A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: rescue86k
About Contact
Last Post: Jun 14, 2012 02:37 AM
Interests: deliver fun to the halo community
Your Age: 24
What Games do you play: League of Legends- I'm "Wind Breakers" add me/ halo ce still the best
Frog blast the vent core! -Marathon IS Halo
Email: {hidden}

Post Statistics
rescue86k has contributed to 46 posts out of 469278 total posts (.01%) in 3,171 days (.01 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:

I wanted to get an estimate on how long it will take to make a map in Maya, textured, about the size of bloodgultch?

Here are some videos. They do not have much modeling detail as I'm capable of, but it should give you a picture of what I can do, right now anyway. I don't know how to apply normals.

2 weeks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyLGg2MYWKo

3 days
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=q4gFrahYZo8

My plan-

Determine if I should make a multiplayer map. First I need to know what a map needs for it to work in Halo CE.

I assume its more than just sculping a model, throwing on textures. Perhaps polygon limitations, converting all polygon into triangles.

With the experience I have now, according to the videos you see, how long do you project I could produce a quality multiplayer map?

If done, I would need someone (a pro) to layout the design. I've made multiplayer maps before, but lack proper design/functionality. Such as making "dead ends". I wanted to avoid this, by having someone else lead the design.

This is in the air right now, but can be put into action soon.

Kevin.

It's entertaining how long this thread has been rambling on for. Ai sync cannot happen. However the idea I suggested will work; in theory.

The purpose of this idea is to make a device activate on all computers at the same time. To do this, I would tell the device to activate when struck by a projectile. The device must be reset to it's default sooner than a player can start the game, run to it, and see it visibly. This means the device can't be destroyed, which would cause problems with new players joining the game.

For example imagine a loopy maze like map. Somewhere in the middle is a bridge device. It recedes when struck by any projectile, taking 10 seconds to do so. The bridge slowly extends back to it's original form, costing 10 more seconds. A player joins the game right after the bridge is hit by a grenade. This player's computer will recognize the bridge in it's default mode, extending across the lake when it's suppose to be activating. This player spends 30 seconds walking to the location. Textured walls block his view during this time. By the time he gets there, the bridge is back to it's default.

With all other players who have been in the game at this location, the bridge activates on each of their computers from the grenade. They watch Freddy fall to his death. Poor Freddy.
Edited by rescue86k on Feb 7, 2011 at 08:00 PM

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Dropship AI Jan 4, 2011 05:10 PM (Total replies: 15)

I've tried getting hunters in the dropships, never worked. Someone here might be able to help you with the jackal. Do jackals board dropships naturally?

The dropship wont appear if it is even slightly off the map. It needs to be placed anywhere you can already fly a banshee. Someone might have a work-around for this too. But to make things work, the dropship should be placed in flyable space. Bloodgulch is hard to place a dropship where it wont be seen by the player.

Wow, that takes care of a group of marines in one encounter? I did it the hard way: Make 32 encounters, 32 squads, 32 start positions, then script each one in. Took time ;( Grunts and Elites.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » A whole ai encounter and squad driving? Dec 27, 2010 04:13 PM (Total replies: 11)

I wouldn't disagree with mooseguy. Give it a try. Scripting units to magically enter a vehicle (entering seat names) can be done all at once. Mooseguys suggestion might work too, (i haven't tried it). All else fails, or your getting headaches, go with my solution. My solution deals with command lines in sapien, (get in vehicle within such radius).

;)

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » AI multiplayer sync solution- need script Dec 27, 2010 06:34 AM (Total replies: 35)

Make a map and a request for this object. Design the map for some amazing traps. I can't remember who it was but they said they will make scenery objects upon request.

I don't have any designs layed out yet, need to wait and see if anyone else see's a problem with this first. If not, well, would you like to shoot a button on the wall that opens a scorpion sized hatch leading to spikes? Shoot a button and a bridge opens up so you can cross, yet it reclines so you better hurry? There is so much this would add to multiplayer. I hope this is a solution.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » AI multiplayer sync solution- need script Dec 27, 2010 05:41 AM (Total replies: 35)

No I said the solution to that was set the spawns far away (11 seconds away) the log respawns every 10 seconds. That will never happen. Nothing will look or feel funny.

I mean really, if we can make this work, then the doors will open up to other clever trap devices, who knows what is in the creative minds of developers! So is there really no problem to this? I hope so!

EDIT
the player is 11 seconds away, so him drivng the warthog, or walking, takes 11 seconds to get to the log. And being a perfectionist the gap can be extended, so hes 13 seconds away, the log is 7 second respawn time.

