A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Proposal: How to share tags and maps

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next
Author Topic: Proposal: How to share tags and maps (37 messages, Page 1 of 2)
Moderators: Dennis

sparky

Jesus is a friend to the vindictive sociopath

Posted: May 18, 2019 12:28 PM    Msg. 1 of 37       
Quote: --- Original message by: FtDSpartn
just had to delete all references to missing tags

To properly share a tag:

1. compile it into a map
    2. use a program like HEK+ [EDIT: Try using Refinery] to recursively extract the tag to a new folder
    3. .zip the folder
    4. upload the zip to Drop Box
    5. post the link here

To share a map:

1. compile the .map or .yelo
    2. compress it into .7z at highest compression settings
    3. upload that 7z to Drop Box
    4. post the link here
    4a. optionally submit the map to Halo CE3's map archive and the HAC map archive

Please comment on this, for example argue for using RAR, argue for using something other than Drop Box, and telling me you can't upload to CE3 or HAC (anymore?). Also, someone share a link to CE3 and HAC map upload terms and forms. Thanks.

Edited by sparky on May 19, 2019 at 04:14 AM

SBB_Michelle

This site brings me pain.

Posted: May 18, 2019 01:20 PM    Msg. 2 of 37       
Ok, this rustled my jimmies. Don't you ever tell people to use HEK+ again, tell them to use refinery so we can stop having broken zooms, animation functions, overlays, weapon type settings, crashing opensauce shaders and all that stuff.

S12Spark

Posted: May 18, 2019 02:26 PM    Msg. 3 of 37       
Quote: --- Original message by: SBB_Michelle
Ok, this rustled my jimmies. Don't you ever tell people to use HEK+ again, tell them to use refinery so we can stop having broken zooms, animation functions, overlays, weapon type settings, crashing opensauce shaders and all that stuff.

I agree on that fully. I really would honestly like to have people upload their tags and maps and whatnot, and perhaps we can find some lost relics. I have archived all of halomaps archive, haloce3, and HAC2 repository. Next is open carnage and the halomaps forums, but that's gonna take a while. Any other websites I should dig through? If anyone is interested in obtaining this archive, I guess PM me?

Either way, I'd love it if people could post some of their tags or maps that haven't been publicly released or are lost to the ages, so I can archive them. I've found a lot of really old memories digging through these archives.

sparky

Posted: May 18, 2019 02:46 PM    Msg. 4 of 37       
Quote: --- Original message by: SBB_Michelle
tell them to use refinery

Please provide the best link to an executable of MosesofEgypt's Refinery.

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: May 18, 2019 03:05 PM    Msg. 5 of 37       
I feel like this is a very backhanded way of trying to police how people operate in the community. There is no such thing as a one size fit all method for sharing items, as its mostly up to the preferences of the end user. IE I don't care enough to use dropbox but would be fine using mega or gdrive, and would basically smack you over the head for using mediafire

SBB_Michelle

Posted: May 18, 2019 06:56 PM    Msg. 6 of 37       
Quote: --- Original message by: sparky
Please provide the best link to an executable of MosesofEgypt's Refinery.

It's a tutorial, with a download link in the description.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGEjtX4u9FI&feature=youtu.be

sparky

Posted: May 19, 2019 03:48 AM    Msg. 7 of 37       
Quote: --- Original message by: R93_Sniper
I feel like this is a very backhanded way [...] and would basically smack you over the head for using mediafire

The theme of backhanding over the head is questionable. *Blah blah insert some statement here about discipline and compassion and the right way to share information and so on and so forth.* But I mentioned drop box because I have not yet seen ads and nonsense like that with Mediafire, which is one motivator for my starting this thread.
Edited by sparky on May 19, 2019 at 03:52 AM

DeadHamster

https://discord.gg/Neu4EJM

Posted: May 19, 2019 04:17 AM    Msg. 8 of 37       
I use mediafire because I've had my account for over 10 years. If they display ads so they can make money, good. That's why they're still online 10 years later. If you need some file-managing service it's free version is definitely not for you, but for sharing mods and tagsets it's perfectly fine.

sparky

Posted: May 19, 2019 07:42 AM    Msg. 9 of 37       
I don't like Mediafire (which I too have used long ago) because when one clicks "download", a third-party web site opens, and if you don't let that happen, you can't download the file. That's bad.

