A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: Ifafudafi
About Contact
Last Post: Jul 12, 2014 01:03 PM
Interests:
Your Age:
What Games do you play:
AIM:
MSN IM:
Yahoo IM:

Post Statistics
Ifafudafi has contributed to 78 posts out of 479026 total posts (.02%) in 1,498 days (.05 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE General Discussion » CMT RETURNS! New project and team details inside! Jul 12, 2014 01:03 PM (Total replies: 8690)

Quote: --- Original message by: Higuy
It slightly bothers me that the entire team CMT and OS people haven't bothered to just start making their own game at this point. Alot of talent stuck in a very old engine.

tell me about it man

Quote: --- Original message by: NewDoubleO1
Sorry noob question but um... is TSC:E part of Spv3 or are they completely distinct projects?

They're distinct projects that share art assets (effects, models, textures, sounds) and a few team members. TSC:E is headed up by Teh Lag and myself; Masterz handles SPV3.

When SPV3 happens, though, it will use the TSC:E BSP in place of the stock TSC, because why use the old one when there's this shiny new thing ready and waiting for

Halo CE General Discussion » CMT RETURNS! New project and team details inside! Jul 12, 2014 02:22 AM (Total replies: 8690)

Quote: --- Original message by: MatthewDratt
It's looking good!

Will the new version of OS be released alongside the project or sometime before?

You'll know as soon as we know
Edited by Ifafudafi on Jul 12, 2014 at 02:22 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » CMT RETURNS! New project and team details inside! Jul 12, 2014 01:14 AM (Total replies: 8690)

Hello, Halo friends. An update from the TSC:E team:

The Silent Cartographer: Evolved will release on August 29, 2014.

"August 29th?"
yes
"Wait! You said it was coming in July!"
yes
"That's not July!"
yes
"Why isn't it coming in July?"

funny you should ask

TSC:E was planned to launch alongside a headlining new Open Sauce feature. The usual problems with hacking one's way through a now-13-year-old zombie engine have not been kind to the OS team; and so, getting this feature out in time for TSC:E's release became very unlikely. While we did promise July, giving ourselves an extra month to polish and improve the rest of the map -- allowing the OS guys the time they need work things out -- was something all of the TSC:E team were happy to take advantage of.

The feature is Directional Lightmaps.

These add directional information to Halo's lightmaps. Part of that means "just better" lighting, with light bouncing and accumulating more and more accurately; but the big deal is that they allow lightmaps to bring out normal maps on BSP textures.

This is a seemingly small addition with practically enormous consequences. You already know what normal mapping does with directional lighting on game objects -- allowing for the same detail on BSPs means we can bring the environents to a level of fidelity that was simply not feasible until now, at very little cost to your computer and almost no cost to our lighting process.

(For the technically minded, here's further information on what exactly is involved with this kind of tech)

We just got DLMs online in TSC:E's BSP -- we've been waiting on that to accompany this announcement; the above test pictures are less than an hour old, and there's still a lot of debugging and testing to do before they're fully ready -- but we've developed a number of other cool new things since we last checked in, including:

-switching seamlessly between an underbarrel grenade launcher and regular grenades with a GL-weapon equipped
-a new two-piece Shade turret that you can knock off its base with a well-placed Warthog ram
-a checkpoint warning system that lets you know when the game wants to save, but can't because you need to take cover
-a new system that allows you to use the two healthpacks inside Warthogs

...and this is all happening alongside a constant process of asset optimization, through which we've trimmed literal dozens of megabytes and literal hundreds of tagslots -- giving us even more space to use for things like the new Grunt.

TSC:E will be absent from the upcoming CE3 presentation -- Masterz has plenty of SPV3 content to fill that space -- but be assured that this latest release date is the real deal. Expect to hear a lot more as that day approaches.
Edited by Ifafudafi on Jul 12, 2014 at 01:34 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » CMT RETURNS! New project and team details inside! Jun 10, 2014 04:57 PM (Total replies: 8690)

Quote: --- Original message by: P3
So TSC: Evolved is going to be released pretty soon now. Did you guys change the spartan and elite model? Or is it still pretty much still just the same ones that you guys used in the released A50 level with maybe updated shaders or textures or whatever? Will the new grunts, ( if there is one ready ) be in TSC: Evolved? Do you guys have new marine models, and are they going to be in TSC: Evolved? Have you guys remade most, if not all of the covenant and UNSC units that are going to be used, or are there still going to be placeholders?

