A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: Kal
About Contact
Last Post: Sep 13, 2013 10:08 PM
Interests:
Your Age:
What Games do you play:

Post Statistics
Kal has contributed to 38 posts out of 469394 total posts (.01%) in 3,007 days (.01 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE General Discussion » Requiem - Extinction on Steroids Sep 13, 2013 10:08 PM (Total replies: 1627)

Quote: --- Original message by: CAG Gonzo
Quote: --- Original message by: Echo77
It's going to be around 2500 km (according to 3ds Max).

2,500... kilometers? Isn't the original Extinction only like, five kilometers across? o_O

Nice catch. I was thinking 2500 meters but also got caught up in kilometers, as that's how I'm used to seeing waypoints on maps like these.

Ahh, 2,500 meters sounds more realistic. 2,500 kilometers would be like Oregon Trail, but with air strikes instead of dysentary.

Do want. So tempting to drop into a massive, unrelenting scale-up fest to make this map so insanely huge your mind will explode. But you'll get quality air play in, including coordinating with your team to establish pilot, CSO, ABM, RPA, and other such roles, and using aircraft armed with enough ordnance to blow Halo up...thrice.

I'd play that.

I would so play that.
Edited by Kal on Sep 13, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Requiem - Extinction on Steroids Sep 11, 2013 04:58 PM (Total replies: 1627)

Good to see you're still working on this, Gonzo. It's great to see that kind of dedication.

(And yeah, Portent's a great map.)

Halo CE General Discussion » Requiem - Extinction on Steroids Feb 12, 2013 10:39 PM (Total replies: 1627)

You know what would be a really cool feature on this map? The seraph model from Reach, with the hinged tail.

Halo CE General Discussion » Requiem - Extinction on Steroids Dec 8, 2012 04:26 PM (Total replies: 1627)

Quote: --- Original message by: SilentJacket

Some updates on the Nebula:

http://s14.postimage.org/5ywgwup6p/nebulrawr.png

http://s14.postimage.org/fkq1d5gch/nebulrawr2.png

wrong nose design for the aircraft--the nose design is for a supersonic jet, you jet in-game will hopefully be considerably slower
Edited by SilentJacket on Dec 8, 2012 at 12:24 PM

I don't know, this map seems like it's gonna be pretty huge...

Halo CE General Discussion » Requiem - Extinction on Steroids Nov 15, 2012 01:43 PM (Total replies: 1627)

Fret not! For I shall do my best to balance vehicle and player combat for a more realistic experience.

I actually tried making my own fighter. It was gonna be amazing...a chin mounted Gatling gun (A-10 style), several hardpoints for bombs and pod-launched rockets, and flight characteristics similar to the Pelican (though if I re-attempt it, it would be more like a replacement for the F-18 thingy). It was based off of a model in a model pack I got from turbosquid.com. The Earth force pack, I think. It has 4 aircraft. Unfortunately, my work was lost when my hard drive sizzled over 3 years ago.

If I reattempt the design the tags would be publicly available immediately.

Woah, what? You didn't lose anything else related to the map, I hope?

Halo CE General Discussion » Requiem - Extinction on Steroids Nov 4, 2012 08:16 PM (Total replies: 1627)

I think he's already established most of the flaws inherent to the original Extinction on previous pages.

He is correct. Please see the first page for more information. Also, let me just go ahead and say a few things:

All vehicles will be effective at some things and ineffective at others. Same with weapons. Obviously one jet isn't going to be good against a Scarab, nor will one Pelican. But several just might...

If I add in something powerful, like homing missiles, powerful Gatling guns, never-ending rockets, nukespam, or anything else, you can bet there will be a way to counter it. I hated all-powerful Longswords who nukespammed, or Pelicans who wouldn't die (except for me, of course). I want a balanced gameplay experience.

There will be well-placed teleporters for easy travel.

