A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts
Viewing User Profile for: DeadHamster
About Contact
Last Post: Today @ 02:47 PM
Your Age:
What Games do you play:

Post Statistics
DeadHamster has contributed to 592 posts out of 466182 total posts (.13%) in 1,381 days (.43 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE General Discussion » Halo Maps will be updating Today @ 02:47 PM (Total replies: 2)

Post them at haloce3.com

HaloMaps won't be updating anymore.

Halo CE General Discussion » To find an encounter name Today @ 09:23 AM (Total replies: 14)

Quote: --- Original message by: BayBounty

You both are awesome, i'm going to test this stuff.
And also, do you know how to make so when you die in a single player mission, it makes it to where you do not immediately revert to last save?
Edited by BayBounty on Mar 19, 2018 at 07:08 AM

Heh, you want to do this without actually opening and modding the mapfile, only through command console?

Probably not, but it depends on what you want the game to do instead of reverting. I have an idea, but it depends on what result you're looking for

Quote: --- Original message by: SBB_Michelle
Better idea: http://halocetutorials.tk

I might make a proper website at some point in the future.

That is better than what I did, but I got bored last night so

will also work for you.
Edited by DeadHamster on Mar 19, 2018 at 09:07 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Ten Speed: Rio firefight Today @ 09:02 AM (Total replies: 4)

Is this it?

Halo CE General Discussion » BSP Portalling Today @ 08:57 AM (Total replies: 28)

Quote: --- Original message by: sparky

Don't have a single triangle within more than two clusters...

Don't have a single edge in more than two clusters...

That's very very helpful, hadn't really considered that yet.

Quote: --- Original message by: il Duce Primo
From testing that I've done they do not cull in different ways. The only difference that occurs is during the process of running the model through tool. Tool does not do any modification to exact portals but regular portals it cuts up and turns them into exact portals to fit the geometry they're placed in. That's why they're typically used in large terrain areas where it would be difficult or too tedious to sit there make exact portals. Once the model is gone through tool the game makes no distinction between exact portals or not. They're all simply portals.

This makes a lot of sense. I know it cut portals based on terrain, but it makes perfect sense that it "converts" them to exacts.

Edited by DeadHamster on Mar 19, 2018 at 08:58 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » BSP Portalling Yesterday @ 10:36 PM (Total replies: 28)

All of that is understood, I'm trying to figure out the rules on constructing them and using them properly. They do cull and in different ways than exact portals. The two are not interchangeable but need to be used alongside each other.

Halo CE General Discussion » To find an encounter name Yesterday @ 06:23 PM (Total replies: 14)

Quote: --- Original message by: OrangeJuice

Use the command:

ai_free encounter_block_here
frees an AI from its active encounter area

As far as identifying encounter_blocks or squad_blocks that you could use, I am unaware of any way to do this without sapien-only debug commands or simply guessing which encounter blocks go where in Guerilla
Edited by OrangeJuice on Mar 18, 2018 at 06:21 PM

ai_free_units (players)

Halo CE General Discussion » BSP Portalling Yesterday @ 05:33 PM (Total replies: 28)

Quote: Seraphim -
well, let me try and explain my own vague knowledge with terrain portals...
the HEK tutorial grid setup, for example
on a box map which exceeds the stock polycount of 24k, when you use the grid, if you stand in a corner of the map within a portal with both it's normals facing outward, away from the player, the whole level will render. if the scene exceeds 32k polies, they begin popping and whatnot(edited)
if you stand in the opposite corner, with both the normals facing inward, then the entire level will be culled from sight, besides that portal
DeadHamster -
Seraphim -
i should probably test the phenomena more thoroughly and document results for a halomaps thread or something, but i haven't gotten around to it yet
it's really f bizarre, frankly(edited)
DeadHamster -
The face of the normals did affect terrain drawing, but that's screwy
You've personally seen/tested this?
Seraphim -
that's been my experience with it over the years, portaling levels for my friends who couldn't be bothered to read the tutorial
you know how it says normals will face to the "north and east?"
or some shot like that
DeadHamster -
So geometry is nulled based on the direction of the face
Seraphim -
DeadHamster -
That's important in the way you construct them.
Seraphim -
normals are very important with portals, both regular and exact
DeadHamster -
I figured with regular not as much
Seraphim -
you can totally bone yourself if you don't pay careful attention to where your normals face
DeadHamster -
I think that changes like, almost everything
Anything else like that?
Seraphim -
when you're doing terrain portals, you have to make sure that the planes themselves SHARE vertices when you're constructing and extruding them
you cannot have them intersect, or go right through one another
they have to actually connect with one another
DeadHamster -
yup, face to face forming a sealed environment using either other +portals or level geometry
Seraphim -
right. the tutorial does a good job of explaining this
DeadHamster -
Have you seen the portals done by the TSC:E team?
Seraphim -
no i haven't, but i've heard they're einstein levels of complicated
DeadHamster -
They box everything out and use a ton of extra vertices. Which is extremely similar to how it's done by Bungie in the default TSC level
Seraphim -
if you could send me a picture of that, it'd be great so i could try and deduce how important the normals are
but if you can't be bothered that's totally fine, i have the files
DeadHamster -
By boxing out the playable area of the map, and facing the normals inward, it would only cull playable areas and not the cliffs
so the cliffs won't be culled which the player can see from a distance
and they use a TON of portals
getting screens now
Seraphim -
now i know that when you start using too many portals you get even worse clipping, in most cases
DeadHamster -
yeah, and they use a ton
Seraphim -
because the game only likes to have so many subclusters drawn on the player's screen at once before it just starts culling almost everything
it's a fudgeing ludicrous balancing act, seemingly
DeadHamster -
there's an overview

