A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: Agoodusername
About Contact
Last Post: Nov 18, 2015 05:16 AM
Interests:
Your Age:
What Games do you play:

Post Statistics
Agoodusername has contributed to 33 posts out of 469152 total posts (.01%) in 2,837 days (.01 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE General Discussion » Suicidal AI & Marines running out of ammo Nov 18, 2015 05:16 AM (Total replies: 8)

Thank you all for posting.
Cheers for all the assistance.

I realized that if I added more nearby defensive positions, that the ai would atleast most around in those positions (which is not a great mystery). Though I am still looking for a way to get them to leave the defensive positions and return to attacking positions.

I think the only way to pull this off is through scripting, I'll need to devote my time to some guides.

Halo CE General Discussion » Suicidal AI & Marines running out of ammo Nov 17, 2015 06:39 AM (Total replies: 8)

That actually sounds like it could work, some solid thinking outside of the box.

I am going to toy around with a few ideas first, then I will see about giving this a shot.

Halo CE General Discussion » Suicidal AI & Marines running out of ammo Nov 14, 2015 05:51 PM (Total replies: 8)

It seems the editting of the AR tags solved the marine ammunition issue. I am yet to tinker around with platoons, I wasn't aware that it even done anything.

Thanks for the suggestions.

>>UPDATE<<

I got around to toying around with the Platoon properties for the elites. I'll be honest I found the settings a little confusing for when an AI moves to defensive positions, I'll explain..

Within the positioning setting, you are given the options of strength percentages (25, 50, 75, ect). I imagine that this would be for the strength of the squad. Interestingly, I decided to get a single elite to have the 75% setting on. When his shield dropped and he took a bit of body vitality damage, he decided to move to the defensive position. Issue is, he never decided to move away from it. He just stared in the direction that he could hear enemy AI firing from.

So considering a single entity responded to the 75% setting, I am now wondering if the number has more to do with the body vitality of members of the platoon, rather than numbers within the squad.

Could anyone clear this up for me?
Edited by Agoodusername on Nov 15, 2015 at 06:43 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Suicidal AI & Marines running out of ammo Nov 14, 2015 05:45 AM (Total replies: 8)

Hello there.

With some swift assistance from these forums, I have been able to overcome certain obstacles that stopped me from making and playing my own (Well, not really mine.. but an editted hangemhigh) map.

Though I have encountered some odd behaviour from the AI. I have found elites to be.. generally suicidal in a fire fight. I will explain..

Elites will engage in ranged combat against a team of marines, yet when their shield is low/drops they will occassionally just remain out in the open combat field and just do that weaving action. As one imagines, their death is the eventual result.

(I am wondering if this is just the case for Elite Minors, because Majors seem to be a bit more cautious).

Observing this issue, I attempted to set defensive firing positions aligned with the letter "B". I imagined that when elites reach low\dropped shield, they begin to perform the defensive actions that are displayed within the squad properties, for example the following..

- Defending
- Defending Search
- Defending Guard

So I set these options as "B" and I found the elites completely ignored my firing position altogether. I even tried to do this for "Attacking Guard", yet to no avail.
I have found that the only "settings" (for lack of a better term) engaged by the elites is "Attacking" and "Attacking Search".

Only once I placed the "B" in those settings did the elites use those firing postions.
So to cut to the chase, how can I make elites actually use these functions.. do they even use them at all?

The next issue I have observed is that.. well. The marines actually run out of Assault Rifle amunition, yet seem to have a wealth of grenades (even though in guerilla I have their grenade number set at 1-2). I actually never suspected this to ever occur, but it has. The marines will be firing away until all of a sudden, no more bullets come out of the ARs, yet they perform the firing animations and a "clicking" can be heard when they "fire".

Any suggestions\ideas? Because even though this is a bit of a laugh, if this "mis-firing" (If you can even call it that) issue occurs in a multi-player map, I do wonder if it can occur in attempts I make to create a single-player map.
Edited by Agoodusername on Nov 14, 2015 at 05:45 AM
Edited by Agoodusername on Nov 14, 2015 at 05:46 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Struggling to launch Halo Ce Nov 12, 2015 07:56 AM (Total replies: 8)

Thank you both for your suggestions. It seems I have new tools and such to learn about.

Halo CE General Discussion » Struggling to launch Halo Ce Nov 12, 2015 07:23 AM (Total replies: 8)

@Tarkija

- I do not know what OS means.
- By hardware am I correct to assume specs? If so..

Windows version: 10
Processor: I5-4440 CPU @ 3.10GHZ
Ram: 8GB.
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 750 TI

I'm not sure if anything else is required.

- No I have not downloaded any patches, I suppose this could be a reason for my difficulty.
- Open Sauce or HA2? I am not aware of what either of those are.. so I am going to say probably not. My apologies, I am rather new to Halo Ce.
- On this PC, no Halo has not worked.

