A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »[Utility] Bonobo - Halo 2/3/ODST Animation Extraction

Page 5 of 5 Go to page: · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · [5] · Prev
Author Topic: [Utility] Bonobo - Halo 2/3/ODST Animation Extraction (172 messages, Page 5 of 5)
Moderators: Dennis

epicplayer

Posted: Sep 14, 2019 06:32 PM    Msg. 141 of 172       
Oh man. So are you going to be releasing the full source code for Bonobo? No-one would want a program like this to be lost to time.

Ivan04

For a brick, he flew pretty good

Posted: Sep 20, 2019 08:45 PM    Msg. 142 of 172       
Quote: --- Original message by: LaikaGlove
Sorry, I've been kind of busy lately.

Progress has kind of stagnated, I've kind of hit the limit of what I can do with the disassembled game without actually debugging. So I've just been waiting to get into one of the Reach flights on PC to do so.

Unfortunately I haven't been invited to one yet...

Well rip, don't stress yourself by any means, you already did a lot for the people here, I hope you get successful with whatever you have planned by now, wish you luck and thank you for this amazing tool that helped a lot of people.

Pabeung

F Neil Kahn

Posted: Sep 24, 2019 01:09 PM    Msg. 143 of 172       
I am enjoying this thing already, ported the brute's animations.
https://youtu.be/fMjhGhM0Lcw

It just sucks that I have to rename the bones all over again when I try to import a new animation, I tried renaming the node names of the jmad in Assembly and just re-extract the animations again with Bonobo so when I try to port it, it would match the node names already in my scene but it failed lmao.

Brutes VS. Floods
https://youtu.be/v_Wu8BkPxSY
Edited by Pabeung on Sep 24, 2019 at 01:09 PM

Halo CE Noob Modder117

Hamster, Michelle & Spiral, thanks for your help.

Posted: Oct 5, 2019 01:33 AM    Msg. 144 of 172       
Does this mean... In a few months some pro will release an every biped from every halo biped pack for non-os and os halo games?

Pabeung

F Neil Kahn

Posted: Oct 23, 2019 12:52 AM    Msg. 145 of 172       
I ported bunch of Halo 3 animations and you could them in action in my video.
https://youtu.be/fieV3u5rNwg

Devarture

Posted: Nov 6, 2019 12:36 AM    Msg. 146 of 172       
Honestly can't wait to get Reach animation extraction, I'm assuming there'll be more progress once Reach on PC is out?

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Dec 8, 2019 12:07 PM    Msg. 147 of 172       
the question now begs to be asked since MCC is out, any updates on the reach animation stuff? I do remember a comment being made about needing to look at the flights to get any further

LaikaGlove

Posted: Dec 8, 2019 01:01 PM    Msg. 148 of 172       
Quote: --- Original message by: R93_Sniper
the question now begs to be asked since MCC is out, any updates on the reach animation stuff? I do remember a comment being made about needing to look at the flights to get any further

No progress to report currently, I'm trying to figure out how to debug the game via cheatengine or ida pro but I can't figure out how to attach the debugger to the haloreach.dll. The only process I see running is the main MCC-Win64-Shipping.exe which doesn't have the code I need to step through.

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Dec 15, 2019 03:33 PM    Msg. 149 of 172       
this might be a weird suggestion, but have you tried hopping on the Halo Mods server? They've got a lot of people who've gotten things to inject into the game correctly through various means. They might have what you need. This might help: https://discord.gg/halomods

LaikaGlove

Posted: Dec 17, 2019 08:45 PM    Msg. 150 of 172       
Hey sorry Sniper, I was able to figure out debugging shortly after that post. Thanks though.

I was able to make some progress based on my findings, though it probably doesn't look like much compared to my previous post:

You'll notice reduced jitter on the legs especially, which means I have a more accurate algorithm working for decompressing the new animation codec used in reach.

The more technical explanation is that before I was using a spherical linear interpolation algorithm for interpolating between frames. However, the new codec used in reach actually uses a catmull-rom spline curve algorithm for interpolation.

I still have some work ahead of me though, but the holidays may set that work back a bit.

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Dec 21, 2019 12:22 AM    Msg. 151 of 172       
hey man, if you can get that sorted even by sometime in january i'll be happy. enjoy your holidays my dude

LaikaGlove

Posted: Jan 7, 2020 06:36 PM    Msg. 152 of 172       
First post updated with version 1.0.0.4 with Reach animation extraction, it's not obfuscated so enjoy. There's still a lot I don't like about the code but I simply don't have the time to refactor it at the moment.