DeadHamster

Posted: May 19, 2019 12:41 PM    Msg. 10 of 37       
Here's a video of me downloading a file from Mediafire like a normal human being.

Youtube

You'll notice it's on youtube. Guess you'll have to get over that.

You'll also notice none of whatever you're talking about and all of downloading a file like a normal human being. As an aside, even if you were stupid and didn't use an adblocker, it still doesn't open up a second page like you said, it just displays advertisements on the page.

Even if it did open a pop-under ad, GOOD. Websites display ads to make money, so that they can pay the bills and continue to provide the service. That's how these things work.

Sparky doesn't want anyone on the internet to make money, but wants to charge us for his non-existent modding programs.

Edited by DeadHamster on May 19, 2019 at 02:36 PM

SBB_Michelle

Posted: May 19, 2019 02:46 PM    Msg. 11 of 37       
I don't like dropbox because I have seen way more dead dropbox links than dead mediafire links. My personal suggestion goes out to google drive though.

sparky

Posted: May 19, 2019 06:42 PM    Msg. 12 of 37       
DeadHamster, you are quick to insult and spread libel, and slow to learn. I tire of wasting time responding to these things from you.

Open Google Chrome.
Log out of Mediafire.
Download, install, and activate extensions AdBlock and ScriptSafe.
Try downloading from Mediafire again.

Perhaps then you will see what is really happening when you use Mediafire. If not, I don't care, it's not my problem, and you clearly would rather argue than understand. Have at it, have fun, give it your best shot. I share information based upon my own experiences, not yours.

I would appreciate you not spreading lies about me, telling others what I think without proving it with quotes, screenshots, or video evidence backing up your claims against me. If it is too much to ask you to learn from my experience, is it too much to ask you to stop attacking me for no reason?

Where is your ridiculous, foul attitude coming from? I said nothing to offend you or provoke your verbal slights.

Had you actually cared about what I think and say, you would have joined my discord server where I discuss what I am doing. But since you don't, again, you are being ridiculous with your libel and your out-of-nowhere attitude insulting me every other sentence with some crass and terse rude statement. Go drink a clean glass of clean water. And maybe you should think before you type!

NONSENSE

Michelle, I looked at Google Drive, but can you specify if it is in any way superior to Dropbox, comparing free accounts? Do their terms say they delete files with low traffic? Please clarify beyond my assumption that perhaps there are more dead links because there are more links.

Edited by sparky on May 19, 2019 at 06:55 PM

DeadHamster

Posted: May 19, 2019 08:21 PM    Msg. 13 of 37       
Oh man. Sparky, I've tried ever so carefully to be nice to you. Because you seemed like a nice guy in some shape. But nah, enough. Here we go.

You are absolutely insane. You need help. You have issues that you need to seek counseling for. You're not going to believe this, and that's because you're insane.

Nobody cares about or believes in your ridiculous religious tirade. Nobody is here to listen to your holier than thou nonsense. Everybody hates it. You know why nobody joined your discord server? Because they can't stand you, because every second post is some religious tirade. Because every time you post something people mock it behind your back, or to your face.

Libel? Libel!? Show me one thing I said that isn't an absolute truth. Not the absolute truth you get from a 2000 year old book (which was stripped and truncated so you'd only read the parts they wanted), but actual literal logical truth. How many times have you tried to justify selling copywritten content from the halo franchise while also complaining about how your youtube channel was purposefully taken down for distributing copywritten content for free. So you should be able to sell your material, which is based off of someone else's work, but somebody else can't stop you from distributing their product for free?

Oh but it wasn't the copyright that it got taken down for right? It's because Youtube is targeting and persecuting your religion! That's why they went after some no-name channel related to video games and half hour rants on michael jackson, while mega-church youtube channels are fine and dandy.

