A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo 2 Vista Forum (Bungie/Microsoft) »Halo 2 Vista General Discussion »I think I found a way around the user agreement for modifyed HEKs O.o

Author Topic: I think I found a way around the user agreement for modifyed HEKs O.o (19 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Orange_Geko

How long since I last used this account?

Posted: Jun 26, 2007 02:57 PM    Msg. 1 of 19       
Quote:
work around any technical limitations in the software;

reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble the software, except and only to the extent that applicable law expressly permits, despite this limitation;

make more copies of the software than specified in this agreement or allowed by applicable law, despite this limitation;

publish the software for others to copy;

rent, lease or lend the software; or

use the software for commercial software hosting services.

it only involves one person breaking a rule.. someone gives the HEK to someone who isnt bond to the agreement, they then modify it, and it doesnt say anything about reciving any modifyed copys, only modifying them yourself O.o then after that one single person broke it by giving it to the person to edit it, everyone gets a unlocked HEK.. anyone see anything flaws with this plan?

Quote: Media Elements and Templates. You may copy and use images, clip art, animations, sounds, music, shapes, video clips and templates provided with the software and identified for such use in documents and projects that you create. You may distribute those documents and projects non-commercially. If you wish to use these media elements or templates for any other purpose, go to www.microsoft.com/permission to learn whether that use is allowed.
that means you can give out all the files from within the game to freely use in HCE LOL

Rm860

Dennis sleeps like this!

Posted: Jun 26, 2007 05:25 PM    Msg. 2 of 19       
i think there is a loop hole about reverse engenering (spelled wrong) or something like that.

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff. ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Jun 26, 2007 06:09 PM    Msg. 3 of 19       
Not so much. Having the software means you are bound by the EULA except such provisions of the EULA that may is superceeded by local law.

Orange_Geko

Posted: Jun 26, 2007 07:06 PM    Msg. 4 of 19       
Quote: --- Original message by: Dennis
Not so much. Having the software means you are bound by the EULA except such provisions of the EULA that may is superceeded by local law.

but.. if you are sent it, you never click the "I AGREE TO THE TERMS OF SERVIS" button.. well, since you are the over all law knoledge data base, does the second part work about the people being able to recive the modified HEK since it doesnt acauly go with what the part about you not repairing it since it would have been another person?

Rm860

Dennis sleeps like this!

Posted: Jun 26, 2007 07:49 PM    Msg. 5 of 19       
yes but by playing the game it's the same thing as agreeing to the EULA, even if you don't click the i agree thing.

Orange_Geko

Posted: Jun 26, 2007 08:37 PM    Msg. 6 of 19       
Quote: --- Original message by: Rm860
yes but by playing the game it's the same thing as agreeing to the EULA, even if you don't click the i agree thing.
.. its the HEK we are talking about.. lol, so, if someone is sent the HEK and never played H2V, they get away with it? lol

Rm860

Dennis sleeps like this!

Posted: Jun 26, 2007 09:55 PM    Msg. 7 of 19       
no, cause they are still using the software. thus by using it, it's is as if saying they agree.

Orange_Geko

Posted: Jun 26, 2007 10:55 PM    Msg. 8 of 19       
Quote: --- Original message by: Rm860
no, cause they are still using the software. thus by using it, it's is as if saying they agree.
and you saying that has another way around it. they just dont use it until they finish lol, cause it teh way it is set out says you "can't" not "havn't" lol

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff. ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Jun 26, 2007 11:40 PM    Msg. 9 of 19       
Ignorance is not a defense in the eyes of the law.

Rm860

Dennis sleeps like this!

Posted: Jun 27, 2007 03:30 PM    Msg. 10 of 19       
Quote: --- Original message by: Dennis
Ignorance is not a defense in the eyes of the law.

but insanatity is lol

by using the sortwere you agree to all the terms, no matter how you got it. It's pretty much against the user agreement to even use the software without agreeing.

Caboose117

Seriously guys?

Posted: Jun 27, 2007 04:43 PM    Msg. 11 of 19       
^ That can give a man a headache lol. But what if Bungie modifies it.... Are they breaking the EULA? I bet no....

tygron

Furry and proud :3

Posted: Jun 27, 2007 06:54 PM    Msg. 12 of 19       
Good poinht... however it's their game so why would the government give a crap?

Rm860

Dennis sleeps like this!

Posted: Jun 27, 2007 08:16 PM    Msg. 13 of 19       
well it's doubtful legal action would ever happen to a person who moded the H2EK, but who knows lol.

fact is though hacking, unlocking, reverse engenering, would take someone a long time. I can't imagine how complex that would be, few would have the skills to do it.

tygron

Posted: Jun 27, 2007 08:37 PM    Msg. 14 of 19       
I know some people that have done it. Not giving names.

Rm860

Dennis sleeps like this!

Posted: Jun 27, 2007 08:48 PM    Msg. 15 of 19       
good for them lol. they are probably haveing alot of fun.

tygron

Posted: Jun 27, 2007 08:52 PM    Msg. 16 of 19       
heck they even told me how they did it... it's just a file that tells gurrilla what is allowed to be edited and what is not......... and they may have slipped me the file aswell... haven't tried it yet but it sounds fun lol.

EDIT: fixed a typo that would confuse people.

and no you may not have the file unless the person who sent it to me says I can give it to you. I will not say names unless they tell me it's ok aswell.
Edited by tygron on Jun 27, 2007 at 08:54 PM

Rm860

Dennis sleeps like this!

Posted: Jun 27, 2007 10:36 PM    Msg. 17 of 19       
i never said i wanted it, don't assume that i wanted to know if i never said i did. I am not a noob here, don't treat me like one, you don't have to say stuff like that to a senior member on halomaps. nor did i ask to know the names of the people who do, i never even asked if you had it. I did not even ask to know how, nor do i seek to. show me some respect man.

with a unlocked h2ek i bet people can do alot with it. i knew eventually people would figure out how to unlock it, i never expected it to be this soon though.

tygron

Posted: Jun 27, 2007 10:48 PM    Msg. 18 of 19       
It wasn't directed to you, it was to whoever reads that and would ask those questions. I know your not new here.

Rm860

Dennis sleeps like this!

Posted: Jun 27, 2007 11:26 PM    Msg. 19 of 19       
alrighty it just looked that way then cause i was the only other poster. it probably would have been better to say something like "i won't give it to others"

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Thu October 17, 2019 3:35 PM 188 ms.
A Halo Maps Website