A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: DeadHamster
About Contact
Last Post: Yesterday @ 12:46 PM
Interests:
Your Age:
What Games do you play:

Post Statistics
DeadHamster has contributed to 370 posts out of 464121 total posts (.08%) in 1,167 days (.32 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Tool or 3DS keeps breaking my map!! Yesterday @ 12:46 PM (Total replies: 7)

Some materials were originally set up to be RENDER-ONLY, which means they are not included for collision. Sometimes a piece of glass may be setup to have render only geometry behind it. Sometimes a material is marked Double-Sided, which will render geometry on both sides. There are special characters (!,$,#,%) that denote these. Check the HEK tutorial included in your CE folder to see more information about these.

The materials should not have errors. It's the geometry itself, or the materials need to be setup as mentioned above.

Don't give up!

If I can connect this;

You can connect what you're trying to!

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Tool or 3DS keeps breaking my map!! Aug 15, 2017 09:00 PM (Total replies: 7)

The WRL imports over your existing geometry. The .WRL file has the color coded triangles, import it with ALL checkboxes unselected. Once it's in, if there's a red/orange whatever color triangle, it represents a triangle on YOUR model that it should line up with 100%.

If you just import/export a stock BSP it'll crash because there are no sky-faces imported alongside it. Your model must be fully sealed by using the material +Sky. Almost no BSP importers will not include this geometry.

If the triangles in the WRL are not matching up to your model, be sure you're compiling/saving the same version and that you don't have two files or any issues with UAC on Windows. (Run as Admin)

So, when you import the WRL, and it places a red triangle overtop of your mesh, there is a triangle that makes up your mesh that has the error.

If your model is sloppy it'll be full of errors. Only some are Tool-breaking, many can be "ignored" which will lead to minor UVW/Collision errors that may not even be noticeable.

IF you haven't figured it out still, your next post here needs screenshots of your model with the WRL file already imported, so that we can see what we're dealing with.

Halo CE General Discussion » Cannot join most of the servers Aug 15, 2017 02:54 PM (Total replies: 14)

I'm gonna re-iterate what I said in the CMT thread; After 10 years in the community, on HaloMods, HaloMaps and ModHalo, the only issues I had were the ones I caused.

If you weren't acting like a twat before they threatened you, you certainly are acting like one now.

If you act like a twat, you should expect to be treated as one. If you're a mature adult who realizes that this is a hobby that won't turn into a career, and come here to help and share information without being a tool about it, you should expect people to respect you.

They were all going to dox you, you keep saying that again and again. Why don't you explain to us what it is that made them want to do that? Something tells me it didn't happen like this;

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Tool or 3DS keeps breaking my map!! Aug 15, 2017 01:43 PM (Total replies: 7)

Quote: --- Original message by: Halo Noob Modder117
Guys seriously when I try to convert my complete JMS into a BSP tool gives me a bunch of red errors. When I open my OBJ in 3DS and import the WRL dozens of random crap keeps appearing around my BSP that wasn't originally there and ALWAYS appears when I either create the JMS or compile in tool. What the hell is going on?

All I'm doing is combining some extra rooms in A10 but it seems once I export as JMS something breaks...

I know 3DS or Tool is doing it because I tested stock BSPs and they can never compile so something is going wrong in these final stages. I import the WRL and the same errors keep appearing so the JMS exorter might be creating these red error triangles or whatever they are.

The Red/Green/Orange/Pink triangles are representations of error in YOUR geometry. They are generated by TOOL when it comes across errors.

You have open edges, multiple edges, overlapping edges, or something similar. Your geometry is broken, those colored triangles show you WHERE it's broken. You still have to identify and fix the underlying problem.

Halo CE General Discussion » CMT RETURNS! New project and team details inside! Aug 15, 2017 12:10 PM (Total replies: 12084)

Quote: --- Original message by: MEGA_VKNG

more like modding any game is a death sentence. Why should I risk my own private life to have a useless hobby only to get harassed for it lmao
Edited by MEGA_VKNG on Aug 15, 2017 at 12:26 AM

Ive modded this game for tenyears and have never been threatened. Sounds like you acted like a twat and someone threw it back at you. In a few years when youre an adult you'll realize that none of this matters because you cant pay rent with your e-penis.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Twinkling Star Effect Aug 13, 2017 07:34 PM (Total replies: 1)

Quote: --- Original message by: Dabouss 15x
I am making a custom sky tag for Project Warhawk (See Project Warhawk Alpha Update Topic for more on the project.) and I was wondering how do you make the stars in the sky twinkle? (As an example the stars in the dusk and timberland sky tags) Any advice is much appreciated!

Layers and texture translations.

Basically, The stars are on bottom and overtop is a black bitmap with a cloud texture in the alpha. This texture is then translated or rotated; when the alpha sections overlap the stars they go out for that moment before popping back in after the alpha passes.

Halo CE General Discussion » CMT RETURNS! New project and team details inside! Aug 13, 2017 11:34 AM (Total replies: 12084)

lol @ all you liberal crybabies still upset your girl didn't win.

@SeL don't get too excited; the tagset is incredible complex to implement into a mod

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Bsp teleport switch not spawning player? Aug 13, 2017 11:23 AM (Total replies: 7)

The two BSP models should overlap, so that wherever your trigger volume goes exists on both BSP sections. Otherwise when you swap the BSP, your character is outside of it and may be getting deleted because of that.

You may be able to circumvent this if you teleport the player first, but I can't be sure.

