A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: DeadHamster
About Contact
Last Post: Today @ 09:26 AM
Interests:
Your Age:
What Games do you play:

Post Statistics
DeadHamster has contributed to 358 posts out of 463673 total posts (.08%) in 1,140 days (.31 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE General Discussion » Today is Net Neutrality Day Today @ 09:26 AM (Total replies: 33)

Guys we should let up on Duce, its not really cool to mock a child for their mental disabilities. You cant help something your born with and it's morally wrong to prey upon the weak for their deficiencies.

Dennis you should lock the thread. All meaningful discussion has been had, the thread has served its intended purpose and from here would just be continuous posts about a handicapped child trying to understand a world that doesnt love or want him.

Ill have to check ingame whenever i get set back up.

You could at least combine the programs that extract textures.

Should each tag class get its own version of mozarella?

Quote: --- Original message by: MosesofEgypt
Quote: --- Original message by: DeadHamster
Extract the bitmaps (use texource by Moses of Egypt)

Actually, he should use my Halo Bitmap Optimizer and Converter(HBOC) as Texource extracts uncompressed source images, and there aren't any for the elites. HBOC can extract the compressed textures to dds and tga.

Why is this 2 separate programs? It should all be rolled into mozarella, very cumbersome and creates a bloated program list with a handful of apps instead of one solid program.

Halo CE General Discussion » Operation Purgepoint (Formerly Project X) Jul 15, 2017 10:36 AM (Total replies: 45)

(Script startup SCRIPTNAME

(Sleep_until (= 1 (device_get_position SWITCH_NAME) 5)

(ai_place AI_NAME)
(device_set_position DOOR_NAME 1)
(I_dont_know_music_scripts_by_memory)

(sleep_until (= 0 (ai_living_count AI_NAME)) 5)

(sleep_until (game_all_quiet) 5)

(game_save_totally_unsafe)

)

Links are broken, and it's for halo PC not custom edition. However it explains everything to do with the bitmaps and editing them in detail, including the technical bits like image compression and alpha layers. Also explains ground maps and how they work. Very informative, but you'll need other bits which you should use Google for; like how to compile textures with tool, and how to set up shaders in reference to the bitmaps with guerilla.

If you are willing to learn there's a lot that can be done. But its not easy. Some of my favorite moments in modding have been failing for days and then finally figuring it out.

To create this elite, you will need to

Extract the bitmaps (use texource by Moses of Egypt)

Understand what youre looking at, imagine you painted a paper crane and then unfolded it. Thats what a bitmap is. A 3D structure that was unfolded flat.

Make the changes to appropriate parts. It appears you will edit the diffuse directly and not use a color change; the main armor black with the tips changed gold.

Compile bitmaps with tool

make copies of the elite biped, model and shaders. Rereference biped to use copied model, rereference model to use copied shaders, rereference shaders to use your modified bitmap.

Open biped tag with guerilla and delete all color change reflexives.

Open your AI tag and reference that biped.

Place AI with sapien and setup its firing positions and spawns points. Edit data for how many and if respawn.

If AI isnt respawn enabled, devise the script that will determine its spawning. Or just make it respawn enabled if its not a campaign map. If youre adding to a canpaign, you can most likely add it to an existing squad without needing to do more work.

Skinning Tutorial by Pepsi

In depth tutorial by an old total legend. Exactly what you asked for.

Modding is about the journey, not the destination. Google tutorials and learn, this community is to close to dead for anyone to do anything for you. But if youre a novice with photoshop, this elite wont be easy. Youre gonna be editing alpha maps of bitmap textures.

Halo CE General Discussion » Operation Purgepoint (Formerly Project X) Jul 14, 2017 10:37 PM (Total replies: 45)

Quote: --- Original message by: rcghalohell
First level almost complete. Trying to avoid hitting that 150mb mark lol. I just need to figure out how to script stuff for if an enemy detects the player, then trigger something, and a device thing... o have no idea how to use devices and give the missing strings names. Storm may be voicing cortez

(sleep_until (=4 (ai_status ENCOUNTER_NAME)) 5)

Or you can use =5 and it will sleep until the AI actually SEES an enemy, not just hears/magic aware of one.

(device_set_position DEVICE_NAME 0)
Closed
(device_set_position DEVICE_NAME 1)
Open

Halo CE General Discussion » [RELEASE]: New Mombasa Beta Jul 14, 2017 06:33 PM (Total replies: 110)

Or if you can get somebody to make core_save_name and core_load_name work, that'd be better.

Halo CE General Discussion » Today is Net Neutrality Day Jul 14, 2017 10:32 AM (Total replies: 33)

Quote: --- Original message by: il Duce Primo

I don't see how making Netflix cheaper is for the greater good. That's a luxury service and so are services provided by big tech companies who have the most to lose. Those tech companies have gotten away with subsidized costs at the detriment of many other businesses.

You already have a deal with an ISP and most likely you would not have to negotiate with each ISP, instead that would be on the ISPs to negotiate among themselves.
Edited by il Duce Primo on Jul 14, 2017 at 08:43 AM

So I see my first solution was correct, you literally have no idea what net neutrality is.

A word of advice; better to keep your mouth shut and be assumed a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Or, to put it simply; You never go full retard. You went full retard.

