A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: mikedestef
About Contact
Last Post: Apr 21, 2010 01:29 AM
Interests:
Your Age: 18
What Games do you play:
i'm wicked new.
Email: {hidden}

Post Statistics
mikedestef has contributed to 11 posts out of 469387 total posts (0.00%) in 3,493 days (0.00 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Using SketchUp to Model a Map (lengthy) Apr 21, 2010 01:29 AM (Total replies: 33)

It's been quiet in here for a while. Thought I'd give a tiny update... haven't done much on the map for a few weeks other than this:
http://img707.imageshack.us/i/75158507r.png/ (and still, it's not letting me imbed pics. dunno what's up.)
Added a cliff walkway to that upper cliff. Felt like not enough players would be inclined to walk ALL the way around to get back there.

Edited by mikedestef on Apr 21, 2010 at 01:30 AM

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Using SketchUp to Model a Map (lengthy) Apr 11, 2010 12:11 AM (Total replies: 33)

Doing my work over in 3ds is unlikely to happen. If my model is un-usable for a map, then I've just made a cool proof-of-concept. Haha.

Anyway, this is the progress I've made. I added a... thing behind the bases. A non-grass floor, part of the base structures. It's sort of like a courtyard.
http://img541.imageshack.us/i/86670823.png/
http://img684.imageshack.us/i/81339324.png/
http://img26.imageshack.us/i/37520440.png/
http://img15.imageshack.us/i/86595611.png/

--okay, for the life of me, I can't figure out why in the sam hell it isn't letting me imbed the pictures. So for the time being, they're just links.
Edited by mikedestef on Apr 11, 2010 at 12:36 AM

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Using SketchUp to Model a Map (lengthy) Apr 7, 2010 09:38 PM (Total replies: 33)

Quote: Give us a link to the sketchup model and I'll see what I can do. I converted a sketchup model once before and it did have errors which I fixed (almost). I really like the map concept and if it takes reimporting/modeling the map in 3ds I'd still like to see it done. You've done a super fine job.

Fantastic! And thanks, always nice to hear someone likes my work.
For sure, when I finish up the model, I'll post a DL link for whoever wants to take on the error-fest they will inevitably face.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Using SketchUp to Model a Map (lengthy) Apr 6, 2010 02:54 AM (Total replies: 33)

OLD GREG'S GOT A MANNNGIIINAAHH!
Hahah, solid show. That's by far my favorite episode. Well, that one, and Nanageddon.

But to answer your question...
Yeah, I realize it's tough to see some stuff in the pictures. Unfortunately though, I'm pretty sure that's the best I'm gonna get out of sketchup.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Using SketchUp to Model a Map (lengthy) Apr 5, 2010 10:58 PM (Total replies: 33)

That's what I'm trying to do. It's just easier to do that anyway, too.

PROGRESS:
walls!

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Using SketchUp to Model a Map (lengthy) Apr 3, 2010 03:13 AM (Total replies: 33)

Quote: This is actually pretty cool. I'd love to see it ingame.

Right on, man. Thanks! That's the ideal outcome.

And as for that ridiculously large number of errors upon import... jeeeez. Any way to remedy that?

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Using SketchUp to Model a Map (lengthy) Apr 2, 2010 04:47 PM (Total replies: 33)

Ahh, so good to get positive feedback! :D

Now, in regards to fixing errors, why exactly are there so many in the first place? Would me trying to not have any gaps between faces lower the possibility for errors?

Also, here's what I got done last night -- what I said in my last post: additions to the spires, and a walkway in the fronts of the bases.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Using SketchUp to Model a Map (lengthy) Apr 2, 2010 12:18 AM (Total replies: 33)

Oh, my bad. Not really sure how that happened. But thanks for fixing it!

