A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »[Utility] Bonobo - Halo 2/3/ODST Animation Extraction

Page 1 of 4 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · 4 · Next
Author Topic: [Utility] Bonobo - Halo 2/3/ODST Animation Extraction (126 messages, Page 1 of 4)
Moderators: Dennis

LaikaGlove

Posted: May 20, 2019 07:00 PM    Msg. 1 of 126       
So I've been working on this for about a year now to brush up on my WPF skills, but I've kind of been losing interest lately. This mostly started as an adventure to see if I could extract the animations without using 3ds max as a crutch to do all the quaternion maths like we did on zteam back in the day. Since I accomplished that, I figured I'd release what I have because it's still an asset to the community. I'm not sure how many people are still active around here, but I was hoping with the soon to be release of MCC for PC there would be a spark of new activity. In hopes of that I decided to just release what I have since it's in a fairly workable state (albeit with some known bugs). I'm mostly releasing this to gauge interest, I have more than enough knowledge at this point to also implement animation compilation for Halo 2 Vista, however I'm not sure how large that community is.

So introducing...

Bonobo [Version 1.0.0.3]

Requirements:

Features:

• Open Halo 1 (CE/PC), Halo 2 (Xbox), Halo 3, and Halo: ODST maps.

• View Halo 1 and Halo 2 tags in full using extracted tag definitions.

• Extract Halo 2, Halo 3, and Halo ODST Animations to source files (jma/jmo/jmr/etc.)

• Includes proper extraction for overlay and replacement animations.

Known Bugs:

• Memory Leak when opening tags (this is a big one, I know how to fix but at this point I don't really have the time).

• Can't open sbsp tags (I never bothered implementing loading of the sbsp tags from the cache, probably should've hid them in the treeview)

• Some overlay and replacement animations don't have a base animation specified, thus they have nothing to overlay onto so they can't extract properly, but they will compile fine.

Tutorials:

• Open Tags:

• 1. In Bonobo, open a supported cache file

• 2. Double click a tag from the treeview you want to open.

• 3. A new tab will open containing the read contents of the selected tag.

• Extract Animations:

• 1. In Bonobo, open a supported cache file

• 2. Locate the "model_animation_graph" taggroup in the treeview and expand its contents.

• 3. Right click a tag in the treeview and select "Extract Source Files".

• 4. Choose a save location and click "OK", you will be prompted when the extraction is complete.

• 5. You can compile right into Halo CE OR import onto an existing model using the provided Animation_Source_Importer maxscript.

Included in the .zip are some maxscripts to aide in viewing the files if you want to modify the files before compiling or just to view the files in 3ds max. All scripts tested in gmax and 3ds max 2019.

Maxscripts:

• Animation_Source_Importer_v1-0-0.ms - Can be used to import the extracted animation source files (jma/jmo/jmr/etc.) onto an extracted model

• JMS_Exporter_v1-0-4.ms - A Corrected version of TheGhost's jms exporter that exports the node list using a breadth first alphabetical approach, this is necessary to get the node graphs to match the extracted source files so the models/animations play nicely in engine

• JMSModel_Importer_v1-0-2.ms - A JMS importer script for importing Halo 1 and Halo 2 JMS source files

Credits:

• Kornman00 - open sauce source code helped me get back up to speed with the cache file formats

• CtrlAltDestroy - his h2 animation extractor helped me get back up to speed with the animation format I helped reverse engineer back in the day

• ShadowSpartan - not much help, but talking on xbox was kind of a rubber duck debugging method I suppose

• TheGhost - Referencing his GbxModelImporter helped in the development of the JMS Importer

• Masterchief icon illustration by Joseph A Barrientos

https://imgur.com/a/qPPRDdO

Versions:

• 1.0.0.0 - Initial Release

• 1.0.0.1 - Bugfix: fixing first person animation extraction.

• 1.0.0.2 - Bugfix: fixing ODST animation extractions.

• 1.0.0.3 - Minor code refactoring.

Download:
Version 1.0.0.3 - https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtvYI8x0KxMRhdVzm-tw_D5BHKf8zQ?e=aeyrpS

NOTE: Bonobo does not extract models, so please use Adjutant to extract your models. Then you can import the extracted animations onto them.

