A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: MosesofEgypt
About Contact
Last Post: Today @ 01:04 AM
Interests:
Your Age:
What Games do you play:

Post Statistics
MosesofEgypt has contributed to 339 posts out of 464179 total posts (.07%) in 1,602 days (.21 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:

Well poop, can't do anything about that. Its saying it cant load the bitmaps.map as a memory mapped file. That is an issue with your system resources, and is causing both of those errors. Kinda weird though since a memory map doesnt actually copy the file into memory, but rather treats it like a paging file(the same way halo treats a map file as a section of ram).

I can't help you other than to point you here and say to maybe ease up on your system resources?
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/507853/system-error-code-8-not-enough-storage-is-available-to-process-this-command

I was able to extract all but 2 of the tags by just renaming the -sounds.map, -loc.map, and -bitmaps.map to remove the dash. Refinery will use them as the default caches, which actually works out just fine it seems lol. I doubt those resource maps will actually work properly for non-spv3 maps though. If there isnt a bitmaps.map, sounds.map, and loc.map in the folder with the map you're trying to extract, refinery will ask you to select them, which you could do instead of renaming them.

Btw, the reason refinery couldn't extract those 2 is because it uses a hard-coded mapping to determine which promotion sound each sound tag points to in the sounds resource map. since cmt uses their own resource map, this mapping is wrong. I'm gonna push out an update to refinery to address a couple bugs, so grab it in about an hour from here: https://bitbucket.org/Moses_of_Egypt/mek/downloads/

Also, grab the new installer and run it when you do, as it works now and I'll be pushing out a small tweak to the reclaimer library.
Edited by MosesofEgypt on Aug 21, 2017 at 02:47 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » HMU 8/19/17 - SPV3 Completed! Aug 19, 2017 10:00 PM (Total replies: 8)

You can use 7-zip to extract all the files from the installer executable(right click and open it with 7-zip). The files you extract with an extension like ".yumi"(I can't actually remember the extension and I'm not downloading the 4.6GB again) are actually zip files. Just rename them to .zip and extract them. Idk if this will allow you to actually properly install spv3, but I do know that I was able to get the maps and load them in refinery doing this. I actually extracted that 1500x1155 A8R8G8B8 error screen bitmap in the post above just to see what it was.
Edited by MosesofEgypt on Aug 19, 2017 at 10:00 PM

Actually it wasnt a bug with python, it was me not understanding that pip cant work with egg files, and that I'd have to upload them as wheel files. It's a stupid reason I know, but that's why. Also, it's not like python is required for JUST the updates, it's required for anything in the toolkit :p

Thanks. Also, I just tried another fix to the mek installer. Its current version is 1.2.3, and it is now set to automatically ignore cached versions of my libraries, so it will always try to fetch the newest version. Hopefully this FINALLY fixes the upgrade issues.

EDIT: Or not..... Now I gotta figure out what the heck is going on...

EDIT2: SCRATCH THAT I FIGURED IT OUT FINALLY!!!111!!! God was that annoying. Apparently pip doesnt like .egg files, so I have to upload updates now as .whl files. Jesus was that an annoying and unsatisfying reason for it not working.
Edited by MosesofEgypt on Aug 19, 2017 at 12:04 AM

I found and fixed a pretty serious bug with one of my libraries. This bug would manifest if you used "duplicate" on an array of reflexives and then edited something in that reflexive that relies on some neighboring data. The bug was that the duplicates were still using their original parent nodes as parents, rather than the new a cloned parent, so internal hierarchy was broken when seeking from leaf nodes toward the root. This made it so if a child node needed to set some data in its parent(like a reflexive describing how many entries it contains) it would set it in the original parent rather than the clone.

I know the above wont make much sense to most of you, but trust me that it's a pretty serious issue. The issue wont manifest under most conditions(I can't explain it here), but it can still cause tags to become corrupted in certain cases. Unless you've encountered it corrupting a tag yourself, it's highly unlikely that you have been making corrupted tags because of it(its so stupidly unlikely they'd load if they were corrupt).

