A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: 002
About Contact
Last Post: Aug 24, 2017 06:06 PM
Interests:
Your Age: Yes
What Games do you play: Halo is not a game, it is real life, so it should be treated as such.

Post Statistics
002 has contributed to 52 posts out of 464825 total posts (.01%) in 1,050 days (.05 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:

Quote: --- Original message by: lolslayer
I find 30 fps completely playable, but 60 FPS just feels great to play with

Sure, 30 FPS is playable, and many people are fine with settling for it if their hardware cannot handle a higher frame rate even at lower settings.

I prefer 60 due to higher responsiveness and the overall better gameplay experience, and I'd even play the game at the lowest settings if my PC couldn't handle the game at 60 FPS just to squeeze as much FPS as I could.

Quote: --- Original message by: OrangeJuice
I tend to just lock most new games at 24fps or 30 because they usually have item-for-item-for-object motionblur

I don't know what an item-for-item-for-object is, but I turn off motion blur whenever I see the option to do so. For me, it looks bad regardless of what frame rate the game is running at, and I prefer the framerate uncapped and running at whatever it runs at unless the game engine craps out (e.g. Skyrim). I suppose this is person-to-person, though.

Quote: --- Original message by: OrangeJuice
I dislike the soap opera effect that comes from trying to smooth out lower-framerates.

If you're talking about an actually low frame rate, you're best off playing at a low native frame rate than at a higher fake, processed frame rate, or you'd basically kill whatever responsiveness you had.

If you're talking about a low tick rate like Halo's 30 ticks per second being played back at higher framerates, maybe? I'm not sure where you'd experience this, but I suppose this is another person-to-person thing. Personally, I find it easier to track enemies when I can clearly see where they're moving.

Quote: --- Original message by: sparky
So does this change the game clock speed to 1/60th of a second also, or is it merely interpolating animations, as in, anti-aliasing them so that it is still at 30 frames per second but with divided frames?

The game and physics are still 30 ticks per second. It'd be awesome if I could make it 60, and at one point I did try this, but the result was that the netcode broke down when you'd exceed 34 ticks per second, and it'd take way too much work to remake the animations in 60 FPS properly as well as change physics and stuff to work properly in 60 FPS.

It merely takes the position and rotation of each model node and positions them based on how much time has passed since the previous tick. The animations themselves are unaffected. This requires less work and it scales up to any frame rate.

Edited by 002 on Aug 18, 2017 at 04:58 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Cannot join most of the servers Aug 15, 2017 02:16 PM (Total replies: 14)

Quote: --- Original message by: MEGA_VKNG

Am I a troll or is Halo full of retards who threaten each other over the stupidest things ever? Maybe I wouldn't be saying Halo is dead if this community didn't focus on trying to remove everyone from it. Of course, anyone who's modded this game for more than 4-5 or even 10 years has too big of an ego to care that users are up and leaving because of how toxic and disgusting this community is.
Edited by MEGA_VKNG on Aug 15, 2017 at 12:07 AM

If you think Halo is dead, why do you waste your time here? Because you're a troll.

As for if Halo is full of "retards who threaten each other over the stupidest things ever", that's only the worst of this game's community, and this is not an aspect unique to Halo. Most people who play Halo just play Halo or mod Halo, not troll online websites where people actually help each other.

So yeah, I'd say you're a troll. Case closed.

Edited by 002 on Aug 15, 2017 at 02:20 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Cannot join most of the servers Aug 14, 2017 11:18 PM (Total replies: 14)

Quote: --- Original message by: MEGA_VKNG
Maybe it's a message to stop playing halo.

Take your depression elsewhere and let us enjoy what we want to enjoy, k thx
Edited by lolslayer on Aug 14, 2017 at 07:03 PM

If it wasn't obvious, that's a troll. Someone who isn't a troll wouldn't spend their time on a Halo modding site telling people that Halo is dead or that people should stop playing it. If you want to get rid of trolls, you should stop reacting to them.

One current issue with chimera_interpolate is that it's pretty CPU intensive, so the level of interpolation will be granular on a scale of 0 to 9. You can also specify using either "off", "low", "medium", "high", and "ultra" as well.

If you want an idea of how much of a performance hit each setting does, these values were recorded using FRAPS in The Silent Cartographer's opening cinematic:

If you have a potato CPU from before Windows 7 was released, you'll likely be sticking to low or medium. Otherwise, even the Haswell Pentium G3250 should be able to use 8 or 9 without issue. I'll be trying to optimize it even further, but I can't give any promises.

Quote: --- Original message by: Spartan314
Is chimera_interpolation only present in build 33?

