A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: Quirel
About Contact
Last Post: Aug 25, 2011 12:38 AM
Interests: Writing, modding
Your Age: Older than you'd think.
What Games do you play: Halo, Reach, ODST, Mass Effect...
Not Never But Now!
Email: {hidden}

Post Statistics
Quirel has contributed to 5 posts out of 469343 total posts (0.00%) in 2,951 days (0.00 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE General Discussion » Recursion Studios [Recruiting] Aug 25, 2011 12:38 AM (Total replies: 19)

Gah.
Thanks for the correction.

Halo CE General Discussion » Recursion Studios [Recruiting] Aug 24, 2011 11:27 PM (Total replies: 19)

Quote: --- Original message by: MatthewDratt

Hmmm recruiting *reads join date*... *sigh*

If you want to get some respect around here in this crappy community (yes Im part of the crap) then you need to show some previous work and prove yourself first.

Yes. Going through some of the threads here, I got the feeling this was that kind of forum.
No problems. That's what me and a bunch of other guys turned the Halo Wars Forums into, back in the day.

I've asked one of our modelers, Cyrusepion, to get screenies of the Warthog and the Marine he's been working on. Aside from that, all I have to offer is concept art done by Ringleader from Halo: Starside Intercept.

Quote: Also Halo Wars was a good game, everyone just says it sucked because its not a rush gernade spamming fps. As a console RTS it's one of the best.
Edited by MatthewDratt on Aug 23, 2011 at 09:19 PM

Quite wrong.
It came out in 2009. Visually, the graphics were on par with WarCraft III. Storywise, the campaign would have been a hit on Fanfiction.net, but nothing spectacular. As far as gameplay goes, it had the tactical depth of the typical Tower Defense flash game.

Yes, it was one of the better console RTSs. Unfortunately, since console RTSs are almost universally butchered shadows of what an RTS should be, that's not saying much.

At least it was addicting. Again, like a flash game.
Quote: --- Original message by: Tiel
Something tells me you didn't actually read the OP. If I'm understanding this he's looking for people who model for halo since he's making a mod of said game for Company of Heroes, and the models 'round here are lowpoly enough for CoH.

That's one of the reasons I came through here. I figured that, with a community this old and still this active, there had to be a lot of experience around here.
Also, I had a friend who used to hang out here. Guy named L0d3x, quiet kind of person, think he was working on Lumoria last I heard.

Quote: --- Original message by: TielAlthough yeah, some pics would be cool.

*Cracks knuckles*
Well, we've got a Marine, and the Warthog and Scorpion are WIP. It's not a lot, because this is a pretty new mod.
I can assure you, though, we've got some talent and we are ready to go the distance. One of our modelers is the guy behind Halo: Starside Intercept.

Quote: --- Original message by: TielI disagree with you on Halo Wars. There was an awesome Halo mod for CnC Generals in the works but MS shut it down,

Halogen.
There was another one, a DoW mod called "Retreat & Retaliation". Essentially, all they had were ripped models. Nothing impressive.

Quote: --- Original message by: Tiel and on top of that RTS on consoles is terribad. I've never actually played the game due to my hate of Xboxes, but I've seen a few gameplay videos and a ton of reviews.

Heh. If you like the simpler Tower Defense games, you'll like Halo Wars.

Quote: It's relatively easy to set the standard when there are few games in your class.

That's about the long and the short of it.

Quote: --- Original message by: Tiel
MS shut down many fanmade rts teams when they were making Halo Wars, for they didn't want to be outclassed by traditional strategy.

More or less.

Quote: --- Original message by: TielIt's not forbidden, you've seen Halo assets in several game engines nowadays, it's only when MS decides its Halo game indev is bad compared to fanwork they start shutting things down.

To my knowledge, there's currently two serious attempts at a ground-based RTS, using the Command & Conquer engine and the Star Wars: Forces of Corruption mod engine. Neither has been given a C&D letter.

Though, every time I bring this up, somebody asks about Halogen. It really impacted the community.
Edited by Quirel on Aug 25, 2011 at 12:37 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Recursion Studios [Recruiting] Aug 23, 2011 08:38 PM (Total replies: 19)

Quote: --- Original message by: XlzQwerty1
Halo Wars.

You will note that I said "Real Time Strategy", not "Rush, Tech, Spam."

Halo CE General Discussion » Recursion Studios [Recruiting] Aug 23, 2011 07:26 PM (Total replies: 19)

Quote: --- Original message by: YakZSmelk
Is this a studio or a modding team? If it's a studio what's the pay and where are you guys located?

Har har.
It's a mod team, but "Recursion Studios" sounds a hell of a lot better than "Recursion Mod Team".

Quote: --- Original message by: kirby_422
I am a bit confused
Quote: --- Original message by: Quirel
We are currently starting up our first project, which will be a new multiplayer experience for Halo.

So far, sounds like the goal is halo..
Quote: --- Original message by: Quirel
At the moment, what we need are modelers and texturers. Being a coder myself, I can't vouch for how different this job will be from what you already know, but the poly counts for Company of Heroes are themselves are pretty high.

Suddenly, "different from what we know".. if its halo, it will be the same.. And then the poly count shouldn't matter since your asking for modelers instead of rippers.. So, your post completely ditched the halo idea?..

No.
In my opinion, modding a Real Time Strategy game so that the factions from Halo are in it would be a 'New multiplayer experience for Halo', particularly since the focus is on multiplayer and skirmish, not a campaign.

As for this project being different from what you already do, I've known some modelers who can't possibly design a gun with less than 5,000 polies, and I've known a few who prefer to stay low poly and leave it at that. I had assumed that people who modeled for an FPS might have to adjust when modeling for an RTS.

Quote: --- Original message by: Gurdy
Which Halo mod are you working on? Or have you not posted a topic on Relic News?

Our working title is "The TTP Project."
You frequent the Relic News forums much?

Halo CE General Discussion » Recursion Studios [Recruiting] Aug 23, 2011 05:40 PM (Total replies: 19)

Pardon the intrusion here.
I am Quirel, project lead over at Recursion Studios. We are currently starting up our first project, which will be a new multiplayer experience for Halo. To tell the truth, it's going to be a full conversion for Company of Heroes.
OK, I'll admit, it feels kinda sleazy going onto a forum dedicated to Halo:CE and Halo 2 Vista to hire for a non-FPS mod. But, hey, I was wondering what the community would think.

At the moment, what we need are modelers and texturers. Being a coder myself, I can't vouch for how different this job will be from what you already know, but the poly counts for Company of Heroes are themselves are pretty high.

Anyway, if anybody is interested, give me a call. If recruiting for another game engine isn't koscher... well, my apologies in advance.

Contact me at I_am_quirel@hotmail.com .
Edited by Quirel on Aug 23, 2011 at 05:41 PM

Time: Thu September 19, 2019 8:12 PM 187 ms.
A Halo Maps Website