A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »[HELP!] Halo 1 Campaign Maps to 3Ds Max and Unity

Author Topic: [HELP!] Halo 1 Campaign Maps to 3Ds Max and Unity (11 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

theYellow

Posted: Oct 16, 2019 02:40 PM    Msg. 1 of 11       
Hi there :)
I'm looking for someone who can help me exporting Halo CE Campaign Maps so I can open them in 3Ds Max. I have been trying to get this to work for a while now, but most tools seem to be very outdated or won't work anymore. Some tools just crash, others export models with bad UVs or broken Textures. Eventually, I managed to get a Map into 3Ds Max looking fine, but with no Trees, Rocks or other Scenery and I'm unable to find any way to export them alongside the Map. So anyone here who can help me? :C

Kinnet

FeelsGoodMan

Posted: Oct 16, 2019 03:42 PM    Msg. 2 of 11       
are u doing asset flipping?

theYellow

Posted: Oct 16, 2019 04:06 PM    Msg. 3 of 11       
just had to google what Asset Flipping is.

I have a VR Headset, and I would love to explore the classic Halo Maps in VR.

Nickster5000

Posted: Oct 16, 2019 04:41 PM    Msg. 4 of 11       
Well, the hardest part of your endeavor is going from Halo CE to 3DS Max. Getting stuff into unity is very easy to do.

I think Adjutant allows you to export BSP's from Halo Custom Edition (I know they definitely let you export from newer halo games). Not sure where the most reliable download for Adjutant is though, however. Perhaps someone else can chime in on this one.

When your endeavor is successful, you should upload panoramic video so I can see how it looks please & thank you.

Halo CE Noob Modder117

Some tutorials would be nice...

Posted: Oct 16, 2019 08:26 PM    Msg. 5 of 11       
You know what someone needs to do?

A video... A video showing the COMPLETE step 1/point a- step 10/point j of the entire process (preferably in 720p or higher so you can actually see what they're selecting).

How to properly take everything out of Halo, into 3DS MAX and back out to Halo and or other games/programs.

MosesofEgypt

Posted: Oct 16, 2019 11:16 PM    Msg. 6 of 11       
Several months ago I added to Mozzarilla the ability to convert every bit of geometry and markers in sbsp tags to gbxmodel tags. Since we have gbxmodel importers for 3ds Max, this will let you import those converted bsps. Download the MEKE, open Mozzarilla, go to Tools->Tag conveters->structure_scenario_bsp to gbxmodel and use that to convert the model. You can choose what to include, but for just navigating it in another engine you'll want Renderable, Lightmaps, and Collidable.

You can get the MEKE here(includes gbxmodel importer scripts for 3DS Max):
http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=50573

HTH

theYellow

Posted: Oct 17, 2019 08:24 AM    Msg. 7 of 11       
Quote: --- Original message by: MosesofEgypt
Several months ago I added to Mozzarilla the ability to convert every bit of geometry and markers in sbsp tags to gbxmodel tags. Since we have gbxmodel importers for 3ds Max, this will let you import those converted bsps. Download the MEKE, open Mozzarilla, go to Tools->Tag conveters->structure_scenario_bsp to gbxmodel and use that to convert the model. You can choose what to include, but for just navigating it in another engine you'll want Renderable, Lightmaps, and Collidable.

You can get the MEKE here(includes gbxmodel importer scripts for 3DS Max):
http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=50573

HTH

this sounds very Promising! Thanks, ill give it a try right away!

Quote: --- Original message by: Nickster5000

When your endeavor is successful, you should upload panoramic video so I can see how it looks please & thank you.

If you own a VR Headset you can always see my progress and how far i managed to get here:

https://account.altvr.com/worlds/1004126548703314916/spaces/1314026663687749636

€dit:
I'm sorry if I ask noobish questions, but I honestly have no idea what I'm doing here.
So, I followed your steps and managed to get something into Max.

But what I got was just a Gray Mesh with no textures (which I can fix) but I still can't see any trees, Rocks, Plants or other scene objects. And arent Lightmaps black and white illumination images? I can't find them either.

again, excuse me for my uninformed questions :/
Edited by theYellow on Oct 17, 2019 at 10:30 AM
Edited by theYellow on Oct 17, 2019 at 10:57 AM

MosesofEgypt

Posted: Oct 17, 2019 05:22 PM    Msg. 8 of 11       
The rocks and everything are scenery objects, which must be imported separately and placed separately. The scenario tag defines a palette of machines, sceneries, bipeds, vehicles, etc, and has a list of which instances of each to make, where they're located, and how they're rotated.

The textures are missing because all you did is import the model. If you want those, I recommend running Mozz again, going to Tools->Tag data extraction and make sure "bitmap" is selected(unselect the rest because you'll just extract a bunch of stuff you don't need). Now click the "Browse" button in the "Directory to extract from" box and select the root of the tags directory and click "Extract".

This will extract every bitmap in the tags directory to dds files, including all the lightmap pages. The bitmaps will be placed in a "data" directory in the same folder as the tags directory, with the same hierarchy as the tags directory. You should be able to use those dds files in 3ds max.

HTH.

theYellow

Posted: Oct 17, 2019 06:43 PM    Msg. 9 of 11       
okay, gotcha!
Thanks a lot for your help Moses, the Texture part is very useful!
This means I can start working on a Unity Shader that emulates Halo CE.

About the Scenery Objects, I found the Array listing them all. For B30 those are over 700 Items. Does "placing separately" mean that I'd have to place them all manually according to the coordinates, rotation and scale data I find in the array?

thanks a lot again Moses!

MosesofEgypt

Posted: Oct 17, 2019 06:52 PM    Msg. 10 of 11       
Yeah. I don't have a good recommendation for how to go about importing all the scenery. Aether and open sauce supposedly have ways to import them for use in lightmap baking, but idk how to do it precisely.

theYellow

Posted: Oct 18, 2019 11:28 AM    Msg. 11 of 11       
this has been frustrating me for weeks, I always manage to get the Map, but never the Scenery - Honestly, I'm at a point where I'm willing to manually place all Objects

€dit:
So I figured ill use this thread to also ask for help regarding more upcoming questions I'm going to have. And here is the first one:

I preceded manually placing the Scenery Objects. And now, while trying to create a shader emulating the tree_leafy_leaves shader, i noticed something. The leave textures of different trees are being recolored in one of 4 ways (A, B, C, D) - see screenshot:

But where can i find the associated color values for each letter?
Edited by theYellow on Oct 20, 2019 at 10:36 AM

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Tue November 19, 2019 6:30 AM 172 ms.
A Halo Maps Website