- LaikaGlove AKA Choking Victim
Edited by LaikaGlove on May 20, 2019 at 07:18 PM
Edited by LaikaGlove on May 20, 2019 at 07:19 PM
Edited by LaikaGlove on May 20, 2019 at 08:48 PM
Edited by LaikaGlove on May 21, 2019 at 12:39 PM
Edited by LaikaGlove on May 21, 2019 at 07:25 PM
Edited by LaikaGlove on May 21, 2019 at 07:30 PM
Edited by LaikaGlove on May 21, 2019 at 07:30 PM
Edited by LaikaGlove on Jun 6, 2019 at 08:25 AM

Kinnet

FeelsGoodMan

Posted: May 20, 2019 07:11 PM    Msg. 2 of 126       
wow I never thought i'd see the day that animations were going to be extractable from those games. Thanks
Edited by Kinnet on May 20, 2019 at 07:12 PM

DeadHamster

https://discord.gg/Neu4EJM

Posted: May 20, 2019 07:15 PM    Msg. 3 of 126       
Quote: --- Original message by: LaikaGlove
I have more than enough knowledge at this point to also implement animation compilation for Halo 2 Vista

It's very small but very, very appreciative.

Edit: Hold up. I actually read the topic now. You're telling me this thing rips straight to the .jmo or whatever? Not to a format that you import into 3ds max that you than re-export back out?

Wow man this is incredible thank you so much. When MCC comes around this will be a great asset to have. I actually expect to start using it well before then.

Edited by DeadHamster on May 20, 2019 at 07:20 PM

Masters1337

halonaminator's unfortunate idol

Posted: May 20, 2019 07:19 PM    Msg. 4 of 126       
Good to see you back! Awesome work!

LaikaGlove

Posted: May 20, 2019 07:23 PM    Msg. 5 of 126       
Quote: --- Original message by: DeadHamster

I have more than enough knowledge at this point to also implement animation compilation for Halo 2 Vista

It's very small but very, very appreciative.

Edit: Hold up. I actually read the topic now. You're telling me this thing rips straight to the .jmo or whatever? Not to a format that you import into 3ds max that you than re-export back out?

Wow man this is incredible thank you so much. When MCC comes around this will be a great asset to have. I actually expect to start using it well before then.

Edited by DeadHamster on May 20, 2019 at 07:20 PM

That's correct, it extracts straight to the source files and even properly extracts overlays and replacements (if it finds a valid base animation for it).

Tachikoma

Mobile Suit enthusiast

Posted: May 20, 2019 07:48 PM    Msg. 6 of 126       
Is Halo Online support out of the question? It'd be a nice thing seeing as how that has Halo 4/Reach animations ported over!

Thank you so much for this, oh my god.

SBB_Michelle

Floof

Posted: May 20, 2019 08:00 PM    Msg. 7 of 126       
I appreciate all of the words every single one of you is saying, but you're forgetting one important question.

Can we have the source? Please pretty please give us the source so that we can soak up that knowledge and possibly make different tools using it.

Most of our recent advancements in this community in the last few years has been because of people making their tools opensource and people working off each other and helping each other out.

LaikaGlove

Posted: May 20, 2019 08:09 PM    Msg. 8 of 126       
Quote: --- Original message by: Tachikoma
Is Halo Online support out of the question? It'd be a nice thing seeing as how that has Halo 4/Reach animations ported over!

That depends on how similar the map format is to halo 3, also technically reach support isn't off the table since I don't think the animation codec format changed until halo 4.

Quote: --- Original message by: SBB_Michelle
I appreciate all of the words every single one of you is saying, but you're forgetting one important question.

Can we have the source? Please pretty please give us the source so that we can soak up that knowledge and possibly make different tools using it.

Most of our recent advancements in this community in the last few years has been because of people making their tools opensource and people working off each other and helping each other out.

I completely understand, this is something I thought about for awhile myself and I wasn't quite ready to release the source in the state it's in. If there's enough interest in the community I wanted to continue working on it, since I had a few ideas and improvements to make myself.

Tachikoma

Mobile Suit enthusiast

Posted: May 20, 2019 08:13 PM    Msg. 9 of 126       

That depends on how similar the map format is to halo 3, also technically reach support isn't off the table since I don't think the animation codec format changed until halo 4.

From what I understand, they're nearly the exact same.

Your first error report! Using Halo 2 Xbox.

