 of 12       
Quote: --- Original message by: DeadHamster

https://i.imgur.com/ssi5B57.png

This tag.

https://i.imgur.com/Rjt2QaD.png

Duplicate the garbage reference, make it a weapon reference, and put the weapon tag there.
Edited by DeadHamster on Apr 29, 2019 at 03:44 AM

Thanks, man. You're a life saver.

DeadHamster

Posted: Apr 29, 2019 10:53 PM    Msg. 4 of 12       
Now that you know the easy way, the better way is actually;

Weapon tag here

Percentage chance drop and amount of ammunition when it drops.

The proper way to do it is the way above, but that also means that the sentinel's are going to use your H2 sentinel beam weapon instead of their built-in weapon tag. Might be more to play with from there to get things right.

sparky

Dismissal of Truth leaves one to believe lies

Posted: May 1, 2019 02:08 PM    Msg. 5 of 12       
You could modify the death / explosion effect to chain-spawn a weapon (or .item_collection for multiplayer maps). That's the first approach that DeadHamster mentioned, and it's the most obvious approach that comes to mind. But as you saw, there is typically more than one approach to achieve results that you want. But whichever way is the "correct" way is the one that behaves most according to what you want it to do, not necessarily the approach that uses metadata values the game engine appears designed to facilitate. In other words, be more creative than the game engine is.
Edited by sparky on May 1, 2019 at 02:11 PM

BioGoji1989

Professional Idiot

Posted: May 1, 2019 05:36 PM    Msg. 6 of 12       
Quote: --- Original message by: sparky

You could modify the death / explosion effect to chain-spawn a weapon (or .item_collection for multiplayer maps). That's the first approach that DeadHamster mentioned, and it's the most obvious approach that comes to mind. But as you saw, there is typically more than one approach to achieve results that you want. But whichever way is the "correct" way is the one that behaves most according to what you want it to do, not necessarily the approach that uses metadata values the game engine appears designed to facilitate. In other words, be more creative than the game engine is.
Edited by sparky on May 1, 2019 at 02:11 PM

Well, I've found that DeadHamster's 1st method actually works pretty well. Since the weapon appears after the sentinel has crashed and exploded, the spawning is hidden from obvious view, so it doesn't look out of place. Plus, I ended up editing the Halo 2 Sentinel beam to use the H1 sentinel's own beam projectile because the Halo 2 SB doesn't have that burning effect whenever the beam hits a target. This means I had to adjust the damage effect of the projectile so that it's actually useful in the hands of the player (it's set to 1 point of damage by default, and I currently have it set to 5 points), but it also means that the sentinels are more dangerous to the player as well when they turn against you. However... I think this adds a greater challenge when playing on Heroic and Legendary, although my first playtest in b40 had me dying faster than the opening sequence of Halo 2's Gravemind on Legendary. Yeah, it made the sentinels that much deadlier.

This meant I had to go back and edit the damage tag again so that it does less damage to the player's shield, while damage done to armor and health is unchanged. See, I also originally had the damage set to 7.5 points, but that caused the... Halo 2 Legendary (or H2L) effect I mentioned earlier. By making these later edits, I have now made the weapon useful in the hands of the player, but not so deadly that sentinels become the equivalent of Halo 2 Jackal Snipers. They're still dangerous, but much more manageable.

DeadHamster

Posted: May 2, 2019 12:48 AM    Msg. 7 of 12       
That's not what multipliers are for. Bad habit, shed it right away. Multipliers are for changing the amount of damage it does to targets, not for balancing gameplay. Make it better on shields/health, make shotguns more effective on flood etc.

If you nerf how much damage the weapon does against the player, what happens if you give an elite the weapon? It's nerfed and doesn't function as well as it's supposed to. The weapon was fine, which is why it worked against the enemies. The sentinel's just used it too well against the player.

These are the values you want to edit, everything under burst. Specifically, the ones I highlighted control how long they hold down the trigger. Also increase burst seperation. The rest control how they aim, read the description and make minor adjustments to increase their accuracy-cone, making them less accurate. Normally you'd also edit the ROF, but in this case you can't;

The game runs at 30 frames per second. On each frame, either your gun is firing or it isnt. So your ROF has to be a multiple of 30 to be legitimate. That gives you 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 10, 15, and 30.