And why are you typing all of that in yellow? Do you not want me to read it? Then don't say it. You post your weird memes and this yellow text nonsense, talking about how you're a 33 year old man and still playing around with a video game while living in your parents because you never started your goddamn life.

Don't respond to this. Close your browser, turn off your PC and never post here again. Nobody needs to be told how to upload a file or have the same tired structs posted 15 times over with some new made-up namespace like Furnace Fire. Every single thing you do in this community is made into a joke. Leave.

sparky

Posted: May 19, 2019 08:55 PM    Msg. 14 of 37       
Here is the direct video link. I know Dennis has this, his datacenter, in a state nearby (a state where I grew up, I think), and I'm an American. I don't know if you are a US citizen. I speak from understanding, and this is what former US President Barack Obama says:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2016/02/04/obama_jesus_is_a_good_cure_for_fear.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aiz8b2pQkuE

You have insulted not just me (which is fine) but the nature of truth, by your sudden random words attacking the very reason for the value of human life itself. You of course will not understand what I am saying in this, but look then, if you dare to look at a speaker whose videos I featured on my own YouTube channel, for you have claimed against me in my thread here that the modern day murder of millions of innocent Americans is something that I (anyone) should not speak about on YouTube (anywhere) to bring to the attention of my YouTube subscribers (anyone). You are in far worse condition than you realize, friend. Can you get better? Or is this madness terminal? But I digress. Apparently you care nothing about CDC reports of decreasing US population either. I mean, how would you use this forum if someone came and burned down your house and destroyed your computer? Have you no concept of reality and context? But this is merely my foolish interjection, right? Will you learn what I have learned by the time you are 33? Laughable.

Perhaps you will listen to a former US president. Perhaps not. But you too are human; you are not fooling anyone by initiating personal attacks to try to troll my threads so to provoke a response so that I would break this forum's rules so that its owner might ban me and/or delete my threads. You see, I know that what I do matters, and yet you continue to fight against me. I have no time to defend myself, I'm too busy working on free software for you to use, and in so doing, I'm too busy actually proving your libel against me to be false. You want free software from my hands? I'm working on it. Learn patience. You said that I want money for having done nothing; you make this lie why? Quote me if it's true. Quote wherever I said such a thing. I share information of my own time and desire based upon things I work on for everyone to use for free out of my own initiative, invention, money, and desire. Why do I take pains and expense inventing ways to be helpful? That's the kind of person I am. So why are you badgering me in my thread here unless it is malicious desire to see the thread deleted or me banned for responding to your trolling? Everything you've said is false, but why should I take time on my birthday now to go through it and reprove it all with screenshots? You don't care about knowing the truth, which is why you lie about me, and I see that, so your understanding is not my problem.

Please stop your personal attacks. You have been highly judgmental against me on this day when I have desired to share the fact that I am celebrating. Do I not have the right to involve others in forms of joy and celebration I hold? You see, here in the USA, we celebrate each other's birthdays. I don't know how it is in your country or in your culture, where apparently you think it is a good thing and well-justified to harass people who attempt to involve you in their work and news.

Thank you. IF YOU CONTINUE, THEN I will no longer respond, and chalk your sudden irritable behavior to some random personal issue. Seriously, this is not how one professionally speaks to another; your words betray your own madness at this time. I can only hope and pray that you feel better tomorrow. Again, you are welcome to join my Discord server if you want to talk about things we've talked about in the past with Halo and my projects. But you know this already! I won't burden you with more of my words. Just please behave and be nice -- at least in my own threads which I care about. Thank you, feel better, and be well.

----

Still looking forward to comments about Dropbox vs Google Drive so I can update my first post.

Also, it was expressed why this thread is needed. I have seen many times people ask how to share tags and maps they've made, both asking on this forum and asking me individually over the years in various chat conversations and venues. This thread is very much warranted, and since nobody else was doing it, here it is. Share your opinions now.

