A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: JadeRifter
About Contact
Last Post: Apr 15, 2017 08:05 AM
Website: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvVw7nq06eOUicWPeghNGHw
Interests: Art, Design, Programming
Your Age:
What Games do you play:
I'm a real light sleeper, Childs.

Post Statistics
JadeRifter has contributed to 74 posts out of 462328 total posts (.02%) in 493 days (.15 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE Technical / Map Design » [HELP] Look at creators map scenarios Apr 15, 2017 08:05 AM (Total replies: 3)

Quote: --- Original message by: Sod
How do I recursively extract the .scenario?
I know that I drag all the files into the queue and hit start, but I assume there's a different way that I'm meant to be doing it.

Don't bother dragging all the files, navigate to the .scenario, right click "extract to" and set your tags directory, check "recursive" and "use original folder names".

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » [HELP] Look at creators map scenarios Apr 15, 2017 05:35 AM (Total replies: 3)

Quote: --- Original message by: Sod
(I didn't really know what to name this thread)

Is there a way to look at how someone has set up their map in Sapien?

By that I mean, is there a way to extract the .scenario from someone else's map file and see what they would see in Sapien whilst editing their .scenario file.

Just curious at seeing how others set up AI squads and stuff in Sapien, just want to see examples and other stuff.

(this might be worded terribly, I don't know much about HCE modding).

Hek+ will extract the tags and scenario you need to edit the map. You need to recursively extract the .scenario. The program also needs to be ran in compatibility mode for old windows or it will glitch out and crash.
http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=1542

Halo CE General Discussion » Marine Variant Ideas Apr 14, 2017 08:53 AM (Total replies: 19)

It actually wasn't that difficult, in most ways at least. Like I couldn't just walk up to a shotgun marine and try to beat him down, obviously. I did this on my crappy laptop so that made it slightly more difficult. The map has basic ai setup with firing positions, etc. I threw it together quickly so it's not very good, but it certainly could be. Also none of them were equipped for range so I could just slaughter them from a distance. I did have fun though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0dA_iwQ_y4

Edit: Screw this map, someone made a bloodgulch mod that had ai players, and that was fun.
Edit2: The marines would need some tag editing. If you gave them spartans then it would be similar to fighting the covenant with their elites. Maybe some of the marines could use a helmet that prevents them from being one-shotted, and they could also use covenant weapons on occasion.
Edited by JadeRifter on Apr 14, 2017 at 10:11 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Marine Variant Ideas Apr 14, 2017 08:18 AM (Total replies: 19)

They both focus on your ability to memorize patterns, and how good your combat skill is. SP makes combat less difficult because you can memorize patterns better than you could in multiplayer, players are more difficult and unpredictable to fight against than ai. In both scenarios the player will be using the map and their raw combat skill above all, just in different ways.

I tested this out and threw together a map where I was fighting marines, the result was similar to the way I fight covenant in that I use the map and my skill to eliminate them. It was actually kind of fun.

Like I said, some variety would be nice now and then, I've fought the default enemies countless times now. I'm not ready to criticize a potentially fun idea that hasn't even been executed yet.

Halo CE General Discussion » Marine Variant Ideas Apr 14, 2017 05:24 AM (Total replies: 19)

Quote: --- Original message by: Masters1337

Quote: --- Original message by: theshadow0222

From a plot perspective, yes, but how so from a gameplay perspective? Other than it not being done before and therefore being poorly set up for in any halo game ever.
Edited by theshadow0222 on Apr 12, 2017 at 06:34 PM

It's really simple. You can see and dodge covenant weapons. You can't against weapons that are nearly instantaneous. Ask yourself if you've ever had a good fight against a flood using human weapons, or covenant using carbines and beam rifles. Or even worse the prometheans in H5 who use human weapons.

Sure you could edit it so that the humans use weapons that fire some modified projectile that changes into a standard gun when they die... but that would be so silly and in the end you'd just have covenant weapons being held by less interesting enemies.

Quote: --- Original message by: Banshee64
Quote: --- Original message by: Masters1337
Your first mistake is planning on fighting humans. It goes against all of halos design principals
and putting brutes everywhere is a good halo design principal

Tell me more! Like really. What do you think we could do to improve the brutes.
Edited by Masters1337 on Apr 13, 2017 at 10:22 PM

That doesn't make a lick of sense. I'm fighting against people using human weapons all of the time in multiplayer. If op wants to make a map where you fight humans, I say go for it. I've only fought the covenant a bajillion times.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Sapien Randomly Freezing/Not Resonding Apr 11, 2017 02:25 PM (Total replies: 4)

Quote: --- Original message by: SBB_Michelle
Your scenario is likely screwed, this usually happens when you have touched the scenario with open sauce and then try to load it in default sapien.

I don't suggest using any compatibility mode or cpu affinity settings as that can worsen how it works.

The scenario doesn't load at all for me if I do that. It might be worth trying OS_Sapien though, might be an issue with OS tags.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Sapien Randomly Freezing/Not Resonding Apr 11, 2017 02:03 PM (Total replies: 4)

I'm using windows 10 and running sapien as admin, I didn't need to mess with compatibility mode. Does the program crash when this happens? The debug might spit something out useful for us to see.

Quote: --- Original message by: not m00kz
CE's lack of death screams is a code (compiled binaries) defect, not a content (tags) defect. Fixing code defects in CE is a far more involved process.