----5/20/2019 5:04:54 PM----
System.Exception: Error extracting source files for jmad tag objects\characters\masterchief\fp\weapons\rifle\fp_smg\fp_smg. ---> System.Exception: Error extracting model_animation_graph tag objects\characters\masterchief\fp\weapons\rifle\fp_smg\fp_smg ---> System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
Parameter name: index
at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException(ExceptionArgument argument, ExceptionResource resource)
at System.Collections.Generic.List`1.get_Item(Int32 index)
at Blam.Assets.Animations.Animation..ctor(IList`1 defaultNodes, animation_data animationData)
at Blam.Games.Halo2.Tags.model_animation_graph_group.Extract(CacheReader reader, String path)
at Blam.Games.Game.ExtractCacheIndexItemSource(CacheIndexItem cacheIndexItem, String path)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Blam.Games.Game.ExtractCacheIndexItemSource(CacheIndexItem cacheIndexItem, String path)
at Bonobo.ViewModel.MainViewModel.ExtractSource(Object parameter)
at Bonobo.RelayCommand`1.Execute(T parameter)
at Bonobo.RelayCommand`1.System.Windows.Input.ICommand.Execute(Object parameter)
at MS.Internal.Commands.CommandHelpers.CriticalExecuteCommandSource(ICommandSource commandSource, Boolean userInitiated)
at System.Windows.Controls.MenuItem.InvokeClickAfterRender(Object arg)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

EDIT: I have both .NET versions listed installed.
Edited by Tachikoma on May 20, 2019 at 08:16 PM

LaikaGlove

Posted: May 20, 2019 08:26 PM    Msg. 10 of 126       

From what I understand, they're nearly the exact same.

Your first error report! Using Halo 2 Xbox.

----5/20/2019 5:04:54 PM----
System.Exception: Error extracting source files for jmad tag objects\characters\masterchief\fp\weapons\rifle\fp_smg\fp_smg. ---> System.Exception: Error extracting model_animation_graph tag objects\characters\masterchief\fp\weapons\rifle\fp_smg\fp_smg ---> System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
Parameter name: index
at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException(ExceptionArgument argument, ExceptionResource resource)
at System.Collections.Generic.List`1.get_Item(Int32 index)
at Blam.Assets.Animations.Animation..ctor(IList`1 defaultNodes, animation_data animationData)
at Blam.Games.Halo2.Tags.model_animation_graph_group.Extract(CacheReader reader, String path)
at Bonobo.RelayCommand`1.Execute(T parameter)
at Bonobo.RelayCommand`1.System.Windows.Input.ICommand.Execute(Object parameter)
at MS.Internal.Commands.CommandHelpers.CriticalExecuteCommandSource(ICommandSource commandSource, Boolean userInitiated)
at System.Windows.Controls.MenuItem.InvokeClickAfterRender(Object arg)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

EDIT: I have both .NET versions listed installed.
Edited by Tachikoma on May 20, 2019 at 08:16 PM

Thanks, I found the issue and will upload a fix later, looking into supporting halo online as you requested while I'm at it though. In the meantime the issue you encountered is probably only on first person animations.

Tachikoma

Mobile Suit enthusiast

Posted: May 20, 2019 08:36 PM    Msg. 11 of 126       
Forum MVP absolutely goes to you man, thank you so much.

LaikaGlove

Posted: May 20, 2019 08:50 PM    Msg. 12 of 126       
Forum MVP absolutely goes to you man, thank you so much.

I just changed the download link in the first post to a fixed version for the issue extracting fp animations.

I have some bad news though, Halo Online's map format looks much different, it seems they use some shared .dat files for all the common tags and resources in lieu of shared.map/mainmenu.map. So I don't think I'll be supporting halo online anytime soon unfortunately.

Edit: Also one thing to note about first person animations. If you're importing them into 3ds max using the script, then you need to manually position the gun in the right hand of the fp arms model first, then import the animation. I also haven't tried straight up compiling a first person animation into CE, so let me know how that works out.
Edited by LaikaGlove on May 20, 2019 at 08:59 PM

Tachikoma

Mobile Suit enthusiast

Posted: May 20, 2019 08:58 PM    Msg. 13 of 126       
There's this, which is essentially an open github that contains research on the Halo Online formats. Perhaps that could help?

https://github.com/TheGuardians/TagTool

Other than that, thank you.

EDIT: Importing straight to CE works, albeit I only tried a walking anim.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/561853771227856898/580200186165461014/Halo_Custom_Edition_2019.05.20_-_18.07.27.21.mp4
Edited by Tachikoma on May 21, 2019 at 12:03 AM

Wheatley

Cono 256

Posted: May 21, 2019 01:16 AM    Msg. 14 of 126       

Impresive. Really impresive.

