A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »[Release] Takedown: Extermination

Author Topic: [Release] Takedown: Extermination (21 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

MatthewDratt

TAKEDOWN IS OUT MattDratt.com

Posted: Mar 16, 2020 09:58 PM    Msg. 1 of 21       

Takedown: Extermination is the final level in the Operation Takedown series. Go after Patriarchus and find the forerunner weapon. Extermination features 8 mini-levels, all that bring their own refreshing style of gameplay, including a rainy forest, a city island, and a snowy plateau.

Trailers!
Takedown: Extermination - Launch Trailer
Takedown: Extermination (Part 1) - Release Trailer
Takedown: Extermination (Part 2) - Release Trailer

Along with Extermination, both The Introduction & Project Lawson have been integrated into the Extermination tagset. You will be able to download all these levels in a single download.

Download will be here!

Currently available for download:

--------------------------------------------
Is Open Sauce required?
Yes, Open Sauce 4.0 is required.

Will you release a non-OS version?
Probably not. Unfortunately there is quite a lot locked in with OS at this point.

Can I use other mods such as Chimera, etc while playing Takedown?
Overall, the use of other mods during your play through is unsupported. However, during testing, many have tried to use additional mods and have found both success and issues. Use at your own risk and understand if you are having issues, it may be the additional mods and not the map itself.

Will Takedown: Extermination use data-files?
Yes. A lot of the tools to bypass data-files have come out far too late in this production to make it worth going back and putting it all back together. Extermination is so large that is spans 7 yelo files. Without data files, the amount of space required for this level would be massive.

Wait, what are data-files?
Data files are just .map files that pool the main resources of the level into, such as bitmaps and sound files. Instead of each yelo file being 400-500mb each, it makes each yelo file under 100mb and includes a few extra larger map files that contain the bitmaps and sounds for each level. These MUST be installed into your Halo: Custom Edition maps directory as will be laid out in the download. If the data files are not in the correct location, the levels will not load.

Will I need to re-download all files during early access?
Yes! Please drop everything into your maps folder as is and replace any files.

Why is Extermination in two parts?
Extermination was so massive during the script writing process, I decided from the start that Extermination (story wise) would be split into two halves. When Part 1 ends, you will have come to a defined story end point (not just a random mid-point to cut off the level). Part 1 consists of the first four rally points (Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta). Part 2 consists of the last four rally points (Echo, Foxtrot, Gamma, Iota). The trailers have been using a mix of scenes from both parts, so some things you may have seen in the trailers may not be present until Part 2 is released.

Will you release this for MCC?
I do not believe that is currently possible at this time.

Will there be a sequel?
At this time, Takedown: Extermination is the ending of the series and I have no plans to continue it in any fashion.

How long is Takedown: Extermination?
This solely depends on your style of gameplay. I would say give yourself 1-2 hours for Part 1 and 3-4 hours for Part 2, but this all just depends on how you play. Part 1 is probably just as long/slightly longer than Project Lawson while Part 2 is around double as long. When Part 1 ends, it offers a good stopping point if you need to take a break or go do something else for a while.

Will you release a Spanish or subtitled version?
At this time I have no plans to do so, however I am not opposed to work on this with someone once released if I can get the help required. Subtitles are tricky as onscreen cinematic titles have a limit and the debug on-screen text changes how long it appears on screen depending on the frame-rate you are running the game at.

How often will this be updated post-release?
If any issues that are major or bother me are found at or shortly after release, I will update them as soon as I can. Once the dust settles, there will probably be limited support after the first month or two.

Will you release a version without data-files?
Yes. I am going to give the release a week or so and then do any last minute updates before compiling out separate builds.
Edited by MatthewDratt on Mar 28, 2020 at 02:03 AM

Noobyourmom

Posted: Mar 17, 2020 07:39 PM    Msg. 2 of 21       
Back from the dead to say nice work! The trailer makes this look like the Halo movie we never got.

Halo CE Noob Modder117

Can we just be friends? Chill my dudes...

Posted: Mar 20, 2020 07:58 AM    Msg. 3 of 21       
Looking sexy...

MatthewDratt

Posted: Mar 20, 2020 04:07 PM    Msg. 4 of 21       
It's happening...

tomorrow

Part 1 Release Trailer

Just in case anyone is wondering, the release won't be at midnight but probably sometime mid day. Check between 12-6pm EST. Been working non stop this last week getting Part 1 fixed and cleaned up and just a couple last touches
Edited by MatthewDratt on Mar 20, 2020 at 04:55 PM

It's still coming...Had to rerun lightmaps twice now... sigh.
Literally just waiting on those. Once its done and not messed up Ill get it up asap
Edited by MatthewDratt on Mar 21, 2020 at 09:44 PM

Halo CE Noob Modder117

Posted: Mar 21, 2020 07:06 AM    Msg. 5 of 21       
Do I sense some kind of plot twist where that white elite with the forerunner symbols on his armour might become some kind of ally?

MatthewDratt

Posted: Mar 22, 2020 03:47 AM    Msg. 6 of 21       

Part 1 of Takedown: Extermination has been released in early access.

I am using early access as a form of stress test on the tagset and each update will be changed across all maps. Please report any major issues here so they can be fixed with the final release on March 28th along with the final part.