It would be great if Dennis had the time and/or initiative or will (or whatever is the actual reason it is not happening) to go ahead and update the Halo Maps Archive. But those of us who are doing maps and tags and want to share them need a consolidated approach, especially since the premise of the Halo Maps Archive has shown that a consolidated location and upload possibility has been so successful -- but it takes work, and planning. This thread is part of that planning. Speak your voice or go unheard; just don't come back later and say nobody asked for your opinion.

Edited by sparky on May 19, 2019 at 10:05 PM

Tachikoma

Mobile Suit enthusiast

Posted: May 19, 2019 09:53 PM    Msg. 15 of 37       
How about you just share your files however you want because it's a video game hobby and nobody cares about uploading to jesusgodlovesyoufileshare.net.

This is like if I got the book of mormon involved in scale model building. It's embarrassing.

sparky

Posted: May 19, 2019 10:11 PM    Msg. 16 of 37       
What's embarrassing is that I came back to use this forum only to find the trolls still desiring to troll my threads. No, I will do what I will do. What has been accomplished has been accomplished. And you will never understand what you will never understand. Asking for decency is foolish among the wicked who love to mock because their hearts are cruel and cold. Asking an abuser to stop, or a bully to back off, leads to one thing: bloodshed. I know what you will never in your lifetime perceive, so there is no reason for me to associate with fools. You are the one who will be embarrassed and shamed. You know no one; you know nothing. I leave you to your own bloodshed. Goodbye.

DeadHamster

Posted: May 19, 2019 11:34 PM    Msg. 17 of 37       
Sparky I wanna like you but you're just way, way too crazy.

I still hope you have a good birthday and all. But yeah man, you're out of it in a bad way.

Tachikoma

Mobile Suit enthusiast

Posted: May 19, 2019 11:58 PM    Msg. 18 of 37       
If my life is foolish and bloodshed filled than going to college, having a GF, and having actual hobbies (judging from your little tantrum on that poor radio host, those are all things you DON'T have) are pretty cool things for a fool like me to have ngl, thanks sparky. I hope one day you can snap out of your inceldom, it'd really suck to find out you shot up a church.
Edited by Tachikoma on May 20, 2019 at 12:06 AM

DeadHamster

Posted: May 20, 2019 04:48 PM    Msg. 19 of 37       
Well I'm gonna take this opportunity to plug something of my own and make a final note; if you are sharing tags you should be using my Frog program located within this download to organize the tags first. Compile your tags into a map, name it whatever directory you want, make sure organize is checked, and then use it on the map. The mapfile will be ruined, but the tags will be organized and pretty.

Video Before/After

Otherwise, I have to use your ugly folder names like Halo3\H3\weapons\Rifles\Assualt_Rilfe\, and then when I try to move the tags everything breaks and it's awful. Now I don't even like your tags and I think less of you as a person. You could've avoided all of this, if you had just used Frog. Don't be a fool.
Edited by DeadHamster on May 20, 2019 at 04:49 PM

S12Spark

Posted: May 20, 2019 05:43 PM    Msg. 20 of 37       
Quote: --- Original message by: DeadHamster

Well I'm gonna take this opportunity to plug something of my own and make a final note; if you are sharing tags you should be using my Frog program located within this download to organize the tags first. Compile your tags into a map, name it whatever directory you want, make sure organize is checked, and then use it on the map. The mapfile will be ruined, but the tags will be organized and pretty.

https://i.imgur.com/iwDzZH2.png

Video Before/After

Otherwise, I have to use your ugly folder names like Halo3\H3\weapons\Rifles\Assualt_Rilfe\, and then when I try to move the tags everything breaks and it's awful. Now I don't even like your tags and I think less of you as a person. You could've avoided all of this, if you had just used Frog. Don't be a fool.

I'll give it a try, thanks for the program!

Halonimator

https://imgur.com/a/pVhmSgX

Posted: May 22, 2019 06:26 AM    Msg. 21 of 37       
Psalm 137:8-9

O daughter of Babylon, you [a]devastated one,
How blessed will be the one who repays you
With the recompense with which you have repaid us.
How blessed will be the one who seizes and dashes your little ones
Against the rock.