@StormUndBlackbird

The installer for Halo CE? I got my Halo ce installer from this site.
Link: http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=410

I'll be giving the patch a go and see if anything improves.

UPDATE

The patch has made the game work! Thank you for such a simple suggestion that I overlooked. Was not even aware that any patches were required to get this game running. Halo CE worked fine on my old laptop.

Though I do have a new issue of no AI spawning in my map.. so I have more work to do, thank you both.
Edited by Agoodusername on Nov 12, 2015 at 07:30 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Struggling to launch Halo Ce Nov 12, 2015 06:23 AM (Total replies: 8)

I thought I could resolve this myself.. but.

I can not seem to get halo ce to launch. I click to launch haloce and nothing happens, no menu, no music, nothing.
I have tried the following..

- uninstalling/reinstalling.
- Running the program as administrator.
- Running in compatability mode [Windows XP service pack 2&3, Windows Vista, Windows 7&8. Not sure what it was meant to achieve when altering what compatability mode to launch with, but it was worth a shot.
- Going into the Nvidia settings and turning off all antialiasing settings, also turned off anisotropic filtering.

So I am a little stumped at the moment.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Struggling to launch Halo Ce Nov 12, 2015 06:22 AM (Total replies: 2)

Thanks, I'll do that.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Struggling to launch Halo Ce Nov 12, 2015 12:01 AM (Total replies: 2)

New thread made in Halo ce General Discussion, please delete this thread.

I thought I could resolve this myself.. but.

I can not seem to get halo ce to launch. I click to launch haloce and nothing happens, no menu, no music, nothing.
I have tried the following..

- uninstalling/reinstalling.
- Running the program as administrator.
- Running in compatability mode [Windows XP service pack 2&3, Windows Vista, Windows 7&8. Not sure what it was meant to achieve when altering what compatability mode to launch with, but it was worth a shot.
- Going into the Nvidia settings and turning off all antialiasing settings, also turned off anisotropic filtering.

So I am a little stumped at the moment.
Edited by Agoodusername on Nov 12, 2015 at 06:24 AM

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Questions about Sapien and map compiling Nov 11, 2015 06:05 AM (Total replies: 5)

I done it and the following happened..

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10240]
(c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition>tool build-cache-file levels\test\hangemhigh\autum_stand_off
Couldn't read map file './toolbeta.map'
culling uncompressed model vertices...done
culling uncompressed structure bsp vertices...done
culling uncompressed model animation data...done
building predicted resources for structures...done
structure bsp 'levels\test\hangemhigh\hangemhigh' is 0.73M
tag headers and names are 0.28M
streaming model vertex and index buffers...done
streaming tags..................................done
writing vertex and index buffers...done 8.98M
writing tags...done (3458 tags for 8.24M)
total tag size is 8.96M (14.04M free)
compressing 54.78M...done
successfully built cache file.
Cache pack file bitmaps hits: 820 for 46.30M
Cache pack file bitmaps adds/misses: 100 for 2.68M
Cache pack file sounds hits: 664 for 12.04M
Cache pack file sounds adds/misses: 1970 for 35.14M
Cache pack file loc hits: 104 for 0.22M
Cache pack file loc adds/misses: 0 for 0.00M

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition>

So it worked! I now have a map file of autum_stand_off. With that said, I now face a new issue that I did not expect to occur. My Halo ce wont actually launch.. I should be able to sort that myself.

Thank you for your help, it was great to see such a quick response. A shame I can't return the favor.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Questions about Sapien and map compiling Nov 11, 2015 01:01 AM (Total replies: 5)

My apologies, I was not specific enough.

I am using the multi-player map "hangemhigh".

I intend to check out the channel that you provided, thank you.

I attempted to follow your instructions, I was not entirely sure what I was doing so I was expecting not to get it right the first time.

I copied cmd.exe into the halo ce directory, I then ran it and typed what you instructed (or so I think), which left me with the following on my cmd screen..

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition>tool build-cache-file *tags\levels\test\hangemhigh\Autum stand off.scenario

I then hit Enter and the following occurs..

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition>tool build-cache-file *tags\levels\test\hangemhigh\Autum stand off.scenario
usage: tool verb <options..>
build-cache-file <scenario-name>

I also received the same outcome when I done a space before "tool". I have a feeling that I have made a mistake.

Also does your Sapien have the "phenomena" that I described in my starting post? For example grenades not exploding and no firing sound effects.

Thank you for responding.
Edited by Agoodusername on Nov 11, 2015 at 01:02 AM

>> UPDATE <<

Just an update.