I understand a map not much smaller than Extinction stands a chance at a lot of lulls between combat. That is inherent with big maps, unfortunately. The only solution is a smaller map or more players and only one of those options is possible. With all the vehicles and teleporters I would imagine it wouldn't be too hard to encounter people in a decently populated game. But we'll see. Playtests will reveal all.

actually, one pelican is effective against a scarab, you just hover underneath it and fire rockets at its underside

Or, you can fly under it and flip it.

Halo CE General Discussion » Requiem - Extinction on Steroids Nov 3, 2012 08:54 PM (Total replies: 1627)

You know, it's really too bad that CE can only support 16 players at a time. With 32 or even 64 people (If that many people are even playing CE at a time) these huge maps could really get hectic.

Halo CE General Discussion » Role-Playing is gone? Aug 8, 2012 01:01 AM (Total replies: 90)

Quote: --- Original message by: Bungie LLC
I miss 2005. RPing was considered a regular practice. And your audience was not a load of clueless children.

I... am going to have to disagree.

Halo CE General Discussion » Requiem - Extinction on Steroids Aug 6, 2012 07:35 PM (Total replies: 1627)

the bridge from gephyrophobia would look epic here.

Man, this post really just gave me a sense of how huge this map is. This map is so gigantic that the main feature of the second-biggest stock map in the game would be a cool addition.

Halo CE General Discussion » Requiem - Extinction on Steroids Jul 29, 2012 11:50 PM (Total replies: 1627)

If you're going to include stationary guns, be sure to make them tough. Remember that, on Extinction, a single sniper with the default rifle can kill the Covenant stationary gun in a few shots.

Quote: --- Original message by: abkarch
because half the people dont know how to get them.

Perhaps there should be a program that automatically downloads, extracts, and installs maps, and thats the only way to obtain them from the halomaps server. so theres less confusion.

But i dont see that happening.

So, bring CE up to the standards of every other shooter since Half-Life?

Geez, that's it? I bet for smooth gameplay it's more than that, but still, that's pretty minimal. It seems like somebody could take an old-ish computer and hook it up easily.

I think that what we need to do to get people to play custom maps is go into those servers running stock maps (Such as the 12+ servers running Blood Gulch that are ALWAYS full) and tell people about this site and custom maps/servers. It might be a good idea to contact some of the servers' admins to see if they might put something like it in the server banner/autotalk, so we don't have to do it manually.

Other than that, I think that a good way to get people into servers running custom maps would be to have them cycle some stock maps (Maybe even blood gulch, as much as I hate that map) and some of the customs that everyone already has (Coldsnap, hugeass, extinction, snow grove... ambush and immure too, I guess) and mix in some other maps too, so people will be encouraged to download them, thereby increasing their play.

People get lured in by blood gulch or whatever, and when they're kicked due to not having the new map they download the new one or figure out how to get new ones if they don't know how.

Some map suggestions:
Blood_Creek_rc1 and rc2
Downflow
Chronopolis
New Mombassa Classic
Yoyorast_v2
Church
cmt_fragment v3
Dark (Would make a great zombies map)
Fission_Point
Launch Bay
Launch Bay X (Pretty different from Launch Bay)
Portent
Sciophobia

Halo CE General Discussion » Extinction Revamp Team Jun 18, 2012 05:58 AM (Total replies: 161)

For your convenience, I've written up a big post containing my thoughts on huge-map game play here: http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=33513&start=1018

For stuff not mentioned there, some other thoughts on ideas brought up in this thread: Seraphs can bring down Longswords, the trick is to sneak up on them and loosen them up with the primary fire before using the secondary when you're close enough for them both to hit. It can be tricky, but it's not impossible.
Also, please don't make vehicles with the intent of them only being useful in large numbers, because I find that teamwork in CE is pretty much nonexistent.
As well, (And I'm sure this is going to be unpopular) both the Scarab and the Mythos need some kind of buff to deal with close-range attackers (And by close-range I mean basically anything within a kilometer of the vehicle or behind it).
I also hear some mention of new ground vehicles; I think it could be a good idea to make something that's fast and small or otherwise stealthy, for sneaky flag capturing. Perhaps it could have some kind of cloaking ability like the Wraith on Downflow, or the Tachikoma on Hugeass. I personally think that the Bulldog might be a good candidate for this for the human vehicle, and maybe a Ghost for the Covenant analogue.

