A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo 2 Vista Forum (Bungie/Microsoft) »Halo 2 Vista General Discussion »Halo 2 Vista-tag extractor/mover

Author Topic: Halo 2 Vista-tag extractor/mover (6 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

trickshottr

Posted: May 13, 2019 07:43 AM    Msg. 1 of 6       
While im still not 100% sure how to expand/enlarge the map size so it doesnt freeze(lolfail)for the OG xbox halo 2 there are these tools called Insolence/Entity which allow you to rip a tag from one map and place it into another(say I want to move the flood juggernaut from 07b_forerunnership into some other map id use that)\

is there anything similar for the PC version?

DeadHamster

https://discord.gg/Neu4EJM

Posted: May 13, 2019 09:10 AM    Msg. 2 of 6       
Not in the sense that you're looking for no. What you're referring to is the rebuilding of maps from the HMT/Eschaton days, moving tags from one map to another. AFAIK the standard map tools don't have rebuilding functions for H2V. Closest you'll get is creating a new map using the H2EK.

Video

Download

Source

That's the current build of the Halo 2 Vista Tag Extractor. All credit belongs to Himanshu and Kornman. Himanshu wrote the code to extract from maps using Kornman's Blam.lib, I've modified the UI to allow for multiple tag extraction and changed how it looks for the user's mapfiles so it wasn't "hardcoded" to the default installation path. You need to understand several things if you want to use this;

• It doesn't work.

• You can extract tags just fine.

• Physics Models and Collision models don't extract properly and cause errors in H2Sapien.

• Unrigged Render Models (Trees, Rocks) extract. Rigged Render Models (vehicles, crates, bipeds, weapons) do not. It'll extract the tag properly but with no raw model data if you try.

• Any shader tag needs to be remade. Halo 2 processes shaders on import, you need to create fresh shader tags. You can use the extracted ones as a reference.

• Bitmap tags extract fine.

The program is still being developed, the UI updates were done by myself in the past month and Himanshu updated something earlier this year.. While I doubt I'll ever be able to fix the errors in physics/collision tag extraction it's not a dead project.
Edited by DeadHamster on May 13, 2019 at 09:13 AM

trickshottr

Posted: May 14, 2019 10:30 AM    Msg. 3 of 6       
Thanks for the swift response as always.

BioGoji1989

Professional Idiot

Posted: May 29, 2019 12:31 PM    Msg. 4 of 6       
Quote: --- Original message by: DeadHamster

Not in the sense that you're looking for no. What you're referring to is the rebuilding of maps from the HMT/Eschaton days, moving tags from one map to another. AFAIK the standard map tools don't have rebuilding functions for H2V. Closest you'll get is creating a new map using the H2EK.

Video

Download

Source

That's the current build of the Halo 2 Vista Tag Extractor. All credit belongs to Himanshu and Kornman. Himanshu wrote the code to extract from maps using Kornman's Blam.lib, I've modified the UI to allow for multiple tag extraction and changed how it looks for the user's mapfiles so it wasn't "hardcoded" to the default installation path. You need to understand several things if you want to use this;

• It doesn't work.

• You can extract tags just fine.

• Physics Models and Collision models don't extract properly and cause errors in H2Sapien.

• Unrigged Render Models (Trees, Rocks) extract. Rigged Render Models (vehicles, crates, bipeds, weapons) do not. It'll extract the tag properly but with no raw model data if you try.

• Any shader tag needs to be remade. Halo 2 processes shaders on import, you need to create fresh shader tags. You can use the extracted ones as a reference.

• Bitmap tags extract fine.

The program is still being developed, the UI updates were done by myself in the past month and Himanshu updated something earlier this year.. While I doubt I'll ever be able to fix the errors in physics/collision tag extraction it's not a dead project.
Edited by DeadHamster on May 13, 2019 at 09:13 AM

So, that's why they said it was for research purposes only. [Sigh]. And here I was hoping I'd be able to create custom campaign mods for Halo 2 like I've been doing for CE.

DeadHamster

https://discord.gg/Neu4EJM

Posted: May 30, 2019 03:36 AM    Msg. 5 of 6       
Collision Models were fixed in the past week, they're now looking at what's going on with Render Models not properly extracting weights. There's little bits and pieces of the tags not getting read right or written properly. It's not as bad as it seems.

Shaders will always need to be unprocessed AKA remade. There might be ways to automate that process, but the tagfiles inside the mapfile aren't compatible with H2Sapien as is.

A month ago the extractor was the two windows on the left. Now it's the one on the right.

You could probably make a fairly decent couple campaign maps in H2. And in H2, a lot more works online than in H1.

Link

Link 2

That's some stuff General101 did, he's also the one working on some of the extraction code.

BioGoji1989

Professional Idiot

Posted: Jul 3, 2019 12:07 AM    Msg. 6 of 6       
This is going to make modding Halo 2 Vista so much fun in the future.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Tue October 15, 2019 3:48 AM 125 ms.
A Halo Maps Website