Quick example:

Download the latest version here as well for your convenience: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtvYI8x0KxMRhtMV0r2X2GMqLcAycA?e=okOLhU

Halo CE Noob Modder117

Posted: Jan 7, 2020 08:30 PM    Msg. 153 of 172       

Features:

• Open Halo 1 (CE/PC), Halo 2 (Xbox), Halo 3, Halo: ODST, and Halo: Reach maps.

• View Halo 1 and Halo 2 tags in full using extracted tag definitions.

• Extract Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo ODST, and Halo: Reach Animations to source files (jma/jmo/jmr/etc.)

• Includes proper extraction for overlay and replacement animations.

Edited by LaikaGlove on Jan 7, 2020 at 06:20 PM

Wait so does this mean, I can edit my marine model and just import the CE marine's animation into 3DS MAX? Do you still have to apply weights etc?

Devarture

Posted: Jan 7, 2020 09:21 PM    Msg. 154 of 172       
The patience was worth it! Thanks so much!

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Jan 7, 2020 11:15 PM    Msg. 155 of 172       
Quote: --- Original message by: Halo CE Noob Modder117

Features:

• Extract Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo ODST, and Halo: Reach Animations to source files (jma/jmo/jmr/etc.)

Wait so does this mean, I can edit my marine model and just import the CE marine's animation into 3DS MAX? Do you still have to apply weights etc?

This could have been done for years. There's already tools to do this perfectly for CE things

The Gravemind

I Am The Monument To All Your Sins

Posted: Jan 7, 2020 11:30 PM    Msg. 156 of 172       

Features:

Don't make the same mistakes I did. Just rename the bones. Don't reskin everything. You will more than likely still have to do some tweaking after importing, but that's simple compared to reskinning everything. Plus the more bones your model has, the bigger the tag size will be.

Halo CE Noob Modder117

Posted: Jan 8, 2020 07:15 PM    Msg. 157 of 172       
Quote: --- Original message by: The Gravemind

Features:

Don't make the same mistakes I did. Just rename the bones. Don't reskin everything. You will more than likely still have to do some tweaking after importing, but that's simple compared to reskinning everything. Plus the more bones your model has, the bigger the tag size will be.

Goodness... Don't tell me you have to re-rig the models by hand even if they're just minor edits...
Edited by Halo CE Noob Modder117 on Jan 17, 2020 at 02:01 AM

Pabeung

F Neil Kahn

Posted: Jan 9, 2020 11:29 AM    Msg. 158 of 172       
Bruh tried porting the fp animations but It's still f up.

LaikaGlove

Posted: Jan 9, 2020 06:14 PM    Msg. 159 of 172       
Interesting, I took a look and it's definitely my code. Not really sure where the failure is happening yet.

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Jan 11, 2020 12:46 AM    Msg. 160 of 172       
I'm trying to put these animations onto reach characters but it doesnt seem to work. The script will complain about b_node and b_node2 (which i've never seen in a model before?), and then nothing will animate except for the root bones. Any ideas?

Edit: So i got it half working. Ripping from multiple maps helps as far as i've seen, but there's some crazy errors across the board
Edited by R93_Sniper on Jan 11, 2020 at 01:11 AM

LaikaGlove

Posted: Jan 11, 2020 11:03 PM    Msg. 161 of 172       
Quote: --- Original message by: R93_Sniper

I'm trying to put these animations onto reach characters but it doesnt seem to work. The script will complain about b_node and b_node2 (which i've never seen in a model before?), and then nothing will animate except for the root bones. Any ideas?

Edit: So i got it half working. Ripping from multiple maps helps as far as i've seen, but there's some crazy errors across the board
Edited by R93_Sniper on Jan 11, 2020 at 01:11 AM

For anyone else having similar problems, when importing a model with the Adjutant's AMF importer uncheck "SetBoneEnable". This fixed most of Snipers issues.

I have an update I'm hoping to release soon that fixes an issue when extracting animations from certain maps and fixes extraction of overlay animations.

As for the issues with first person animations, I'm totally at a loss on what's going on there. It's odd because they're close but not quite right. Also they're using an older compression algorithm that was used in halo 2, 3, and odst so technically they should still work...I'm not really sure what Reach is doing additionally and that may take more time to look into.

