A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Assembly++ is a tool that allows you to mod most Halo games!

Author Topic: Assembly++ is a tool that allows you to mod most Halo games! (5 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

AssemblyPlusPlus

Posted: Dec 10, 2019 12:22 PM    Msg. 1 of 5       
Hi! Welcome to Assembly++

With this tool, you will be able to create mods, both for the PC and Xbox versions, of every officially released Halo game with the exceptions of Halo:
Combat Evolved and Halo 5: Guardians. It is a collaborative effort by the Xbox modding scene that has been in the works for over a decade and has the top
talents from the community behind it. Indeed, this works for the recently released PC port of Halo: Reach!

How do I get started?

Once you've downloaded Assembly++, extract it to wherever you please and run Assembly.exe. Click on File, Open File, and navigate to the maps folder of the given Halo game you would like to mod and select a map!

I've loaded a map, how do I start modding?

Next to Map Information, click on Tags, and you will see all the tags in the map. In the Halo engine, the game assets (textures, weapons, models, physics data, etc) are all called tags. There are dozens of different tag categories but any tag follows the same steps: find the tag, and edit the values/swap the variables to your liking. For example, you can click the dmr tag in the weap (weapon) category and change the shots per fire to 10 (10-round burst!), and swap the projectile out for another proj (projectile) tag, or even for a non-proj tag like a weap tag. Bada bing bada boom, you got a DMR that spawns 10 other DMRs per trigger press!

Other easy examples of mods:
Make the Battle Rifle work like a DMR, or vice versa
Wave patterns for Needler projectiles
Scarab Gun returns
Bipd (character) jump velocity
Matg (global/universal variables) movement speed
Weap aim magnetism (aka bullet magnetism or aim-assist)

How do I save my mods?

Once you've changed a tag, you can click save to overwrite the map file. However, if you don't want to overwrite the map file and just want a temporary change saved to your RAM, you can also mod whilst the game is running by using Poke instead of Save. This will not overwrite your mapfiles and will only be remembered for the given play session.

For simple pokes, you don't need to be the host of a game for pokes to take effect. This means you can join a friend's campaign game and swap your Armor
Ability out for Evade (which is otherwise not available in the campaign), all without your friend having Assembly running.

Why do I need to mod on a map-by-map basis?

These games were designed to run on consoles via DVD readers, so each map has its own copy of the tags. This obviously leads to map files being very large,
but it was done to improve performance and loading times by only having to load assets from one part of the DVD. There are a few common tags that are not
internalized into maps, but on the whole, you will have to mod on a map-by-map basis due to the amount of internalized tags.

How do I import an internalized tag from another map?

It's really simple! Let's say you want to import a pilotable Pelican into Forge World. Open up New Alexandria (m52.map, the help screen has all the map file names!) and find the Pelican under the vehi category. Right-click the Pelican tag and click Extract, and save the tag wherever you wish. Then open up Forge World (forge_halo.map), and at the bottom of the tags tab you should see an Import button. Click that, find the Pelican, and now the Pelican is in your map. However, you won't be able to spawn it with the Forge menu just yet, which is a slightly complicated procedure. This video will teach you what to do:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnl-3i_ytlE

Mind you, tag importing will not work with poking.

Thank you for reading, now get modding!

Download:https://www.nexusmods.com/halothemasterchiefcollection/mods/63/?tab=description

Banshee64

oify

Posted: Dec 12, 2019 05:34 PM    Msg. 2 of 5       
https://twitter.com/zeddikins/status/1204475790366269440?s=20

Actual Assembly Download Link:

https://t.co/NGrHzOOPNQ?amp=1
Edited by Banshee64 on Dec 12, 2019 at 05:35 PM

Nickster5000

Posted: Dec 12, 2019 07:54 PM    Msg. 3 of 5       
-snip-

I could justify this program as a fork of assembly, but it's advertising itself as a standalone project, not as a fork of assembly with significant changes.
Edited by Nickster5000 on Dec 12, 2019 at 07:58 PM

BioGoji1989

Professional Idiot

Posted: Dec 25, 2019 01:36 PM    Msg. 4 of 5       
How effective is the tag extraction? Does it also extract all necessary dependencies related to the selected tag?

How extensively has this program been tested for quality?

Tachikoma

RETVRN 2 TRADITION

Posted: Dec 25, 2019 01:58 PM    Msg. 5 of 5       
Quote: --- Original message by: BioGoji1989
How effective is the tag extraction? Does it also extract all necessary dependencies related to the selected tag?

How extensively has this program been tested for quality?

It's a scam

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Fri July 10, 2020 10:09 PM 156 ms.
A Halo Maps Website