A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: TheFieryScythe
About Contact
Last Post: Dec 25, 2012 05:07 AM
Interests:
Your Age:
What Games do you play:

Post Statistics
TheFieryScythe has contributed to 11 posts out of 469450 total posts (0.00%) in 2,761 days (0.00 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE General Discussion » An Unusual OpenSauce Install Problem Dec 25, 2012 05:07 AM (Total replies: 15)

Since you know this problem wasn't with OS and it's installer, would you mind removing the information on manual extraction/installation from the msi? I don't want people to start doing that when they get a problem since that will make things ever more difficult to debug (We wouldn't knowingly provide support for such an installation anyway).

Halo CE General Discussion » OpenSauce for HaloCE, V3.0, Released Dec 22, 2012 08:11 AM (Total replies: 818)

Ideally each dedi would server the maps it is running, but otherwise the master servers hosted by volunteers would have a selection of popular maps and a subset of less played maps to encourage more varied custom map servers.

The only management Korn and I will do is to control the pool of master servers available to the OS userbase, so the maps that are actually served will be controlled by the master server hosts. This lends itself to scenarios such as a clan that owns a number of dedi's having a master server on their website hosting the maps running on those dedi's.

Halo CE General Discussion » OpenSauce for HaloCE, V3.0, Released Dec 21, 2012 08:59 PM (Total replies: 818)

Here's a quick video showing the map downloads in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-nVbexrN5M

Halo CE General Discussion » OpenSauce for HaloCE, V3.0, Released Jul 11, 2012 07:46 AM (Total replies: 818)

I haven't seen an Issue logged on google code about this HUD scaling bug (unless i've missed it). If you have a solid method for reproducing the problem add an Issue with the details and i'll get around to looking in to it at some point.

Halo CE General Discussion » OS No Normals on bsp structures.Why? Jun 15, 2012 07:01 PM (Total replies: 9)

Judging by what is stored in the BSP vertex data I believe they tried to store an average light direction for each vertex so that they could use it to bump the lightmap, but because it is on a per vertex basis it doesn't work very well.

Halo CE General Discussion » OS No Normals on bsp structures.Why? Jun 15, 2012 08:00 AM (Total replies: 9)

The BSP doesn't have normal maps because there is no directional information about the light in the lightmap to create the bumping effect with. The shader_model can because all of the lighting information is processed dynamically in real time rather than the static lighting of the BSP.

A current-gen technique to get around this issue is to generate 3 lightmaps accumulating light from different directions and then interpolating between the 3 lightmaps using the normal map. This is called directional lightmapping or radiosity normal mapping (used in Half-Life 2), which is not available in OS. It might be possible to add such a feature, but without a feasible way of generating the lightmaps there is little point.

Halo CE General Discussion » OS cant get detail normal working Apr 25, 2012 07:35 PM (Total replies: 9)

If I remember correctly I set it up so that if you only had detail normal 1 set it would disregard the missing base normal map and apply it anyway. Make sure you are compiling your map using build-cache-file-ex as there is a value that "turns on" normal mapping for a shader, which is only set when using build-cache-file-ex.

Halo CE General Discussion » Will people stop making yelo maps? Apr 21, 2012 08:24 PM (Total replies: 87)

Quote: --- Original message by: Higuy
The problem with that entire idea (and Korn should be wise enough to know, and FS) is that alot of users simply dont code or have the patience to learn how to. Things wont get done becuase people wont do it if they aren't motivated, inspired, or have the know-how, just like anything else.

I am aware that the general user-base isn't going to see OS and suddenly jump up and start programming, but the end user isn't who that aspect of OS is aimed at. I would hope that the big, obvious additions we have at the moment would show the scope of what is possible though OS and that it can be a platform for people who have some software development skills and have wanted to do something with Halo, but haven't because there hasn't been an in-use platform to develop for.

I agree there is naturally an issue of motivation and inspiration with something like this though, and I think that is largely down to whether something is really worth developing. If someone just says it would be 'cool' to have *this obscure mechanic* then no-ones going to be that interested in working on it. But if there is a significant want for something and its feasible to do then someone might take up the challenge. So if people want to see new game-play mechanics put in to OS then they need to discuss them and show that they would be useful, used and beneficial to everyone.

EDIT: Reinstall OS via the command line with verbose logging:
msiexec /i "path to msi" /L*V "path to log"

...and add it to a new issue report to our issues page. I'll see if it's something obvious.
Edited by TheFieryScythe on Apr 21, 2012 at 08:43 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Will people stop making yelo maps? Apr 21, 2012 02:01 PM (Total replies: 87)

Looks like I need to clear some things up.

Quote: --- Original message by: Dumb AI
Who knows? The error report is probably just a generic Microsoft error report.No useful information what so ever.

The error details in the report are actually useful as they give us the module that crashed (d3d9 usually) and the point in the code that it crashed at. That gives us a starting point to try and figure out what caused a crash.

Quote: --- Original message by: qwertyuiop15
I agree. Stop making yelo maps or at least fix OS so that it doesn't crash CE when I have a .yelo in my maps folder.

No, OS is has a horrible documentation on how to even install it. Every time I've attempted to install it either does nothing at all or simply crashes (crashing was the result of the latest OS build, never bothered to play SPv3 becuase of it). I even asked 3 times in the threads for the release and recieved little to no response on how this may have been fixed. I can hardly see a majority of the user base starting to use this.
Edited by Higuy on Apr 20, 2012 at 06:46 PM

We have stated in the release thread(s) that we won't take bugs that are posted in forums/emailed to us/IM'd to us. We only take bug reports that are posted on our Google code issues page. This is so that we can keep track of what problems there are, and what we have fixed. I personally don't browse the various halo forums much (if at all) as I spend most of my time developing. However, when an issue is added to the issues page I get a notification email and I check it out.

I try to provide what support I can through this channel, however if someone encounters a bug but doesn't add it to the issues page i'm probably not going to know about it.

Yet a bulk of the main function in os are ironically just for graphics. Even VISR is graphics - it makes almost no gameplay difference at all besides telling the player what is an enemy and what is a ally and if you have to tell the player that then either the player is really stupid or your game sucks.
Edited by Higuy on Apr 20, 2012 at 06:46 PM

VISR isn't added by OS, VISR is an application of OS's post processing system. It isn't the one trick VISR pony people seem to think it is :P.

Ultimately OS features are added by developers that want to add them. I added the shader_model extensions and the post processing system because that's what I wanted to see in the game. ChokingVictim has worked on the unit infections mechanic and such for the same reason I'm sure. I personally don't develop anything to do with game-play as I like Halo's game-play as it is.
We aren't a big team of super-devs, so masses and masses of awesome game-play additions and features aren't going to suddenly be added to OS unless we get a lot more developers working with it.

As for .yelo's, you only need to use .yelo's if you are making a map that uses features that are not compatible with stock Halo. So if you are just adding some global post processes or normal maps to your models then you don't need a .yelo. If you are using any scripting functions added by OS, or are using the tag space/memory upgrades then you will need to use a .yelo.

Time: Mon November 11, 2019 6:51 PM 203 ms.
A Halo Maps Website