A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: MosesofEgypt
About Contact
Last Post: Feb 16, 2018 01:30 PM
Interests:
Your Age:
What Games do you play:

Post Statistics
MosesofEgypt has contributed to 437 posts out of 465642 total posts (.09%) in 1,783 days (.25 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE General Discussion » How do I restart Tags?? Feb 16, 2018 01:30 PM (Total replies: 4)

Masterz is more specifically saying not to delete "ui/editor" as that folder contains some of the gizmo markers used by sapien. You should back up ui/editor if you ever intend to just clear your tags directory, as sapien wont load without that folder. If you DID delete it, you can find a backup here on my dropbox.

forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=50543

Halo CE General Discussion » [RELEASE] Mo's Editing Kit Essentials (MEKE) Feb 10, 2018 09:31 PM (Total replies: 17)

The alt download is just in case one of them doesn't work for some reason. Also, there's been another update.... This is why I waited till now to make them executables. With how many updates I had in the past it would have been WAY more inconvenient to have to update that many times.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Question About Flood Actor Variants Feb 10, 2018 02:18 PM (Total replies: 2)

Probably for the same reason everyone hates flood controlling tanks in Halo 2. Find and neutralize them immediately, or die in a fire. Compound that with the flood's ability to climb walls and jump like a maniac, and you have a stupid threat on your hands.

Imagine trying to hunker down, find, and pick off the sniper flood while also being swarmed by regular flood. Or consider that precision weapons(the only thing that's really going to hit an enemy at sniper range and the only thing you'll get from killing this flood) are practically useless against flood. Precision weapons are virtually non-existent on flood levels for a reason. At least rocket launchers projectiles are slow enough that you can see the burning rocket against the dark in the distance and move to avoid it. With snipers you don't even have that luxury.

EDIT: Also, there's this thing that just flies around quarantine zone and the attached tank can just target the player and launch a shell at them. Sounds like a lot of fun just playing the game and all of a sudden a tank shell from god wrecks you while you're just minding your own business. Funny sure, but not after the 10th time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_pT84Ob3Y0
Edited by MosesofEgypt on Feb 10, 2018 at 02:27 PM

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Refinery tutorial? Feb 7, 2018 06:24 PM (Total replies: 9)

Quote:
Please tell me if I have to update winrar

Yup.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Refinery tutorial? Feb 7, 2018 02:23 PM (Total replies: 9)

Just poping in to mention that first off, Refinery does NOT allow you to edit the tags in a map. It has a DISPLAY button, not an EDIT button. Also, while Refinery might not be able to automatically deprotect EVERY tag in heavily mangled maps, it allows you to manually fix them with some trial and error. The rename feature allows you to change a tags class(not just rename), so if the classes of certain tags don't get fixed, you can try changing them yourself. To do this you will either need to take a complete guess, or look at where other tags use them to get an idea.

NOTE: I just made some updates to Refinery that affect the deprotection, so you might want to update. Either download and install the newest MEKE or run the MEK updater. It depends on whether you are using the MEK or MEKE.

Here's a Revelations, a heavily protected map. I ran it through deprotect, manually fixed a couple of the remaining classes, and ran the deprotect again to finish fixing it. All tags are now extractable from it. Names are still fairly useless, but the map should extract just fine(though scripts that reference specific tags won't know them by their auto-deprotected names).
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ysymjmdi7j08bq/revelations_DEPROTECTED.rar?dl=1

Most of the time the missing tag dependencies Refinery cant find are tag_collection and ui_widget_collection tags. These tags point to all the ui_widget_definition tags, which point to their own bitmaps and sounds and other ui_widget_definitions. If the collections are missed by the deprotector, ALL of those will be missed.

Btw, when I say "manually" what I meant is I opened the map in a hex editor, scrolled to where Refinery said the tags are each located at, and discerned their types by the data. It's a skill most people here won't have, and is kinda ad-hoc to acquire.

