A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: Narthius
About Contact
Last Post: May 2, 2012 12:53 AM
Interests: CG animation
Your Age: 22
What Games do you play: Left 4 Dead/2, Halo 3, Halo Wars, Gears 3
Its sufficient
Email: {hidden}

Post Statistics
Narthius has contributed to 3 posts out of 465511 total posts (0.00%) in 2,956 days (0.00 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE General Discussion » Halo 3 Models Pack [Semi-RELEASE] May 2, 2012 12:53 AM (Total replies: 198)

I actually have one small question that I cant figure out. In halo 3 multiplayer, the models all have their emblem shown on their right shoulders. well... when I project the texture file to the left shoulder it works fine naturally, but (because of the UV I suppose?) when I assign it to the right shoulder (on all the permutations) everything works great, except for the area where the emblem is supposed to be displayed. There it just shows the entire texture file minimized. I assume this has something to do with the UV is directed to read that area from a separate file? But if that is the case where might I find that file? Needless to say I merely want the shoulder texture and not displayed any "emblem" image. Any ideas?

As a side note, going back to your "Steven" model, I tried to apply the ninja diffuse to the right shoulder and the same thing happens, the texture is displayed all in that one little area whereas the rest of the shoulder projects correctly.... yet you were able somehow to project the diffuse without that one area being affected. How did you achieve that?

Once again disregard that. I found that editing the UV's was a major pain, so I merely made a clone of the right shoulder, and mirrored it to his left shoulder, renaming it, and problem solved.

... But I return with questions. I don't really expect an answer, seeing as how I don't expect many people read this olde thread, but in case anyone does, my last hiccup has to do with the glow, or illumination the visor has. (not to mention the self illuminating little lights on the legs, and certain parts of the chest piece...) What exactly is going on there, and how might it be achieved? I was surprised by how dim the Diffuse map for the visor's are. I expected them to be a bit more vibrant. Obviously some other material is used... and I'm assuming its either glow or self illumination. But I know nothing of either. Any help?
Edited by Narthius on May 5, 2012 at 06:37 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo 3 Models Pack [Semi-RELEASE] Apr 29, 2012 09:54 PM (Total replies: 198)

He did. First post, under the big red letters "UPDATE", that link has the current file.

And I retract my earlier question. I finally figured out what the maps actually do in conjunction with each other, and how they work. Overall it turned out to be a great learning tool. Now I can actually find my way around the material editor! (The slate editor on the other hand... -.- )

Thanks a mil for all the content uploaded man, this rocks. The only thing I couldn't find was cc maps for the multiplayer permutations, but it shouldn't be too hard to make my own. Thanks again dude. Rock on!

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo 3 Models Pack [Semi-RELEASE] Apr 26, 2012 02:45 AM (Total replies: 198)

I apologize if this seems a bit naive, but I am unfamiliar with this topic. I understand that the textures are given in the file, but quite frankly I am at a loss as to how to assign them. Material Editor was never my strong point. I AM interested in keeping these in Max for simple animation purposes. Yet with the exception of the simple diffuse map, I have no idea what materials to assign anywhere.

I have downloaded your folder ihalo, "Digital Halo" tried the affore mentioned "halo 3 set" before I even found this forum, and even tried the "halo 3 beta models (3ds/max/obj)". Yet they all seem to contain a few similar, but mostly different texture files. Which as you can imagine has me thoroughly confused.

As a side note, I did find a (seemingly) completely textured model under the variants folder named "steven"... however after trying to mimic those material editor settings on a fresh copy of the .emf imported models, almost half the normals become flipped, and I cant even get the bump map to project properly. And im not quite sure as to why. Any suggestions anyone?

Frankly I suppose im asking for help understanding the textures themselves and the assignment of said textures to the Spartan_MP model(s).

Once again I apologize for my lack of knowledge on this topic. I am a self taught hobbyist. Learning by asking questions such as these.

Ps. What is the difference between the .emf importer, and the raw spartan import? They both import as mere meshes...?

Time: Fri May 29, 2020 1:26 PM 188 ms.
A Halo Maps Website