Spiral

I hope i'm out of the way

Posted: May 21, 2019 01:58 AM    Msg. 15 of 126       
I figured I'd release what I have because it's still an asset to the community. I'm not sure how many people are still active around here, but I was hoping with the soon to be release of MCC for PC there would be a spark of new activity

People who think this way are fantastic to me. Thank you so much and I'm glad to see a tool like this make it to the public custom edition community after such a long time. I really really appreciate it.

Tachikoma

Mobile Suit enthusiast

Posted: May 21, 2019 02:48 AM    Msg. 16 of 126       
MY FINDINGS FOR FP STUFF (for people who need it)

It's best to go through notepad++, mass rename all the bones necessary (especially for zteam, and if you're using elites), reimport into Max and export out. going thru notepad++ only gives the possibility you might not see a weapon or another problem occurs. You may also need to fresh export out a weapon model as I had to due to zteam adding extra nodes.

I'm open to making a video tutorial later but I don't have a clean audio setup.

If you do everything right you should get something like this.

https://youtu.be/ybZP_23K4sk
Edited by Tachikoma on May 21, 2019 at 03:15 AM

Bungie LLC

friendly neighborhood contrarian funposter

Posted: May 21, 2019 04:02 AM    Msg. 17 of 126       
This is amazing.

At this point, all we need is an application or toolset in this same vein that deals with collision geometry, and we'll have virtually a complete pipeline for content porting from newer Halo titles, at least up to third generation. Very interesting stuff here, thanks for sharing!

EDIT: Just realized OP was CV. Glad to have you back.
Edited by Bungie LLC on May 21, 2019 at 04:05 AM

Vaporeon

Vap~

Posted: May 21, 2019 05:40 AM    Msg. 18 of 126       
I completely understand, this is something I thought about for awhile myself and I wasn't quite ready to release the source in the state it's in. If there's enough interest in the community I wanted to continue working on it, since I had a few ideas and improvements to make myself.

Any source is better than no source, as at least it's out there and not at risk of disappearing into nothing.

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: May 21, 2019 07:02 AM    Msg. 19 of 126       
https://youtu.be/ybZP_23K4sk
Edited by Tachikoma on May 21, 2019 at 03:15 AM

Ooooh mama that's some good stuff

DeadHamster

Posted: May 21, 2019 09:18 AM    Msg. 20 of 126       
Quote: --- Original message by: Spiral
People who think this way are fantastic to me. Thank you so much and I'm glad to see a tool like this make it to the public custom edition community after such a long time. I really really appreciate it.

I really don't want to be the debbie-downer here. I really, really appreciate what CV just did for the community, and don't want to bring up things that happened a decade ago.

But the rumors have always been that Zteam has had animation extraction since forever. I don't know, I wasn't on the team or in relevant parties, but the rumor was always that Zteam had animation extractors for at the very least back in Halo 2 days. Zteam also protected all of their content, before releasing their tagset unprotected at the end.

All said and done most of Zteams stuff ended up public. But they were one of the bad ones at keeping things secret and to themselves. I know very little, I was a lowly PC modder making meta swaps with HMT when Zteam was actually a thing, LaikaGlove can obviously tell this story better than myself.

Laika- I'm sure you intend to release the source, but along with what Vaporeon and Michelle have said, I'm gonna recommend an archived source be uploaded somewhere just as a backup. Nobody is going to make a fork while you're still active, and it'll ensure that if you suddenly disappear as quickly as you've reappeared, then we aren't stuck here with a partially-broken tool that could potentially do amazing things. Also, there's a lot of smart people here. Someone could definitely help out and figure some things out.

In the end you're well within your rights to tell all of us to f*** off and keep the source to yourself. This is a huge gift to the community and we have to be grateful for it. But the standard now is that everything is released open-sourced, unprotected in as accessible a format as possible.

If you don't want to do that now, maybe send Masterz an archive of the source? He doesn't know how to do anything with it, the rest of the community knows it exists with him, and you don't have to worry about someone making a fork and messing everything up while you're still around.

LaikaGlove

Posted: May 21, 2019 09:36 AM    Msg. 21 of 126       
Quote: --- Original message by: DeadHamster
Quote: --- Original message by: Spiral

I really don't want to be the debbie-downer here. I really, really appreciate what CV just did for the community, and don't want to bring up things that happened a decade ago.

