A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: JadeMcLain
About Contact
Last Post: Mar 30, 2019 10:08 AM
Interests:
Your Age:
What Games do you play:

Post Statistics
JadeMcLain has contributed to 51 posts out of 468982 total posts (.01%) in 196 days (.26 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Edit Pathfinding Data Mar 30, 2019 10:08 AM (Total replies: 2)

Thanks for bringing that up. I was hoping to give AI the ability to leap to firing positions within their reach like the later games. I've been experimenting with "leap melee", which seems to allow AI the ability to perfectly land on their target no matter the distance.

I got the stuff to render with

ai_render_all_actors 1
ai_render_paths 1
ai_render_paths_raw 1

This was helpful
https://opencarnage.net/index.php?/topic/4146-command-list/
Edited by JadeMcLain on Mar 30, 2019 at 10:24 AM

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Edit Pathfinding Data Mar 29, 2019 05:59 PM (Total replies: 2)

Is there any documentation or ways to manipulate the way Halo generates pathfinding for BSPs? Are there any shortcuts in sapien to see the pathfining data?

Halo CE General Discussion » Weapon AI Swap Idea (Might not work idk) Mar 26, 2019 05:45 AM (Total replies: 2)

I'm glad you're showing interest in my projects. I'm trying to design a system for this to work now. I need the players exact weapon data, and I need the player to drop his weapons intact for this to work. I can manipulate the players weapons after they are no longer with the player by storing them into global objects.

(global object player0wep0 (unit_data_get_object (player0) weapon0))

The system I have right now is convoluted. I store the player into a global object so I can manipulate it when its no longer the player, create a copy of the players biped and teleport him to my exact location, set the first person camera to the biped and then posses it, teleport the old body away and kill it for the weapons, teleport the weapons back to the player using the global objects we stored earlier and the player will automatically pick both of them up. Thats what happened in the video.

I have discovered since then that feign death will force the player to drop his weapons and also allow him to pick them up again. The biggest halt to my progress right now is that AI cant pick up weapons and I'm trying to think of a way around this. Even if they could that would mean they waste your ammo and I still need to think more on this.

You can also detach the players weapons from himself
(objects_detach (player0) (unit_data_get_object (player0) weapon0))
I tried doing this and making the weapon attach to the player like the later Halo games and it failed horribly. It can however disarm the player. Maybe you can attach weapons to units some way and they can use it, probably not.

From what I gather, your idea is that we keep the first person camera with the player while we posses the ai and make him pick up the weapon. That might work but I'm not sure it would look good. I tried using recorded anims to make AI pick stuff up and enter vehicles but it didnt work. Maybe it was because the player wasnt controlling them. I'll do more testing on this soon.

Edited by JadeMcLain on Mar 26, 2019 at 06:00 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Dynamic Music Variation Mar 21, 2019 11:16 PM (Total replies: 0)

We can render the song with and without the instruments/perc, have all the variations play side by side as sound loopings, mute and unmute them depending on what the player is doing, like if they are in a vehicle or holding a certain weapon.

(script static unit hog1_driver (vehicle_driver hog1))

(script continuous hogmusic
(if (!= (unit_get_health (hog1_driver )) -1)
(sound_looping_set_scale "sound\loop2" 1)
)
(if (= (unit_get_health (hog1_driver )) -1)
(sound_looping_set_scale "sound\loop2" 0)
)
)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V69G3wJ7e10
Edited by JadeMcLain on Mar 21, 2019 at 11:17 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Can't add tags to tag list. Sapian. [no logs] Mar 17, 2019 02:32 PM (Total replies: 18)

Quote: --- Original message by: Silver
Correct. I have a clean tags folder in the same directory as sapian.

I've used refinery to re-extract the tags.

I was just able to add tags through gorilla. But not sapian. just to test.

Are you using shortcuts to sapien, and are you changing Halo's save path?

Halo CE General Discussion » Can't add tags to tag list. Sapian. [no logs] Mar 17, 2019 09:48 AM (Total replies: 18)

Quote: --- Original message by: Silver

Heyo. Made an account so I could post about this incredibly frustrating little bug I'm stuck with.

Sapian refuses to allow me to add any sort of tag to a tag type list. Clicking add causes nothing to happen. There are no logs in debug and there are no tag errors.

The debug doesn't report any errors with sapian. Everything is running fine according to it.

