A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »Lightmaps Inconsistencies- pre-existing VS post-modded

Author Topic: Lightmaps Inconsistencies- pre-existing VS post-modded (4 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Halo CE Noob Modder117

Hamster, Michelle & Spiral, thanks for your help.

Posted: Jan 3, 2020 09:20 PM    Msg. 1 of 4       
Has anyone noticed when they perform lightmaps on some pre-existing Halo bsps that they never look the same as the original? Or am I doing something wrong?

I use Tool: 1 0.1. Is that the highest possible quality in Tool? For some reason I cannot get it to 0 like in Sapien.

One notable example from my past experience: I done Sapien lightmaps for a10a and when it finished, the cryobay for instance is much darker than it normally is...

MrChromed

Developer on SPv3 and ShadowMods.

Posted: Jan 4, 2020 10:40 AM    Msg. 2 of 4       
Best quality lightmaps would use these settings:

tool lightmaps <scenario> <bsp-name> 1 0.0000001

OrangeJuice

I'm feeling much better now, thanks!

Posted: Jan 4, 2020 02:56 PM    Msg. 3 of 4       
well for the two numbers their effect would be

<lightmap quality> <falloff>

LightmapQuality is just a two-option switch between "test quality" lighting and "final quality" lighting.
And falloff would be how far the world's lighting could travel to light the map. So 0.9 would produce a dimmer map than 0.09, etc. etc.

Could also be one other thing: Halo maps usually have hidden, unrendered, lighting helpers as part of the original BSP(all of the 'old' ripping tools seem to hate ripping things that were flagged as no-render) and not reimplimenting them after a rip-job can cause poorly lit interiors.

Edited by OrangeJuice on Jan 4, 2020 at 03:08 PM

Halo CE Noob Modder117

Hamster, Michelle & Spiral, thanks for your help.

Posted: Jan 4, 2020 06:43 PM    Msg. 4 of 4       
Thanks Chromed.

Juice, to think its been years now, someone would have developed a BSP extractor that actually extracted a BSP with all its markers and special +sky and proper ! and % materials as well as non duplicated glass and grate surfaces...

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sat February 22, 2020 9:52 PM 156 ms.
A Halo Maps Website