A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »OS vs OG level design and tools

Author Topic: OS vs OG level design and tools (8 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Halo CE Noob Modder117

Can we just be friends? Chill my dudes...

Posted: Mar 13, 2020 07:00 PM    Msg. 1 of 8       
So aside from knowing that OS Tool makes .yelo instead of .maps (unless it does both?)

What exactly is the difference between using OS tools and OG tools?

Aside from making (bigger?) maps and (bypassing?) limitations, is it more of a bigger texture thing or what?

Why do you use and why should people use it?

Is it user friendly?

How can you utilise OG tags with OS and vice versa?

Oskarmandude

Bosnia

Posted: Mar 14, 2020 12:09 AM    Msg. 2 of 8       
OS lets you have more advanced graphics and scripting, but I have no idea what the OS tools actually are lmao

OrangeJuice

Still here because their site isn't active either

Posted: Mar 14, 2020 12:34 AM    Msg. 3 of 8       
It mostly just adds scripting features that are only really useful for a singleplayer maps.
Other than that it's basically your run-of-the-mill modded HEK, so it has little to no benefit in multiplayer. OpenSauce has its own wiki on bitbucket

Graphics-wise it allows halo to use topical postprocess shaders, adds a specular-mapping and normal-mapping section to shader_model, adds the ability to use animations and actor transformations to an AI, a Directional-Lightmaps section to shader_environment, and increases a few of the rendering budgets.

Anything ran through OS_Guerilla, OS_Sapien, or OS_tool.exe typically can't be read or used by the stock HEK anymore unless they're reopened and cleaned with the moses kit(ANOTHER custom-HEK).

You'd have to find another way to make the directional-lightmaps though because the openCOLLADA project seems to be dead and all the links are 404'd. So it might be a bit difficult to obtain an openCOLLADA plugin to make DLMs with.

Edited by OrangeJuice on Mar 14, 2020 at 12:47 AM

Halo CE Noob Modder117

Posted: Mar 14, 2020 07:05 AM    Msg. 4 of 8       
Ok. So just to be clear... I can have OS Halo installed and still use the OG tools and OG tags right? I wanted to make the switch but MEGA HQ textures and COMPLEX scripts aren't my thing. I'm keeping it as close to normal as possible.

You can record animations with 1.09- is it possible to record animations with 1.10? It's why I'm not on OS because for some reason everyone says you can only record animations on 1.09, which sucks...

I've been resisting going to OS because although I love OG Halo and its tagset... I'm seeing a lot of Halo 3, ODST and Reach assets popping up and its making me wonder if I should use OS just for the tags...

MatthewDratt

TAKEDOWN IS OUT MattDratt.com

Posted: Mar 15, 2020 10:48 PM    Msg. 5 of 8       
You can have multiple installs of Halo. I have an older .09 version of Halo installed to make recorded animations and just import them into my OS maps (you just gotta remove any project yellow definitions at the top of the scenario while you import)

Halo CE Noob Modder117

Posted: Mar 16, 2020 03:31 AM    Msg. 6 of 8       
Quote: --- Original message by: MatthewDratt
You can have multiple installs of Halo. I have an older .09 version of Halo installed to make recorded animations and just import them into my OS maps (you just gotta remove any project yellow definitions at the top of the scenario while you import)

Wow wow wow wow... Wow.

Stop right there Mr MD.

I was supposed to run an experiment a while ago but forgot. So you're telling me I can have these 2 folders:

Halo Custom Edition

&

Halo Custom Edition OS

As in, if I run the installer again, I can simply choose another folder, install it again and update that one to 1.10 and install OS as well?

Because I'm in this position where I'm knee deep in making custom campaigns with 1.09 because I'm recording animations for my dropships and unable to play any OS because... 1.10 reasons...
Edited by Halo CE Noob Modder117 on Mar 16, 2020 at 03:33 AM

MatthewDratt

TAKEDOWN IS OUT MattDratt.com

Posted: Mar 16, 2020 06:56 PM    Msg. 7 of 8       
You don't even need to run the installer. Just copy and paste the Halo Custom Edition folder. The update might freak out a little bit if you install the updates out of order, but otherwise thats all you need to do. A lot of the larger teams do this and just run CE off of a shared dropbox (or something similar)
Edited by MatthewDratt on Mar 16, 2020 at 06:57 PM

Halo CE Noob Modder117

Posted: Mar 16, 2020 08:04 PM    Msg. 8 of 8       
That's it? My goodness if it were that easy...

I'm surprised this isn't plastered everywhere for modders to know.

I've got a huge backlog of OS mods to play but decided not to ever update until I finished my first campaign map...

Thanks for that info MD. Hopefully your input will be noticed by others who've had this same question.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Mon August 10, 2020 6:55 AM 125 ms.
A Halo Maps Website