Sparky when he thinks he's the next messiah. such deluded person!

Edited by Halonimator on May 22, 2019 at 06:27 AM

Vaporeon

Vap~

Posted: May 23, 2019 01:16 PM    Msg. 22 of 37       

https://i.imgur.com/iwDzZH2.png

Video Before/After

Nice map protector, it even protects you from playing the map!
You do realise Refinery can sort by tag class right?

BioGoji1989

Professional Idiot

Posted: May 23, 2019 01:41 PM    Msg. 23 of 37       
Or, you can also use the Tag Dependency Viewer in Mozzarilla when editing your map to perform a recursive zip of the tag you want and then upload the zip file to whatever file-sharing website you wish to use.

DeadHamster

Posted: May 23, 2019 05:39 PM    Msg. 24 of 37       
You do realize I'm not sorting the tags right? I'm actually renaming them, so that when they're extracted after it changes the folder hierarchy and organizes them. So that when you share them it's organized for the user. It also places them inside a custom directory, so that you can sort and organize all your tags and put them inside a single folder before sharing them.

So yeah, it's wonderful that refinery can sort the tags list. That's a super feature. You can also use Refinery to rename tags, kind of like I do, except because Moses is fancy it does it without breaking the map. The catch is that YOU rename each tag, individually, manually, one at a time. Not an automated process that batches the whole thing for you.

I was going to find some work of yours to criticize, but all I can find is you posting Moses' work, you posting Lakia's work. Do you have anything of your own to share?

BioGoji1989

Professional Idiot

Posted: May 23, 2019 10:46 PM    Msg. 25 of 37       
You do realize I'm not sorting the tags right? I'm actually renaming them, so that when they're extracted after it changes the folder hierarchy and organizes them. So that when you share them it's organized for the user. It also places them inside a custom directory, so that you can sort and organize all your tags and put them inside a single folder before sharing them.

So yeah, it's wonderful that refinery can sort the tags list. That's a super feature. You can also use Refinery to rename tags, kind of like I do, except because Moses is fancy it does it without breaking the map. The catch is that YOU rename each tag, individually, manually, one at a time. Not an automated process that batches the whole thing for you.

I was going to find some work of yours to criticize, but all I can find is you posting Moses' work, you posting Lakia's work. Do you have anything of your own to share?

Okay, so... who exactly are you replying to in this post?

Halonimator

https://imgur.com/a/pVhmSgX

Posted: May 23, 2019 11:25 PM    Msg. 26 of 37       
For sparky

Ezekiel 16-17

“‘But you trusted in your beauty and used your fame to become a prostitute. You lavished your favors on anyone who passed by and your beauty became his. 16- You took some of your garments to make gaudy high places, where you carried on your prostitution. You went to him, and he possessed your beauty. 17- You also took the fine jewelry I gave you, the jewelry made of my gold and silver, and you made for yourself male idols and engaged in prostitution with them. 18- And you took your embroidered clothes to put on them, and you offered my oil and incense before them. 19- Also the food I provided for you—the flour, olive oil and honey I gave you to eat—you offered as fragrant incense before them. That is what happened, declares the Sovereign Lord."

Ezekiel 23:18-21

"18- When she carried on her whoring so openly and flaunted her nakedness, I turned in disgust from her, as I had turned in disgust from her sister. 19- Yet she increased her whoring, remembering the days of her youth, when she played the whore in the land of Egypt 20- and lusted after her lovers there, whose members were like those of donkeys, and whose issue was like that of horses. 21- Thus you longed for the lewdness of your youth, when the Egyptians handled your bosom and pressed[a] your young breasts.”

sparky's lust

[Luke 14:33]

So then, none of you can be My disciple who does not give up all his own possessions.

Kavawuvi

Brrrrrrring Ha!