Halo CE General Discussion » [BETA RELEASE] Refinery 0.7 Aug 5, 2017 05:16 PM (Total replies: 49)

CMT's BSP and Scenario tags will also required their CMT hacked version of OS_Sapien in order to open. You should be able to add their weapon tags without it.

Even with CMT's hacked HEK set, it still crashes from corrupted tags fairly often. The game engine can handle a lot of bad snips of code running that the editor can't control.
Edited by DeadHamster on Aug 5, 2017 at 05:16 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » CMT RETURNS! New project and team details inside! Aug 2, 2017 11:37 PM (Total replies: 12084)

Quote: --- Original message by: Masters1337
Quote: --- Original message by: Spartan314
Question: DLMs?

Outside of TSC:E and the exterior of Keyes, no. To much work for all our BSPs. Last I counted we have around 60-70 of them.

Original post is 2011.

Cant take a few more months to render dlm.

Halo CE General Discussion » Question about sound_looping tags Aug 1, 2017 10:48 AM (Total replies: 3)

Its kind of like a sound tag, except it loops.

Halo CE General Discussion » CMT RETURNS! New project and team details inside! Jul 30, 2017 01:17 PM (Total replies: 12084)

I'm still of the opinion that Halonimator is actually an extremely elaborate alt account of Masters.

Halo CE General Discussion » Today is Net Neutrality Day Jul 21, 2017 09:26 AM (Total replies: 35)

Guys we should let up on Duce, its not really cool to mock a child for their mental disabilities. You cant help something your born with and it's morally wrong to prey upon the weak for their deficiencies.

Dennis you should lock the thread. All meaningful discussion has been had, the thread has served its intended purpose and from here would just be continuous posts about a handicapped child trying to understand a world that doesnt love or want him.

Ill have to check ingame whenever i get set back up.

You could at least combine the programs that extract textures.

Should each tag class get its own version of mozarella?

Quote: --- Original message by: MosesofEgypt
Quote: --- Original message by: DeadHamster
Extract the bitmaps (use texource by Moses of Egypt)

Actually, he should use my Halo Bitmap Optimizer and Converter(HBOC) as Texource extracts uncompressed source images, and there aren't any for the elites. HBOC can extract the compressed textures to dds and tga.

Why is this 2 separate programs? It should all be rolled into mozarella, very cumbersome and creates a bloated program list with a handful of apps instead of one solid program.

Halo CE General Discussion » Operation Purgepoint (Formerly Project X) Jul 15, 2017 10:36 AM (Total replies: 63)

(Script startup SCRIPTNAME

(Sleep_until (= 1 (device_get_position SWITCH_NAME) 5)

(ai_place AI_NAME)
(device_set_position DOOR_NAME 1)
(I_dont_know_music_scripts_by_memory)

(sleep_until (= 0 (ai_living_count AI_NAME)) 5)

(sleep_until (game_all_quiet) 5)

(game_save_totally_unsafe)

)

Links are broken, and it's for halo PC not custom edition. However it explains everything to do with the bitmaps and editing them in detail, including the technical bits like image compression and alpha layers. Also explains ground maps and how they work. Very informative, but you'll need other bits which you should use Google for; like how to compile textures with tool, and how to set up shaders in reference to the bitmaps with guerilla.

If you are willing to learn there's a lot that can be done. But its not easy. Some of my favorite moments in modding have been failing for days and then finally figuring it out.

To create this elite, you will need to

Extract the bitmaps (use texource by Moses of Egypt)

Understand what youre looking at, imagine you painted a paper crane and then unfolded it. Thats what a bitmap is. A 3D structure that was unfolded flat.

Make the changes to appropriate parts. It appears you will edit the diffuse directly and not use a color change; the main armor black with the tips changed gold.

Compile bitmaps with tool

make copies of the elite biped, model and shaders. Rereference biped to use copied model, rereference model to use copied shaders, rereference shaders to use your modified bitmap.

Open biped tag with guerilla and delete all color change reflexives.

Open your AI tag and reference that biped.

Place AI with sapien and setup its firing positions and spawns points. Edit data for how many and if respawn.

If AI isnt respawn enabled, devise the script that will determine its spawning. Or just make it respawn enabled if its not a campaign map. If youre adding to a canpaign, you can most likely add it to an existing squad without needing to do more work.

Skinning Tutorial by Pepsi

In depth tutorial by an old total legend. Exactly what you asked for.

Modding is about the journey, not the destination. Google tutorials and learn, this community is to close to dead for anyone to do anything for you. But if youre a novice with photoshop, this elite wont be easy. Youre gonna be editing alpha maps of bitmap textures.

Halo CE General Discussion » Operation Purgepoint (Formerly Project X) Jul 14, 2017 10:37 PM (Total replies: 63)

Quote: --- Original message by: rcghalohell
First level almost complete. Trying to avoid hitting that 150mb mark lol. I just need to figure out how to script stuff for if an enemy detects the player, then trigger something, and a device thing... o have no idea how to use devices and give the missing strings names. Storm may be voicing cortez

(sleep_until (=4 (ai_status ENCOUNTER_NAME)) 5)

Or you can use =5 and it will sleep until the AI actually SEES an enemy, not just hears/magic aware of one.

(device_set_position DEVICE_NAME 0)
Closed
(device_set_position DEVICE_NAME 1)
Open

Time: Thu August 17, 2017 7:42 AM 406 ms.
A Halo Maps Website