A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »[Utility] Bonobo - Halo 2/3/ODST Animation Extraction

Page 4 of 5 Go to page: · 1 · 2 · 3 · [4] · 5 · Prev · Next
Author Topic: [Utility] Bonobo - Halo 2/3/ODST Animation Extraction (142 messages, Page 4 of 5)
Moderators: Dennis

MosesofEgypt

Posted: May 31, 2019 12:27 AM    Msg. 106 of 142       
Python 3 to be specific. If you're interested, here's my repositories.
https://bitbucket.org/Moses_of_Egypt/

MEK is the Moses Editing Kit, which contains my replacements for Guerilla and HEK+, a lovely wrapper for Tool, and a bunch of converters. Mozzarilla is the replacement Guerilla, Refinery is the replacement HEK+, Binilla is what most of Mozzarilla is built on, Supyr Struct is a binary structure handling library, and Reclaimer is my library for interfacing with all things Halo.

If anything, Reclaimer is probably what you'd be interested in browsing through. One of the things it contains is definitions for every tag structure(including most of the hidden fields and their purposes). If you're interested in talking with all of us in an active Discord server, here's ours:

https://discord.gg/D7APNj7

LaikaGlove

Posted: May 31, 2019 11:51 AM    Msg. 107 of 142       
Quote: --- Original message by: MosesofEgypt
Python 3 to be specific. If you're interested, here's my repositories.
https://bitbucket.org/Moses_of_Egypt/

MEK is the Moses Editing Kit, which contains my replacements for Guerilla and HEK+, a lovely wrapper for Tool, and a bunch of converters. Mozzarilla is the replacement Guerilla, Refinery is the replacement HEK+, Binilla is what most of Mozzarilla is built on, Supyr Struct is a binary structure handling library, and Reclaimer is my library for interfacing with all things Halo.

If anything, Reclaimer is probably what you'd be interested in browsing through. One of the things it contains is definitions for every tag structure(including most of the hidden fields and their purposes). If you're interested in talking with all of us in an active Discord server, here's ours:

https://discord.gg/D7APNj7

Tag Loading in Bonobo is already driven by code I generated from tag definitions extracted from the h1 and 2 HEK tools. That's how the tag viewer reads the tags for those games (ie. double click a tag in the treeview to view its contents).

Thanks though, I may take a look at your stuff later.

MosesofEgypt

Posted: Jun 1, 2019 03:14 AM    Msg. 108 of 142       
These definitions contain a lot of hidden fields that the HEK tools don't have included in their definitions. If we went just by what if in the definitions, many extracted tags would be broken.

Alexstr525

Posted: Jun 2, 2019 05:14 PM    Msg. 109 of 142       
Quote: --- Original message by: LaikaGlove

Quote: --- Original message by: epicplayer

There's no problem with the JMT animations from what I can see...

It's definitly broken on the "turn and attack" animations for the flood as an example.

Those animations use dx,dy,dyaw frame info, which is the same as the turn-left and turn-right animations. The turn-left and turn-right animations seem fine and their frame info is calculated in the same exact way, not sure why it would work on some but not others. Tell me if you see any other animations that are like that.

EDIT: I just compared my extracted flood combat elite's "combat rifle surprise_back" animations from Bonobo and CtrlAltDestr0y's h2 animation importer maxscript and they're exactly the same. I'm still not convinced there's an issue with them.
Edited by LaikaGlove on May 22, 2019 at 08:27 PM

It's great to see someone finally making some great tools for animation extraction, especially for Halo 3. The problem I'm having and had to fix manually was the turning attack/turning animations. Anything that involved rotational data seemed to be really finicky. I'm assuming you're inheriting the rotation data from the pelvic bone, rather than creating any kind of "root" or "master" bone. There's a few problems with doing it this way, since you're subtracting or adding any kind of root motion or core rotation data with the already adjusted bone rotation. For example, if you were to load any kind of attack right animation and forcefully turned the model by the pelvis bone to the right (by 90 degrees), the animation would look "almost" proper. So it seems like the model itself could be interpreting the rotational data incorrectly based off its local position (in this sense, it faces left instead of forward so maybe the offset is just not agreeing with it.)

If I might suggest, I'd like see what happens if you were to export with a bone containing all the root locomotion data in it, rather than having the pelvis inherit it. Just so the pelvis ins't inheriting everything locomotion/rotation wise (this should stop the jittering too, theoretically speaking). Then again the hunter model had some seriously awful weights, so I wouldn't put it past Bungie to have some faults in their animations too.