Halo CE General Discussion » Extinction v2.0 (Suggestion) Jun 18, 2012 04:54 AM (Total replies: 48)

Quote: --- Original message by: Kal

For that matter, don't even attack people on the ground from the air unless they attack you first.

This is nonsense. The people on the ground have 20mm rifles and SAM launchers, both of which are capable of downing aircraft with a single well-placed shot. They should be eliminated pre-emptively when at all possible in order to minimize friendly casualties.

Here's the thing though: Unless they're using an aimbot, (In which case, if that's been confirmed via sightjacker, you should abuse them whenever possible) most people aren't really good enough to shoot down aircraft with a single shot. You might get that with a seraph or a jet or something, but with anything else it's going to take at least a few shots, giving you time for evasive maneuvers.

If someone is sitting stationary somewhere and sniping, then yeah, attack them, but if someone's minding their own business walking somewhere (Or, you know, spawning) then killing them is really just a cheap shot. If they're on the ground and they don't even know you're there, then I say killing them is basically the same as spawn killing.

Halo CE General Discussion » Extinction v2.0 (Suggestion) Jun 18, 2012 03:44 AM (Total replies: 48)

Quote: --- Original message by: Delicon20
protip 1: fix the spawns

I once got 7 kills with a longsword bomb on the spawn. the surviving enemy that escaped was quickly shot down from his seraph by yours truly as well

never saw so many "0.0"'s in one ingame chat log before

Here's an idea: Don't spawncamp. For that matter, don't even attack people on the ground from the air unless they attack you first.

Halo CE General Discussion » Role-Playing is gone? Jun 18, 2012 01:52 AM (Total replies: 90)

I used to "lead" an RP "clan" back in the day, and I can give you a lot of reasons why nobody RP's in CE anymore: The netcode is awful, there's only the two available teams, you can't have players from multiple teams in vehicles (Meaning that everybody has to be on the same team if you want it to work, and that leads to even more problems) you can only enter so much text at once, there's no voice chat, AI doesn't sync so you either have to either have some people on the other team as the enemies or simply imagine them, you can't really use server-side mods to edit stuff meaning that you have to rely on the map makers to make the whole thing workable (Which, unless you're working with the map maker or making the map yourself for your purposes, rarely fully works out), you can only have a maximum of 16 people (Which limits your ability to have players as enemies), people tend to spawn at pretty much random locations across the map meaning that people have to go and pick them up whenever they join, maps are often glitchy leading to even more player-fetching, and apparently 90% of the CE player base is out to ruin the whole thing.

Tl;dr, with GMod (Or for that matter tabletop games, or MMO's, or even newer halo games) available, there's really no point in using CE.
Edited by Kal on Jun 18, 2012 at 01:55 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Requiem - Extinction on Steroids Mar 10, 2012 02:18 AM (Total replies: 1627)

What the f-

Seriously? I was being figurative, jesus christ.

Halo CE General Discussion » Requiem - Extinction on Steroids Mar 8, 2012 02:53 PM (Total replies: 1627)

Well, don't get discouraged, Gonzo. There's no such thing as an insurmountable obstacle. Just keep working at it, and don't be afraid to ask for help. Try the 3DSMax support forums or some other modeling community if you think you can't figure it out on your own.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » new islandy map. needs criticism Feb 13, 2012 09:54 PM (Total replies: 111)

Exactly.

Time: Tue October 22, 2019 10:07 PM 594 ms.
A Halo Maps Website