There is a very early version of it, yes. It should work, but it might make maps like h3 foundry not work quite right. On stock maps, it should still be an improvement.

edit (August 16): I released Chimera build 38. This has first person interpolation (finally). Get it at https://opencarnage.net/index.php?/topic/6916-chimera-build-38/

Edited by 002 on Aug 16, 2017 at 10:29 PM

Quote: --- Original message by: Leo74800

I found a bug on the map a10 with Chimera build 33 (alpha 34)

The bug appears when chimera_block_lod is set to 1

http://zupimages.net/up/17/30/frdg.png

http://zupimages.net/up/17/30/cghf.png

http://zupimages.net/up/17/30/qnph.png

http://zupimages.net/up/17/30/bkzs.png
Edited by Leo74800 on Jul 23, 2017 at 09:39 PM

That appears to be due to the higher LOD having the cyborg armor (thus you see your armor when you're inside of the thing). That'll be a little hard to fix, but I'll see if I can look into it. Maybe I can check the cutoff values.

edit: It shouldn't do it in further revisions.

Edited by 002 on Jul 25, 2017 at 04:45 AM

I gave HeyPiRon the most recent alpha build that I had distributed and it worked.

Chimera's still pretty early in development, so these reports are helpful.

Quote: --- Original message by: Bungie LLC
Something I'd like to point out that I've noticed after using this for over a week: antenna tags, like those on the back of the warthog, seem to behave strangely. When viewed while in motion, when antennas animate, it's as if they've had a stereoscopic effect applied over them. They are very distorted and behave strangely.

Antenna and other widgets are not interpolated currently. I'm not sure when or even if they will be, but I'll do my best to see if I can.
Edited by 002 on Jul 23, 2017 at 04:28 PM

Quote: --- Original message by: Halonimator
Some dead bodies disappear in sp mode, and decals change of size when you enter new bsps.

What build are you using? Build 33 is pretty unstable and most problems with it have been fixed. I haven't released an updated build yet as playtesting and polishing up are being done.

Quote: --- Original message by: DeadHamster
Outside of the warthogs shell casings, there was no obvious difference. During gameplay I wouldn't see any difference at all, the only reason I could see it with the shell casings is because the video is playing at half speed.

Even at half speed, I saw no difference between the two images. Guess my human eyes just aren't up to par.

Just to verify that I can tell a difference, I made a video showing me being able to consistently tell the difference between the four different settings of Chimera's interpolation mod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckKO50kuh94

That said, I don't doubt you. Also, this is a silly video without any real use or anything. If you can't tell the difference between 30 frames per second and 60 or you aren't used to it to be able to tell how annoying things look when you run Halo above 30 FPS, then sure, you probably wouldn't benefit from this. To me, the difference is very distinct - without it, objects appear to be moving 30 times per second rather than moving fluidly and consistently. It looks bad and it plays bad as a result, and were it not for the better camera responsiveness, I'd just play the game at 30 FPS rather than unlocked. With it, movement is consistent and looks like actual movement.

Edited by 002 on Jul 18, 2017 at 06:19 AM

Quote: --- Original message by: DeadHamster
Outside of the warthogs shell casings, there was no obvious difference. During gameplay I wouldn't see any difference at all, the only reason I could see it with the shell casings is because the video is playing at half speed.

Even at half speed, I saw no difference between the two images. Guess my human eyes just aren't up to par.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/ea/eb/56/eaeb56efc71b0e013d2754712508ec0c.jpg

I suppose if you're not used to playing games at 60 FPS, you probably wouldn't be able to spot the difference, which then this particular feature isn't for you, then. Personally I find the juttery 30 FPS movement to be an atrocious eyesore, and so have many others, and that is why this feature exists.

Quote: --- Original message by: Bungie LLC
Right, because all of this works on the basis that all the things moving in the actual game scene are [obj]ect tag classes, and if I'm understanding this correctly, chimera's interpolation feature works by updating an object's position more frequently in between the game's tickrate.

Considering he does figure out how first person elements are implemented in the game runtime, 002 would probably have to create a whole new system solely for FP's interpolation since it probably doesn't deal with [obj]s.

Yeah, first person stuff appears to be a pretty tough nut to crack. I'd probably be in over my head if I tried that, not that I'm not already in over my head.

It's just that it has some problems and it isn't really smooth because of the lack of velocity syncing. 002 made a system to sync velocity, but he never released it (Because he thought he never got enough praise for his other releases so he wouldn't release it -.-)

I'd say maybe most of the stuff I release doesn't get very much praise, which really doesn't really bother me. I just enjoy seeing to what extent I can manipulate Halo. The problem is that it's probably just not worth it for me or for anyone, really.