The Gravemind

I Am The Monument To All Your Sins

Posted: Jun 2, 2019 09:50 PM    Msg. 110 of 142       
Quote: --- Original message by: Alexstr525
It's great to see someone finally making some great tools for animation extraction, especially for Halo 3. The problem I'm having and had to fix manually was the turning attack/turning animations. Anything that involved rotational data seemed to be really finicky. I'm assuming you're inheriting the rotation data from the pelvic bone, rather than creating any kind of "root" or "master" bone. There's a few problems with doing it this way, since you're subtracting or adding any kind of root motion or core rotation data with the already adjusted bone rotation. For example, if you were to load any kind of attack right animation and forcefully turned the model by the pelvis bone to the right (by 90 degrees), the animation would look "almost" proper. So it seems like the model itself could be interpreting the rotational data incorrectly based off its local position (in this sense, it faces left instead of forward so maybe the offset is just not agreeing with it.)

If I might suggest, I'd like see what happens if you were to export with a bone containing all the root locomotion data in it, rather than having the pelvis inherit it. Just so the pelvis ins't inheriting everything locomotion/rotation wise (this should stop the jittering too, theoretically speaking). Then again the hunter model had some seriously awful weights, so I wouldn't put it past Bungie to have some faults in their animations too.

If i'm not mistaken, all halos before reach use the pelvis bone as the main parent. The animations have already been made using the pelvis so they will have to be re imported and edited to use the other bone. If i'm correct then that sounds like a major pain to do for each animation. The h3 marine animation graph for example, has a total of 1,041 different animations.

Alexstr525

Posted: Jun 2, 2019 10:13 PM    Msg. 111 of 142       
Quote: --- Original message by: The Gravemind
Quote: --- Original message by: Alexstr525

If i'm not mistaken, all halos before reach use the pelvis bone as the main parent. The animations have already been made using the pelvis so they will have to be re imported and edited to use the other bone. If i'm correct then that sounds like a major pain to do for each animation. The h3 marine animation graph for example, has a total of 1,041 different animations.

Indeed and the previous halos also have that problem. If anything, maybe some kind of option to export with that bone would be nice.

LaikaGlove

Posted: Jun 5, 2019 09:12 AM    Msg. 112 of 142       
Someone pointed out an issue where the obfuscator I used injected code to stop the app from working after the trial period.

This wasn't intentional and I wasn't aware the obfuscation did that, so I'll try and get a fix out later.

epicplayer

Posted: Jun 6, 2019 07:03 AM    Msg. 113 of 142       
Someone pointed out an issue where the obfuscator I used injected code to stop the app from working after the trial period.

Everybody gangsta 'til the Halo 3 anim extractor stops working.

LaikaGlove

Posted: Jun 6, 2019 08:26 AM    Msg. 114 of 142       
First post updated with a new download, sorry about that people.

PRPatxi

Dennis, free me from this suffering

Posted: Jun 6, 2019 01:56 PM    Msg. 115 of 142       
Is it written in C#?

Vaporeon

Vap~

Posted: Jun 8, 2019 03:26 PM    Msg. 116 of 142       

This wasn't intentional and I wasn't aware the obfuscation did that, so I'll try and get a fix out later.

Thanks for the good laugh.

LaikaGlove

Posted: Jun 8, 2019 05:39 PM    Msg. 117 of 142       
Quote: --- Original message by: Vaporeon

Thanks for the good laugh.

Dude, what is your deal?

SBB_Michelle

This site brings me pain.

Posted: Jun 10, 2019 12:51 AM    Msg. 118 of 142       
Edit: I might have been a bit out of line.
Edited by SBB_Michelle on Jun 12, 2019 at 12:02 PM

Vaporeon

Vap~

Posted: Jun 10, 2019 02:50 AM    Msg. 119 of 142       
Dude, what is your deal?

I am just strongly against obfuscation being used in cases like this as I find it very hypocritical. You are more than happy to read information from other more open tools and are also more than happy to reverse engineer the original game, but how DARE anyone even think of touching your stuff, even if only to help them like other sources helped you.

So yes, when the obfuscation backfired on you I find that funny. Other than that I have no issue here, and unlike what someone else may have claimed I'd have nothing bad to say at all.