But the rumors have always been that Zteam has had animation extraction since forever. I don't know, I wasn't on the team or in relevant parties, but the rumor was always that Zteam had animation extractors for at the very least back in Halo 2 days. Zteam also protected all of their content, before releasing their tagset unprotected at the end.

All said and done most of Zteams stuff ended up public. But they were one of the bad ones at keeping things secret and to themselves. I know very little, I was a lowly PC modder making meta swaps with HMT when Zteam was actually a thing, LaikaGlove can obviously tell this story better than myself.

Laika- I'm sure you intend to release the source, but along with what Vaporeon and Michelle have said, I'm gonna recommend an archived source be uploaded somewhere just as a backup. Nobody is going to make a fork while you're still active, and it'll ensure that if you suddenly disappear as quickly as you've reappeared, then we aren't stuck here with a partially-broken tool that could potentially do amazing things. Also, there's a lot of smart people here. Someone could definitely help out and figure some things out.

In the end you're well within your rights to tell all of us to f*** off and keep the source to yourself. This is a huge gift to the community and we have to be grateful for it. But the standard now is that everything is released open-sourced, unprotected in as accessible a format as possible.

If you don't want to do that now, maybe send Masterz an archive of the source? He doesn't know how to do anything with it, the rest of the community knows it exists with him, and you don't have to worry about someone making a fork and messing everything up while you're still around.

Basically yes, we had a plethora of tools at our disposal back in the day (that I've since lost in a HDD crash) that would've been majorly useful to the community. Including animation extraction for h3/odst which we developed shortly after we figured out h2 animations. For the most part I think we all felt that releasing tools to extract (aka:steal) art assets from Microsoft's billion dollar franchise in its heyday was probably not the best and brightest idea. You can argue that there were already tools out there to do just that and nothing ever came of it, but I think litigation was a pretty real (and justified on their part) threat.

DeadHamster

Posted: May 21, 2019 09:57 AM    Msg. 22 of 126       
Yeah that's definitely a valid viewpoint. Microsoft Lawyers can be an intimidating force, even if they're only a theoretic potential. I've always felt the reason we didn't get a proper Halo sequel on PC was directly due to the amount of ripped content from H2/H3. We showed we couldn't be trusted more or less. In the end, it might've been for the best the community only got what it did, but you'd be very hard pressed to convince the DeadHamster from 10 years ago of that same idea. Many will argue that "They didn't give us Halo on PC so that's what we did", but at that point you're arguing if the chicken came before the egg.

Again, cannot thank you enough for making this available and I don't want to disparage any of the work Zteam has done in the past or that you're doing now in the present. You can see in this thread already that people are putting the program to use, and I know it'll continue to be used going forward.

ODX

A rare sight, indeed.

Posted: May 21, 2019 11:28 AM    Msg. 23 of 126       
I understand the fear of Microsoft litigation during Halo's peak years (2007-2011 or so), and I think that was something Zteam made mention of, but I still am upset about how dickish Zteam acted at times dangling these tools over everyone's heads. The description of CAD's video of the Halo 3 AR reload in particular pissed me off: "h3 model/animation extraction, c**ts"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMVYjv3Hd5A

It was childish and not something I can forgive. That said, I do express my great appreciation that the tools are being released and admit you had no obligation to offer anything even after all these years. And I can't entirely blame keeping secrets back then as the community was rampantly bitter regarding stolen content, locking maps from tag extraction, protecting egos and otherwise being toxic. While I'm rarely here nowadays, it seems things have greatly calmed down. I'm certainly happy to release anything I have and know the community (and the world, though that's a more philosophical conversation) is better off when people are open to sharing.

So, sincerely, thank you for coming back, challenging yourself, and releasing the tools for the community. I do hope to see you over the next year as MCC releases on PC. Perhaps others who have been long gone will return as well and maybe we can make some cool stuff again, together.

Alpu

Posted: May 21, 2019 11:55 AM    Msg. 24 of 126       
So i played around with this tool and the scripts. the tool works, but the max scripts wont work on 3ds max 5, 3ds max 2016, 3ds max 2018, 3ds max 2019 or gmax. i just get this message.

