A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: Insipid
About Contact
Last Post: Jan 12, 2012 05:29 PM
Interests:
Your Age:
What Games do you play: Halo:CE

Post Statistics
Insipid has contributed to 13 posts out of 469468 total posts (0.00%) in 2,995 days (0.00 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE General Discussion » CMT RETURNS! New project and team details inside! Jan 12, 2012 05:29 PM (Total replies: 12123)

I really like what you've shown so far, especially with the new custom maps you'll be putting out; I assume they'll be replacing the Library and the repeat levels? I'm not so sure about including Brutes - I've always found them rather boring - but I suppose my perception is colored by their official incarnations.

One thing that I didn't really like about the original Halo was the fact that many weapons were innacurate and unreliable. Obviously the Assault Rifle with it's amazing 2-6.5 degree error is a standout, but even the Shotgun's performance felt like it was too exaggerated - it killed anything up close, but you couldn't hit anything at a distance. It's basically a blunderbuss. I haven't read the whole thread yet so I don't know if this has already been addressed, but making weapons reward skill better is a feature I'd like to see.

Try this link.

Before you blame the tools you're using, make sure that it isn't your own computer causing problems with old software.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » What does different tags do? Jan 12, 2012 05:03 PM (Total replies: 3)

BIPED tags serve to set how the character interacts with the world (pathfinding radius, speed, etc), and ACTOR tags set basic AI and behaviour to be used for all characters of that type.

ACTOR_VARIANTS allow you to have multiple instances of the same character with tweaked AI and health so you can have actors that -for instance - use many different weapons and behave differently to match that. That's how you can have Rocket Flood that like to hang back and take pot shots at you and unarmed Flood that rush at you, both using the same basic tags.

If you want to go into more detail, you can ask around for a good tutorial or search for one yourself. Halo modding can be very confusing at first, but reading the available documentation can answer a lot of your questions.

Does this mean that you could get around that restriction by splitting up encounters into multiple smaller ones?

Halo CE General Discussion » HEKPLUS fails.... Dec 30, 2011 02:16 PM (Total replies: 31)

Quote: --- Original message by: Dennis
HEKPlus is a third party utility that requires the Microsoft dot net platform to operate. It was designed and released before windows vista or windows 7 were released and it requires some compatibility settings to operate on those operating systems. To run it properly on those operating systems right click on the HEK Plus program or startup icon and select properties. Select the compatibility tab and check "Disable Visual Themes" and check "Disable Desktop Composition" then click OK.

This problem crops up pretty often for new users of HEK+, including myself; it might be nice to put that on a site FAQ or similarly visible place so that people can see what's wrong. In my case, I had to search through Youtube videos to find out what was happening, so making this simple fix easier to find would be helpful to new users who generally turn to the halomaps site first when they get problems.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Alt. fire? Dec 30, 2011 02:01 PM (Total replies: 2)

At the $$$WEAPON$$ section of the weapon tag, you can set how the secondary trigger works. Then go and fill out a 'triggers' section for your secondary trigger with all the stuff you want for it.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » how do you use tool++ Dec 30, 2011 01:55 PM (Total replies: 7)

If you want a simple GUI, you can use the ToolEx plugin for HEK+. It's very simple and reliable.

Unless you have a ridiculous (90+) amount of AIs in the same graphic zone, I don't think simple numbers would crash the map. Try pruning things like grenades in the starting equipment as qwerty suggested and see if it helps.

When attempting to edit Renamon's Library level, I've noticed that the mid-to-long range firing effects of guns and muzzle flashes as well as spore and carrier explosions are simply missing. Some of the panels on the Index platform are jittering greenish messes, too.

This only happens if I extract and recompile the level to edit it, even if I change nothing and immediately recompile; a fresh download works fine. I'm thinking I should set the tag extractor to overwrite existing tags, but I'm wondering if there was an alternate explanation.

I've been trying to edit the original campaign levels, but when I compile the map and play it, the changes I've made to the tags haven't taken effect. I've tried some basic things, but I am as of yet unsure how this could be happening or how to fix it.

Edit:Nevermind, I figured it out. Apparently Guerrilla makes a copy of the tag you're editing and lets you modify that. Smart, but it doesn't actually tell you this anywhere.
Edited by Insipid on Oct 31, 2011 at 07:30 PM

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Issues with Guerilla and Tool++ Sep 13, 2011 05:06 PM (Total replies: 5)

Yes, I didn't start ripping/editing until I got CE. What's happening is that the tags are trying to reference tags from the default tags folder group, not the ones from the level itself. In retrospect, this was rather obvious and I should have thought of it earlier, but that's life.

Anyway - should I just go through all the tags and have them reference stuff from their own folder group, or is there a better way/is this not required?
Edited by Insipid on Sep 13, 2011 at 05:07 PM

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Issues with Guerilla and Tool++ Sep 12, 2011 08:53 PM (Total replies: 5)

I haven't been moving tags into different folders, and I don't see why two near-identical actors should be in a folder other than marine_armored. Not to mention that I hadn't so much as looked at the Scorpion tags before seeing the red text. I don't think that's the problem here.

EDIT: I've managed to fix the Scorpion problem by having it reference the multiplayer collision model instead of the 'invisible' SP one. Still don't get why this happened.
Edited by Insipid on Sep 12, 2011 at 08:55 PM

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Issues with Guerilla and Tool++ Sep 11, 2011 10:36 AM (Total replies: 5)

Hi, I'm trying to edit the vehicles, weapons and characters of the original campaign maps to get my feet wet with CE modding, but I'm experiencing two problems.

On the Plasma Rifle Marine's Guerilla page, the 'Major Variant' Field is redded out as if it can't find the Plasma Rifle Major, even though the Plasma Rifle Major is in the same folder and fully editable by Guerilla. The same thing happened with the Scorpion and its collision model, even though I had never touched the Scorpion tags. Are the tags corrupt or something?

Second, I'm not sure to to rebuild the map with my changes. The first time I extracted the map's tags with HEK+, I got all of the tags in one folder and the scenario file. But when I told Tool++ to 'Build Cache File' with that scenario file, nothing happened. No error message, and debug.txt says nothing relevant. The second time, all of the tags got organized into their proper folders, with the .map file sitting at the top, but I don't see a .scenario file anywhere.

Time: Fri November 22, 2019 11:36 AM 313 ms.
A Halo Maps Website