First of all, I don't wait on you or anyone in this community, and you shouldn't have to feel like that, either. People like Btcc22 and sehe are far more capable than me at hacking Halo PC, at least the Windows version, because they have far more experience in doing so. I have a rather limited knowledge on the game, the engine, how it works, etc. The way I synced velocity was quickly thrown together and is pretty trashy, and the way I'd want it if I wanted to release it would require knowing how to do a lot more than what I already know. People need to stop overestimating me.

Second, no, I don't get anything out of this. I don't have a reason to do half the stuff I do. I mainly just do cool things and then I move on, and that's what makes me happy. There are numerous proof of concepts out there for stuff like syncing velocity and syncing AI, and I've left my own proof of concepts on the table as well for anyone to be inspired.

Third, few people would actually see a significant benefit from this. If this would fix anything, it only fixes one or two issues out of numerous, more important issues that should be focused on, instead.

tl;dr I'm not the person you should be asking for this stuff. Not only is it not worth my time, but it isn't worth anyone else's time, either.

Edited by 002 on Dec 30, 2016 at 06:27 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » What's the particle limit? Oct 27, 2016 01:15 PM (Total replies: 4)

Quote: --- Original message by: notrododo93
Quote: --- Original message by: Tucker933

The limit was raised by 50% with HAC2, and couldn't get any higher due to inherent limitations of the engine, which leads me to believe OS has a very similar bump.

If I remember correctly, it was from 1000 to 1500.
Edited by Tucker933 on Oct 24, 2016 at 06:33 PM

Are you sure about that? 1000 is a pretty high number

Stock Halo's particle table has a hard limit of 1024, if this is what you mean.

This sounds like a high number, but it can add up very, very quickly even on stock Halo if you have 10 or more players, as this includes offscreen particles, as well.

Halo CE General Discussion » [Survey] Where are you? Mar 15, 2016 01:55 AM (Total replies: 104)

Deimos, Mārtius

Edited by 002 on Mar 15, 2016 at 02:05 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » sapp query system Feb 28, 2016 05:52 PM (Total replies: 2)

It's metadata that is attached to query packets, which can be read from a server query tool. This is the same data that servers report for things like the server name, players, currently running map, scores, etc. Simply send a UDP packet "\query" to the server, and it will respond with all of your querying variables.

Edited by 002 on Feb 28, 2016 at 05:56 PM

Quote: --- Original message by: Ubermaniac

Never have 2 antivirus programs. They F&&& up the comp. I would recommend to get rid of AVG, it is a system hog. Maybe get rid of both and go with Avast or Hitman Pro

Malwarebytes is not antivirus, but antimalware, and it's actually very common to see one antimalware installed alongside one antivirus for additional protection. According to Malwarebytes, their software has been tested alongside popular antivirus software such as Avast!. I have personally never had any issues having both antivirus and antimalware running unless either the antimalware or antivirus was a pile of crap, such as the pre-installed garbage that typically comes with prebuilt computers from large vendors such as HP and Dell (which is one reason why I never go near those horrible monstrosities).

Edited by 002 on Feb 28, 2016 at 05:46 PM

Quote: --- Original message by: Zet
Do you have an Intel graphics chip? My laptop doesn't go beyond 720p in the settings despite my HD 5500 being over 10 years newer than CE and perfectly capable of running at 1080p. Blame Intel.

My laptop can run Halo CE at 1080p (when plugged into a 1080p monitor) and has Intel HD 4000 graphics (it's an older Macbook Air). It couldn't before being updated to 1.10 or without installing HAC2, however, and would have one less setting as the maximum resolution (768p).

My desktop computer can't run Halo CE 1.09 at 1080p, and it has Intel graphics disabled (you can't even see it listed in device manager), though it can run 1.10 at 1080p, or if HAC2 is installed.

I don't think it's Intel's fault.

Edited by 002 on Feb 23, 2016 at 11:40 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Smoke Screen Map Protector Jan 25, 2016 09:58 AM (Total replies: 120)

I only made the program as a joke. I actually didn't expect the topic would end up quite like this lol

Halo CE General Discussion » Smoke Screen Map Protector Jan 22, 2016 10:38 PM (Total replies: 120)

Quote: --- Original message by: MosesofEgypt
Oh, i have no intention of repairing the maps, only ripping the tags. If I were to rebuild the tag index array, it'd be for the purpose of ripping, and by that point the index array would already be a python object. My point in even writing this ripper tool is that it'd allow me to convert maps over to xbox. That was my original goal when writing this library. I intend to use an extensible md5 hash cache system to allow tags to be identified by their content. I've already tested it on the few tag types that I have implemented and it worked pretty well.

