A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »What is Halo Custom Edition? ( www.haloce.org )

Author Topic: What is Halo Custom Edition? ( www.haloce.org ) (4 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Nickster5000

Posted: Jul 10, 2019 03:55 AM    Msg. 1 of 4       
Hey everyone!

I was thinking of a way to contribute to this community, as I feel that Sector 09 wasn’t enough. I have a bunch of projects (as you might have read on my release thread a while back) that requires too much work for me to complete in this day and age. So I got thinking, and I realized my contribution was under my nose this entire time…

I am currently majoring in Computer Science (I graduate in December, woo hoo!), so a big thought on my mind is landing a job when I graduate. I am a firm believer that the web browser and mobile applications is going to be a big part of the future. Now isn’t a better time to get into Web Development, and learn serious skills like designing websites and building full stack web applications. I have been learning HTML / CSS / Javascript, Front End frameworks like React & Redux, Node JS on the Backend, and other backend frameworks like Express.

The answer to my contribution is in the form of a website / web applications, of course!

Now let me ask you a question… When someone asks you “What is Halo Custom Edition?” or, you try your best to explain what Halo Custom Edition is to your friends… how do you explain it?

After pondering these questions, I came to the realization that this community has two problems:

• It is very fragmented (Some users actively participate in Discord Servers, some users actively participate on Halomaps, and some users actively participate on OpenCarnage, some users actively participate on Youtube, and the list goes on)

• With the tremendous amounts of projects, it can be very difficult to explain what Halo Custom Edition is, what Halo Custom Edition is capable of, and what you can actually do with it.

Now I get to the point of this post, and my solution to this problem: http://www.haloce.org

I have built a simple landing page that is designed to “describe” what Halo CE is, how to install it for those folks who are new to the community, and to have a central HUB for the entire community. If you follow the link above, you will see this landing page in full (note, that it is not responsive yet. I will make a pass to make it mobile friendly).

You’ll probably also notice a lot of Gibberish on the pages (This is Latin text placeholder, called Lorem Ipsum) and you’ll also notice ugly empty images (that display 1900x1080 rather than a pretty image). This is why I am writing this post today.

Have you ever gone through the same spiel that I have, not having any ideas to contribute to the community? Or not having the technical experience to make a map? For those who want to contribute something to the community, I ask for you to help me replace the Lorem Ipsum text with actual content that clearly describes Halo Custom Edition. I also ask for you to help me create or find images to replace the ugly 1900x1080 images.

I also want to reach out to the mappers / modders of this community, and direct you to this page: www.haloce.org/sector09/sector09.html

Now, I am not trying to toot my own horn with Sector 09, but I am very intimate with the project (I made it, for those who are unaware), so it was easier for me to build a sample “Project” page. I wanted to come up with a proof-of-concept “Project” page, and build project pages for those in the community that are deserving of one.

So I ask of you, the modders / mappers to take a look at the Sector 09 page, critique it, and think of other content that a “Project” page might need.

I thank you for taking the time to read this post, and to contribute to this website for the fellow community!

-Nickster5000

BioGoji1989

Professional Idiot

Posted: Jul 10, 2019 09:49 AM    Msg. 2 of 4       
Nice... except why post a link if most of the text is currently gibberish? Why not post a link after that's been taken care of and everything on it is ready?
Edited by BioGoji1989 on Jul 10, 2019 at 09:50 AM

Nickster5000

Posted: Jul 10, 2019 05:47 PM    Msg. 3 of 4       
Well, I want it to be a website by the community, for the community and for new community members, which is why I invited the community in the original post to help me write this content. The Latin (Lorem ipsum) is placeholder text until I get content for it.
Edited by Nickster5000 on Jul 10, 2019 at 05:47 PM

Chris_7331

Posted: Aug 5, 2019 11:21 PM    Msg. 4 of 4       
Maybe you should post like links to tutorials and top / featured map downloads that are on halomaps.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sun September 15, 2019 1:47 PM 156 ms.
A Halo Maps Website