Also, progress report:
Added a little bit of flair to the four spires on the bases, just to make it my own.
Also, added a small cliff/walkway thing leading from the ground in front of the base, up and to the right, to the side entrance, then back up over to the front entrance. I really like it, it looks good, and I think it's necessary in order to direct player flow.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Using SketchUp to Model a Map (lengthy) Apr 1, 2010 08:01 PM (Total replies: 33)

Thanks man. I've done a bit more on the model since the first picture I posted.

http://img532.imageshack.us/img532/6492/picture1op.png overview
http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/248/picture5j.png x-ray overview, so you can see the back hallway and cave tunnels
http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/822/picture71.png entrance to the back hallway
http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/4387/picture6bu.png entrance to back hallway on opposite base, along with cave tunnel leading up from ground-level

or just see main post.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Using SketchUp to Model a Map (lengthy) Mar 27, 2010 02:44 PM (Total replies: 33)

Yeah, I figured. I don't have access to the computer I'm doing the work on, so I can't provide anything at the moment. But later today I'll be able to. I'll edit the main post and add some pictures in.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Using SketchUp to Model a Map (lengthy) Mar 27, 2010 01:46 AM (Total replies: 33)

First and foremost, I am extremely new to ALL of this. Huge n00b. I have absolutely zero experience in this field, and very minimal technical/technological knowledge in general.
However, my creativity is by no means at short supply, and often exceeds my abilities. This is where you, Halo Maps community, will eventually (and hopefully) come into play.

Now, with that out of the way...

As mentioned, my technical and technological abilities, especially when it comes to using 3D modeling software, are extremely limited. But with creativity out the wazoo, I had to find an easy outlet -- something simple to get the image in my head to an.. image on the computer.

And here is where SketchUp comes into play.

SketchUp has a very shallow learning curve, which appeals to my sometimes-easily-overwhelmed-by-complicated-things brain. Using the program has become a relative breeze for me. More on that in a bit.

Pt 1, the backstory

For the past few years, I've had an idea brewing in my noggin.
Halo 2's Coagulation was, to date, one of my all-time favorite Halo multiplayer maps. That being said, you can imagine my disappointment when the map was not brought back for Halo 3. Some may argue that Valhalla fills the void, but I disagree.

Since the launch of Halo 3, I've been, slowly, working on an idea for a (true, not spiritual) successor to Coagulation.
Only recently, however, have I truly put my imagination to work.
For the past week or so, I have been working on modeling said Coag Successor, temporarily entitled Artery

I started off by downloading the Blood Gulch map model from this lovely site, along with the Coagulation base model. I imported both of the .3ds files into Google SketchUp, because, like I said, I basically can't use anything any more complicated.

From there, I got to work on altering the terrain and bases to fit the general idea I concocted several years back.

Pt. 2, the reason I'm here

The reason I say any of this is because, should it be possible, I would like to get my map out there into the Halo CE world. I can't personally play it, as I don't own Halo CE or even a Windows PC that can handle it, but I feel as if I would be blessing the world with my incredible gift. (sarcasm!)

I just want it to exist. In my opinion, the idea is too good to just sit up in my head. My entire life I have loved creating things. When I have an idea, and I really like it, I almost always end up with some form tangible (be it visual or otherwise) object to represent the idea.

Pt. 3, the INQUISITION (see title)

A big part of this whole jig is whether or not it would be possible to make a Halo CE map using a model built in SketchUp.

I've read a little bit on here about importing, exporting, errors, "just model it in gmax in the first place" -- and such as. (anyone get the reference?)

Basically, can it be done?

Pt. 4, the PROPOSITION

Simply put, I come to you, Halo Maps community, asking for your collective efforts to make this map a reality.

Due to lack of sk1llz, and resources, my hope (and only option, really) is to hand over the SketchUp model to some helpful and willing soul, and leave the rest in their hands.

The only request would be that who ever ends up with the workload, defer from altering any major features in the map.

TL;DR
I've got an idea for a map. I can provide a SketchUp model of the map geometry, full creative and artistic direction, and absolutely nothing else.
Who wants to help me?

For pictures of the map, as of wednesday march 30th, see post#6
For pictures as of thursday april 1st, see post#12

Edited by mikedestef on Apr 2, 2010 at 04:56 PM

Time: Fri October 18, 2019 11:15 AM 235 ms.
A Halo Maps Website