A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: Ifafudafi
About Contact
Last Post: May 17, 2015 11:17 PM
Interests:
Your Age:
What Games do you play:
AIM:
MSN IM:
Yahoo IM:

Post Statistics
Ifafudafi has contributed to 144 posts out of 433339 total posts (.03%) in 1,835 days (.08 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:

Quote: --- Original message by: Nickster5000
What exactly is going on with all of these different file types, and how is it all mechanically operating? I understand that you guys are busy, overwhelmed and completely over Halo CE, but I would appreciate any sort of answer. Thank you in advance, and thank you again for all of your releases!!

this bonus release adds onto the existing core tags release & scenario tags/scripts release, so make sure you get those before trying anything.

you will also need kornman00's Haloscript preprocessor (HSPP), which is avaiable on halomaps. (the scenario release readme also contains a download link.)

once you have those, you should look for the tutorial folder in the scenario release's scripts\doc folder; part of it is going over general haloscript things (you might find something you didn't know in there!), but a big part of it is also detailing the system we're using to organize and process the source files

this is a huge simplification, but in essence, we split the scripts into a number of independent "components," each containing a main .hs file and then three .hsh header files. a system of preprocessor macros then processes these files into the huge .hsc mountains that are compiled into sapien. some python scripts also do some trimming and basic static analysis to keep filesize down and make sure the preprocessing went smoothly.

the .bat scripts ^handle all of this stuff. if the source .hs/h files are written correctly and your filesystem is organized correctly, then all you should have to do is run the appropriate .bat file for the scenario, and it'll take care of the rest.

you really should read all the documentation in both the scenario release and this bonus release if you're planning on working with the scripts. it seems like a lot at first, but that's what it takes to make something of this scale and quality! and it's much easier than trying to work through ugly processed X-thousand line .hsc garbage

now that the scripts & scenario source are out and anybody with a mind to could easily find it, i think it's safe to say now that the gold shredder doesn't appear until you've discovered and are well on your way up the secret path to its location, to prevent humorless debug camera cheaters from seeing it

Quote: --- Original message by: WWLinkMasterX
What am I missing/doing wrong???

from the level scripts...

Quote: ;; wait until player can see the magic, but nobody else can

(i'll do another run of the trial myself soon to make sure something didn't break in one of the patches. if it did and the trial has been rendered impossible somehow then i am truly sorry and will give you guys some sort of apology gift)
Edited by Ifafudafi on May 6, 2015 at 12:25 PM

hello halo friends!

I've just published quite a few old internal videos from TSC:E's development, which you can browse here. hopefully you will find them interesting! I think teh lag also has a few others on his channel if you're curious

Quote: --- Original message by: Moki
(Seeing as Noble is supposed to be more difficult than Legendary.)

is it?

Quote: --- Original message by: SS Flanker
Music cutting in and out

as best i know that's a custom edition (maybe even a HPC?) issue; I haven't been able to make music always switch to alt loops correctly with any amount of finagling and i did some pretty fancy stuff with music loops in tsce. happy to be proven wrong by somebody else though

Quote: Drop ships crash into mountains

that's probaly a corrupted extraction by hek+ (i.e. in the tag packs you downloaded). it messes with the physics on at least pelicans, possibly c_dropships as well

Quote: oh and also the whole a30 level doesn't play.

Quote: Certain voice messages from cortana not playing correctly or at all

these are (probably) script issues

if you want to learn then the best way would be to try and hunt down these issues and fix them yourself! a small primer on how to navigate:
-(script startup) scripts are run when the map starts
-(script dormant) scripts are woken with (wake my_script) and run concurrently alongside each other
-(script static <type>) scripts are ran with (my_script), and halt execution of the script from which they were called until completed. they are basically functions and can also return a value if you want
-halo updates at 30 ticks a second. each awakened script will execute as many commands as it can before the next frame starts until it hits (sleep <ticks>) or (sleep_until <condition>), where it will wait until the ticks expire or the condition is fulfilled, respectively

from that you should be able to figure out where the mission starts, and then where it leads and what it's doing. if you see something you understand in the stock scripts, add a comment line (semicolon opens a comment line, although for clarity's sake I prefer two, i.e.:)

;; wait until most of the aliens are dead
(sleep_until (< (ai_living_count first_encounter) 3))

at the risk of plugging in the wrong place: the tsce scenario & script source release (i hope it's coming by the end of today !! we'll see) will contain scripts for at least all h1 maps, along with a file on all hsc commands and their usage. we'll see about h2v scripts as well, although be warned those use a lot of more advanced haloscript features that aren't available in hce (I really wouldn't look at any h2+ scripts if you're trying to learn hsc for hce)
Edited by Ifafudafi on Apr 20, 2015 at 11:43 AM

Il_Duce_Primo?