The worst that will happen is the new player sees another player die from log, and log not do anything. THIS WILL HAPPEN 1 time. And only with 13 seconds of gameplay, ouch right? Out of his next 14 minutes of slayer. And traps.
Edited by rescue86k on Dec 27, 2010 at 05:46 AM

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » A whole ai encounter and squad driving? Dec 27, 2010 05:35 AM (Total replies: 11)

I have never made ai drive along a path. Not yet. Plan to.

However I will tell you something related which might be the answer your looking for.

If more than 1 ai is trying to enter a vehicle at a given time (other than scripting them to "magically" enter the vehicle) then the first ai will do the command, and the rest will ignore it, moving onto the next command, regardless of how many encounters you have them in.

The solution is to seperate your vehicles and ai. Make some wait around a bit. Then enter the vehicle.

Example:
Ai gunner1 of warthog1 starts imediately.
Ai driver1 waits 10 seconds, then enters warthog1.

Ai gunner2 is 10 world units apart from Ai gunner1 , searching for a warthog2, only 2 world units from him, he is searching for vehicles 3 world units apart, so that he doesn't even think about entering warthog1. That would be bad.

Make sure searching radius for vehicles to enter is less than the distance of a second warthog.

If all units plan to enter the warthog then make gunner go, passenger waits 10 seconds, then he goes, then driver waits 20 seconds, and he goes.

Don't let more than 1 unit enter at a given time ;) Hope I helped

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » AI multiplayer sync solution- need script Dec 27, 2010 04:39 AM (Total replies: 35)

Because people refuse to believe an ugly truth. Because of hope. Because we believe it's possible when it's not. We read, we hear, we don't listen. We see halo as a bunch of letters and numbers waiting to be released, or someone smart enough to manipulate it to our liking.

EDIT
Ok now your really going to think "OMG again?"

I know I know.

Here's another idea: When bullets hit an object such as the covenants field generater, (it pops). It appears to sync. Truly no objects sync in relevance to devices, or anything useful to make things fun right? Well a signal is sent to the server when that sheild pops(becuase of the syncing bullet), simulating a true sync. How about some destructive doors? How about a tied up log, shoot the rope, bullet hits, log falls with all clients, Splats the poor player. Log does not have it's own physics. It's a stationary device.

I'm going into map development and read up on this. I really think it will work if someone wants to make a such "triggered by bullet" trap device. Bullets sync. And send messages to all clients.

I'm thinking of only 2 problems:

-The new clients entering the game, will the fallen log appear in it's original state to them?
Solution: Log replenishes every 10 seconds. If you need to be a perfectionist, set log more than 10 seconds travel time from player spawns. By then its impossible, log will be reset, and all appear the same.

-The logs rope hp may not sync
Solution- Set it to 1! Or it doesnt have hp, it just triggers every 10 seconds if shot, only if shot, repetition of the log falling will not sync.

;) Common.. That's got to work. Covenant Field generaters are proof. Aren't they?

No one ever had ai in flash games, that didn't see through walls. I made that game. I understood why no-one did it, or could achieve it, they gave up.
Edited by rescue86k on Dec 27, 2010 at 05:04 AM
Edited by rescue86k on Dec 27, 2010 at 05:05 AM
Edited by rescue86k on Dec 27, 2010 at 05:07 AM

I'm going to use gmax since it's free and my concern is how to install Blitzkrieg for it, if they are compatible, or if I need a different plugin. Tutorials online tell me how to do it for 3ds Max, a program I'm not using. A simple question, just couldn't find the solution here or on google.

Kevin

Oh yes. Alot of scripting. Once you learn to script, it's not that hard (or you already know how, my bad).

-search halo ce script bible in google. This gives you the tools. Read tutorials on youtube and here, for learning how to script. Search specifically for what scripts you need. Then
come back and ask.

What you want to do:

-You need to script each driver and gunner of each vehicle to "magically" enter the vehicles. (instant effect)

-You need to script each vehicle to move along a path(i haven't learned to do this yet)

-You may want to script music to play (I attach .sound_loop files to scenery objects in guerilla (kornman002 hacked version) , place object in sapien, get close to it, it plays the loop(not all sound_loops work, have problems you'd have to fix to make them work). This is my favorite way to hear the full song, then when you decided you like it, you script it in (prefered; more control of when music plays)

-Script in a cutscene.