so see how they box out the things way out in nowhere? the decorators?
normals face inwards
That would make them always show, no?
Seraphim -
transparency's making it hard as hell to see...
backface cull on?
DeadHamster -

Seraphim -
so they box them in with the normals facing inwards or outwards?
DeadHamster -
Seraphim -
probably outwards?
DeadHamster -

I'll brb, give me like 10-15 minutes
Seraphim -
no problem at all
DeadHamster -
and yes their normals ALWAYS face inwards to the portal

Seraphim -
okay, it might be that, while you're within a terrain portal volume, the geometry within will render, as well as geometry outside of the volume that's VISIBLE to the player
when you leave that volume, and you traverse to another volume, and that original volume is no longer visible to the player or is occluded by BSP geometry, it will cull itself
this is accounting for volumes that have normals facing inwards
if they were facing outwards, it would probably be reversed
in the reverse scenario, where normals face outwards for the volumes, the player would probably see all the geometry within their subcluster, but no other geometry outside of that cluster would be rendered or drawn
i'll tell you what i'll do: i'll use this theory and apply it to my terrain portaling of your cityscape level that you sent me. when i get that finished, i'll send it to you and you can compile it and see if it works at all like intended
DeadHamster -
I believe that clusters get defined by inwards facing +portal planes, and that you can view clusters close to yours
Overview of the whole exterior.

They regularly use volumes with over 4 sides
and less
Seraphim -
i think i get the idea now
normals are still important in this example regardless, because i have firsthand experience with what happens when they aren't consistent or when they all face towards one direction or corner of a map
because at either extreme, ALL the geometry renders or NONE of it renders
as per the grid example, specifically speaking
see, the gearbox devs didn't have to worry about high polycounts though
they express that an MP level should never exceed 10k polies in the tutorial, despite the default draw for the game being 24k
so they probably had shotty, basic portaling throughout and didn't have extensive knowledge of it anyway
DeadHamster -
That's a wireframe of CMT's portals.
DeadHamster -
But as per the wireframe, notice that they have verts in the middle of portal faces
Portals when compiled will get marked down to the simplest possible shapes, per Moses
so long as their convex coplanar blah blah blah
Seraphim -
he's told me that much as well

Some good info there. More work being done.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Whats making marines flinch so much. Yesterday @ 09:15 AM (Total replies: 3)

You have to remove the biped's ping animation and set the ping interrupt times to 0

Halo CE General Discussion » [RELEASE] Mo's Editing Kit Essentials (MEKE) Yesterday @ 08:56 AM (Total replies: 29)

Quote: --- Original message by: Masters1337
there are a few things out there. No beta's other than 2247 as far as I am aware.

Official Xbox magazine had a demo of it, which I played over and over until I bought the original game. It has an extra cinematic of Johnson at the end.

Not sure what the PC demo has in it, but I imagine it was the same as both had TSC.

PC demo had TSC as well as Bloodgulch for multiplayer, with a bit at the end where Sargeant Johnson tells players to buy the full version. Is xbox the same, without the map bloodgulch perhaps?

Halo CE General Discussion » To find an encounter name Yesterday @ 08:54 AM (Total replies: 14)

Where did you get that command from anyways?

Unit converts an object class into a unit.

list_get returns the index you choose from the list of objects given. Player 1 is always listed as index 0 in the game-created list players.

So that should have selected your player, converted it to a unit, and then set it to never freeze or lock up. But it didn't probably because of how that particular command functions.

All these can be found in the HSC Halo Script Bible, or by printing out the commands with Sapien.

Halo CE General Discussion » To find an encounter name Mar 17, 2018 09:28 AM (Total replies: 14)

Tried it multiple times exactly how it was, it didn't result in anything happening or stopping the freezes, anything else?

That's all I got, thought it might work.

Halo CE General Discussion » To find an encounter name Mar 16, 2018 11:10 PM (Total replies: 14)

Alright do I put those words in specifically or do I need to know the unit name?

