A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Why can't Elite Bipeds change colours?

Author Topic: Why can't Elite Bipeds change colours? (9 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Halo CE Noob Modder117

Can we just be friends? Chill my dudes...

Posted: Mar 14, 2020 07:26 AM    Msg. 1 of 9       
Well we all know how to do it in the tag file... The grunt, spartan and jackal seem to work fine when you swap out the colour slots but the elite, for some reason does nothing.

The bigger question is. If this doesn't work, how do we get our minor, major, commander and spec ops elites?

This has been bothering me for a while now and I just cant quite put my finger on it...

Halo CE Noob Modder117

Posted: Mar 16, 2020 08:41 PM    Msg. 2 of 9       
I'll make some pictures later.

I went into the elite minor one and changed the blue squares to green.

It didn't change in-game, he was still blue HOWEVER, it seems as though it only changes the shade of blue slightly. Same as if you try to make an elite major or elite commander biped.

You cannot even replicate their colours onto the biped.

Now all I have left to ask is... What the hell? This has been stumping me for a while.

The grunt can basically change into any colour you choose but the elites for some reason, refuse to do so... Weird.

TheMrJezza_

I like scarabs

Posted: Mar 19, 2020 11:19 PM    Msg. 3 of 9       
Forgive me if I am completely wrong, however, I believe it is because the elites need to have a specific shader that can render through transparent shield shaders.

That special shader can't just change colour.

MatthewDratt

TAKEDOWN IS OUT MattDratt.com

Posted: Mar 19, 2020 11:29 PM    Msg. 4 of 9       
in the elite shader_model it states which color (a,b,c,d) will change the color of the elite. This is how you have multiple color changes. Set your shoulders to a, body to b, and lights to c, etc. Make sure you are changing the correct one.

Halo CE Noob Modder117

Posted: Mar 20, 2020 07:57 AM    Msg. 5 of 9       

This is what I'm talking about, you cannot change the elite's colour.

I take it that it has something to do with the Bitmap? But it just makes no sense because the biped cannot match say the major elite's colour. It will be a different shade.

The actor variants cannot change colour either- How are the current in-game tags even working in the first place?

This is an absolute mystery...

MatthewDratt

TAKEDOWN IS OUT MattDratt.com

Posted: Mar 21, 2020 01:15 AM    Msg. 6 of 9       
Quote: --- Original message by: Halo CE Noob Modder117
https://i.imgur.com/vbxc1xR.jpg

This is what I'm talking about, you cannot change the elite's colour.

I take it that it has something to do with the Bitmap? But it just makes no sense because the biped cannot match say the major elite's colour. It will be a different shade.

The actor variants cannot change colour either- How are the current in-game tags even working in the first place?

This is an absolute mystery...

Have you checked to make sure there isnt more than 1 color change?

Halo CE Noob Modder117

Posted: Mar 21, 2020 07:03 AM    Msg. 7 of 9       
I've experimented with every section of the tag and its widgets. Nothing.

The elite cannot change colours like the other bipeds.

Thanks for the suggestions people, stuff it. Worth a shot.

Zombieslayer008

Posted: Apr 14, 2020 08:19 AM    Msg. 8 of 9       
I know this post is a little old, but, I figured I would just put this here anyways.

Whenever I change the color of something, I usually extract the bitmap for the model, and change the hue/saturation of it in photoshop (or whatever photo editing program you use). I've done this to turn hunter's armor gold instead of blue, and I've also used this to change the color of jackal shields.

you can use this to extract bitmaps
http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=1618

you have to use tool to turn the image back into a bitmap tag, you put the image file in the data folder once your done editing it. If i remember correctly, the image has to be a .tiff file. its been a while since I've done this, I think you type this into tool once the image is in the data folder.

tool bitmaps (directory)
an example would be: tool bitmaps elite\bitmaps

I think this puts the new bitmap tag in the tags folder.
again, its been a while since I've done this, you can probably find bitmap tutorials on Youtube if your still stuck.

Tachikoma

RETVRN 2 TRADITION

Posted: Apr 14, 2020 04:39 PM    Msg. 9 of 9       
You can do that, or you can have it be a white diffuse with color change set up in the multipurpose alpha and in the shaders like a real chad.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Fri July 3, 2020 5:35 AM 156 ms.
A Halo Maps Website