The MEK installer's upgrade function SHOULD be fixed now. Dont forget to tick the "force reinstall" button before hitting upgrade.

If it doesn't say it downloaded and installed at least supyr_struct 0.9.15, you might need to download and install it manually. I have explained why this might occur before and how to manually install, so I'm going to copy+paste that below:

Quote: This issue seems to be occurring for lots of people for some reason, so I figured it's time to tell everyone what's going on and how to manually fix this.

Python has a package manager called Pip, and the MEK_Installer calls on it to look for the packages that my library depends on. For some reason(I think it might be due to a version naming convention), Pip is using an old version of some of the libraries, even when there are new versions available. Pip's job is more or less to find those packages, download them, and install them to python's site-packages folder so python apps can find and use them.

Here are steps to manually download the newest versions and install them. It's not hard or complicated.

1: Locate your python installation folder and in it go to "Lib\site-packages\"(mine is "C:\Python35\Lib\site-packages"). If you've already run the MEK_Installer and it completed you should see at least these 4 folders in there: binilla, mozzarilla, reclaimer, supyr_struct.

2: Delete those 4 folders and any folders that look like them, but with a bunch of other crap on the end(like binilla-2017.4.17.dist-info)

3: Download the most up to date versions of each of those 4 from my Bitbucket repositories:
Binilla: https://bitbucket.org/Moses_of_Egypt/binilla/downloads/
Mozzarilla: https://bitbucket.org/Moses_of_Egypt/mozzarilla/downloads/
Reclaimer: https://bitbucket.org/Moses_of_Egypt/reclaimer/downloads/
Supyr Struct: https://bitbucket.org/Moses_of_Egypt/supyr_struct/downloads/

4: Unzip them to the site-packages folder and make sure to rename them to binilla, mozzarilla, reclaimer, and supyr_struct.

Edited by MosesofEgypt on Aug 15, 2017 at 02:21 PM

Can you load ANY tags? If not then it's probably a permissions issue with python. Try to claim user ownership of the halo custom edition directory. This has been a problem with lots of people using my tools.

Also, I suggest you download the MEK from here: https://bitbucket.org/Moses_of_Egypt/mek/downloads/

I did a bad and accidentally linked you to an outdated version of mozzarilla. Just delete what I told you to download before and download this one and read the readme to install it. There is also troubleshooting section in the readme that should help you fix any issues. Sorry for wasting your time with the old version.

Could you screencap this? I've never heard of this happening. Also, if you're using the old version of mozz that can be found on the CE3 website, don't. Install the MEK. You can find it here:

http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=49967

Mozz has a broken dependency scanner. It doesn't recursively scan tags in the selected folder, but if you have it scan your entire tags directory it'll tell you if anything is broken.

Edited by MosesofEgypt on Aug 7, 2017 at 12:51 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » [BETA RELEASE] Refinery 0.7 Aug 5, 2017 06:33 PM (Total replies: 49)

Yeah, OS extraction IS implemented into Refinery, but it's not 100% perfect. I'm not exactly sure where it's at, but if I had to make an educated guess I'd say around 90% minimum. If you can get the original OS tags from somewhere, use those. Refinery should only be used to get OS tags as a last resort. Certain maps rip just fine(bigass is actually a yelo map in disguise and it recompiles), but others I've tried dont have the same luck.

Also, did I manage to fix the update feature of the MEK_Installer for you, or did you just download and manually install the packages?

Halo CE General Discussion » [BETA RELEASE] Refinery 0.7 Aug 3, 2017 08:27 PM (Total replies: 49)

This issue seems to be occurring for lots of people for some reason, so I figured it's time to tell everyone what's going on and how to manually fix this.

Python has a package manager called Pip, and the MEK_Installer calls on it to look for the packages that my library depends on. For some reason(I think it might be due to a version naming convention), Pip is using an old version of some of the libraries, even when there are new versions available. Pip's job is more or less to find those packages, download them, and install them to python's site-packages folder so python apps can find and use them.

