A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: porottaja
About Contact
Last Post: May 23, 2013 01:17 PM
Interests:
Your Age: 18
What Games do you play:

Post Statistics
porottaja has contributed to 26 posts out of 469767 total posts (.01%) in 3,123 days (.01 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE General Discussion » Super Campaign Refined Release May 23, 2013 01:17 PM (Total replies: 28)

Quote: --- Original message by: Rosanna Weyland
Quote: --- Original message by: porottaja
UNSC has no boats?

But they do.

Quote: --- Original message by: OrangeJuice
yup, there's a Halo 3 DL map with a dock and a carrier in the background

Let me elaborate then: UNSC Marine Corps that were on Installation 04 had no boats.

Halo CE General Discussion » Super Campaign Refined Release May 23, 2013 05:59 AM (Total replies: 28)

Quote: --- Original message by: Storm
I'll be honest... I am disappointed.

When I saw "Super Campaign Refined", I expected to decent graphics and excellent gameplay. I only found standard CE graphics, and OP'd gameplay.

To start off:
- Allies (spartans) are invincibru
- "Skirmishers" have a bad animation. Their legs don't move fast enough to compensate for their speed.
- You have FRG grunts in the first battle? First?! And a bloody banshee?
- Shielded grunts? Elite Ultras with PRs firing faster than Darth Vader force choking an insubordinate?
- Extra turrets?
- Why do the AI get custom rifles and we don't? :c

All in all, I rate this a 3.5/10. Mainly as it seemed to be just chucked together over the course of a week or two.

First of all, thanks for the feedback. I assume you only played b30. As for the things you addressed:

This mod isn't supposed to touch the graphics at all. The description/readme says it expands and refines the gameplay.

The first battle doesn't have FRG grunts. The first battle of b30 does. Why would Covenant not have AA defence on island containing critical intel and that is most likely going to be attack via air because UNSC has no boats? Thus turrets, FRG and banshees.

Grunt Ultras and Commanders have shields indeed, they are super weak though.

As name implies, Plasma Storm unleashes a hail of plasma, but of course the bolts aren't as strong as the normal PR bolts.

In b30, there is actually two custom UNSC weapons. Plus it is the first level of with RL.
Edited by porottaja on May 23, 2013 at 06:01 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Super Campaign Refined Release May 23, 2013 03:01 AM (Total replies: 28)

Quote: --- Original message by: Invader Veex
I wrote a long elaborate review in the past 45 minutes. However after submitting it dissapeared because I took too long.

So basically to sum it all up, the marines are invincible spartans with different assault rifles with a seemingly weak pistol projectile, the skirmishers are glitchy as hell and not fun to fight, there are new weapons some boring some interesting, new hunter with new gun, sheilded grunt, elite ultras with golden fast plasma rifles. and ghosts, turrets and banshees. I died a lot around the corner on the warthog. I only made it past skirmishers because I had deathless on. I have pictures of most of this on my xfire (really dont feel like posting all those again).
4/10 on fun experience
It's a rough concept, definetly not a refined version of Bungie's campaign.

...To sum up the best review I ever made. :'(

Thanks for the review. Could you elaborate on how Skirmishers are glitchy? And what are the level(s) you played?

And what is your Xfire? I'd really like to check them out, even if you don't feel like posting them here again.
Edited by porottaja on May 23, 2013 at 03:08 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Super Campaign Refined Release May 22, 2013 06:08 AM (Total replies: 28)

Quote: --- Original message by: StormUndBlackbird
But for the unaware, they don't want to Google out info or such. They want to download it and play it, but the lack of description is really troublesome :/

EDIT: Not really hatin' on SCR though (going to download it all), I just think you'll achieve more downloads if the description would show a bit more stuff :P

Well, I have noticed that many people won't bother reading a wall of text so I tried to keep it short and simple and let the player experience what is to come by themselves.

Halo CE General Discussion » Super Campaign Refined Release May 22, 2013 05:40 AM (Total replies: 28)

Quote: --- Original message by: StormUndBlackbird
Well to start, what do we expect to see in such a mod? I know there are a ton of videos featuring SCR's weapon tags, but for the unaware, the description isn't really much due to the cover images being as "bland" as the normal campaign was.

Well, I wrote quite a bit about the mod here already, so I didn't feel like copy-pasting it here as well.

Halo CE General Discussion » Super Campaign Refined Release May 22, 2013 05:12 AM (Total replies: 28)

So my campaign mod now got released.

I would much like feedback on it.