Pabeung

F Neil Kahn

Posted: Jan 12, 2020 12:59 PM    Msg. 162 of 172       

Moa works good. (bruh hard to replicate that fur shader they did for the moa)

LaikaGlove

Posted: Jan 13, 2020 08:41 PM    Msg. 163 of 172       
Finally think I figured out all the issues. I've updated the first post with a new build.

Version 1.0.0.5:

• Fixed crash when extracting animations from certain Reach maps.

• Fixed issues extracting overlay animations from Reach.

• Fixed issues extracting first person animations from Reach.

Download: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtvYI8x0KxMRhtYj8dcOvujABBnyQw?e=fkkZeG

Quick fp animation example:

Edited by LaikaGlove on Jan 13, 2020 at 08:59 PM

DrunkAussie

Posted: Jan 14, 2020 05:27 AM    Msg. 164 of 172       
Found something while extracting animations for the banshee, seraph or sabre. Same exact error for all 3.
----14/01/2020 7:59:03 PM----
System.Exception: Error extracting model_animation_graph tag objects\vehicles\human\sabre\sabre:

Animation type not supported ---> System.NotSupportedException: Animation type not supported
at Blam.Assets.Animations.Animation.GetAnimationExtension(Type type, FrameInfoType frameInfoType, Boolean worldRelative)
at Blam.Games.HaloReach.Tags.model_animation_graph_group.Extract(CacheReader reader, String path)
at Blam.Games.Game.ExtractCacheIndexItemSource(CacheIndexItem cacheIndexItem, String path)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Bonobo.ViewModel.MainViewModel.ExtractSource(Object parameter)
at Bonobo.RelayCommand`1.Execute(T parameter)
at Bonobo.RelayCommand`1.System.Windows.Input.ICommand.Execute(Object parameter)
at MS.Internal.Commands.CommandHelpers.CriticalExecuteCommandSource(ICommandSource commandSource, Boolean userInitiated)
at System.Windows.Controls.MenuItem.InvokeClickAfterRender(Object arg)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

It seems to not like the reach vehicle roll/evade animations.

LaikaGlove

Posted: Jan 14, 2020 08:06 AM    Msg. 165 of 172       
Interesting, looks like those animations have a new type of frame info not in the previous games. I'll take a look tonight.

Halo CE Noob Modder117

Posted: Jan 14, 2020 10:06 AM    Msg. 166 of 172       
...So now that this is a thing, can we expect to see someone create a huge tag pack with fully rigged and animated Halo2/3/ODST/REACH bipeds, vehicles and weapons for use in CE?

And no I'm not talking about the already existing ancient buggy knock-offs and OS junk. I'm talking real ported newer Halo game assets fully compatible with stock CE.

Pabeung

F Neil Kahn

Posted: Jan 14, 2020 12:40 PM    Msg. 167 of 172       
I've ported the Halo Reach shotgun's animations and the MOA as well, Halo Reach's fp overlays are wack. I had a method of making Halo Reach's fp animations fit perfectly with the Halo 1 bones.

https://youtu.be/vNKhtYmc450

Wingblast

Posted: Jan 15, 2020 02:27 PM    Msg. 168 of 172       
I get this error when trying to export the Halo Reach first person magnum animations:
so far I've been able to successfully export the DMR, sniper and shotgun animations, but the magnum fails on all of the .map files I've tried.

Edit:
here's what was in debug.log, if that helps
System.Exception: Error extracting model_animation_graph tag objects\characters\spartans\fp\weapons\pistol\fp_magnum\fp_magnum:

Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
Parameter name: index ---> System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
Parameter name: index
at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException(ExceptionArgument argument, ExceptionResource resource)
at Blam.Games.Game.GetStringIDValue(Int32 section, Int32 index)
at Blam.Tags.StringID.Read(CacheReader reader)
at Blam.Tags.FieldCollection.ReadPointerFields(CacheReader reader)
at Blam.Tags.FieldCollection.Read(CacheReader reader)
at Blam.Tags.Block`1.Read(CacheReader reader)
at Blam.Games.Game.ReadCacheIndexItem(CacheIndexItem cacheIndexItem)
at Blam.Games.HaloReach.Tags.model_animation_graph_group.GetRenderModel(CacheReader reader, model_flags flag)
at Blam.Games.HaloReach.Tags.model_animation_graph_group.GetRenderModelNodes(CacheReader reader)
at Blam.Games.HaloReach.Tags.model_animation_graph_group.Extract(CacheReader reader, String path)
at Blam.Games.Game.ExtractCacheIndexItemSource(CacheIndexItem cacheIndexItem, String path)
at Bonobo.RelayCommand`1.System.Windows.Input.ICommand.Execute(Object parameter)
at MS.Internal.Commands.CommandHelpers.CriticalExecuteCommandSource(ICommandSource commandSource, Boolean userInitiated)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