"--unable to convert: undefined to type: float"

S12Spark

Posted: May 21, 2019 12:04 PM    Msg. 25 of 126       
Thank you for creating and releasing this. While the community may not seem as active as it was back in the day, there are still people who will put this to good use and truly appreciate all the work that went into it. Thank you for your time.

epicplayer

Posted: May 21, 2019 12:14 PM    Msg. 26 of 126       
I'm really looking forward to being able to use this tool, but I'm having an app crash when I start up Bonobo.exe.

A few notes:
I'm using Windows 7
.NET Framework 4.6 didn't install because "a later update is already installed on this computer."
.Net Framework 4.6.2 Update installed successfully after I restarted my PC.

Can someone help me out here? It'd be much appreciated.

LaikaGlove

Posted: May 21, 2019 12:19 PM    Msg. 27 of 126       
Quote: --- Original message by: ODX
I understand the fear of Microsoft litigation during Halo's peak years (2007-2011 or so), and I think that was something Zteam made mention of, but I still am upset about how dickish Zteam acted at times dangling these tools over everyone's heads. The description of CAD's video of the Halo 3 AR reload in particular pissed me off: "h3 model/animation extraction, c**ts"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMVYjv3Hd5A

It was childish and not something I can forgive. That said, I do express my great appreciation that the tools are being released and admit you had no obligation to offer anything even after all these years. And I can't entirely blame keeping secrets back then as the community was rampantly bitter regarding stolen content, locking maps from tag extraction, protecting egos and otherwise being toxic. While I'm rarely here nowadays, it seems things have greatly calmed down. I'm certainly happy to release anything I have and know the community (and the world, though that's a more philosophical conversation) is better off when people are open to sharing.

So, sincerely, thank you for coming back, challenging yourself, and releasing the tools for the community. I do hope to see you over the next year as MCC releases on PC. Perhaps others who have been long gone will return as well and maybe we can make some cool stuff again, together.

I won't sit here and defend CAD's youtube description there, but I do remember a lot of salt back in the day over the tools not being released so perhaps he was just frustrated when he posted the video. The past is the past though, glad I could release something of use.

Quote: --- Original message by: Alpu
So i played around with this tool and the scripts. the tool works, but the max scripts wont work on 3ds max 5, 3ds max 2016, 3ds max 2018, 3ds max 2019 or gmax. i just get this message.

"--unable to convert: undefined to type: float"

Which animation are you trying to import? It sounds like the file is either corrupt or didn't extract properly.

Quote: --- Original message by: epicplayer
I'm really looking forward to being able to use this tool, but I'm having an app crash when I start up Bonobo.exe.

A few notes:
I'm using Windows 7
.NET Framework 4.6 didn't install because "a later update is already installed on this computer."
.Net Framework 4.6.2 Update installed successfully after I restarted my PC.

Can someone help me out here? It'd be much appreciated.

Is there anything in your debug.log? Should be in the same place as Bonobo.exe
Edited by LaikaGlove on May 21, 2019 at 12:19 PM

Alpu

Posted: May 21, 2019 12:34 PM    Msg. 28 of 126       
That happends if i try importing any .jms file or any animation. i have tried bunch of files from Halo 2 and halo 3 but no luck.

Would the error message in the "3ds max script listener" help ?
Edited by Alpu on May 21, 2019 at 12:37 PM

LaikaGlove

Posted: May 21, 2019 12:38 PM    Msg. 29 of 126       
That happends if i try importing any .jms file or any animation. i have tried bunch of files from Halo 2 and halo 3 but no luck.

Ohh, are you trying to import .jms files extracted using Adjutant?

Unfortunately Adjutant doesn't extract .jms files properly so that won't work. Try extracting as .amf, then you should be able to import animations onto that model. If you export the model as .jms using bluestreak or blitzkrieg then you should be able to import the resulting .jms again using the jms importer script.

Alpu

Posted: May 21, 2019 01:09 PM    Msg. 30 of 126       
Yeah that was what i was trying yeah. So i did try importing as .amf and then importing animations on that. i just got the exact same error message. then i tried to export as a .jms but it just said

"BlueStreak Error 3"
there is no actors to export.
Export module failure

i also tried as .emf just to be sure but nope, exactly the same :/. Im wondering if it has anything to do with my 3ds being Student version ?