Also, the thing about how the tags are stored in a map is that the dependencies higher up on the chain have lower tag index ids. If you sort the tags in Refinery by index id after the first deprotection pass, the first 5 or so "invalid" ones are highly likely to be tag_collection or ui_widget_collection tags. The only REAL difference between those 2 tag types is that tag_collections can reference ANY kind of tag, while ui_widget_collection can only reference ui_widget_definition tags. They have the EXACT same structure.
Edited by MosesofEgypt on Feb 7, 2018 at 02:38 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » [RELEASE] Mo's Editing Kit Essentials (MEKE) Feb 7, 2018 02:19 PM (Total replies: 17)

The ONLY halo 2 stuff refinery is even TESTED with is retail, Halo 2 Vista. Anything else doesn't have any kind of guarantee it'll even parse properly. I did less than a weeks worth of work dabbling into Halo 2 maps, so I can't guarantee any significant level of quality regarding that. Sorry.

Also, there's an update available that fixes a few bugs with Refinery's deprotection, and a couple UI bugs. I've updated both the MEK and the MEKE.

First off, please don't start any engine fanboy-ing. I don't care if you think XXXX is better than Unity or w/e. Go argue somewhere else.

My point in making this thread is to say that I actually am leaving the Halo modding scene as completely as I can afford to. I'll still lurk every so often and try to fix any bugs you guys come across, but I literally don't have the desire or time to continue making new tools. I've even removed myself from all Halo modding discords channels I was a part of. So yeah, no chance of a HoMo'Sapien.

"BUT MO, DIDN'T YOU SAY BACK IN LATE OCTOBER THAT YOU WERE LEAVING THEN????"
Yeah, I did. I was also supposed to be getting a job at that time with a company which would have had me programming and designing things for them. The wait for a job drug on until January 9th when the boss basically told me that their client wasn't giving them the big load of work they were hiring me on to help with, and that I should seek employment elsewhere. Kinda hard to keep yourself from going back to your modding efforts when you're sitting on your thumbs for ~2.5 months. Since then I've been trying to get a Linux machine up and running with Android studio to start developing some small android apps. That didn't turn out due to a lot of hardware and software issues I could not deal with. So I'm going to start trying to make games with Unity. WHEEEEEEEeeeeeeee......

Anyway, if any of you know special bits of information about tags that you wish were in mozzarilla, I encourage you to download TortoiseHg(or whatever mercurial client/frontend you want), clone my reclaimer repository, add the comments and tooltips, and submit a pull request. I'll look over any pull requests I get, determine if any changes need to be made, and if not then I'll merge it into the master branch and update the MEK and MEK Essentials.

I honestly don't expect many if any of you to do this, which is why I'm willing to spend time to push out any positive changes any of you supply as updates. Michelle already added a few things here and there, but there could definitely be much more. Here is the repository:
https://bitbucket.org/Moses_of_Egypt/reclaimer

and here is one of michelle's commits to help show you how simple it is to add these:
https://bitbucket.org/Moses_of_Egypt/reclaimer/commits/dae6ce36287055659af69ce82e30ef4adba87a26

Should be pretty obvious, but green lines were added with the commit, and red were removed.
Edited by MosesofEgypt on Jan 31, 2018 at 08:27 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Just uploaded my first mod! Jan 31, 2018 03:01 AM (Total replies: 22)

Glad to see you've gotten your feet wet enough to start exploring the rest of the engine at your own pace. I've seen the threads you've been making to ask questions. Glad to see you're not letting the opaqueness of much of the editing process stop you from trying anyway. Look forward to seeing you try new things and just have fun doing so. Cheers!

Halo CE General Discussion » [RELEASE] Mo's Editing Kit Essentials (MEKE) Jan 28, 2018 08:06 PM (Total replies: 17)

Refinery can extract scripts, bitmaps, sounds, and hud_message_text tags back to their source files. To do this, load the map you wanna rip, and click "Switch to data extraction", then add the tag you wanna rip from. The scenario contains the scripts, so add that to the queue to rip the scripts. They get extracted to the "data" folder specified in your settings.

Also, you need to remember that the name of the map must match it's filename. If you change the name to Balls, the filename must be Balls.map. Also, i'm pretty sure that halo just forces all map names to be lowercase when it displays them, maybe having to do with NTFS being a case-insensitive filesystem.