You're at 0, which is actually 30. You're next slowest option is half that, which is way too noticeable. So editing the ROF is out in this case.

Which leaves you to making the Sentinel's less accurate, and decreasing the length of time they fire that beam.

Or nerfing the weapon. Bad habit.

BioGoji1989

Professional Idiot

Posted: May 2, 2019 02:31 AM    Msg. 8 of 12       
Or... I could make a copy of the beam and its impact damage that I can change so that the beam used by the sentinels behaves differently than the beam in the hands of the players.

Which, in hindsight, I should have done in the first place.

sparky

Posted: May 2, 2019 01:04 PM    Msg. 9 of 12       
The alternative to duplicating a weapon is to adjust its metadata. Glance through the metadata values of all 78 used tag types. Then you will get a broad idea about what options you have for creativity within the designed game engine behavior. Then hover your mouse over the metadata rows in each relevant tag type, in this case, .weapon, .projectile, and .item_collection (which is used in multiplayer maps), but also .actor, .actor_variant, .biped, and the second half of .scenario.

Use kornman00's version of Guerilla.

DeadHamster

Posted: May 2, 2019 07:19 PM    Msg. 10 of 12       

Forgot about this. Thought I had put in the post above, completely left it out. ROF, AI Damage Modifiers, Accuracy

Edited by DeadHamster on May 2, 2019 at 07:20 PM

sparky

Posted: May 2, 2019 10:11 PM    Msg. 11 of 12       
It's like if you want to increase the pitch angle on a covenant shade turret, which I've done in the past, or if you want to adjust how an AI flies a banshee, you have to modify various tags and possibly add in some blam scripting to achieve the intended behavior. So you have a bit of redundancy in that you can accomplish one thing using different approaches, but sometimes accomplishing one thing that seems like it should be simple could involve new animations or additional markers and a lot of extra work and involve a lot of tag types. Another example is spawning a different type of vehicle in multiplayer maps, which involves globals.globals, the .scenario tag, and the .vehicle tag, and possibly a blam script.

That's why you want to at least browse through the different metadata options available to you in each tag type in Guerilla. And sometimes the categorization in the interface is confusing, so also consider the textual tool tips. But don't get me started on the tool tips, my precious.

Edited by sparky on May 2, 2019 at 10:13 PM

BioGoji1989

Professional Idiot

Posted: May 3, 2019 12:20 AM    Msg. 12 of 12       
Well... I've decided to go with the duplicate tag solution. I copied the beam and beam.damage tags, renamed those copies as player_beam and player_beam.damage, and made sure to match them with their respective weapons and each other.

Although, one of the things I did to compensate for the increased firepower of the beam prior to this was to go into the model collision geometry tag for cyborg and increase shields to 100... which ended up doing pretty much NOTHING to make things easier until I ended up nerfing the beam tags as well, so... yeah, I think that the duplicate tags solution is the best bet. Now I have shield and health for Chief back at their defaults, the sentinel beam's damage multipliers are back at their default values for the beam used by the sentinels, and the player is now able to survive the opening fight of c40 on Legendary as they normally would.

I do appreciate the help that you both have given me so far, and I look forward to receiving more feedback and tips from you guys in the future when I start on my 1.75 and 2.0 campaign mods after I complete my 1.5 mod.

1.75 will replace all Halo 1 covenant with Halo 2 covenant models (specifically the Elites), keeping only the Halo 1 tags that are absolutely necessary for the Halo 2 biped tags to work properly.

Version 2.0... is where I start getting more experimental, with Halo 2 HUD tags and the Halo 2 covenant biped tags, while still keeping the Halo 1 cyborg gbx and FP tags for Master Chief (I've always preferred the Mark V armor over the Mark VI).
Edited by BioGoji1989 on May 3, 2019 at 12:20 AM

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Thu August 22, 2019 2:38 AM 172 ms.
A Halo Maps Website