A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Why did everyone abandon traditional CE modding?

Author Topic: Why did everyone abandon traditional CE modding? (15 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Halo CE Noob Modder117

Can we just be friends? Chill my dudes...

Posted: Mar 30, 2020 06:17 AM    Msg. 1 of 15       
I get that CE doesn't have the sandbox of future Halo games regarding biped, weapon and vehicle variety but why does everyone prefer to use ports, OS and CMT's tags?

With regards to level design, I've seen that custom textures and future Halo ports are used as well.

Is this all done to fulfil the fantasy of making mods in the other Halo games or are they just simply personal preferences?

I've just completed my first project using as many 'lore friendly' assets as possible with regards to tag set and level geometry. I don't know why but as much as I want to make an OS mod or something that utilises CMT's tags or the future Halo asset ports, I don't know. I kind of like CE as it is.

(EDIT: I'm really loving the discussion in this thread... "I am shocked, almost too shocked for words..." Thanks for keeping it clean)
Edited by Halo CE Noob Modder117 on Mar 31, 2020 at 08:05 PM

Mr Janus

Posted: Mar 30, 2020 01:54 PM    Msg. 2 of 15       

Pepzee

Posted: Mar 30, 2020 10:50 PM    Msg. 3 of 15       
I think it may be because rips from newer Halos are usually graphically superior to anything in the Halo 1 tagset. Halo 1 is quickly approaching 20 years old and many may want something that looks a little bit newer- and with a wide variety of newer tags available they can easily do it.

Personally I am indifferent to the tagset used as long as it is visually consistent.

SOI_7

Welcome to the true man's world

Posted: Mar 31, 2020 07:27 AM    Msg. 4 of 15       
OS isn't just for visual purposes. Many limitations of the stock engine can be removed only through it

OrangeJuice

Still here because your site isn't active either.

Posted: Mar 31, 2020 10:44 AM    Msg. 5 of 15       
I do mostly all-original middle-east stoneware and arches and columns and stuff.

I just can't do anything fancy with the tools I have because I haven't been home
Edited by OrangeJuice on Mar 31, 2020 at 10:45 AM

Echo77

Humble thyself and hold thy tongue.

Posted: Mar 31, 2020 01:18 PM    Msg. 6 of 15       
I assume it's because it's easier to port or borrow an existing asset than it is to come up with a brand new idea and construct it from the ground up to level of quality they'd deem acceptable. When I was modding, I didn't know how to 3D model and had little inclination to learn, so I made use of the extensive number of tags that were already available and edited stats accordingly if I wanted them to do something a little different.

HattyHattington

goldkilla88

Posted: Mar 31, 2020 06:41 PM    Msg. 7 of 15       
Back when I was super active before 2015 I always thought the newer stuff was cooler just because it was new and I didn't want to bother trying to do original content, now it's because even though I still want to tinker with things after Halo 1 PC MCC reinvigorated my interest in CE modding (unfortunately), there really isn't much of an audience anymore except for a couple people here so nothing really seems worth putting serious effort into.

Halo CE Noob Modder117

Can we just be friends? Chill my dudes...

Posted: Mar 31, 2020 08:19 PM    Msg. 8 of 15       
I thought the same thing.

The reason why I persisted and became 'addicted'... Yes I am, I cannot seem to stop making BSPs... Was because I had hope that one day either CE will explode again (in popularity not... Actual explosions) and or MCC would have a similar framework so that... Well, we can go make mods there too.

From my experience, I was really bummed out having errors but once you learn the basics and furthermore helpful tricks and new methods, it becomes real fun once you can actually play your creations in-game.

I got into the modding scene VERY late. I've utilised 100% of the refined tags and HD upgrades (Jesse's HRH HUD). I mod as a hobby now on the side (with some mates of mine). I'd like to one day show everyone what I've made but I feel like unless you've made some badass mega OS firefight or campaign mod with the latest ports or CMT SPV3 tags, there's no point- you're just another stock Halo trash mod. -But that's just my 5 cents on the matter, I've actually not seen anyone actually think that but it would also be nice to know how much interest people will have taking a step back and experiencing a mod that uses PURE CE assets. Not ports, no CMT tags, no OS and no abnormal stand-out and out-of-place BSP textures or geometry.

