A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »We have a spammer - JadeUndead

Author Topic: We have a spammer - JadeUndead (10 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff. ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Jun 10, 2020 12:36 AM    Msg. 1 of 10       
As you probably have seen we have a spammer who is intent on posting off color and racists rants in the forum. Probably due to some imagined slight. He is from California in the Yuba City / Marysville area of the state and goes by the pseudonym of JadeUndead and/or JadeRenegade. I have blocked several of the Comcast network sub-nets in that area however I can't block them all or it will affect others. Some how he got triggered.

He has a YouTube channel (see below) and an account at Ratchet-Galaxy and apparently his Reddit account has been suspended like the one here.

Regardless of his username of the moment, Please do not respond to his posts . I will continue to delete them (it is only 2 clicks no matter how many posts he makes) as he makes new accounts and continues to post off topic.

I have turned off the email notification system and lengthened the time between posts until such time as he decides to stop.

If you know him please ask him to stop, it is just so childish. Or you can go to his YouTube channel and contact him thru there. (some of his videos are interesting)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnP5ESqmGQKE_yiaMgMLMDw

Unfortunately not everyone is properly socialized.

-Dennis

Edited by Dennis on Jun 10, 2020 at 12:46 AM

Nickster5000

Posted: Jun 10, 2020 09:06 PM    Msg. 2 of 10       
Dennis,

I have anticipated these issues on several projects that I have created, and I use an amazing technology called perspective. You can read more about it here: https://www.perspectiveapi.com/

Perspective utilizes a machine learning model to scan all content for potential toxicity, and assigns them a value between 0.0 and 1.0, with values closer to 1.0 being considered toxic. I have also looked into other alternatives like custom tensorflow models, but this one seems to be the best use for me (in terms of cost, implementation, and performance). I'm not sure how much traffic HaloMaps generates, but I've been able to use this for free, and I'm sure it would work great to mitigate the trolls.

Hopefully this helps!
Edited by Nickster5000 on Jun 10, 2020 at 09:07 PM

Oskarmandude

Bosnia

Posted: Jun 11, 2020 04:03 AM    Msg. 3 of 10       
Quote: --- Original message by: Nickster5000
Perspective utilizes a machine learning model to scan all content for potential toxicity, and assigns them a value between 0.0 and 1.0, with values closer to 1.0 being considered toxic.
Edited by Nickster5000 on Jun 10, 2020 at 09:07 PM

How does this work? Tbh I can't grasp that the entire complexity (or complicatedness rather) of human speech could be plotted on a one-dimensional plane, it's just too nuanced. Even humans have difficulty identifying sarcasm or passive-aggressiveness over text, an AI would struggle even more. Does this work outside of extreme examples?
Edited by Oskarmandude on Jun 11, 2020 at 04:04 AM

Nickster5000

Posted: Jun 11, 2020 01:34 PM    Msg. 4 of 10       
I'm not 100% sure on the actual specs, but I'm sure that it uses a form of supervised learning to create a neural network. Basically, feed the algorithm a ton of examples of what toxic content looks like, and it will iterate as many times as needed to develop a neural network model to detect toxicity. Machine learning is a very involved field, and it requires a lot of stats and computer science knowledge to succeed in.

If you scroll down on the landing page, you can type some phrases and see if it detects it as toxicity!

So with the recent wave of spams, I decided to see the feedback of his recent message as an example:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/208046640018227201/720776928084361366/unknown.png
Edited by Nickster5000 on Jun 11, 2020 at 07:14 PM

Tachikoma

RETVRN 2 TRADITION

Posted: Jun 11, 2020 09:35 PM    Msg. 5 of 10       
His reasoning literally boils down to one particular person on one discord server openly supporting a certain movement sweeping the US, to which he has the right to voice his support for. Of course one persons actions totally reflect everyone outside of that server and on here, it really sure makes a lot of sense. He's been spamming a lot of us gore and other shock content on discord and most of us have already done trust and safety reports on him.

Some people are truly zany characters nowadays.

Masters1337

halonaminator's unfortunate idol

Posted: Jun 20, 2020 12:47 PM    Msg. 6 of 10       
Quote: --- Original message by: Tachikoma
His reasoning literally boils down to one particular person on one discord server openly supporting a certain movement sweeping the US, to which he has the right to voice his support for. Of course one persons actions totally reflect everyone outside of that server and on here, it really sure makes a lot of sense. He's been spamming a lot of us gore and other shock content on discord and most of us have already done trust and safety reports on him.

It actually has nothing to do with ME making that decision, the team as a whole decided to do it, which we all support. He's outraged because he's a raging racist and anti semite as evident by everything he's done.

Tachikoma

RETVRN 2 TRADITION

Posted: Jun 22, 2020 12:39 PM    Msg. 7 of 10       
Quote: --- Original message by: Masters1337

It actually has nothing to do with ME making that decision, the team as a whole decided to do it, which we all support. He's outraged because he's a raging racist and anti semite as evident by everything he's done.

Nothing wrong with it being a team thing either, my point frankly still stands. While I can see how people /could/ view your teams initial statement as a little "try-hardy" and brand Twitter esque with everything going on I also don't see how it's worth being even more try-hardy to care so much.

OrangeJuice

Still here because their site isn't active either

Posted: Jun 22, 2020 02:39 PM    Msg. 8 of 10       
They really seem to hate halomaps even though there's literally only one post per week on this website.
And it's not even about anything controversial, just that boring tag ripping program. Nothing else ever happens here.

It's like yelling at a blade of grass. What a strange person

Edited by OrangeJuice on Jun 22, 2020 at 03:08 PM

Tachikoma

RETVRN 2 TRADITION

Posted: Jun 22, 2020 03:25 PM    Msg. 9 of 10       
Quote: --- Original message by: OrangeJuice

They really seem to hate halomaps even though there's literally only one post per week on this website.
And it's not even about anything controversial, just that boring tag ripping program. Nothing else ever happens here.

It's like yelling at a blade of grass. What a strange person

The fact that it's true makes it more depressing.

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff. ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Jun 23, 2020 11:48 AM    Msg. 10 of 10       

I finally read one of the spam posts before 2 click deleting them all and it was a fever dream of right-wing propaganda and misinformation about what is arguably one of the most important and overdue social movements in my lifetime. I marched in the streets for the right of 18 year old's to vote and to end the Vietnam war (yes I am that old) and have born witness to the inequities that the Black Lives Matter movement justifiably seeks to end. And while I applaud and support those currently marching for justice, this forum is not the place to debate such matters regardless of your views.

I am locking this thread so as to not give it more air.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sun July 12, 2020 5:45 AM 141 ms.
A Halo Maps Website