Cool! I rarely get to see any Halo tools in a non-C language like Python. Everyone's doing C++ and stuff. It might be "better" but I like to have a bit of fun.

Like I said, if you have any questions for anything to do with cache files, I may possibly be able to answer it, or you could take a look at my source code for things like headers and stuff if that helps. I know a lot about how cache files are arranged and how they can be arranged. There are a bunch of cool things that can be done with tags, maps, and other cool stuff.

For example, I could fragment a tag's data, spreading tag data around in the map. You'll still be able to edit them in HMT or Eschaton, so you can still "learn" from the tag, but you can't use Halo PC tools like Eschaton to rip the assets (I think HEK+ might work with it though). I demonstrated this a while ago but never released the tool because I originally thought it required a lot of mapping out, though I recently came up with an algorithm that could do this without mapping it out. It'll definitely be a fun challenge for the small Mac community putting the map back together without HEK+!

It's funny that you want to make eternal lightning obsolete, because I wrote this last year and I named it after EL:
http://textuploader.com/x3d5

Haha. Nice!

Edited by 002 on Jan 22, 2016 at 10:42 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Smoke Screen Map Protector Jan 22, 2016 10:07 PM (Total replies: 120)

I'm not yet sure how you set it up to redirect the map to look for the tag index at the end of the file, even though the tag index pointer points to that corrupted index. I've only spent a couple hours looking it over, but I'm sure I can write a "Repair tag index" routine into my ripper.

As I've said before, anyone desperate enough could break into a protected map, and I personally don't care if someone's protected map gets trounced as a result. As long as Halo can load the map, the data is there. The new Deathstar API that I'm working on will even repair the original tag references, as it uses mapped-out references.

That said, you'll have to do better than that, as I could also put something like tag data in there to make it so if you replace the tag index there, you also delete the tag data you wanted to rip. I once wrote a map rebuilder that, due to a bug, inadvertently put the tag index after the tag names, but still produced working maps. This puzzled me when my maps wouldn't work in Eschaton, but looked fine in a hex editor and my own map parser.

The pointer is that 0x40440028, which is at the very beginning of the meta data (loaded at 0x40440000 which is what you subtract from every pointer + the meta offset to get the offset). You can also change which tag is the scenario tag, as the tag ID for the scenario tag is referenced in the field after that. Cache files can be incredibly modular if you want them to. :D

Here's some of my research if it helps you out (annotated with additional comments):
https://github.com/Halogen002/Proton-Map-Rebuilder/blob/master/HaloData.h#L98
struct HaloCacheFileTagDataHeader {
uint32_t tagArrayAddress; // Pointer to tag array (typically 0x40440028)
HaloTagID principalScenarioTag; // Tag ID of the scenario tag.
uint32_t randomNumber; // This is literally a random number.
uint32_t tagCount; // Number of tags, though Halo can only track 65536 tags.
uint32_t partCountA; // Model stuff!
uint32_t modelDataOffset; // Address to model stuff.
uint32_t partCountB; // Equals partCountA usually.
uint32_t vertexSize; // Offset to indices.
uint32_t modelSize; // Total model size.
uint32_t tags = INDEX_TAGS; // "tags"
};

All I really care about is just making Eternal Lightning obsolete, anyway. I have no intentions on making maps truly invincible, and I'm happy to share any information you need on map files (that I know of). I don't keep any secrets at all with my work.

Quote: --- Original message by: t3h m00kz
Any asset that goes into the engine belongs to Microsoft

They now own an asset that has been protected for them, then? :D
Edited by 002 on Jan 22, 2016 at 10:25 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Smoke Screen Map Protector Jan 21, 2016 03:55 PM (Total replies: 120)

This map protector will protect a map and make it unable to be deprotected by Eternal Lightning. It also allows maps to be protected and deprotected with a password, which may be useful for private betas where multiple authors are involved.

Note that it requires Command Prompt. If you don't like Command Prompt or if you can't handle the thought of using Command Prompt, then don't use this tool.

Demonstration (Note: I say a couple naughty words, so watch at your own discretion): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWI3xirSKUY

Download (1.0 alpha 1):
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30298900/Smoke%20Screen.zip

Note: This may not be the final version and I've only tested it on a few modded maps, CE maps, and stock maps on both Halo PC and CE. Remember to back up a map before protecting it.

Time: Tue December 12, 2017 8:56 AM 297 ms.
A Halo Maps Website