I was watching a video I downloaded from youtube and it made mention of making a cmd shortcut in the folder and making sure the "Start in" command in the properties is the Halo ce directory. So I decided to do that, I then just typed tool and hit Enter to see the result, the following happened.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition>tool
model source-directory
animations source-directory
strings source-directory
unicode-strings source-directory
bitmaps source-directory
bitmap source-file
structure scenario-directory bsp-name
structure-lens-flares bsp-name
structure-breakable-surfaces structure-name
collision-geometry source-directory
physics source-file
sounds directory-name platform<xbox,wav,ogg> ogg_only_value_flag<quality or bitrate>
sounds_by_type directory-name type <round to 64 samples:yes/no>
windows-font
hud-messages <path> <scenario-name>
lightmaps <scenario> <bsp index> <quality> <stop threshhold>
process-sounds <root path> <substring> <gain+|gain-|gain=|maximum-distance|minimum-distance> <value>
merge-scenery <source scenario> <destination scenario>
zoners_model_upgrade
import-device-defaults <defaults|profiles> <savegame path>

I then decided to do it with the full command line that you (Spartan) advised. This was the result of doing so.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition>tool build-cache-file*tags\levels\test\hangemhigh\Autum stand off.scenario*
model source-directory
animations source-directory
strings source-directory
unicode-strings source-directory
bitmaps source-directory
bitmap source-file
structure scenario-directory bsp-name
structure-lens-flares bsp-name
structure-breakable-surfaces structure-name
collision-geometry source-directory
physics source-file
sounds directory-name platform<xbox,wav,ogg> ogg_only_value_flag<quality or bitrate>
sounds_by_type directory-name type <round to 64 samples:yes/no>
windows-font
hud-messages <path> <scenario-name>
lightmaps <scenario> <bsp index> <quality> <stop threshhold>
process-sounds <root path> <substring> <gain+|gain-|gain=|maximum-distance|minimum-distance> <value>
merge-scenery <source scenario> <destination scenario>
zoners_model_upgrade
import-device-defaults <defaults|profiles> <savegame path>

I'm not sure what exactly happened, I am assuming something done incorrectly on my part. It is a step forward anyway.
Edited by Agoodusername on Nov 11, 2015 at 05:04 AM

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Questions about Sapien and map compiling Nov 10, 2015 05:36 PM (Total replies: 5)

Hello, I have recently decided to toy around with Halo ce again. Though I have some questions regarding Sapien and map compiling.

I'll be honest, I am still quite new to using these programs, so do please bear with me.

1. Within Sapien, I have been toying around with AI a fair bit and have noticed that there are no explosions from their grenades thrown or sounds of weapon fire. I am curious if there has been an extraction issue or that is simply how Sapien runs the game.

2. How do you make AI spawn later within the map? I have tried squad delays, ticking not initially made/spawned and tried to tamper around with respawn times.

3. Once I am done with tinkering around with my map, how would I be able to play it? I know this is a newbie question and I have checked around on other forums. Though from what I have gathered I need to make use of the Tool.exe and perhaps even compile scripts.

As I said, I am quite new. I'm not sure if I could have got all my answers from other sources on the internet, so I decided to post up here instead.

Apologies if this is seen as spam.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Ai Issues Oct 20, 2011 04:14 PM (Total replies: 4)

"I mean who would want to throw grenades at point blank?"
I've encountered some pretty stupid marines back in the day lol.

But thank you my issue is resolved the people on this forum are most helpful.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Ai Issues Oct 18, 2011 05:38 PM (Total replies: 4)

I just done as you advised.

From a distance the elites will use grenades frequently.
But as the enemy force gets closer to them, they cut back.

Is this normal?

Also when I editted these changes my elites stopped standing still, they actually run around to their firing positions and such.

How the heck does grenade settings affect movements?

I am assuming if I do this to my marines they would also move around aswell as hurl grenades.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Ai Issues Oct 18, 2011 12:56 AM (Total replies: 4)

Hello there some of you may have seen my post on Hang em High.
I eventually resolved the problem but now I am having some problems with the Ai.

My Ai are not moving except for the odd weave, army roll, or suicidal attack when on critical health.

I have not had this issue on the "Prisoner" Map as I have made that into a mad house.
Here is what I am doing when Setting my Instances.

Respawn Enable: Ticked.
Team Index: Covenant.
Search Behaviour: Tenacious.
Respawn Delay: 5 to 10 Seconds.

Firing positions scattered around the area I wish for them to guard/attack.

Squads Block
Actor Type: Spec Op Elite Plasma Rifle.
Initial State: Moving Randomly.
Returning State: Moving Randomly.

Flags Ticked; Automatic Migration, Magic sight after timer, Start timer immediatley.

Squad Delay time: One Second.
I have ABCEFGHI Ect in all the combat movements (I think that is what they're reffered as)

Normal Diff Count: 5
Insane Diff Count: 5
Respawn Min actors: 0
Respawn Max actors: 1
Respawn total: 1
Respawn Delay: 5 to 10 Seconds.