03.16.19 16:34:21  a hobo pc 01.01.00.0609 ----------------------------------------------
03.16.19 16:34:21 reference function: _write_to_error_file
03.16.19 16:34:21 reference address: 401b13
03.16.19 16:34:21 Couldn't read map file './a_hobobeta.map'
03.16.19 16:34:21 CreateDevice succeeded with refresh rate = 0
03.16.19 16:34:21 Sound card doesn't meet minimum hardware requirements. Disabling hardware option.
03.16.19 16:34:22 Increasing sound decompression buffer size to 1048576 bytes
03.16.19 16:34:45 the meter definition ui\hud\cyborg shield does not specify a stencil bitmap group.
03.16.19 16:34:45 the meter definition ui\hud\cyborg body does not specify a stencil bitmap group.
03.16.19 16:34:49 local player 0, weapon (0x0), deleted unexpectedly

Just in case you ask. This is what the logs look like from start.
None of these errors are out of the ordinary from my eyes.

A quick test told me as much. Deleted a tag in a list that was already in the map. And tried to add it back. No dice. No feed back. No error. No log entry.

I'm pulling my hair out trying to fix the issue. I've done everything from compatibility settings on and off, reinstalling everything. Re extracting tags using refinery.
running admin. Using kornmans version, using base version.

One thing I can do is add tags via gorilla to a list. But that is the most pain the the butt way possible.

So I'm wondering if any of you have run into this exact type of issue before and am hoping you could help me fix it.

Edited by Silver on Mar 16, 2019 at 04:59 PM

I had this exact problem when my tags where not in my tags directory. In sapien when you go to add tags, check the folder to see if its inside your Halo CE folder under tags. There may be a chance sapien is looking somewhere else you installed Halo before.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Differences between actor types? Mar 16, 2019 03:55 PM (Total replies: 2)

Is there any documentation on the actor type differences in the actor tag?

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo: The Master Chief Collection Coming to PC Mar 13, 2019 07:49 PM (Total replies: 76)

you know what, forget it. ignore this.
Edited by JadeMcLain on Mar 13, 2019 at 07:55 PM

Quote: --- Original message by: DeadHamster
player_add_equipment doesn't seem to impact AI units as far as I could tell, but I only tried it in Sapien and I wasn't able to use unit_kill either.

(unit (list_get (ai_actors test) 0))

Was how I got to the unit itself. Might not work for all functions, I was able to verify the health was 1 instead of -1, but again direct commands didn't seem to affect him. Might've been a Sapien thing, didn't care enough to keep looking.

Was thinking of having the actor spawn a biped from an effect, giving that biped an effect that damages, using recent_damage.unit from opensauce to detect when the actor is damaged, and then attaching AI to the detected biped.

So basically the encounters actors will spawn bipeds and attach AI to them, then delete themselves.

EDIT: It turns out spawned actors can have more than one wep. I will post more on this. It just seems to work. I took away the weapon in the actor tag so it uses the biped weapons. I think the marine major upgrade or something was screwing with me because it just works now.
Edited by JadeMcLain on Mar 12, 2019 at 09:22 AM

Quote: --- Original message by: JadeMcLain
Bipeds can be given two weapons, but spawned actors only have one. You would need to name bipeds and attach them with AI for this way to work.

Oh that's incredibly unfortunate.

Its unfortunate but doable for me. I'm still looking for a way to give actors more weapons.

Edited by JadeMcLain on Mar 11, 2019 at 02:54 AM

Quote: --- Original message by: JadeMcLain
We could also just migrate them to an encounter based on their weapon.
Edited by JadeMcLain on Mar 10, 2019 at 01:27 PM

That seems the best choice. At least for me, with the setup I'm currently running. Watching the AI just unload with the sniper in the beginning, while humorous, is not good for gameplay.

I already have a RA for switching weapons on the player in Mombasa, which is used for the Weapon Armory. So I'm highly interested in something like this, that could be implemented so seamlessly.

I'd be looking to have Elites and Brutes switch from Carbines to PRs or Energy Swords once their AI encounters got below a certain threshold. Basically they no longer have support to utilize range, and now need to switch to attacking directly.

BTW, how are you giving the AI a second weapon to start with?
Edited by DeadHamster on Mar 10, 2019 at 03:31 PM

Bipeds can be given two weapons, but spawned actors only have one. You would need to name bipeds and attach them with AI for this way to work.

Well that's pretty interesting.

Edit: Apparently, taking the firing values into consideration is pretty necessary. If it's setup to be an AR for example and switches to a shotgun, that's going to be wonky.
Edited by DeadHamster on Mar 10, 2019 at 10:37 AM

Thats true, I edited the main post. The sniper AI for example would still behave like a sniper, so it would be best to give him his own setup. They would switch only when necessary, and would switch back to their default weapons after. So if a flood or whatever came up close to bother the sniper, he would pull out his shotgun and blast it, then go back to using the sniper.

We could also just migrate them to an encounter based on their weapon.
Edited by JadeMcLain on Mar 10, 2019 at 01:27 PM

Not sure there are limits to how many actors you can transform, but using recorded anims can make named bipeds switch weapons.