You can extract bitmaps using Texource for CE tags, or from a PC mapfile using Eschaton.

The bitmap you want is located in characters\elite\elite.bitmap

The elite bitmap is monochrome, a tag function overlays a color mask that changes their appearance ingame depending on their rank. This is done via the Actor Variant and Biped tags, in this case. You can duplicate this effect in Photoshop if you are exporting to another platform, simply add a colormask layer in Photoshop, adjust hue satuation and levels then resave the bitmap.

Halo CE General Discussion » Today is Net Neutrality Day Jul 13, 2017 11:10 AM (Total replies: 33)

Quote: --- Original message by: il Duce Primo

Quote: --- Original message by: sparky
https://netneutrality.internetassociation.org/action/
Do you use the Internet? Well, the Internet is in mortal peril. If you are a US Citizen, contact the FCC and/or your local senator to help save it or else creativity and free speech will become history.

Why do i have to even pay my phone bill with this rational? Shouldn't that also be neutral?
Edited by il Duce Primo on Jul 13, 2017 at 07:41 AM

This post manifests one of two options;

You have literally no idea what net neutrality is.

Or

You have literally no idea what a metaphor is.

Outside of the warthogs shell casings, there was no obvious difference. During gameplay I wouldn't see any difference at all, the only reason I could see it with the shell casings is because the video is playing at half speed.

Even at half speed, I saw no difference between the two images. Guess my human eyes just aren't up to par.

Halo CE General Discussion » [RELEASE]: New Mombasa Beta Jul 10, 2017 06:39 PM (Total replies: 110)

So as you guys can see progress on this mod stopped. I'm making a transition in housing where I'm moving permanently to Las Vegas. During this transition, I don't have any residence where I can setup a computer. I will be bringing the PC to Vegas with me and resuming work from there, but that is not for at least another 6-7 months.

Until then, you should not expect any updates or new content. I do, however, expect to have this entire project finished and released by July 9th, 2018.

I want to use Core Saving to prevent save conflicts with SPV3 or other SP projects. I'm basing the map off of long term gameplay, adding RPG elements with a safehouse and vault to store weapons or purchase perks/ammo/vehicles. I want a UNSC force and local militia that use separate weapons, and will animate all the AI drops instead of relying on flying phantoms. There will be optional sidequests that will unlock vehicle drops for areas and award some form of ingame currency to purchase the equipment mentioned above.

But until I have a place to sleep at night, these things have to be sidelined. Once I'm settled in the hot sun of the desert I can conclude Fall of Mombasa. Hopefully HM is still online by Summer 2018. Sorry it can't be sooner.

Halo CE General Discussion » [Release] Inferno 0.1 (demo) Jul 8, 2017 05:16 AM (Total replies: 8)

Between kornman00 and mozzarella i dont really see a need for a Nother tag editor. The only things we can't currently at it, the things that have no effect on the engine so it would seem.

Investigate 3d environments and make me a new sapien however...

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo 2 Tagset Redux Jul 5, 2017 11:09 PM (Total replies: 24)

Quote: --- Original message by: Bungie LLC

I don't really trust those h2 animations that have been floating around, because all I know about them is that they've been in the possession of some of the killer5000-type posters around here, and that they have a reputation for being really rough around the edges, or outright broken. Unless, of course, you got them from the source, which is Mootjuh or Kirby themselves.

But, if you could get them cleaned up and in seamless working order for CE, I'd be very interested in using them. I'll download the set and have a look at them, I suppose.

EDIT: also, how do you deal with the bump maps in h2? aren't they, like, monochrome by default? how do you get them into a more "contemporary" normal/bump map format?
Edited by Bungie LLC on Jul 5, 2017 at 10:45 PM

IIRC, monochrome bumps are converted by Tool into normal maps if the tag is setup properly.

Quote: --- Original message by: MatthewDratt

Uh, thanks tool

http://mattdratt.com/images/thankstool2.jpg
Edited by MatthewDratt on Jul 4, 2017 at 02:26 AM

Are you using Child Scenarios?

I've never had that error popup before and I make good use of Child Scenarios and Object Names in Mombasa. Curious why it's rejecting your setup.

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo 2 Tagset Redux Jul 3, 2017 09:15 AM (Total replies: 24)

I really really like Halo 2.

Quote: --- Original message by: MEGA_VKNG

correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that more of the role that gloss would take, not specular? (in more general terms, not just CE)
Edited by MEGA_VKNG on Jul 2, 2017 at 04:23 PM

"A specular highlight is the bright spot of light that appears on shiny objects when illuminated (for example, see image at right). Specular highlights are important in 3D computer graphics, as they provide a strong visual cue for the shape of an object and its location with respect to light sources in the scene."

Specular is the gloss, it's that white highlight that appears when light bounces off an object. The width of the white highlight and how intense it is, that's what the values control. Hence the above, shiny things that highlight is sharp and narrow, whereas dull things have a wider and less intense highlight.

From what I understand, one value controls how powerful the lighting effect is, whereas the other controls the width of the lighting reflection.

IE, one controls how bright the light is on the object, the other controls how big the glare is. So shiny objects should be bright and narrow, whereas dull objects should be dark and wide.

Time: Fri July 21, 2017 6:45 PM 219 ms.
A Halo Maps Website