Or an awesome portal generating maxscript?

I'm hoping it's both.

nope

every single portal manually placed via painstaking work mostly by siliconmaster (slashrat on this forum), the rest by teh lag. it's impossible to properly express how hard -- not to mention for how long -- those two worked at eliminating every last popping triangle in a map full of bsps way too big for their own good. (there are two bad spots we know of but most people don't seem to have found them, so whew)

i can't properly express the joy i felt when silicon handed me a freshly portalled security pit and suddenly i could see all of my particles

Quote: --- Original message by: Ubermaniac
The needler and shreddder do not compile. They always crash tool.

if you're throwing every single tag into a map at the same time, check your model data ("compressing vertex and index buffers...done XX.XXM") and make sure that you're not blowing past 48.00M. once you exceed that -- i'm not sure if the limit is different for .map vs .yelo? if so it might be even lower for the former -- tool will crash ^right before the output gets to "done"

if that's what's happening then it's nothing to do with any specific gun; you've just got too much stuff in a map. if that's not what's happening then you'll need to start introducing individual tags with the problem gun one at a time (copy a working weapon, add the model, compile; add the collision, compile; add the projectile, compile; if it's the projectile, copy a working projectile and add the model, compile; add the fx, compile; etc.) until you can narrow down exactly which tag is causing issues

unless you're just missing tags. i'm taking "crash" to mean EXCEPTION. (or unless you're trying to compile os tags with regular tool's build-cache-file, which definitely won't work)

God Those portals!

dude you wouldn't believe how

Quote: --- Original message by: Bizargh
words

After an extended period of most careful deliberation, my compatriots, and myself, have rapidly found ourselves at an unquestionably decisive point of consensus in regard to your inquiry. In all matters regarding the third-party proliferation and modification of the content distributed through releases CMT Evolved Tagset (2015), CMT B30 Evolved BSP Raw Data Release (2015), and the imminent distribution of tags used in construction of the The Silent Cartographer: Evolved scenario -- and all scripts produced for the same purpose -- any actions taken by the aforementioned third parties shall be considered wholly within acceptable boundaries of reasonable use, providing that the parties in question adhere to a solitary overriding rule:

"don't take credit for stuff you didn't do"

(ok i lied a bit; i didn't go ask the dozens of people who made some piece of content that this mod is using, for hopefully obvious reasons. credit the people who made what you're using and you're fine)

Quote: --- Original message by: Altearose

You guys forgot about the script that attach the shade ball and it's base and stuff about vehicle boost and boarding and lol I screwed https://youtu.be/Ke5RE02_w_U

I fixed it i just upload it for the lulz but anyway how about the script.
Edited by Altearose on Apr 14, 2015 at 11:38 AM

we didn't forget about it; all scripts will come with the next (and final) segment of the source release containing the scenario-specific files. we're holding all the scripts until then just in case the changes that've been made for the last patch expose errors and/or require changes in unexpected places

Quote: --- Original message by: The_Purrminator
Does this mean that I am also not allowed to use granades? 'Cuz I walked through the water for a long time, grabbed os to get past some people and used granades to try and kill an elite before I climbed onto the top of the map to avoid enemies and land here:
http://puu.sh/haZis/f60e8b6141.png
I'm two hundred percent sure that it's supposed to spawn here.

that's not the right place. a different gun spawns there.

once you are inserted into the lz on legendary, you have a precious couple of seconds to switch to a pistol. then the trial of the pistol begins.

if you switch to a different weapon at any time, you fail the trial.
if you enter a vehicle at any time, you fail the trial.
if you activate cheats at any time, you fail the trial.
(grenades are ok though)
there is one more component to the trial that is necessary to make the golden pistol appear. some of you have alredy discovered what this is.

it's probably no coincidence that the things not yet found are things that cannot be discovered by flying around aimlessly with the debug camera

(I didn't expect people to take these joke things so seriously. but I kind of enjoy how it's developed into a sort of postgame)

Quote: --- Original message by: killzone64
any more updates. i'm assuming you don't have the tagset ready yet?

The core tags (everything you'd need to build the map) are all basically ready to go, as are the scripts and bonus content. While there's one big bonus thing we're still shoring up, the only other thing that really needs doing is finishing some documentation on a few systems and elements, for the benefit of anybody who wants to poke at or learn from them.