Posted: May 23, 2019 11:27 PM    Msg. 27 of 37       
To properly share a tag:

1. compile it into a map
    2. use a program like HEK+ [EDIT: Try using Refinery] to recursively extract the tag to a new folder
    3. .zip the folder
    4. upload the zip to Drop Box
    5. post the link here

Please comment on this, for example argue for using RAR, argue for using something other than Drop Box, and telling me you can't upload to CE3 or HAC (anymore?). Also, someone share a link to CE3 and HAC map upload terms and forms. Thanks.

I would use the .7z file format over .zip for tags, too, as LZMA compression is much better, compression ratio-wise, than DEFLATE. You can optionally create a solid archive, too, improving ratios even further.

The obvious drawback is that it's not immediately available to you on macOS or Windows, but of course, neither is the Halo Editing Kit immediately available to you when you install Halo Custom Edition.

Quote: --- Original message by: BioGoji1989
Okay, so... who exactly are you replying to in this post?

Edited by Kavawuvi on May 23, 2019 at 11:29 PM

DeadHamster

Posted: May 24, 2019 12:03 AM    Msg. 28 of 37       
Aww look, I hurt someone's delicate little sensibilities.

Masters1337

halonaminator's unfortunate idol

Posted: May 24, 2019 02:40 AM    Msg. 29 of 37       
At this point you are doing more harm to the community than helping it. I think you should take a break, change your ways and maybe come back with a different name.

Nothing here is helping.

Banshee64

oify

Posted: May 24, 2019 09:35 PM    Msg. 30 of 37       
Godbless Sparky and all of you for making halomaps not boring in it's dieing days

DeadHamster

Posted: May 24, 2019 10:52 PM    Msg. 31 of 37       
Sparky has a manifesto, by the way.
Physical Copy

It has ~300k words, mostly about Jesus. To put into perspective; the entirety of the New Testament is ~184k words. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy is ~455k.

This means Sparky wrote far more about Jesus than all the people that actually lived with Jesus and saw his miracles. He's also written as much about Jesus as Tolkien did for both the Fellowship and Two Towers.

OrangeJuice

new content isn't a mod. hhtmods are mods.

Posted: May 25, 2019 04:47 PM    Msg. 32 of 37       
I humor the use of programs like filetopia or limewire. But these have no friendslists and are a bit too "all or nothing". As in, they are usually for sharing and synchronizing entire folders.. .. . . dynamically. Which is sort of the wrong idea for independent, "not a team" based collab projects.

xFire worked because instead of hosting a file semi-permanently(The moment you send it: A file you only need ONCE becomes outdated and unecessary to keep on hand), you can just lazily send that one time-sensitive file to whoever needs it as a zip or something.

After all, why use a fully-fledged hosting box to babysit an outdated file that you only needed to send once, to one person?

It's kinda a letdown that the only program in existence that has unrestricted size file transfers and Instant Messaging in the same program ( that isn't adware or shareware ) is something like Pidgin. SO ! ! ! How many pidgin users are here who have actually launched pidgin within the past week?
Edited by OrangeJuice on May 25, 2019 at 05:14 PM

BioGoji1989

Professional Idiot

Posted: May 25, 2019 11:07 PM    Msg. 33 of 37       
Quote: --- Original message by: OrangeJuice
It's kinda a letdown that the only program in existence that has unrestricted size file transfers and Instant Messaging in the same program ( that isn't adware or shareware ) is something like Pidgin. SO ! ! ! How many pidgin users are here who have actually launched pidgin within the past week?

What the heck is Pidgin?
Edited by BioGoji1989 on May 25, 2019 at 11:08 PM

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: May 26, 2019 01:35 AM    Msg. 34 of 37       
Quote: --- Original message by: BioGoji1989
Quote: --- Original message by: OrangeJuice

What the heck is Pidgin?
Edited by BioGoji1989 on May 25, 2019 at 11:08 PM

Pretty sure they use it Hawaii

PRPatxi

Dennis, free me from this suffering

Posted: Jun 1, 2019 03:01 PM    Msg. 35 of 37       
I see no reason to use Hek+ when we have Refinery.

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Thu December 5, 2019 8:44 PM 203 ms.
A Halo Maps Website