Here are steps to manually download the newest versions and install them. It's not hard or complicated.

1: Locate your python installation folder and in it go to "Lib\site-packages\"(mine is "C:\Python35\Lib\site-packages"). If you've already run the MEK_Installer and it completed you should see at least these 4 folders in there: binilla, mozzarilla, reclaimer, supyr_struct.

2: Delete those 4 folders and any folders that look like them, but with a bunch of other crap on the end(like binilla-2017.4.17.dist-info)

3: Download the most up to date versions of each of those 4 from my Bitbucket repositories:
Binilla: https://bitbucket.org/Moses_of_Egypt/binilla/downloads/
Mozzarilla: https://bitbucket.org/Moses_of_Egypt/mozzarilla/downloads/
Reclaimer: https://bitbucket.org/Moses_of_Egypt/reclaimer/downloads/
Supyr Struct: https://bitbucket.org/Moses_of_Egypt/supyr_struct/downloads/

4: Unzip them to the site-packages folder and make sure to rename them to binilla, mozzarilla, reclaimer, and supyr_struct.

This should fix the problem, and should make it so you can update just fine from now on. Alternatively, I think I might've just fixed the issue, so you're welcome to try the running the update function of the installer with "force reinstall" again.

Halo CE General Discussion » Question about sound_looping tags Aug 3, 2017 06:17 PM (Total replies: 3)

Seriously, I'm needing info on exactly how a sound_looping tag controls sound playback. I'm writing an app that will allow people to play sound_looping tags in the way Halo would. Who doesn't want to be able to listen to an endless loop of anything in the Halo sound track? I should even be able to get it working as a mobile app thanks to the JUCE framework I'm using.

I can currently load both sound and sound_looping tags, decode the xbox adpcm audio to something the computer can play(16bit signed PCM), and load all the sound dependencies of a sound_looping tag. I'm about half done with the program. Here is my tentative todo list:

figure out/implement the logistics of getting the audio permutation chunks in order
currently working on this
figure out exactly how the sound_looping tag is supposed to be used for playing music
help me with this?
figure out how to get the JUCE framework to play pcm and ogg audio
figure out anything specific to audio i need to know for playing uninterrupted music
design gui

JUCE can already handle playing ogg audio, so I don't need to worry about decoding that. The working name for the program is Composer, but I don't really like it so I'll be changing it when I think of something better.
Edited by MosesofEgypt on Aug 3, 2017 at 06:19 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Question about sound_looping tags Aug 1, 2017 02:42 AM (Total replies: 3)

Does anyone here know exactly how the tag works? Like, in detail. I'm writing a new little toy that operates on them, and I'll need to know things like how it decides when to use the alternate loop and end, what the detail sound periods are, what the flags do, etc. Any really technical information on the sound_looping and sound tags is appreciated. I'm making something you guys might like to play with.
Edited by MosesofEgypt on Aug 1, 2017 at 02:42 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Found some beta footage of halo from mid 2001 Jul 27, 2017 08:51 PM (Total replies: 10)

What about redistributing the decompiled tags ripped with refinery? They wouldn't be playable beta maps at that point, and only the original h1x tools could turn them into them. Ask the guy about that. I don't know his reasoning, but if he just doesn't want a playable copy of the maps on the internet then he might agree to it. It's worth a shot.
Edited by MosesofEgypt on Jul 27, 2017 at 08:52 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » [BETA RELEASE] Refinery 0.7 Jul 24, 2017 01:34 AM (Total replies: 49)

Sorry, forgot to say to check "Force reinstall" before you hit upgrade. If that doesn't do it, then message me your discord or skype and I'll be able to help you more.

Halo CE General Discussion » [BETA RELEASE] Refinery 0.7 Jul 23, 2017 07:06 PM (Total replies: 49)

Run the mek_installer and tell it to update. That'll fix it. If it doesnt, clear your python pip cache and run it again.