Obviously limitations with the engine is a core problem but now I have a secondary question:
Unless you're using OS, are there limitations on the stock assets?
-OR-
How far can you go with stock assets before Tool, Sapien or Halo itself ceases to function with memory or exception crashes or errors?

Pepzee

Posted: Apr 1, 2020 11:16 PM    Msg. 9 of 15       
Quote: --- Original message by: Halo CE Noob Modder117
Obviously limitations with the engine is a core problem but now I have a secondary question:
Unless you're using OS, are there limitations on the stock assets?
-OR-
How far can you go with stock assets before Tool, Sapien or Halo itself ceases to function with memory or exception crashes or errors?

There are numerous limitations that you probably won't know about until you reach them. You can go quite far with stock assets as they don't take up much tagspace, but there is still a limit on how much you can shove into a scenario without needing OS to break that barrier.

Quote: --- Original message by: HattyHattington
nothing really seems worth putting serious effort into.

You may remember our old flood firefight project Firefight Descent: Quarantine (an ironic name right now) I was able to finish it some 7 years after we gave up on it. Your username is listed as an author as it still uses the flood scenery that you had made for it. I hope it was worth the effort you put into it at the time. Who knows, maybe your future efforts may be worth it too.

HattyHattington

goldkilla88

Posted: Apr 13, 2020 06:04 PM    Msg. 10 of 15       
I saw you released it! I know I'm a bit late now but congratulations man, I know you were working really damn hard on it, I'm intending to play it soon. You're right though, it's cool to see some of the stuff I was doing put to use! (although now that I look back I kinda cringe at how unoptimized and unrefined a lot of the stuff I did was lol)

Tachikoma

Mobile Suit enthusiast

Posted: Apr 14, 2020 12:56 AM    Msg. 11 of 15       
Not sure what you mean by everyone, seeing as how there have been people supporting the game with maps that have the same level of quality as stock for a while.

I think MCC has already significantly reduced the number of port mods as well as there really isn't a point anymore. Porting back in the day was the fact that many couldn't play it on PC. The rest of the people still porting either can't run the newer games on their PC or just don't care, but that's not up to me to judge.

For me personally, it's been an opportunity to go back to some of the nostalgia for simpler and more fun mods such as Coldsnap and Extinction, and is the basis for the new content I'm making with my friends.

I'm not sure where MCC will take CE modding as the process for converting maps right now is underwhelming and some of the backend changes are a bit worrying, but I'm still enjoying myself and I think there will be resurgence of more classical type mods now too.

killzone64

active on discord

Posted: May 15, 2020 08:26 PM    Msg. 12 of 15       
it also doesn't help that a large majority of the ce modding community have left this forum due to its lack of moderation. a few of us still check in on the forum but a large amount of whats going on is on discord nowadays. vkmt, heretic hunt, project odyssey, and halo_99 are some of the big projects being worked on currently related to CE and that's just on the reclaimers discord server. i'm pretty sure there are a couple other discord servers out there as well that have some cool projects. i personally have a multiplayer map pack in progress as well as a remastered ce tagset that i'm working on with a couple other people.

The Barron

Howdy

Posted: May 20, 2020 09:24 PM    Msg. 13 of 15       
Agreed, all my favorite maps seem to be with custom assets or very few borrowed assets.

I laugh now, but i genuinely think that people were too poor to afford an xbox years ago so there was a high demand to have CE look like H2/3/Reach with ripped tags.

pwner5889

Posted: Today @ 12:12 PM    Msg. 14 of 15       
It sucks that this game is almost dead. I was here when things were still going strong. The only reason why Halo CE was good. Was due to all of the Halo 2, 3, and Reach maps being ported over. People couldn't afford an xbox and couldn't play the newer Halo games. I wasn't able to even own a 360 and the Halo games until 2015. But now that MCC is on PC, there's no reason to even play Halo CE anymore. That, and this game is approaching 20 years old. Just sucks to see the community die...

killzone64

active on discord

Posted: Today @ 01:51 PM    Msg. 15 of 15       
Its not dead though. Just not active on the forum. Use the search function on this site and type in reclaimers, it is a discord server. Most of the major players in the community have moved there. Tons of cool stuff is still being worked on

https://discord.reclaimers.net

Edited by killzone64 on May 25, 2020 at 01:54 PM

Previous Older Thread   

Time: Mon May 25, 2020 4:32 PM 156 ms.
A Halo Maps Website