LaikaGlove

Posted: Jun 10, 2019 08:11 AM    Msg. 120 of 142       
The source code to read animations like this has been available for almost two years now right here:
https://github.com/HaloMods/HaloContentToolScripts/blob/master/Halo2/h2_anim_extractor_batch2_9.ms

If you think you can do better, then by all means go for it.
Edited by LaikaGlove on Jun 10, 2019 at 08:45 AM
Edited by LaikaGlove on Jun 10, 2019 at 08:45 AM

videoman

We are Microsoft, Resistance is Futile

Posted: Jul 2, 2019 12:38 AM    Msg. 121 of 142       
Giving credit to Gravemind for passing on the news that a animation extraction tool had been released. Something Adjutant had been lacking for a very very long time and while it still is, it's so great to hear that a alternative has been released for the community to use and figure out.

Does this still export to file formats that can be imported into 3ds max? Since I still use it as my primary modeling program, would be really great to know if this will work with it.

Thanks!

Gravemind

sucks and is talentless

Posted: Jul 12, 2019 10:02 PM    Msg. 122 of 142       
@videoman

• Extract Animations:

• 5. You can compile right into Halo CE OR import onto an existing model using the provided Animation_Source_Importer maxscript.

• Included in the .zip are some maxscripts to aide in viewing the files if you want to modify the files before compiling or just to view the files in 3ds max. All scripts tested in gmax and 3ds max 2019.

Maxscripts:

• Animation_Source_Importer_v1-0-0.ms - Can be used to import the extracted animation source files (jma/jmo/jmr/etc.) onto an extracted model

LaikaGlove

Posted: Jul 14, 2019 10:21 AM    Msg. 123 of 142       
    Been kinda busy lately so I haven't had much time to work on this. But last night I made a little progress on Reach animations:

Still some stuff I need to figure out, but much closer than I was before.

No promises but Halo 4 extraction may not be far behind since it uses a revised version of this codec from reach, I'm not sure how much has changed though.

DeadHamster

https://discord.gg/Neu4EJM

Posted: Jul 14, 2019 10:57 AM    Msg. 124 of 142       
    Its incredible how useful this will be beyond Halo Custom Edition.

The Gravemind

I Am The Monument To All Your Sins

Posted: Jul 14, 2019 03:25 PM    Msg. 125 of 142       
    I feel... blessed. I never thought something like this would ever be possible.

VideoMixer

Posted: Jul 14, 2019 06:08 PM    Msg. 126 of 142       
    Been kinda busy lately so I haven't had much time to work on this. But last night I made a little progress on Reach animations:

-snip-

No promises but Halo 4 extraction may not be far behind since it uses a revised version of this codec from reach, I'm not sure how much has changed though.

That Reach animation is looking good. Great work so far!

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 09:00 PM    Msg. 127 of 142       

https://i.imgur.com/JjsMR2u.gif

Honestly can't wait. Here's hoping there's no real issues moving forward!

Limited

Posted: Jul 24, 2019 07:37 PM    Msg. 128 of 142       
    Quote: --- Original message by: Vaporeon
    Dude, what is your deal?

I am just strongly against obfuscation being used in cases like this as I find it very hypocritical. You are more than happy to read information from other more open tools and are also more than happy to reverse engineer the original game, but how DARE anyone even think of touching your stuff, even if only to help them like other sources helped you.

So yes, when the obfuscation backfired on you I find that funny. Other than that I have no issue here, and unlike what someone else may have claimed I'd have nothing bad to say at all.

How is that hypocritical? LaikaGlove spent time researching and reverse engineering the file structures himself, which you even highlighted. He also then spent time coding the tool, so why do you feel entitled to get the source code?

My question to you is, other types of mods such as SPV3 and other popular CE mods/maps, they don't release the source assets for the tags, they don't release bitmaps, models, animations etc. and no one expects them to. Yet there seems to be a common thread around here that source code is a right rather than a privilege. People releasing these tools to the public should be good enough.

I'll admit I chuckled at the obfuscator locking down the tool when the trial ran out but that was more out of the sneakiness of the obfuscator - I didn't even consider it might do that, it could easily happen to anyone.

Trust me I do know the benefits of source code being open for all, but there is also valid reasons for it to be closed off. Its really a developer's choice and should be case by case.

supersniper

fear the sniper

Posted: Jul 28, 2019 11:10 AM    Msg. 129 of 142       
    I agree with Limited on this, damn I haven't posted in here in ages.

As a dev at project cartographer we have 90% of our code open sourced, however sometimes obfuscating code or project files is a necessity.

Vaporeon, you should not expect a developer to always show everything they do.