Maps are here:
A10 Super Campaign Refined
A30 Super Campaign Refined
A50 Super Campaign Refined
B30 Super Campaign Refined
B40 Super Campaign Refined
C10 Super Campaign Refined
C20 missing because reasons.
C40 Super Campaign Refined
D20 Super Campaign Refined
D40 Super Campaign Refined

For more information about the mod, go here.
Edited by porottaja on May 23, 2013 at 01:19 PM

I had that problem too, but when I replaced my c_dropship.physics tag with a clean backup one, the animations worked perfectly fine.

Halo CE General Discussion » FTP file trasfer not working Apr 6, 2013 06:33 AM (Total replies: 12)

Quote: --- Original message by: DSalimander
http://imageshack.us/a/img209/8739/dennisisafag.jpg

Got this same message.

Disabled Windows Firewall and it worked again.

Halo CE General Discussion » FTP file trasfer not working Apr 5, 2013 10:31 AM (Total replies: 12)

Is the FTP file transfer on the site down?

Halo CE General Discussion » [WIP] Super Campaign Refined Mar 5, 2013 12:26 PM (Total replies: 33)

The Blue flood doesn't even have cudemap like normal flood.

I have edited Juggernaut's rubber parts to be more flood-y.

Plasma SMG has been renamed Plasma Storm.

Edit the 2nd of April:

White Death and Am-gun are edited quite much to better distinguish them from Sniper rifle and Needler.

White Death now has only 6x zoom and no reticle when unzoomed.

Am-gun needs only 4 needles to supercombine, supercombine instantly kills most weaker enemies, not as good against Elite shields as normal needler. Has lower rate of fire.

Also, map are in progress of final beta testings. Release is to be expected rather soon.
Edited by porottaja on Apr 2, 2013 at 09:31 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » [WIP] Super Campaign Refined Mar 3, 2013 11:20 AM (Total replies: 33)

Yes, still working on this.

Here is my first attempts of Flood Giant and Juggernaut bitmaps, with the vanilla version next to them for comparison:

Halo CE General Discussion » [WIP] Super Campaign Refined Nov 23, 2012 06:49 AM (Total replies: 33)

Quote: --- Original message by: Rododo
About Hunters... their armor is just blue! It's metal, can a Flood infect meta and their goddarn shields...? Come on, if the flood is INSIDE the armor, it is inside, not around! About weapons, I would not know, since I haven't tried any of them yet. But the mach thing... Floods DO NOT use vehicles, unless you make 3rd person custom animation for them to use, or import them from H2, which I don't even know if it is possible. So this would make that mach quite useless. It can kill a hunter-flood with one shot, that's allright (even though I'd not agree with that... snipy weapons are useless against floods, because they deliver a massive shock concentrated in a little point to destroy vital organs.... but Floods don't have vital organs!) but since they are very slow, even a rocket launcher may be good for that purpose, thanks to the area damage effect. It could be a good weapon against covenant, not floods.

I know, those bitmaps that you currently see on that Flood Hunter are PLACEHOLDERS. I am going to actually make a good bitmap for it.

And where did you pull "mach" and Flood using vehicles form?

Halo CE General Discussion » [WIP] Super Campaign Refined Nov 23, 2012 03:57 AM (Total replies: 33)

I really appreciate your versatile critique master noob. Unfortunately you can't obviously get the full picture of how these weapons work in my sandbox because you haven't played with them. (<- isn't meant to be offensive at all )

Quote: --- Original message by: master noob
assault SMG really has no place, since a silenced AR is just about as useful as a normal AR. even though it's silenced, the fact that you have to be mid-to-short range from an enemy means that the instant you hit said enemy is the moment you lose the element of suprise. a silenced sniper rifle or headshot-capable weapon would be more suited to the job, because if you can kill an enemy instantly with a silenced weapon, they won't alert their allies with "hey! I'm being shot at!"

Actually enemy AI can't hear each other's screams and if you keep firing at the enemy they keep pinging and ultimate die silently. Silencer is more like extra to the main idea I have with this weapon anyways. Normal AR has effective range of a shotgun. This weapon has higher RoF and accuracy at the cost of some damage per bullet. Which actually does make it effective weapon even at medium to medium-long ranges.

the mini MAC is still considerably underpowered, given that it is a high damage weapon with little ammo and almost no AoE/splash damage. yes, it would be effective against vehicles, but that's just about all it can do; unless the campaign features a ton of vehicles, such a weapon would fall off really quickly as other methods(grenades, shooting, plasma) are much more effective than firing 2 shots and retreating with low shields.

why would I want a mini-MAC over a rocket launcher? they both shoot 2 rockets, they both are anti vehicular weapons, but the rocket launcher, even though it has slower rockets, has large damage and splash area, making it an ideal anti-vehicle and anti-infantry, as opposed to the mini-MAC's vehicle-specific purpose. the mini-MAC also does self damage, making you vulnerable against said vehicles should both rockets not make their mark. if I needed to take out a vehicle while at full health/shield, then yes, I would switch out for a mini-MAC, but after the battle it is a very poor choice for any other type of encounter, so switching back would require no hesitation.