I do not have Moving points on the map, as I have tried it with and without them with no results.

Not even sure what the Diff Counts stand for but I was told to put something in them from a tutorial.

Also how would one make Ai hurl grenades?

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » A Noob in need, sorry. Oct 15, 2011 08:22 PM (Total replies: 42)

I managed to go into the properties and enabled all programs to run as administrator except for Cmd, any clue on how I could sort that?

EDIT!
Nevermind sorted that out, created a shortcut and went into advanced options, one thing I've managed to figure out on my own, lol.
Edited by Agoodusername on Oct 15, 2011 at 08:38 PM

EDIT AGAIN
I have recursively extracted other maps and they work in Sapien, it seems Hang Em High has it's own personal issue.
Edited by Agoodusername on Oct 15, 2011 at 09:07 PM

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » A Noob in need, sorry. Oct 15, 2011 06:21 PM (Total replies: 42)

Bah, my bad I meant I extracted.

I did what you advised me to do earlier with Recursively extracting a file, but as I said up there, I can not find the file.

I am confident it has extracted HEK+ does tell me "Tag Extracted!"

EDIT!
False call the file is there, I just can't see it unless I use Guerilla, though when I attempted to open with Sapien again.. I believe the same problem.

10.16.11 09:19:01 sapien pc 01.00.00.0609 ----------------------------------------------
10.16.11 09:19:01 reference function: _write_to_error_file
10.16.11 09:19:01 reference address: 401b13
10.16.11 09:19:01 Couldn't read map file './sapienbeta.map'
10.16.11 09:19:01 CreateDevice succeeded with refresh rate = 0
10.16.11 09:19:02 Sound card doesn't meet minimum hardware requirements. Disabling hardware option.
10.16.11 09:19:03 Increasing sound decompression buffer size to 1048576 bytes
10.16.11 09:19:06 file_open('tags\levels\test\hangemhigh\hangemhigh.bitmap') error 0x00000002 'The system cannot find the file specified. '
10.16.11 09:19:06 couldn't open bitmap tag 'hangemhigh.bitmap'.
10.16.11 09:19:06 failed to load scenario_structure_bsp tag 'levels\test\hangemhigh\hangemhigh'
10.16.11 09:19:06 failed to load structure bsp 'levels\test\hangemhigh\hangemhigh'
Edited by Agoodusername on Oct 15, 2011 at 06:49 PM
Edited by Agoodusername on Oct 15, 2011 at 06:50 PM

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » A Noob in need, sorry. Oct 15, 2011 04:56 PM (Total replies: 42)

Ok, so I have deleted the Bitmap file and now I am compiling the Bitmap file from Halo PC.

The Problem is the file won't appear in the Hang em High folder for Halo CE.

In the Options, in the Plugin Area I have the following path set.

C\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition\Tags

Is this correct?

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » A Noob in need, sorry. Oct 15, 2011 05:32 AM (Total replies: 42)

Ok, I assume by Bitmap files you mean the files which are not the main .Scenario file.

Now I have Halo: Combat Evolved on my laptop, would this be the "Halo Pc" you were reffering, geez I hope it is lol.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » A Noob in need, sorry. Oct 14, 2011 07:59 PM (Total replies: 42)

I went into the Hang em high folder and extracted the bitmap files and such, then attempted to open the Scenario file with Sapien, the result..

10.15.11 10:23:46 sapien pc 01.00.00.0609 ----------------------------------------------
10.15.11 10:23:46 reference function: _write_to_error_file
10.15.11 10:23:46 reference address: 401b13
10.15.11 10:23:46 Couldn't read map file './sapienbeta.map'
10.15.11 10:23:46 CreateDevice succeeded with refresh rate = 0
10.15.11 10:23:47 Sound card doesn't meet minimum hardware requirements. Disabling hardware option.
10.15.11 10:23:49 Increasing sound decompression buffer size to 1048576 bytes
10.15.11 10:23:57 file_read('tags\levels\test\hangemhigh\hangemhigh.bitmap') error 0x00000026 'Reached the end of the file. '
10.15.11 10:23:57 couldn't read #108 bytes from offset #64 in local tag 'tags\levels\test\hangemhigh\hangemhigh.bitmap'
10.15.11 10:23:57 couldn't read elements for bitmap block
10.15.11 10:23:57 failed to load bitmap tag 'levels\test\hangemhigh\hangemhigh'
10.15.11 10:23:57 failed to load scenario_structure_bsp tag 'levels\test\hangemhigh\hangemhigh'
10.15.11 10:23:57 failed to load structure bsp 'levels\test\hangemhigh\hangemhigh'

Time: Fri July 19, 2019 9:35 AM 188 ms.
A Halo Maps Website