Halo CE General Discussion » [RELEASE] Mo's Editing Kit Essentials (MEKE) Jan 27, 2018 10:29 PM (Total replies: 17)

The only way to get past it is to disable your antivirus, or make an exclusion for its folder.

https://support.avast.com/en-us/article/Antivirus-scan-exclusions

I almost didn't respond because this is the kind of thing you should be googling for yourself.

Also, this is the MEKE, which only contains the most important parts of the MEK(which is why it stands for MEK Essentials). Both run on python, but python is already built into all the programs in the MEKE and properly configured, so there is nothing for you to mess with. Just run the MEKE installer and you're done. The regular MEK requires you have python 3.5, 3.6, or 3.7 installed for it to run, and it must be installed properly(according to the instructions that come with the MEK download).
Edited by MosesofEgypt on Jan 28, 2018 at 01:49 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » [RELEASE] Mo's Editing Kit Essentials (MEKE) Jan 26, 2018 10:58 PM (Total replies: 17)

BREAKING NEWS: The MEK now has a special "Essentials" edition which contains JUST Refinery, Mozzarilla, and Pool. The reason for this? IT DOESNT REQUIRE PYTHON! These are executables with python built into them. The installer will install everything needed, create shortcuts on the desktop with "Run as admin" already set, and even includes the bitmap accelerator modules.

The MEKE is only for 64bit Windows, and does not include the rest of the things in the MEK. The MEK won't be going anywhere, but now there is a "slim" version for anyone who had trouble getting Mozzarilla, Refinery, or Pool to run or ran into permission issues.

Also, hope you all like the icons. Jesse made the one for Pool, and I spent the last few days coming up with and making the others. About time I replaced those friggen feathers.......

If one of these downloads doesn't work, try another.

DOWNLOADS
https://bitbucket.org/Moses_of_Egypt/mek-essentials/raw/default/MEK%20Essentials%20Setup.exe

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8l81wn63vjjnxst/MEK%20Essentials%20Setup.exe?dl=1
Edited by MosesofEgypt on Feb 7, 2018 at 10:21 PM

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Help With HUD msg Icons Jan 22, 2018 11:03 PM (Total replies: 3)

If you need to know which sprites in a bitmap tag are which icon, mozzarilla allows you to view bitmaps, and has a rollout to put a box around each sprite. This way you can tell which index each hud icon is without having to guess and check.

Halo CE General Discussion » Bitmap Tag Offsets and Structure Jan 19, 2018 02:56 PM (Total replies: 3)

LOL, that was actually pretty good. Yeah, the bitmaps, sounds, and models ones are completely blank and are a reminder to me to elaborate on those specific tags. I DID specify which whitepapers you should look at though, and the bitmaps and sounds ones were not listed lol.

Also, don't worry too much about the yelo maps. The resource caches the yelo maps use are literally exactly the same format as the bitmaps.map, sounds.map, and loc.map. The only things to worry about with yelo maps are that there are new types of tags in the non-resource maps, and the cheape.map is compressed and appended to the end of the map file.

Halo CE General Discussion » Bitmap Tag Offsets and Structure Jan 19, 2018 01:39 PM (Total replies: 3)

Look in the "notes" folder of the MEK. If you haven't downloaded the mek, you can grab the relevant odt documents here:
https://bitbucket.org/Moses_of_Egypt/mek/src/default/notes/?at=default

These are very incomplete, but they explain just enough to answer your questions. The
"Constants, Enumerators, and Structures" file is what you want to look at, as I've heavily commented all of the fields in the structures, including the bitmap structs.

The "Mapfiles" one is also heavily incomplete, but the bottom contains a section describing all the differences people should care about between metadata and tagdata. Everything explained in it is taken directly from Refinery's ripping routines.