Halo CE General Discussion » [BETA RELEASE] Refinery 0.7 Jul 19, 2017 05:39 PM (Total replies: 49)

I have no experience with virtual machines, but i dont see why not. Tbh I think you might just want to save yourself the hassle in the long run and try to debug the install problem if you haven't already. Maybe try redirecting it to install to your C drive root rather than appdata. It's what i did with mine.

Halo CE General Discussion » Today is Net Neutrality Day Jul 19, 2017 01:46 PM (Total replies: 35)

No, you're baiting. If you're not convinced at this point then it's probably because you're trying to get people mad at you for your perceived ignorance/skepticism/lack of understanding. Don't be a child.

I will re-iterate:
"I could potentially implement texource into hboc, but I'd have to reorganize hboc's gui to add it in, and hboc's code is a mess that I don't want to deal with from before I had developed good coding practices."

Go take a look at hboc's code. It's not something i want to mess with anymore. I've tweaked it a bit here and there in the past, but I'm not gonna add another button to its already cluttered interface, edit the functions that process the settings, etc, etc. It's not worth my time. And as far as your quip about mozz, I was just talking with a friend about that.

Quote:
MosesofEgypt - Yesterday at 7:12 PM
my tools aren't so coheasive
now, i could understand if i had like, an editor for one type of tag
and an editor for another
instead of mozzarilla

Gabo7 - Yesterday at 7:12 PM
those two are about halo bitmaps though

MosesofEgypt - Yesterday at 7:12 PM
they're wanting me to roll all my tools into mozz

Gabo7 - Yesterday at 7:13 PM
oh
that's a no-no

Mozz is essentially a tool for editing and creating tags. It has some bitmap specific tools built into it for sure, but their function is still creating tags. There was a point that I was considering combining my converters into mozz and making a new "Conversions" menu, but I decided against it. It would have included functions where you could do things like turn tags to/from open sauce, models to/from gbxmodels, etc. I decided not to though as I didn't have the time to make a whole slew of converters and come up with a nice framework for it.

There's a thing called separation of concerns, and this applies here as well. At a certain point, you have to decide what belongs somewhere and what doesnt. If you don't, you get what Donut mentioned here:
Quote: The alternative is what you get with the old unreal editor, where you need to load the whole rendering engine just to access the script editor.

Or here where it talks about how bloated Destiny's editor was.
Quote:
Let’s say a designer wants to go in and move a resource node two inches. They go into the editor. First they have to load their map overnight. It takes eight hours to input their map overnight. They get [into the office] in the morning. If their importer didn’t fail, they open the map. It takes about 20 minutes to open. They go in and they move that node two feet. And then they’d do a 15-20 minute compile. Just to do a half-second change.

http://gearnuke.com/destinys-game-engine-complete-mess-took-hours-just-half-second-change/

This is obviously an extreme example no where near the level my toolset is at, but the point remains.
Edited by MosesofEgypt on Jul 18, 2017 at 02:10 AM

Because there are different schools of thought for how to design programs, and I'm partial to the "One tool for one job" approach. I don't like the idea of bloating a program with a lot of things that you wont necessarily need at any one time. Even if it didn't cost a significant amount of resources to add it in, it would cost gui space, and I'd rather not add more buttons and menus than necessary. A way to possibly get around that would to better organize my programs functions into categorized dropdown menus, but that just means more things you have to go through to get to what you want. I could potentially implement texource into hboc, but I'd have to reorganize hboc's gui to add it in, and hboc's code is a mess that I don't want to deal with from before I had developed good coding practices.

This is more or less what I'm talking about.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_philosophy#Origin

You say I've got a bloated program list, but I'd rather have that than a bloated program.
Edited by MosesofEgypt on Jul 17, 2017 at 07:09 PM

Time: Mon August 21, 2017 1:51 PM 344 ms.
A Halo Maps Website