If you guys answer these, you guys would make my day.

I can guarantee (at least) one of those things: we will use new and very attractive Grunt models
Edited by Ifafudafi on Jun 10, 2014 at 05:19 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » CMT RETURNS! New project and team details inside! May 28, 2014 01:33 AM (Total replies: 8690)

I've been informed there's a balance discussion going on in this thread

To assist and enlighten I've been asked by siliconmaster (I think he goes by slashrat here) to drop some empirical stats from actual Halo games. Particularly relevant to the topic at hand would seem to be the Assault Rifle; so, I present some hard facts about the gun in its various incarnations here, without bias, prejudice, or intent to support/discredit any particular parties

HALO 1
-Deals 0.7x reduced damage to Elite shields
-Accuracy beings at a 2.0 degree spread, deteriorates over 0.6 seconds (9 shots' worth) to 6.0 degrees
-Kills Elite minors as quickly as a best-case Pistol headshot (within 0.2 seconds), kills Elite majors ~0.5-1.0 seconds more quickly than best-case Pistol headshot
-Kills a Grunt minor on Normal in 0.20 seconds w/ 3 shots; kills a Grunt major on Heroic in 0.53 seconds w/ 8 shots

HALO 2
unaccounted for (technically it was turned into the SMG but)

HALO 3
-No damage modifiers
-DPS is precisely equivalent to a single SMG
-Accuracy starts at 0.10 degree spread, deteriorates after 3 shots to rough equivalent of a single SMG (1.25 to 3.00 degrees)
-Kills all Brutes at least 0.5 seconds more slowly than best-case Battle Rifle headshot, up to 2.0 seconds more slowly and beyond as difficulty increases
-Kills a Grunt minor on Normal in 0.40 seconds w/ 4 shots; kills a Grunt major on Heroic in 0.90 seconds w/ 9 shots

HALO REACH
-No damage modifiers
-DPS is decreased relative to Halo 3 (from 75.00 to ~63.11)
-Starting accuracy is slightly worse -- from 0.10 spread in H3 to 0.30 -- but takes longer to deteriorate to a milder max cap of 2.50 degrees
-Kills all Elites 0.4-0.6 seconds more slowly than best-case DMR headshot
-Kills Brute minors 1.5-2.0 seconds more slowly than best-case DMR headshot, Brute captians (major equivalent) 3.0+ seconds more slowly than best-case DMR headshot
-Kills a Grunt minor on Normal in 0.59 seconds w/ 6 shots; kills a Grunt major on Heroic in 0.92 seconds w/ 9 shots

HALO 4
-No damage modifiers
-DPS increased back to Halo 3 equivalent
-Accuracy recieves insigificant modification from Reach (0.15 degree to 2.45 degree spread)
-Kills all Elites ~0.6 seconds more quickly than best-case DMR headshot on Normal, ~as quickly as best-case DMR headshot on Heroic
-Kills a Grunt minor on Normal in 0.40 seconds w/ 4 shots; kills a Grunt major on Heroic in 1.10 seconds w/ 11 shots

---

I'd also like to leave everybody on the note that the Plasma Rifle does not receive any damage penalty against any materials other than unshielded Spartans & Elites in Halo 2 and onward (no penalty against H3 Brutes), and only unshielded Spartans in Halo 1; and, it is equivalent in DPS to the SMG in Halos 2 & 3 once rate of fire accelerates (0.6 seconds, 3 shots' worth)

Halo CE General Discussion » ANNOUNCING ASCM 2 - Another Stupid CMT Mod Apr 2, 2014 02:30 AM (Total replies: 18)

Day's winding down, about to sleep, so some explanation:

The weapons demonstrated are a few of many experiments I've done across TSC:E's development. Some (like this DMR) were actual prototypes that never made it to testers, some (Napalm) were based more on trying new effect styles than making an actual fits-in-the-map weapon, and some (Dark Needler) were just screwing around while waiting for testers to test and artists to art.