The last thing we want to do is let ourselves get sucked back into a TSC:E development vortex until the end of time. For our sake as much as everyone else's, I'd expect at least the core tags to find their way up somewhere by the end of the weekend, unless something just goes terribly wrong.

Halo CE General Discussion » CMT RETURNS! New project and team details inside! Apr 7, 2015 10:12 PM (Total replies: 10716)

oh, of course there are many other things factoring into net killtimes in practical situations. I'm not sure I'd reach the same conclusions -- I'm not sure how the PR's overheat translates to reduced effectiveness vs. a specific material (especially Grunts/Jackals), and I'd also factor in the H1 AR's very significant error as a heavy limiter on its practical DPS in all but the most up-close situations, for example -- but I digress. I just want to make sure statements like

Quote: h2+ properties where plasma is just as effective bs flesh as bullets

Quote: Bullets will always do more damage to flesh than energy weapons

...don't get misinterpreted.

Halo CE General Discussion » CMT RETURNS! New project and team details inside! Apr 7, 2015 08:09 PM (Total replies: 10716)

Quote: --- Original message by: Masters1337
Shields. How is that even a question? We don't do any of that h2+ properties where plasma is just as effective bs flesh as bullets. Bullets will always do more damage to flesh than energy weapons, and energy will always do more to shield than health. With the exception of the PP vs cyborg shield and flesh, since the original game does the same damage regardless.

i think you're getting it backwards

http://i.imgur.com/moUVrTV.png
(the halo 1 values, although note that tool hackery changes that pistol vs elite shield to 0.8 during singleplayer compiles)

halo 2 introduced the 0.35x (!) modifier against cyborg/elite HP, which carried over to 3. reach/4 bumped it up to 0.4x.

it's never not been a consistent 1.0x vs grunts/jackals in any of the games.

for completion's sake: h2/3 brute HP was 0.5x for all _slow projectiles -- smg, pr, pp, ar, spiker, pistol -- while reach brutes bumped up to 1.0x
Edited by Ifafudafi on Apr 7, 2015 at 08:09 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Newb OS question Apr 5, 2015 11:34 PM (Total replies: 1)

ai_transforms_enabled is a global variable, not a script; you need to use set

(set ai_transforms_enabled true)

I'm pretty sure it's true by default though

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo 5 Locke Ad Mar 30, 2015 01:02 AM (Total replies: 40)

UNSC DREADNOUGHT "Bastion of Night"
SHI'LAKA SECTOR
SANGHEILI SPACE

A huge screen looks down upon planet Cain. Below it, pacing back and forth within the glow, is AGENT LOCKE.

"Whatfor troubles the human, Car'seth?," said an Sangheli standing by the door. "I do not know, but I dare suspect it pertains to... him." "Him?" said the Sangheili. "Yes..."

AGENT LOCKE suddenly stops. He banged on the table. "HOW?" How could he have known? That intel was Alphabravo level 9 classified material; only five people in the world even knew it existed. Five people and an AI. An AI who's long since been... No. It couldn't be.

"That's impossible," AGENT LOCKE muttered to himself. "It can't be." They'd sent agents to the wreckage to verify it themselves, and sure enough, it was nothing but a mess of metal scrap. What a waste of technology, the science officer had reported. We could have learned so much, if only things had been handled more... delicatly...

Now AGENT LOCKE was in charge. He wasn't going to let that happen again. But he hadn't expected this. Was it time already? The project isn't finished, but they might not have a choice...

He walked out of the room down to the cryo tubes. To think a heroe could have fallen this far... well, there's only one thing to be done. He types fast into the command console. Steam jets out of the cryo tube. AGENT LOCKE stands back and wipes the steam off his visor. As the figure emerges from the tube, he intones: "It's time. I've got a mission for you."

The Arbiter walks into the bridge and sees the huge screen. He zooms in, curious about what AGENT LOCKE was watching. Nothing so far... but movement to the right. He zooms in some more. Is it really? What is he doing? No... He wouldn't do that. He's a heroe.

But The Arbiter of all people knew how easy it is to be swayed by the path of evil. Perhaps it wasn't so impossible that even JOHN-117 THE MASTER CHIEF could succumb to its dark spell...

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo 5 Locke Ad Mar 30, 2015 12:12 AM (Total replies: 40)

IN THE DARKNESS OF SPACE, a new threat arises -- but it is borne not from the fringes of the galaxy, but from a place much closer to home...

It is the year 2XXX. Humanity looks back to the past, back to a world of heroes and villains. But this is the future, and the future is not so simple... after all, what does it mean, to be a heroe? The world wants an icon, a beacon of hope, a symbol of light; but does it really need a heroe? What happens when the heroe becomes indistinguishable from the villain?