You still underestimate the power of Mini-MAC. I was afraid this weapon would be overpowered! It isn't meant to kill large groups of enemies. It is meant to eliminate big targets with one shot. On Heroic, everything dies from one shot. On Legendary everything dies from one direct impact, only Wraiths sometimes take 2 shots. Isn't it like 3 rockets to kill Elite Zealot on Legendary? Also, hitting fast moving targets like Ghosts or Banshees from a distance with rockets is really difficult. With Mini-MAC and sniper-speed slugs the problem is removed.

same with the beam pistol; yes, it is powerful. yes, it has explosives. but why use it in place of a different weapon? the killer has about the same damage, but it fires faster; a simple toss of a plasma grenade can kill an enemy in one shot as opposed to 3, and destroys vehicles easier due to it's sticky nature.

Beam Pistol is more like sniper than Killer is. It has 8x zoom so you can shoot targets from far greater ranges than Killer or Plasma Grenades. And obviously Plasma Grenades don't home in on vehicles.

if the plasma SMG is meant to drain shields so fast, would it not be much quicker and efficient to use the plasma pistol's 1-second charge up time (charging before the battle, even) and homing blast to quickly, accurately and effectively take out someone's shield? the inaccuracy of the plasma SMG, paired with the overheat and the sheer amount of bullets and time it takes to reduce the shield of one elite make the plasma pistol a much better choice, especially since the plasma pistol is good at taking out shields AND health.

Plasma SMG is actually really accurate unless you keep the trigger down for long periods fo time and it has fast bolts. It is meant to be a viable alternative to PP overcharge, as the bolts really tear through shilelds.

as for the AM gun, the whole idea of grunts is to be fodder and distractions (often turret pilots) so other units can last longer. considering the amount of grunts that group up and the sped-up needles that deal twice as much damage, the campaign is going to be practically impossible should grunts ever use such a weapon. it's like firefight; descent's grunt fun level, where all grunts had insta-kill FRGs and plenty of them around, requiring the player to hide behind cover and snipe them individually or dodging a ton of fire(which is not fun, mind you).

I know how to balance SP. It is not like half of the grunts use this weapon. There is some Grunts that sometimes use it and the glow AM-gun emits gives them away so you can prepare.

while making weapons, you should ask yourself "why would I want this weapon over a different weapon?" for example, why would I want a plasma rifle over an assault rifle? it is situation-based question; if there are unshielded foes, the assault rifle is preferable as it chews through enemies easily. but if there are shielded enemies, the plasma rifle is the better choice to make easy work of their shields faster than an assault rifle while still doing enough damage for the kill.

And this exactly is my goal as I said before. Not to make complete new weapons but alternatives for different scenarios. You also have to consider how enemy and ally AI use these weapons agaisnt you and what role they fill in for them to use too.

Quote: --- Original message by: nihao123456ftw
I swear i've played a map before that had those weapons in it and the killer was extremely overpowered

My Lacadaemon Chapter 1 I guess. But that is old work and lackluster of me creating my first custom SP map.

Quote: --- Original message by: SilentJacket
I think you should have custom models for your weapons, so
1) you can tell them a part
2) make it obvious that you put a lot of effort into this map (as opposed to just re-skinning existing assets and recycling encounters)

Sorry, but the point of this mod is to look like Halo, I try to use as few custom models as possible and try to choose ones that fall within this with those that I use. And I much rather put my effort in the gameplay side. Like testing and editing the sandbox with all the new AI and weapons and encounters. That really takes time to perfect and in my opinion is the most important aspect in a game or in a mod.

Quote: --- Original message by: licon4812
when will it comeout

When I get is finished. There are things you don't want to rush. Releasing incomplete mods that aren't refined and tested enough for the sake of releasing them quickly is not a good thing.
Edited by porottaja on Nov 23, 2012 at 04:09 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » [WIP] Super Campaign Refined Nov 22, 2012 04:55 PM (Total replies: 33)

Quote: --- Original message by: Rododo
that sounds good. Need to improve: you must not reskin the armor of the hunters... If floods use it, they can make it dirty, but not completely brown. And maybe you could make their walking more zombish, you know, but that's a good idea.