I started keeping these things around more for posterity than any practical reason, but they've started to really pile up (there are plenty more than just these six) and so I figured I'd showcase a few in a lighthearted video, both for your enjoyment and to test the waters a bit. While "ASCM 2" is an unlikely thing to happen ever, and certainly not in the near future, simply tossing the guns into a thoughtlessly oversaturated encounter ended up being quite a bit of fun; I'd very much like to get them to you in a playable format, but this would be a secondary priority after my TSC:E work and consequently not something that would be seen until after that's done.

TSC:E's still on track for July; Evolved team will be staying dark for the coming weeks, but you'll get your eyes and ears on plenty when we're on the leadup to release. See you then.

Halo CE General Discussion » ANNOUNCING ASCM 2 - Another Stupid CMT Mod Apr 1, 2014 09:39 PM (Total replies: 18)

Will it be using open sauce?

Open Sauce is a terrible hack and an all around piece of awful software that does nothing but drain resources, spoil developers, and confuse the end-user.

Open Sauce will be mandatory.

Halo CE General Discussion » ANNOUNCING ASCM 2 - Another Stupid CMT Mod Apr 1, 2014 08:49 PM (Total replies: 18)

ASCM 2 is happening. ASCM 2 is the epic followup to one of the most popular and loved campaign mods of all time. ASCM 2, built from the CMT tagset, is dedicated to honoring the sacred, flawless masterpiece that is Halo 1, by adding many new innovative weapons and tweaking as many things as possible. You've never seen Halo 1 like this.

Some of the epic new tools you'll get to play with:

SMG: Taken from the Halo 1 AR, bullet hoses are fun but they can be boring, and many of the shots can often miss. So, the ASCM 2 SMG's bullets have homing properties. Otherwise, this is the same H1AR you know and love, except also with better accuracy and a higher rate of fire.

Gauss DMR: Everybody knows that the single most important thing about Halo, and Halo 1 especially, is headshots. The ASCM 2 Gauss DMR's high autoaim and perfect accuracy while zoomed ensure that you'll feel like a badass charging into a crowd and taking everything down in a single shot. For stronger enemies, the Gauss DMR can charge up a super-powerful shot that does equal damage to the Sniper Rifle.

Dark Needler: I've always felt that Halo as a series lacks midrange options, if you ignore the Needler, Plasma/Storm Rifle/Repeater, Spiker, Assault Rifle, and Pistol. The Dark Needler fills this role by shooting a supercondensed crystal which explodes in midair, shredding anything in front of it with a storm of dark energy needles. The crystal can attach to live targets, too, for a super cool explosion chain!

Jackal Plasma Pistol: Elites get Plasma Rifles and Grunts get Plasma Pistols. Why not give Jackals something? The Jackal Plasma Pistol is like a Plasma Pistol times three! It has a lower rate of fire and a longer charge time, but it fires three bolts per shot -- both normal and charged.

Napalm Thrower: It wouldn't be H1 if it didn't have some form of the Flamethrower. This variant sprays superheated liquid that sticks to anything it touches and lights it on fire. Powerful and straightforward!

Plasma Cannon: Instead of shooting just another boring explosive, the Plasma Cannon, after a brief charge-up period, launches a radioactive fuel rod that bounces around, hurting anything that gets caught in the radiation field and causing mini-explosions on each bounce. The final detonation is enough to kill almost anything that moves.

Here's a video, giving you a sneak peek into how Halo 1's campaign has been enriched:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuWlGoJbOq0

Announcing difficulty levels for ASCM 2! Only wimps and girls play on anything other than Legendary, so I'm proud to announce that Legendary will be the only selectable difficulty available for ASCM 2. But what am I going to do with the other difficulty levels? You'll have to stay tuned to find out... I can hint that it makes Halo 1 even more dynamic and engaging by making most of your tactics and weapons worthless!