All eyes fall on JOHN-117 THE MASTER CHIEF, representing humanity's best and brightest... but do we know the truth? A heroe, after all, is only a few steps away from a villain. The truth is never as simple as that. To find the truth, one has to look past the heroe, into the UNSC Master Chief himself. What does it mean to be JOHN-117? What does it mean to be The Master Chief?

The Master Chief is reeling from the loss of Cortana, his one true love. Long nights inch by as he longs for the touch of her digital finger. Is this what it means to be a heroe? To fight for the freedom of the galaxy, only to lose those about whom you care the most? Nobody really knows the sacrifices a heroe must make. Nobody can understand the horror and the pain.

"But we can make them understand." "Cortana, is that you?," said JOHN-117, clutching at the air. "John, I know how much you've sacrificed," he heard whispered through his Mk. VII O.R.C.A. subspace nanocommunications receptor. It couldn't be...

"They call me a heroe," said The Master Chief, "but I couldn't do anything to save you." The light of the campfire glints off his visor... a passerby might mistake it for a teardrop. "Am I really a heroe? If all my fighting only hurts the ones I love, aren't I really just a villain?" He didn't expect an answer. Master Chief didn't believe in ghosts.

"What does it matter what they think," came the whisper. "I know that the JOHN-117 I loved fought only for freedom and justice." "But they won't understand," said The Master Chief. "We can make them," came the whisper. "We can make them know the meaning of sacrifice. The meaning of what it means to be a heroe."

"You know what to do."

The Master Chief, JOHN-117, got up and shed his cloak. His path was now clear. The world is no longer a world of heroes and villains. It is a battle of grey vs. grey, and in that kind of world, what does it matter who you fight for? There was only one way to show the world what it meant to be a heroe -- and that was to show them what it meant to be a villain...

Quote: --- Original message by: UGoBoom
(Marine Plasma Pistol)... Shoots flood-gunk-like projectiles

you guys are adorable sometimes

Quote: --- Original message by: SilentBlade
Will there be a DMR among the source files as well.

at a minimum, every tag that is in tsc:e will be available in the source release

Quote: --- Original message by: austen1000

I'm wondering why you guys decided to make the Carbine (or Auto-Carbine) full auto?
Edited by austen1000 on Mar 14, 2015 at 07:17 PM

excellent

There are two things that are going into it.

Thing 1: I tried my best to give every gun an additional "secondary mechanic," which isn't necessary to make use of in order to kill guys, but significantly improves the weapon's effectiveness if applied. Examples include: Needler supercombine, BR vs. Grunt helmets, controlling AR accuracy, etc.

Thing 2: BR's ease-of-use and anti-Grunt-helmet aspects make it very suited to vs. light units. To retain a distinct advantage (and consequently maximize the amount of guns player wants/is likely to use), Carbine needs something that lets it out-do the BR in other compositions.

The solution was actually taken from a prototype Focus Rifle-alike whose DPS increased as the trigger was held. But -- not only did the prototype unfortunately come out too janky and buggy thanks to unsurmountable engine limitations, the loss of the very tactilly satisfying headshot carried too great a risk of making BR appear disproportionately attractive to players, who would then ignore any long-range gun other than the BR and wonder why it wasn't working in situations it wasn't meant to be optimal in. ("what happened to the prototype" stay tuned for the TSC:E source release!)

Instead, the same principle (increased damage by holding trigger on a target) was straightforwardly applied to the Carbine through rate-of-fire acceleration. This carries a much less significant advantage vs. the weak units (where the shots/kill is low enough that the accel doesn't really do anything), allowing BR to keep its own territory; but Brutes and particularly Elites -- who can eat a lot of shots -- can be taken down a good bit more quickly with effective Autocarbine usage, giving it more of a reason to exist.

Quote: --- Original message by: Zetren
What is Depth Fade in the F7 settings?

you may have seen this referred to in other engines as "soft particles." essentially, it causes particle instances to fade out as they intersect a surface (or the camera), rather than ending in a hard cutoff. for example:

on the left is with this disabled, on the right is enabled. it's a subtle effect when taken in isolation, but it really adds up when you have all this fire and smoke and etc floating in the air, I think

E: "how do I do this" the OS 4.0 adds an extension block to .particles and .particle_systems allowing you to specify the distance (in world units) over which this fade occurs
Edited by Ifafudafi on Mar 10, 2015 at 04:25 PM

Time: Wed July 1, 2015 12:53 PM 235 ms.
A Halo Maps Website