Not reskin for the Flood Hunter one? Why? Do you like the crappy placeholder I am using right now?

these weapon ideas are, no offense, kinda bad.

assault SMG is just a silenced assault rifle with scope
killer is stupidly overpowered and no one will use any other weapon
white death is essentially the same as the sniper rifle, only with 1 extra bullet
mini-MAC is an underpowered white death with self-damage, less ammo, and AoE damage. white death is a better version of this weapon.
beam pistol is very underpowered compared to the killer with a smaller rate of fire and a weak bomb that has a long cooldown due to the overheat.
Plasma SMG is a sped up plasma rifle
AM-gun is a needler with faster projectiles and an extra damage effect.

you should make weapons that have different attributes than their predecessors, such as an assault rifle with a 6 barrel grenade launcher (grenades bounce and explode) or a plasma weapon that shoots a constant stream of homing plasma with little damage but more time before the weapon overheats. stuff like that. basically, all I'm saying is that these weapons of yours aren't so much custom as they are modified.

Yeah well, they are supposed to be replacements for different playstyles rather than complete new weapons.

Assault SMG is more accurate and thus better at medium range, but up close Assault rifle is better.

Killer is compromise between Pistol and Sniper rifle, but I too feel it still is quite overpowered at the moment.

White Death has lower Rof and recoil but it does a bit more damage than sniper rifle to reward efficent players.

Mini-MAC is nothing like White Death by the way. It is more like Spartan Laser with no charge time. It pretty much one-shots or two-shots all enemies even on Legendary, including Wraiths, Hunters and Elite Zealots.

Beam pistol is actually as poweful as Killer is and the overcharge is primarily meant for anti-vehicular battle. Homing in and explosive power really do well against Ghosts and Warthogs.

Plasma SMG drains shields way faster than Plasma Rifle, but kill unshielded enemies painfully slow compared to it. Again, different playstyle choices. Maybe use this instead of Noob-combo to deal with Elites?

AM-gun is really close to Needler, I can agree on that. The weapon fills a role in the story and also to actually make you fear against Covenent. It can turn a fodder Grunt into killing machine if you are not careful.
Edited by porottaja on Nov 22, 2012 at 05:12 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » [WIP] Super Campaign Refined Nov 22, 2012 04:17 PM (Total replies: 33)

Here is videos of all the custom weapons:

Assault SMG

Killer

White Death

Mini-MAC

Beam Pistol

Plasma SMG

AM-gun

Halo CE General Discussion » Script camera_set_first_person acts like WTF?? Nov 22, 2012 10:20 AM (Total replies: 10)

I believe you need to use (camera_control 1) before (camera_set_first_person elite) to make it actually take the camera there.

And the command camera_set_first_person makes the biped invisible to make sure none of the first-person biped is shown.

This obviously won't help you achieve your goal, but at least you know why that wouldn't work. :)

Halo CE General Discussion » Campaign corrupted scripts and animations. Nov 17, 2012 04:38 PM (Total replies: 17)

For the dropship and pelican problem, try replacing their .physics tags with backups.

Halo CE General Discussion » [WIP] Super Campaign Refined Nov 17, 2012 03:06 PM (Total replies: 33)

Quote: --- Original message by: waffles
Re-skins have always been fun

Then too bad that this is complete opposite of a re-skin. :P

Halo CE General Discussion » [WIP] Super Campaign Refined Nov 17, 2012 02:51 PM (Total replies: 33)

you should also dim down the flood elites' armor, maybe add some detail to them. green flood would be more fitting than blue flood, and the dark jackals could do with some arm fixing :P

I mimiced normal elite shaders to create ones that look like them on the flood models. And Champions are blue because flood=water, which is assosiated with the color blue.

And do you mean Skirmishers with "dark jackals"?

Quote: --- Original message by: Echo77

The "Skirmishers" look pretty good, I think, and the idea of a Flood-infected Spartan is an interesting concept, but Hunters can't be assimilated due to their lack of a central nervous system.

If you want a "heavy" Flood, though, you could perhaps reskin a Brute.
Edited by Echo77 on Nov 17, 2012 at 02:46 PM

Those "Flood Spartans" and "Flood Hunters" are the Protoforms. They are not infected, the flood is just using their empty armor as exoskeleton.

Halo CE General Discussion » [WIP] Super Campaign Refined Nov 17, 2012 02:17 PM (Total replies: 33)

flood hunter and flood chief look dumb, just retexture them instead of borrowing the preexisting flood materials.

The textures are placeholders for now.
Edited by porottaja on Nov 17, 2012 at 02:17 PM

Time: Thu February 20, 2020 10:31 AM 203 ms.
A Halo Maps Website