Takedown: Extermination spoilers may follow below...
Edited by MatthewDratt on Mar 22, 2020 at 03:48 AM

Jade

Posted: Mar 22, 2020 09:26 PM    Msg. 7 of 21       
I found a small bug with the buggers. Their flying animation set is using a wrong animation.

Edit: I found another bug. If you assassinate the brute boss, the mission softlocks. You could use "object_cannot_take_damage" here and still take out the shields.

Edited by Jade on Mar 22, 2020 at 09:40 PM

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Mar 23, 2020 08:14 AM    Msg. 8 of 21       
I've played a few minutes before going to bed because I couldn't wait
And even that was amazing
I absolutely love how cinematic this is
You have every right to be proud of this MattDratt

MatthewDratt

Posted: Mar 28, 2020 01:38 AM    Msg. 9 of 21       

Halo CE Noob Modder117

Posted: Mar 28, 2020 07:57 PM    Msg. 10 of 21       
Ca'mon!

I need to buy the Custom Edition Year 12 Season pass to play it?!

Jokes...

DOWNLOADING NOW

cheater59

u wanna 1v1 me decidia

Posted: Mar 29, 2020 03:46 PM    Msg. 11 of 21       
yes

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Mar 29, 2020 07:14 PM    Msg. 12 of 21       
Congrats on the release! Happy times \o/

Halo CE Noob Modder117

Posted: Mar 30, 2020 03:54 AM    Msg. 13 of 21       
I keep getting exception data crash when defending Lawson. When the AI notifies you of the 60% progression it ALWAYS happens. I cannot seem to get past it...

Also, the voice acting. Despite the obvious flaws sounding like I was listening to a bunch of different Americans speaking over their XBL headsets, I like the lines in the base segments. Great job to everyone.

...As for the 'hangar guard'... I ensured I exhausted every bit of dialogue... SBB... Cannot mistake that voice... Nice singing... I'd still like to know the story behind that black visor...
Edited by Halo CE Noob Modder117 on Mar 30, 2020 at 05:45 AM

Pepzee

Posted: Apr 1, 2020 11:26 PM    Msg. 14 of 21       
It is amazing how far Takedown has advanced over the years. It is an amazing release and will certainly stand out as one of the greatest projects for Halo Custom Edition.

So, what's your next project? ;)

HattyHattington

goldkilla88

Posted: Apr 15, 2020 11:50 PM    Msg. 15 of 21       
Just finished my play through, brilliant work man. That's a level of cinematography I'd never ever have imagined could be possible with CE.

My only bit of critique is that some of the custom and ported environments could have used some more polish and population, but I think the level of detail from a story/script standpoint definetly validates that for a custom project.

Amazing job to all involved and congrats on the release!

(also I was super surprised to see myself in the credits, I'm sure it wasn't much but I'm glad I could contribute assets in some form)

MatthewDratt

Posted: Apr 19, 2020 11:48 PM    Msg. 16 of 21       
Thanks everyone for their feedback. Everyone is seeming to enjoy it so I couldn't be happier!

Quote: --- Original message by: Pepzee

Haven't decided yet. Seeing if I can invest enough time into learning something else. Probably won't say until I either need help or closer to release. Don't need a repeat of a 6 year wait for a project.

Spartan314

Posted: May 4, 2020 02:29 AM    Msg. 17 of 21       
So uh, has this happened to anyone else?
https://youtu.be/kYT-yzERVfk

Masters1337

halonaminator's unfortunate idol

Posted: May 4, 2020 06:09 AM    Msg. 18 of 21       
Quote: --- Original message by: MatthewDratt
Thanks everyone for their feedback. Everyone is seeming to enjoy it so I couldn't be happier!

Quote: --- Original message by: Pepzee

Haven't decided yet. Seeing if I can invest enough time into learning something else. Probably won't say until I either need help or closer to release. Don't need a repeat of a 6 year wait for a project.

Legacies needs you!!!

Nickster5000

Posted: May 4, 2020 10:42 PM    Msg. 19 of 21       
Quote: --- Original message by: Spartan314

I remember running into this a LONG time ago. Try messing with your graphics card settings, that's what did it for me.

Spartan314

Posted: May 5, 2020 12:01 AM    Msg. 20 of 21       
Quote: --- Original message by: Nickster5000
Quote: --- Original message by: Spartan314

I remember running into this a LONG time ago. Try messing with your graphics card settings, that's what did it for me.

Ah for some reason I kept thinking it could've been something to do with my bitmaps.map or something rather.
Any hints to what section it could be? I've got an NVIDIA card.

E: God googling through old threads have me nostalgic seeing old names :')
Edited by Spartan314 on May 5, 2020 at 12:02 AM

E2: Fixed it by turning anti-aliasing off in F7 OpenSauce settings
Life is good again
Edited by Spartan314 on May 5, 2020 at 12:11 AM

MatthewDratt

Posted: May 17, 2020 01:35 AM    Msg. 21 of 21       
If wanted, here is the HSC scripts
https://www.mediafire.com/file/ajgklsxokzjr0fw/takedown_extermination_hsc_scripts.rar/file

Also here is the original dialog script, dated 1/19/2014 & 2/6/2014 respectively. I wouldn't say any of it is good or worth reading but hey, why not.

http://mattdratt.com/files/Takedown_Extermination_Part1.pdf
http://mattdratt.com/files/Takedown_Extermination_Part2.pdf

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Fri May 29, 2020 6:43 PM 141 ms.
A Halo Maps Website