ASCM 2 isn't tied down to Halo 1, either! Coming soon: Halo 2, 3, 3: ODST, Wars, Reach, 4, 5, and Spartan Assault...

Halo CE General Discussion » CMT RETURNS! New project and team details inside! Mar 20, 2014 03:04 PM (Total replies: 8690)

cmt suxs

Halo CE General Discussion » CMT RETURNS! New project and team details inside! Feb 24, 2014 10:56 PM (Total replies: 8690)

hello halomaps goers. something happened today...

Quote:
It's been two years since CMT last released a map.

Since then, you've seen a considerable amount of our latest star project, The Silent Cartographer: Evolved, most recently in its 2013 Media Month. Each time, you've asked, "when?" Each time, we've answered that as soon as we know, you will too.

We now know. The Silent Cartographer: Evolved will release in July, 2014.

Stay tuned to the usual channels as this date approaches. All of us are incredibly proud of what we've been building and are chomping at the bit to let you play, and while we don't want to spoil the many, many surprises, here's a look at a never-before-seen area of TSC:E to help tide you over:

Halo CE General Discussion » CMT RETURNS! New project and team details inside! Jul 25, 2013 11:51 PM (Total replies: 8690)

fourth and final TSC:E trailer has been posted!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzMloaw58zw

Quote: This is the end of media month. Having spent nearly 30 days making this happen, TSC:E will be going fairly if not fully dark again for quite a while, probably until the lead-up to the map's release; making sure everything is public-ready takes a lot of time and effort, and we're very eager to bring our full attention back to developing the map. Still, keep an eye out for more tidbits; as soon as we've got a comfortable lock on a release window, we'll let everybody know -- in the meantime, check through the OP to make sure you didn't miss anything, and enjoy the last trailer!

"the OP" being the halomods media month thread: http://www.halomods.com/ips/index.php?/topic/680-cmts-the-silent-cartographer-evolved-media-month/
Edited by Ifafudafi on Jul 25, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » CMT RETURNS! New project and team details inside! Jul 23, 2013 09:53 PM (Total replies: 8690)

well we were supposed to have a trailer by now, but anybody who knows HEK knows that it absolutely cannot and will not allow anything to go smoothly, especially when precise times are supposed to be met

joke's on tool, though, because I've got an extra feature to fill the time until we can get things smoothed out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spme33LqCZA

...is the video component of a look at the frag grenade's explosion; words and pictures at the halomods thread: http://www.halomods.com/ips/index.php?/topic/680-cmts-the-silent-cartographer-evolved-media-month/page__view__findpost__p__8214

Halo CE General Discussion » CMT RETURNS! New project and team details inside! Jul 17, 2013 09:23 PM (Total replies: 8690)

today's tsc:e feature is up on http://www.halomods.com/ips/index.php?/topic/680-cmts-the-silent-cartographer-evolved-media-month/page__view__findpost__p__8183. it is about the weapons in tsc:e!

a preview...

Quote:
Unique Roles and Mechanics
If you whisked the gun the player's currently using out of their hands and replaced it with another one, would they do anything differently?

In Halo...
Most people think of weapons by thinking of their characteristics. It's Blue, it fires at X rounds-per-second, automatic fire; and so, when desiging a weapon, it's tempting to follow the same process. Semi-automatic plasma gun with high rate of fire! Shotgun that fires needles!

These characteristics, though, are merely a means to an end, rather than the ends themselves. Think of the question at the top of this section: if the answer is "nothing," and the player just keeps on firing away without changing their position, their targets, or their tactics, then the weapon does not embody a unique place in the weapon set.

