A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Before you ask how to edit/make maps - Read This

Page 2 of 2 Go to page: · 1 · [2] · Prev
Author Topic: Before you ask how to edit/make maps - Read This (43 messages, Page 2 of 2)
Moderators: Dennis

OrangeJuice

I laugh at people who put STUDIO in their names.

Posted: Jun 19, 2012 01:37 AM    Msg. 36 of 43       
Networking Tips and Tricks:

01 - Using the same source folders on every computer
When working on assets from more than one computer, a neat trick is to get every computer to use the same source. There are a few ways to do this, but two of them are: symbolic links, or using a NAS drive(network drive). If you work as a dev. team, this is a great way to increase productivity because you don't have to stop one another to bring your finished work to the main computer! Imagine this: you made a grenade from your laptop, sounds and all. When you make changes to your grenade, all the master computer has to do is know that you are finished, and just load up sapien! The changes that were made will already be ingame because y'all were sharing a tags folder

The first method, linking to a master computer(WINDOWS):
>>Linking to a master computer involves using command prompt to make symbolic links. A symbolic-link is a low level shortcut that when used, silently brings the user to another folder or process without being detected, they're useful for moving old programs around, ones that only install to a fixed location.

STEP01: Find a computer that you know is the most reliable in a file-sharing situation, and make sure it has "File and Printer Sharing" enabled.
STEP02: Find out that computer's name: This can be done by opening a command-prompt and typing:
tracert localhost

The computer's name will be after the words "Tracing route to ".
STEP03: enable sharing for the folders that you want(be sure to specify share names), when a share is made, you can access that share from another computer on your local network by typing this into your address bar:
//computerName/shareName

STEP04: Preparing other development computers: In each of the Halo Custom Edition install directories, you should rename or remove(don't delete them if you like portability) the folders that you want to use the remote versions of.
STEP05: making the links: After each computers' local folders are out of the way(symbolic-links work by there NOT being an original folder), it is time to make links to each of the main shared sources! Open a command prompt in the Halo Custom Edition install folder(or just open tool since that is how it is set up(NOT a tool UI!!)).
What we are going to do here is this: make symbolic-links for each of the shared sources(sources being, things like the data folder, tags, folder, and the maps folder(OR a combination of those))
to make a link, open up your tool prompt(because tool operates from the install directory) and use this command to make a symbolic-link for each of your remote sources:
mklink /D localFolderName //computerName/shareName

You should be done.

My example of sharing sources is this: I have my main computer set up as the host, sharing its maps folder and tags folder, I also have two development laptops(one for sound creation, and the other for asset creation besides BSPs). The two laptops have had their maps and tags folders renamed so that Halo Custom Edition won't use them, and symbolic-links are in place of the original(they have the shorcut symbol next to them, but since they are low-level routes to their destinations my computer thinks that it is looking at its own maps and data folders(apparent in the address bar)). Whenever one is taken, to be worked on somewhere else, the person using them can just rename the folders and symbolic links. The reason I DON'T share data folders is so we can't ruin our source material by having people accidentally work on the same things and possibly corrupting them, forcing eachother to restart from scratch.
Edited by OrangeJuice on Jun 19, 2012 at 09:59 PM

Nickster5000

Posted: Dec 24, 2012 02:24 PM    Msg. 37 of 43       
I thought I'd put a copy of this on this thread for modelers:

I think it was posted earlier, but the link died, so heres another :P

Hs_crozzhair

Posted: Jan 1, 2013 05:35 PM    Msg. 38 of 43       
When I run the gmax installer, it just installs fraps and that's it.

I have tried downloading again.

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff. ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Jan 1, 2013 07:37 PM    Msg. 39 of 43       
Quote: --- Original message by: Hs_crozzhair
When I run the gmax installer, it just installs fraps and that's it.

I have tried downloading again.
You need to delete the files in your Temp folder. Fraps and Gmax use similar installers and fraps leave the installer in the temp directory

Open windows explorer and in the address bar type %temp% and return. This will open your temp directory. Sort the file list in detail mode by date and delete everything that is not from this year (2013). You may find some files in use so just skip them when prompted. Then try installing gmax again.

Hs_crozzhair

Posted: Jan 1, 2013 09:53 PM    Msg. 40 of 43       
The only 2 files left that are in use are

FXSAPIDebugLogFile
AdobeARM

and it still doesn't work.

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff. ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Jan 1, 2013 11:42 PM    Msg. 41 of 43       
Check the C:\windows\temp folder as well. On Win7/Vista you will need admin privilege to access is but it may be there. This is a known issue in that fraps leaves it's installer and Gmax uses the same one but doesn't overwrite it. It's always in one of the temp folders.

Hobbet360

ProTools > ToolPro

Posted: Jan 6, 2014 09:24 PM    Msg. 42 of 43       
This post is about,
Bluestreak GBXmodel Importer. -Fixed.
Bluestreak JMS Exporter. -Fixed.

-Not Fixed by me.

**********************************************************************************************

Well, I found these; they were not that hard to find, but I made them even easier to get.

First one is a a fixed GBXmodel importer, it correctly assigns the materials, aswell as imports them ALL; not just the first two.
It can be found HERE, this one was fixed up but SlowBullet, if I remember correctly; though it still does not get the correct destination folder of the .tif files in data.
In many feeble attempts at this, I just end up corrupting the .ms.

Second, a AWESOME fix for BlueStreak; exporting at REDICULOUS SPEEDS!
It can be found HERE, speed factor was made possible by "bobbysoon", the rest of the credits are found in the "about" tab/button/thing, when you load it.
-Also, this one is apparently supposed to be in "GmaxPlugins/"
-gMax ONLY!!!!

@Mootjuh, since my IP is banned, and I can't be bothered hopping on a proxy, lol.
You may have the the same problem that I had with Chimp; 3 open edges, non-existing, but the wrl (and in-gamed with toolio) says that there is a vert that has been stretched across the world.

Fix = I haven't come accross any yet.

Fix 2 = I may have left out the detail that it is gMax ONLY, that may have caused it, lol, sorry.

Edited by Hobbet360 on Jan 6, 2014 at 09:38 PM
Edited by Hobbet360 on Jan 10, 2014 at 03:53 AM

sparky

You won't listen to me anyway.

Posted: May 4, 2016 12:41 PM    Msg. 43 of 43       

Page 2 of 2 Go to page: · 1 · [2] · Prev

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Tue March 28, 2017 12:08 AM 297 ms.
A Halo Maps Website