Also thanks for these quick replies.

epicplayer

Posted: May 21, 2019 01:14 PM    Msg. 31 of 126       

There ain't no debug.log here (cant post images because my account is too new):

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/475805841463836676/580441045477621770/bonobo1.png

Also here's the crash info:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/475805841463836676/580441065346301972/bonobo2.png

LaikaGlove

Posted: May 21, 2019 01:22 PM    Msg. 32 of 126       
Yeah that was what i was trying yeah. So i did try importing as .amf and then importing animations on that. i just got the exact same error message. then i tried to export as a .jms but it just said

"BlueStreak Error 3"
there is no actors to export.
Export module failure

i also tried as .emf just to be sure but nope, exactly the same :/. Im wondering if it has anything to do with my 3ds being Student version ?

Also thanks for these quick replies.

I'm using 3ds max 2019 and it's fine, I doubt it's because of a student version. What's the error in the maxscript listener?

That bluestreak error usually happens if you haven't linked your geometry to a parent node, see the FAQ's here: http://ghost.halomaps.org/bluestreak/jms/

Also, just to clarify, you're getting the maxscript error when you run Animation_Source_Importer_v1-0-0.ms and try to import a jma/jmm/jmo/jmr file extracted with bonobo?

There ain't no debug.log here (cant post images because my account is too new):

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/475805841463836676/580441045477621770/bonobo1.png

Also here's the crash info:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/475805841463836676/580441065346301972/bonobo2.png

I'm not sure what the problem is here, do you have all the windows 7 service packs installed?
Edited by LaikaGlove on May 21, 2019 at 01:24 PM

epicplayer

Posted: May 21, 2019 01:50 PM    Msg. 33 of 126       

I'm not sure what the problem is here, do you have all the windows 7 service packs installed?

Only Service Pack 1.

LaikaGlove

Posted: May 21, 2019 02:02 PM    Msg. 34 of 126       

Only Service Pack 1.

I think service pack 1 is required for .Net Framework 4.6 so that's good. Can you try running the Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=246062

You said .NET Framework 4.6 didn't install because you had 4.6.2 which should be backwards compatible with 4.6. Other than that I'm not sure, you may want to google around for people with similar issues running .net applications on windows 7.

Alpu

Posted: May 21, 2019 02:09 PM    Msg. 35 of 126       
Yeah so im trying to import the .Jma animations to the model with that script yeah. this is what i got in the maxscript listener this time. i tried to work with the Halo 2 hunter