Halo CE General Discussion » CMT RETURNS! New project and team details inside! Jul 15, 2013 08:06 PM (Total replies: 8690)

aforementioned unexpected issues were not enough to delay until tomorrow! trailer is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-8agPfnpL0

this'll be the last full week of stuff; updates wed and fri, and then one last trailer on monday 22nd will cap things off

Halo CE General Discussion » CMT RETURNS! New project and team details inside! Jul 12, 2013 07:23 PM (Total replies: 8690)

If I skimmed correctly these updates are only about TSC:E. At CE3 we have SPv3

ding

we'll have another tsc:e infopost before the day's over

Halo CE General Discussion » CMT RETURNS! New project and team details inside! Jul 11, 2013 11:47 PM (Total replies: 8690)

Quote: --- Original message by: Storm
An example, the Eviscerator, by Ifafudafi from ASCM. The needler mod worked very well and was well balanced.

ASCM's weapon set is an oversaturated hodge-podge of niche gimmicks and copious redundancy, with the few novel ideas buired behind amateurish guestimated "balancing" and an inexplicable need to adhere to completely arbitrary classifications that have (at best) tenuous or (more often) zero connection to any practical interpretation of the gameplay

I kind of liked the particles though

oh no, The Lag has gone far away
and we'd promised a video for this monday!
must we now apply a torturous delay
to this second glimpse of exciting gameplay?

not so! I shall tackle this perilous task
of posting the link on halomaps!
lag's wit and charm, I may lack, perhaps
but it's that, or bring forth the utter collapse

of the web, and society as a whole!
indeed, we must keep to the prescribed schedule;
so enjoy the footage, and the coming weeks, full
of media and features we're itching to unroll!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khELucJsDNY
Edited by Ifafudafi on Jul 8, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » CMT RETURNS! New project and team details inside! Jun 28, 2013 02:30 PM (Total replies: 8690)

Quote: --- Original message by: WWLinkMasterX
The 1 year anniversary of the B30:E announcement trailer is in a couple days...

it sure is

Halo CE General Discussion » CMT RETURNS! New project and team details inside! Oct 19, 2012 01:14 AM (Total replies: 8690)

Quote: --- Original message by: The Lodeman
Iffy, it's more about a feeling than it is about charts. How do you want a gun to feel when you fire it, how much damage should a gun of this caliber do on an enemy? Not: statistical analysis shows that the perfect experience would be to have x amount of damage over y amount of time.

I agree completely. That's why we have testers who constantly evaluate every change and every tweak to ensure that things fall into place on the subjective side, becuase what I might think is a supersweet set of weapon stats may not necessarily be what other people think.

Both sets have diverged significantly from what was in a50; I wouldn't consider that in any way an accurate representation of what the set will play or feel like in future maps. Again, I don't want to start delving into specifics because there are still a lot of major changes underway even now -- there's no point in detailing all the reasoning behind a major weapon change when that weapon may not have the same behavior or may not even be in the weapon set as soon as next week.

Halo CE General Discussion » CMT RETURNS! New project and team details inside! Oct 19, 2012 12:02 AM (Total replies: 8690)

Quote: --- Original message by: Masters1337
right now we have 2 tagsets, we have one designed by Iffy where all weapons are completely independent from their H1 tag values (think of how H2 did it's weapon behaviors), and we have mine where everything is built to retain what I believe people love and want from Halo CE.

I don't want to start something here but one could draw a couple of misleading conclusions from this, so I'd like to try and clarify a bit

Several different variations on weapon stats, behavior, etc. are being presented to testers simultaneously, mostly along the lines of a varation crafted by myself in our b30 test-builds and another by Masterz in his SPv3 test-builds, with the idea that the good bits and the bad bits of each will be able to be more easily identified (and then be converged or eliminated) by comparison and contrast. In combining the theoretical high points of two seperate methodoligies while removing the disadvantages, the end product would ideally then be a deliciously marbled gameplay cake.

However, in both cases, the goal is to "retain what [whoever] believe[s] people love and want from Halo CE;" the difference is how "what makes Halo 1 Halo 1" is interpreted -- and believe me there are differences. It's easy to see why 343 left the gameplay completely untouched for Anniversary.

This is still a very ongoing and very not-finished process, though, so I don't want to get too into detail until we've got things more solidified on our end

Time: Tue July 29, 2014 4:38 AM 203 ms.
A Halo Maps Website