EDIT:
-you will be adding removing vehicles aswell!
-you might need to switch bsps when cutscene ends! never did this before

I ran across an error before where music wouldn't stop playing, so make sure your scripts for music is all together in the SAME .hsc file. Normally it's nice to separate your scripts, but halo ce is different in that respect. Less errors in a big block of code. Yet harder to find things ;)

Sorry no facebook or xfire, sometime I really need to get both of those. I'm too old school.
Edited by rescue86k on Dec 26, 2010 at 04:36 PM

Edit#2
You are undertaking a big project, new things to learn.
-Time management is number 1.
-Don't spend too much time on any 1 thing.
-Sometimes a good feature is not worth it, so find other neat things to put in
-Halo 2 & 3 vehicles wont give you the praise, as much as a fun map with no glitches or errors will.
-You don't have to be the best, you just have to do it, and finish it. That's the first person to success.

Edited by rescue86k on Dec 26, 2010 at 04:42 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Firefight Ideas Dec 26, 2010 03:58 PM (Total replies: 28)

Definition of "firefight" anyone? I assume it means a fight between 2 forces, which is too general.

How about definition of a "good firefight".
Edited by rescue86k on Dec 26, 2010 at 03:59 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » HALO WILL NOT FRGGEN RUN!!!! Dec 26, 2010 03:53 PM (Total replies: 7)

Seeing that it's all your games it must be the video card. Be sure it's detected on your computer (hardware connected). Then you google up the driver, (dxdiag will tell you the specific name). Update the driver with download. Follow ALL instructions provided. Drivers are real touchy subjects, doing it wrong, well, your experiencing it. I've been through it before.

It's all about having the "right" driver update. The latest sometimes is ment for certain computers and you shouldn't install them. This will be specified at the manufactures site.

Restarting a computer after the install is the usually must do.

Contact the manufacturer for help when it continues to fail. Google up installing drivers, and common issues. A messed up install such as hitting cancel during the install becuase it appears to do nothing, can really mess you up. The ultimate price you pay sometimes is reinstalling/repairing windows.

Retrace your steps with the last known setup you had that worked.

It's an ugly process, and most of us have run accross it before. This is the wrong place to ask for help (now) since it's happening to all your games. Hope I helped

Halo CE General Discussion » Flame Dec 26, 2010 03:15 PM (Total replies: 3)

Thank you.

Halo CE General Discussion » Flame Dec 26, 2010 02:23 PM (Total replies: 3)

I don't want to bother dennis. Does he approve screen shots prior to attaching them to the map?

I've tried uploading and still 0 screenshots.

Also christmas happens to be a wrong time to upload a map, 3 weeks into development and its not on the top 8, (12 uploads of just maps).

It's pretty regressing. I plan to make some custom vehicles, and a custom map, but with a community bashing me down, things may need to stay protected. My fault for letting an ego loose. Learned my lesson, your fault for bashing up a persons work.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Dropship AI Dec 23, 2010 07:03 PM (Total replies: 15)

I had serious problems with the phantom, it wouldnt shoot back, even when tweaking it to shoot like the c_dropship.

Also getting passengers aboard. I managed to get 4 passengers on the seat "passenger" but still, alot of glitches with tweaking the phantom, over half the time it wouldn't display the changes I made to improve it, then 3-5 play sessions later phantom shows passengers at -5 z. AAAAAAAHH.

Phantom wasted alot of my time. But it flies much better with recordings than the original c_dropship ;)

It's possible and worth it, if you can tweak it better than I have

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » AI multiplayer sync solution- need script Dec 22, 2010 10:31 PM (Total replies: 35)

he's right. at 30 sec mark, hard to see, but he runs up to same npc 10 seconds later, evidently npc hasn't moved or anything for at least 10 sec.

;(

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Dropship AI Dec 22, 2010 10:28 PM (Total replies: 15)

thankyou , you helped both of us ;)

First if its a cutscene don't bother filling the pelicans with passengers, its alot of work.

Yes it's possible, infact the cutscene in that video can be done, it may lag?? Depends on your computer.

I haven't hit the vehicle driving cap yet. I know you can have about 30 vs 30 max ground troops. But vehicles are different. Hmmm lets see. If the troops are just moving you can have 100-200 just moving. I've done it. But thats for a cutscene, if you pass the troop cap, ai stops fighting each other. (most anyway)

I currently have 27-31 vehicles driving around by ai at once, no problems.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Dropship AI Dec 22, 2010 06:24 AM (Total replies: 15)

Are you talking about the basics of loading the ship, unloading it, it flies off? or do you mean the stupid door flaps that sit open the whole time?

I can get dropships to come over the hills/etc and drop off troops, then fly off, but their doors stay open the whole time.

Time: Sun August 18, 2019 6:04 AM 187 ms.
A Halo Maps Website