With parenthases aswell?
Edited by BayBounty on Mar 16, 2018 at 10:51 PM

exactly what I typed exactly how I typed it.

Halo CE General Discussion » To find an encounter name Mar 16, 2018 10:19 PM (Total replies: 14)

ai_force_active_by_unit (unit(list_get (players) 0)) true

Try that. Report back on your findings.

Halo CE General Discussion » BSP Portalling Mar 15, 2018 12:28 PM (Total replies: 28)

Quote: --- Original message by: EmmanuelCD
Import the stock mp BSPs since they have actual portals that work.

I think i'm doing something wrong

The MP BSPs have portals? I never even really bothered to look, I've spent most the time looking at SP maps or custom levels.

But yeah those are the same types of issues I've had. I recommend LESS portals, and using them to section parts of the level. The standard grid-terrain portals are actually pretty terrible, especially for any tall buildings. Portals should be behind the surface of a building, not outside it. Portals should not disect a road in half, a long line of sight requires less portals if you want it all to render. Otherwise the cluster 3-4 away will start culling.

So for that road, that road should be one single portal going down it's entire length. The building popping in and out could be fixed by moving the portal further left so that's it's behind the surface of the building.

If you have distant geometry in the background as decorations, cover them with a box of portal planes. As long as the player is looking towards that box they will all render. Look at how B30_Evolved's decorators were portalled out in the ocean for example, the towers and rock spires each have their own personal cluster.

The biggest thing to further help your scenario; Take your current grid portals, drop them so that the top verts is just a bit over the playable area of the map, and add a "roof" of portal material to connect the ceiling so that the top of the portals are inside the BSP and sealed.

Now when portals are rendered, the tops of the buildings will all be in their own cluster group which is viewable from anywhere. The playable area of the map is still sectioned off and details you can't see will be culled, but the tops of the buildings you can see from a mile away still render without being culled.

I've learned that you don't want to use terrain portals. They're not very good, exact portals work far better. What terrain portals are useful for seems to be sectioning off large parts of the map. Unfortunately, Halo isn't very good at this when we're talking a large open environment like the kind we're making. Halo was meant for grassy hills and indoor environments, I can see why they scrapped their E3 map. Would've never made it on Xbox hardware.

He seemed to know a bit about portalling BSPs. Alternatively, if you know anybody who is more knowledgeable about Terrain Portals than myself, I'm at the point where I'm willing to pay smallish amounts of money for somebody to properly portal one of my levels and explain why they did it that way.

Halo CE General Discussion » Lumoria Feedback Mar 15, 2018 12:43 AM (Total replies: 61)

Quote: --- Original message by: Masters1337
and this will be my last project

Halo CE General Discussion » BSP Portalling Mar 14, 2018 11:26 AM (Total replies: 28)

Does anybody have examples of BSPs with well made Terrain Portals?

Or does anybody know where to find Super Flanker?

Quote: --- Original message by: ScarFOx
I'm starting to get really tired of this 576 MB cache limit. Limiting all the ideas I have set in place and being restricted to only using a certain tag set or character just to save room. The massive amount of ideas that I have set for my mod can't limited but some dumb cache limit hard coded from the 90s. I may just quit the whole idea altogether.

If you need more than 550mb you're mismanaging your resources. Look into optimizing your bitmap and sound data, and removing extra LOD's in models if you have a plethora of them. What are you doing that uses all that space?

Halo CE General Discussion » How can I link 6 bsp into one in game? Mar 10, 2018 09:59 PM (Total replies: 3)

You COULD swap the BSP and then teleport the player to a flag placed inside the new BSP.

But, the proper way is to create level geometry in BOTH BSP sections that overlaps. Basically, create a tunnel that connects both ends, and copy it to both BSP sections. That way when you swap the BSP, the section the player is currently in is inside BOTH of the bsp sections. It appears seamless to the player that the level has loaded.

See the picture below?

I use tunnels to connect each individual BSP, and those same tunnels are cloned so that BSP 1 and BSP 2 both have the tunnel that connects them. Then, look at my response to your other thread to see how the switch works.

Halo CE General Discussion » How do I add teleteports with scrips in sp Mar 10, 2018 09:33 PM (Total replies: 4)

Add trigger volumes!

Place a trigger volume, click and drag the side of the cube to resize it. Drag it to a tunnel that connects the map, so that the player must walk through it.

Then name it bsp0,1

then make another just like the above, place it before the first trigger volume and name it

This will switch from BSP #0 to BSP #1 and back again if the player turns around.

Crude diagram;

You need to do it like that, so that if the player switches the BSP and immediately turns around to go back, it will switch back to the BSP they came from.

Edited by DeadHamster on Mar 10, 2018 at 09:39 PM

Time: Mon March 19, 2018 8:06 PM 234 ms.
A Halo Maps Website