EDIT : Btw, Laika do you have any interest in Halo 2 PC?
    EDIT : omg it's actually the 12 anniversary of my sign in date. Talk about coincidences.
    Edited by supersniper on Jul 28, 2019 at 11:11 AM
    Edited by supersniper on Jul 28, 2019 at 11:13 AM

Banshee64

oify

Posted: Jul 30, 2019 04:28 PM    Msg. 130 of 142       

https://i.imgur.com/JjsMR2u.gif

Amazing work as always

Don't even bother with Halo 4 lol

Nickster5000

Posted: Jul 31, 2019 02:32 AM    Msg. 131 of 142       
    Quote: --- Original message by: Banshee64
    Don't even bother with Halo 4 lol

LaikaGlove

Posted: Aug 2, 2019 09:32 AM    Msg. 132 of 142       
    Quote: --- Original message by: supersniper
    EDIT : Btw, Laika do you have any interest in Halo 2 PC?

Like I said a few pages back, I was going to look into compilation for h2v as well. However it looks like the H2Codez guys have that pretty close to working.

Also regardless of what you think of Halo 4 as a game, those animations are no doubt pretty dope: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIPG3T3fUhU&t=0m56s
    Edited by LaikaGlove on Aug 2, 2019 at 03:51 PM

Wingblast

Posted: Aug 2, 2019 05:00 PM    Msg. 133 of 142       
    I'd say go for it! If I ever get access to the Mantis animations I'm 100% going to make a fully functioning gmod addon out of it.

Awesome work by the way, keep up the good stuff.

Edited by Wingblast on Aug 2, 2019 at 05:10 PM

HattyHattington

goldkilla88

Posted: Aug 2, 2019 06:16 PM    Msg. 134 of 142       
    Incredible, It's so amazing to see this after so long. If MCC Halo PC actually ends up cross compatible with custom edition, I might have to hop back into modding and mess around even if just out of curiosity.

SgtFlex

Posted: Aug 4, 2019 03:30 PM    Msg. 135 of 142       
    I'm resuming some work from a few months ago and I remember coming across this issue. I was trying to get the Sentinel Enforcer from Halo 2 with some animations, and the animations runs, but it does this really weird thing where one of the arms is super stretched out.

https://i.imgur.com/lc7ZdAr.png

I remember reading another post in this thread somewhere to try using the frame edition AMF exporter instead, but it just results in this error.

https://i.imgur.com/vZJPxVB.png

Is there some additional stuff that I should be doing? Sorry, still new to all of this.

Gravemind

sucks and is talentless

Posted: Aug 4, 2019 05:41 PM    Msg. 136 of 142       
    @SgtFlex unless you specifically want the bones to be spheres instead of diamonds then the standard AMF script should be fine. There's an option called "SetBoneEnable" - if you untick this the bones will be unlocked from their parent which will make it work better with the animation imports.
    If that still doesn't work then check the envelopes and make sure all the skin weights look correct. If that doesn't work then I'm not sure what the issue could be.

SgtFlex

Posted: Aug 4, 2019 06:35 PM    Msg. 137 of 142       
    Quote: --- Original message by: Gravemind
    @SgtFlex unless you specifically want the bones to be spheres instead of diamonds then the standard AMF script should be fine. There's an option called "SetBoneEnable" - if you untick this the bones will be unlocked from their parent which will make it work better with the animation imports.
    If that still doesn't work then check the envelopes and make sure all the skin weights look correct. If that doesn't work then I'm not sure what the issue could be.

Ah, that worked! Thank you!

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Aug 10, 2019 12:03 AM    Msg. 138 of 142       
    despite whatever hate halo 4 gets, i would very much like getting H4's animations, especially the assasinations and cutscene animations. There's a lot of good stuff on it

epicplayer

Posted: Sep 11, 2019 05:31 PM    Msg. 139 of 142       
    It's been a while. Any updates on Halo Reach animations?

LaikaGlove

Posted: Sep 12, 2019 05:45 PM    Msg. 140 of 142       
    Quote: --- Original message by: epicplayer
    It's been a while. Any updates on Halo Reach animations?

Sorry, I've been kind of busy lately.

Progress has kind of stagnated, I've kind of hit the limit of what I can do with the disassembled game without actually debugging. So I've just been waiting to get into one of the Reach flights on PC to do so.

Unfortunately I haven't been invited to one yet...

Page 4 of 5 Go to page: · 1 · 2 · 3 · [4] · 5 · Prev · Next

Previous Older Thread   

Time: Sun September 22, 2019 1:07 PM 281 ms.
    A Halo Maps Website