(script continuous ai_switchwep
(if (<= (objects_distance_to_object m0 (unit (list_get (ai_actors floods) 0))) 5)
(begin
(recording_play m0 wepswitch)
(sleep -1)
)
)
)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgaOdMih4rk

you could have the marine use a sniper for distant enemies, the assault rifle for medium range, and the shotgun when it comes up close
Edited by JadeMcLain on Mar 10, 2019 at 01:21 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » flying type vehicles that can strafe Mar 7, 2019 02:56 AM (Total replies: 11)

I never had a problem with the animations. The align stuff can be cut out entirely if you use the model and coll of the vehicle for your biped, then make the model invisible.

Halo CE General Discussion » flying type vehicles that can strafe Mar 6, 2019 09:36 PM (Total replies: 11)

Quote: --- Original message by: savinpvtmike
do i set up a biped?

I forgot to mention that you need a flying biped like the sentinel, make a copy of its gbxmodel and have the shaders point to a blank glass shader (you can make a new glass shader in guerrilla and save it to the tags directory, name it null). This will make the flying biped invisible. Then you give it a seat, make the label "stand" or some other label from the vehicles animation tag, have it be the driver and gunner. The vehicle_load_magic command will now be able to load the vehicle into this flying biped.

You would also need to mess around with the movement settings for the biped to make it like the vehicles.

Then you would need to change the markers so the vehicle aligns correctly, the realtime editor will come in handy for this.

I can post my test map and script soon, it will be in this thread.

edit: the rider ejection part should not be left false, that was my bad
Edited by JadeMcLain on Mar 6, 2019 at 09:59 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » flying type vehicles that can strafe Mar 6, 2019 08:54 PM (Total replies: 11)

Do this but instead it makes marines drive warthogs better.

Like, without command lists. Just driving around using their A.I.

I got it working fairly good, but it's a hackjob.

You do weird things. Usually works really well. Do some weird things, let me know how it goes.

I was actually thinking about doing that, I'll post it here if I find anything out.

Quote: --- Original message by: savinpvtmike

i cant get this script to work properly
how would you set it up in sapien?
Edited by savinpvtmike on Mar 6, 2019 at 07:01 PM

First you need to name a vehicle b0, or you can change the name and replace that in the script.
Then you need to add this above everything in the script.
(script static unit b0_driver (vehicle_driver b0))
If you haven't already, you need a script folder in your data directory under levels\test\yourlevelname\scripts\script.hsc

If anything else comes up I'd be happy to help.
Edited by JadeMcLain on Mar 6, 2019 at 09:00 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » walk on moving stuff early idea Mar 6, 2019 05:27 AM (Total replies: 6)

Devices will stick the player to them as they move, like objects from the later Halo games. If we use opensauce scripting, we can make the device follow the vehicle position. The problems I have right now are collision issues with devices bumping the vehicles, and device physics will randomly stop working after I go out far enough. Any help would be appreciated.

https://youtu.be/31ISKYnVtDs

edit:
https://youtu.be/xTU6RGh5JBc

edit2:
https://youtu.be/XATNWx59HU8
Edited by JadeMcLain on Mar 8, 2019 at 06:43 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » flying type vehicles that can strafe Mar 6, 2019 12:14 AM (Total replies: 11)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhXJR54QwH8

We name the vehicle, detect when the vehicle driver exists.

(script static unit b0_driver (vehicle_driver b0))

Then we load the vehicle into a flying biped thats been tweaked to move like the vehicle, when the driver doesn't exist anymore we unload the vehicle from the invisible blank collision-less flying biped.

(script continuous b0_strafe
(if (!= (unit_get_health (b0_driver)) -1)
(begin
(set rider_ejection false)
(objects_attach b0 "" fly1 "")
(objects_detach b0 fly1)
(vehicle_load_magic fly1 "stand" b0)
(sleep_until (= (unit_get_health (b0_driver)) -1))
(vehicle_unload fly1 "")
(set rider_ejection true)
)
)
)

Edited by JadeMcLain on Mar 6, 2019 at 12:15 AM

try this
https://www.dropbox.com/s/j6fb3ox6z1xmzzq/fresh_mp_sp_custom_edition_tagset.7z?dl=1

Quote: --- Original message by: beast
I use "tool build-cache-file levels\test\mapname\mapname and it says it's successful however it doesn't show up when I go to create a LAN server in Halo CE.

Halo might be saving your work in another folder because the hek tools do not have write permission. If you installed Halo to your program files directory, I would try moving or reinstalling to a folder you have control over.

Time: Mon May 27, 2019 8:38 AM 218 ms.
A Halo Maps Website