Edited by Wingblast on Jan 15, 2020 at 02:31 PM
Edited by Wingblast on Jan 15, 2020 at 02:59 PM
Edited by Wingblast on Jan 15, 2020 at 03:02 PM

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Jan 15, 2020 05:54 PM    Msg. 169 of 172       
...So now that this is a thing, can we expect to see someone create a huge tag pack with fully rigged and animated Halo2/3/ODST/REACH bipeds, vehicles and weapons for use in CE?

And no I'm not talking about the already existing ancient buggy knock-offs and OS junk. I'm talking real ported newer Halo game assets fully compatible with stock CE.

If you're looking to try to get stuff working with Stock CE, you may be sorely dissapointed

LaikaGlove

Posted: Jan 15, 2020 06:20 PM    Msg. 170 of 172       
Quote: --- Original message by: Wingblast

I get this error when trying to export the Halo Reach first person magnum animations: https://i.imgur.com/M8zaDth.png
so far I've been able to successfully export the DMR, sniper and shotgun animations, but the magnum fails on all of the .map files I've tried.

Edit:
here's what was in debug.log, if that helps
System.Exception: Error extracting model_animation_graph tag objects\characters\spartans\fp\weapons\pistol\fp_magnum\fp_magnum:

Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
Parameter name: index ---> System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
Parameter name: index
at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException(ExceptionArgument argument, ExceptionResource resource)
at Blam.Games.Game.GetStringIDValue(Int32 section, Int32 index)
at Blam.Tags.StringID.Read(CacheReader reader)
at Blam.Games.Game.ReadCacheIndexItem(CacheIndexItem cacheIndexItem)
at Blam.Games.HaloReach.Tags.model_animation_graph_group.GetRenderModel(CacheReader reader, model_flags flag)
at Blam.Games.HaloReach.Tags.model_animation_graph_group.GetRenderModelNodes(CacheReader reader)

Edited by Wingblast on Jan 15, 2020 at 02:31 PM
Edited by Wingblast on Jan 15, 2020 at 02:59 PM
Edited by Wingblast on Jan 15, 2020 at 03:02 PM

Hmm, so this one seems tricky. Most of these extraction issues seem to stem from the fact that in Reach it's no longer necessary to have perfectly matching node graphs between a model and an animation. The issue with the magnum in particular here is that the render_model itself has an extra node named "bullet" that isn't in the first person animation graph.

I'll have to think about how to handle that and it may require some reworking of how I'm getting the related model tag for a given animation...

In other news I think I fixed the previous issue reported with the banshee animations, it looks like Reach has a new frame info type (dx,dy,dz,dyaw,dpitch,droll) where it can track rotational motion of the root node in all 3 axis.
Edited by LaikaGlove on Jan 15, 2020 at 06:22 PM

Pabeung

F Neil Kahn

Posted: Jan 16, 2020 01:06 AM    Msg. 171 of 172       
Here's the Assault Rifle and DMR in-game. I'm having trouble with the needle rifle like It says it requires more bones which isn't present in the model and the weapon won't attach properly to the hand even though I already had it linked to the right hand and yeah about the magnum and also when I was working with the DMR the initial ready and reload animations stretched the gun but It looks good in-game I don't know if it was a illusion thing to their animations to look wack.
https://youtu.be/vgpl9VaDxYQ
EDIT:
Also the needler and It says It requires other nodes that isn't present in the extracted model by Adjudant.
Edited by Pabeung on Jan 16, 2020 at 10:29 AM

The Gravemind

I Am The Monument To All Your Sins

Posted: Yesterday @ 12:14 AM    Msg. 172 of 172       
Wow I wish I still had the time and motivation to port them reach elite animations. Maybe someday.

Page 5 of 5 Go to page: · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · [5] · Prev

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sun January 19, 2020 12:29 AM 266 ms.
A Halo Maps Website