I have, however, heard there is some clever tag-work hackitry that can be done to implement death screams.

In the animation tag, you could add another sound reference for the death scream, and replace all of the h-kill and s-kill sound references. This would get rid of the subtle thud sound when you hit the ground, but I'm pretty sure that already plays when your stuff hits the floor with you.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Creating/Editing new actor variant tags Apr 11, 2017 06:03 AM (Total replies: 7)

I think you may need the opensauce hek to work with these tags. I got similar errors from using default hek with OS tags.

Halo CE General Discussion » about inaccurate recorded animations Apr 7, 2017 02:59 PM (Total replies: 1)

I've seen people run into this problem before, and now I've had the chance to experience it. I don't remember a solution being posted, but I figured out why some of my animations came out inaccurate. It was because the game was running higher than 30fps while I was recording them, locking the game to 30fps in the menu fixed my issue, and now everything seems dead accurate.

Halo CE General Discussion » Syncing AI components. Mar 25, 2017 02:32 PM (Total replies: 27)

Quote: --- Original message by: game user10
Oh that's cool. I remember a few years ago I'd have a pelican drop the player off (though working with recorded animations was an absolute pain).

Maybe I can do that again. There's a better version of the animation recorder thing, right?

I used the one on halomaps, don't know if a newer one exists. Had to install another halo ce in a separate directory and update it to 1.09 for the recorder to work, but it seems easy enough to use.

This made me think about syncable "devices" that are actually vehicles.

Halo CE General Discussion » Syncing AI components. Mar 24, 2017 03:35 PM (Total replies: 27)

I've been using recorded animations now for vehicles like the pelican, and they seem to work perfectly over a network. Maybe you could give ai to the turrets like in the covenant dropship, and have recorded animations handle the rest.

I could see use for this in maps, like you could summon a pelican to fly through the map and shoot at players. You could summon a vehicle to drop a bomb on the enemy base.

Edit: I tried it out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMT_WBER0e0
Edited by JadeRifter on Mar 24, 2017 at 06:05 PM

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » ai place after effect? Feb 26, 2017 10:32 PM (Total replies: 4)

Quote: --- Original message by: thellt
id like to place an ai on a map but after an effect tag is called. how can I do this thru scripting?

Not sure how to do this through scripts, but the effect tag has an event tab, and under that is a part tab where you can set up to have a biped spawn. This wouldn't have ai though, I'll see if I can find something out.
Edited by JadeRifter on Feb 26, 2017 at 10:33 PM

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Sapien Crahes Instantly Feb 25, 2017 12:01 PM (Total replies: 4)

This tag "tags\levels\test\timberland\timberland.bitmap" is corrupt. I'd recommend getting a new copy of your tagset from here http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=6690

Also make sure Halo is looking in its root directory for tags. If Halo is installed to the program files folder, then you might need to run the tools as administrator.

Quote: --- Original message by: Keifre
Does anyone know how to make AI spawn only once in Sapien? Like if I shot a grunt and it did not respawn.

I forget how to do that normally, but you can spawn named bipeds and have scripts handle it. Like you could spawn a grunt biped, name it something like Grunt1, and then attach it to an encounter using scripts. Pretty sure it won't respawn unless you have it set up to this way.

Halo CE General Discussion » Changing lightmaps Feb 17, 2017 11:07 AM (Total replies: 8)

I did the lightmaps in CE and just converted the entire map to PC.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsbHIJuhCLI
Injecting is probably a better idea. If you're having those weird patterns in the lightmap I think it means it's not finished, or it got corrupted from injection. I've had this problem using the wrong image compression before with HMT, maybe it's that.

Halo CE General Discussion » Syncing AI components. Feb 17, 2017 01:01 AM (Total replies: 27)

Quote: --- Original message by: Docer
This is a very dumb question but can we copy the netcode from the xbox version to put it in the PC version?

No.

Halo CE General Discussion » Syncing AI components. Feb 1, 2017 12:02 AM (Total replies: 27)

Converting it to PC is pointless, you are far better off using a host detection script. There are some great ones around here and elsewhere. Dummies are easy to get rid of. The script below is the best I've seen so far, it works because clients don't get the names of named objects

(global boolean is_host false)

(script startup detectHost
(if (!= (unit_get_health "host_vehicle_name") -1)
(begin
(set is_host true)
)
)
)

I don't remember the object limit, but I had a map that used kirby's method for syncing and it had like 15 or 20 per base on bloodgulch.

With external tools and scripts, I've seen someone sync the position and animations of ai. Think the name was 002. It was by far the best I've seen.
Edited by JadeRifter on Mar 24, 2017 at 06:41 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » How to get Ghost's animation importer Jan 22, 2017 02:37 PM (Total replies: 5)

Sorry to hear the site is down, I still have the plugins on my hard drive if you want them.

https://www.mediafire.com/?s8gdf97598r1k4g

Edit: nvm, I see the archive has it.
Edited by JadeRifter on Jan 22, 2017 at 02:37 PM

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Question about object names Jan 22, 2017 10:30 AM (Total replies: 1)

Is there any way I can get the client to know the name of a biped spawned on the host? The client doesn't receive object names.

Time: Tue April 25, 2017 12:51 AM 625 ms.
A Halo Maps Website