-- Animation Importer v1 by LaikaGlove --
Using max version: 21.0
"Opened File: C:\Users\samu\Desktop\Hunter\hunter anims\objects\characters\hunter\animations\crouch unarmed idle 2 combat idle.JMA"
"-------------------------------------------------------"
"Frame Count: 23"
"Frame Rate: 30"
"Actor Blocks: 1"
"Node Blocks: 28"
"Node List Checksum: 321651968"
-- MAXScript Rollout Handler Exception:
-- Unable to convert: undefined to type: Float
-- MAXScript callstack:
-- thread data: threadID:2076
-- ------------------------------------------------------
-- [stack level: 0]
-- In read3DPointValue(); filename: C:\Users\samu\Downloads\Bonobo\maxscripts\Animation_Source_Importer_v1-0-0.ms; position: 3007; line: 125
-- Locals:
-- values: #("0,1425067", "0,3928784", "38,96292")
-- x: undefined
-- value: "0,1425067 0,3928784 38,96292"
-- y: undefined
-- z: undefined
-- Externals:
-- readStringValue: Global:readStringValue : readStringValue()
-- owner: undefined
-- [stack level: 1]
-- called from n loop; filename: C:\Users\samu\Downloads\Bonobo\maxscripts\Animation_Source_Importer_v1-0-0.ms; position: 8168; line: 299
-- Parameters:
-- n: 1
-- Locals:
-- n: 1
-- Externals:
-- read3DPointValue: Global:read3DPointValue : read3DPointValue()
-- readQuaternionValue: Global:readQuaternionValue : readQuaternionValue()
-- f: Free:f : 1
-- readFloatValue: Global:readFloatValue : readFloatValue()
-- animation_frame_blocks: Global:animation_frame_blocks : #((animation_frame_block animation_node_blocks:#((animation_node_block translation:#() rotation:#() scale:1.0))))
-- animation_node_block: Global:animation_node_block : StructDef:animation_node_block
-- [stack level: 2]
-- called from f loop; filename: C:\Users\samu\Downloads\Bonobo\maxscripts\Animation_Source_Importer_v1-0-0.ms; position: 8353; line: 302
-- Parameters:
-- f: 1
-- Locals:
-- f: 1
-- Externals:
-- node_block_count: Global:node_block_count : 28
-- animation_frame_blocks: Global:animation_frame_blocks : #((animation_frame_block animation_node_blocks:#((animation_node_block translation:#() rotation:#() scale:1.0))))
-- animation_frame_block: Global:animation_frame_block : StructDef:animation_frame_block
-- [stack level: 3]
-- called from load_button.pressed(); filename: C:\Users\samu\Downloads\Bonobo\maxscripts\Animation_Source_Importer_v1-0-0.ms; position: 8361; line: 303
-- member of: Rollout:roll
-- Locals:
-- end1: undefined
-- start1: 75699100
-- Externals:
-- actor_block_count: Global:actor_block_count : 1
-- node_list_checksum: Global:node_list_checksum : 321651968
-- node_blocks: Global:node_blocks : #((node_block name:"pelvis" first_child_node_index:1 next_sibling_node_index:-1 parent_node_index:-1), (node_block name:"l_thigh" first_child_node_index:5 next_sibling_node_index:2 parent_node_index:0), (node_block name:"physics_control" first_child_node_index:-1 next_sibling_node_index:3 parent_node_index:0), (node_block name:"r_thigh" first_child_node_index:6 next_sibling_node_index:4 parent_node_index:0), (node_block name:"spine" first_child_node_index:7 next_sibling_node_index:-1 parent_node_index:0), (node_block name:"l_calf" first_child_node_index:8 next_sibling_node_index:-1 parent_node_index:1), (node_block name:"r_calf" first_child_node_index:9 next_sibling_node_index:-1 parent_node_index:3), (node_block name:"spine1" first_child_node_index:10 next_sibling_node_index:-1 parent_node_index:4), (node_block name:"l_foot" first_child_node_index:20 next_sibling_node_index:-1 parent_node_index:5), (node_block name:"r_foot" first_child_node_index:21 next_sibling_node_index:-1 parent_node_index:6), (node_block name:"headextend" first_child_node_index:-1 next_sibling_node_index:11 parent_node_index:7), (node_block name:"l_clavicle" first_child_node_index:22 next_sibling_node_index:12 parent_node_index:7), (node_block name:"neck" first_child_node_index:-1 next_sibling_node_index:13 parent_node_index:7), (node_block name:"r_clavicle" first_child_node_index:23 next_sibling_node_index:14 parent_node_index:7), (node_block name:"spike_bottom_left" first_child_node_index:-1 next_sibling_node_index:15 parent_node_index:7), (node_block name:"spike_bottom_right" first_child_node_index:-1 next_sibling_node_index:16 parent_node_index:7), (node_block name:"spike_middle_left" first_child_node_index:-1 next_sibling_node_index:17 parent_node_index:7), (node_block name:"spike_middle_right" first_child_node_index:-1 next_sibling_node_index:18 parent_node_index:7), (node_block name:"spike_top_left" first_child_node_index:-1 next_sibling_node_index:19 parent_node_index:7), (node_block name:"spike_top_right" first_child_node_index:-1 next_sibling_node_index:-1 parent_node_index:7), ...)
-- in_file: Global:in_file : <File:C:\Users\samu\Desktop\Hunter\hunter anims\objects\characters\hunter\animations\crouch unarmed idle 2 combat idle.JMA>
-- version: Global:version : "16392"
-- readStringValue: Global:readStringValue : readStringValue()
-- frame_rate: Global:frame_rate : 30
-- owner: Rollout:roll
-- unload_button: RolloutControl:unload_button in rollout:roll : ButtonControl:unload_button
-- readIntegerValue: Global:readIntegerValue : readIntegerValue()
-- actor_blocks: Global:actor_blocks : #((actor_block name:"unnamedActor"))
-- node_block_count: Global:node_block_count : 28
-- edt_animation: RolloutControl:edt_animation in rollout:roll : EditTextControl:edt_animation
-- roll: Rollout:roll
-- in_name: Global:in_name : "C:\Users\samu\Desktop\Hunter\hunter anims\objects\characters\hunter\animations\crouch unarmed idle 2 combat idle.JMA"
-- import_button: RolloutControl:import_button in rollout:roll : ButtonControl:import_button
-- frame_count: Global:frame_count : 23
-- [stack level: 4]
-- called from top-level

Page 1 of 4 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · 4 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Thu July 18, 2019 8:59 PM 109 ms.
A Halo Maps Website