If you have any specific questions about structures, skim through my reclaimer library first.
https://bitbucket.org/Moses_of_Egypt/reclaimer/src

Additionally, there is a description of the jms model file type, and a definition extractor to extract very verbose descriptions of the tag structures. They aren't in any specific language, but you should be able to figure them out. They are pulled directly from reclaimer's definitions, but they have all the macros removed and have offsets explicitly defined for each field. Here's an example of what they look like.
############################################################
# bitmap

{ Struct, size:48, entries:17, bitmap
{ UEnum32, offset:0, size:4, bitm_id
bitm }
{ UInt16, offset:4, size:2, width }
{ UInt16, offset:6, size:2, height }
{ UInt16, offset:8, size:2, depth }
{ SEnum16, offset:10, size:2, type
texture_2d }
{ SEnum16, offset:12, size:2, format
a8 }
{ Bool16, offset:14, size:2, flags
{ mask:0x1, power_of_2_dim }
{ mask:0x2, compressed }
{ mask:0x4, palletized }
{ mask:0x8, swizzled }
{ mask:0x10, linear }
{ mask:0x20, v16u16 }
{ mask:0x40, unknown }
{ mask:0x80, prefer_low_detail }
{ mask:0x100, data_in_resource_map }
}
{ UInt16, offset:16, size:2, registration_point_x }
{ UInt16, offset:18, size:2, registration_point_y }
{ UInt16, offset:20, size:2, mipmaps }
{ FlUInt16, offset:22, size:2, pixels }
{ UInt32, offset:24, size:4, pixels_offset }
{ UInt32, offset:28, size:4, pixels_meta_size }
{ UInt32, offset:32, size:4, bitmap_id_unknown1 }
{ UInt32, offset:36, size:4, bitmap_data_pointer }
{ UInt32, offset:40, size:4, bitmap_id_unknown2 }
{ UInt32, offset:44, size:4, base_address }
}

EDIT: The bitmap flag is easy to find in its struct, but the sound one is in a general struct. To avoid confusion, i'm just going to paste it in here:
typedef struct RawdataRef {
SInt32 size;
/* This flag is used to determine if the rawdata is in a Halo PC
** or Halo CE resource map rather than the map this RawdataRef
** struct is in. It appears that this flag is ONLY used to
** specify if a sound permutations samples/mouth data is stored
** in the resource map. Bitmaps use a different flag to specify
** this while font, hud_message_text, and unicode_string_list
** tags assume the data is in the same map as the RawdataRef.*/
Bool32 data_in_resource_map : 1; // only used inside a map

UInt32 raw_pointer; /* only used inside a map.
** should only be used if pointer == 0 */
UInt32 pointer; /* only used inside a map(uses magic).
** if pointer == 0, use raw_pointer instead.*/
UInt32 id; // only used inside a map(purpose unknown).
} RawdataRef; // struct size == 20 bytes

Edited by MosesofEgypt on Jan 19, 2018 at 01:43 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » My Halo Dropbox folder Jan 17, 2018 12:37 AM (Total replies: 3)

Yeah, and there's also a txt file explaining what is not fixed.

Halo CE General Discussion » My Halo Dropbox folder Jan 16, 2018 02:19 PM (Total replies: 3)

So this is a folder I like to keep my Halo related files and backups in. It contains:
  • A zip of all the "refined" replacement tags for fixing a lot of the Halo PC porting bugs and removing compression from a lot of bitmaps.

• A zip of all the hmt source files that Halo 1's hud_message_text tags were compiled from.

• A zip of all properly indented and perfectly extracted Halo 1 hsc script source files.

• A zip of a backup of the ui/editor tags folder that sapien needs to run.

• A zip of the MEK installer with installation instructions and python installers.

• A zip of a pre-installed copy of the MEK. This is one of my backups, and it still requires python to be installed, AND it is installed portably, so if it doesn't work for you then try actually installing the MEK. If it DOES work for you though, it should be super simple to get it running AND it has the bitmap accelerators pre-compiled for Python3.5 running on 64bit AMD processors.

• Two zips of tags for my tank vehicle, Sophia 3rd. One is pc tags, the other is xbox tags.

• A rar backup of the shadowrun prototype that masterz released.

• A zip backup of my Halo music player, Composer.

The folder also contains a copy of the unreleased "Custom Edition's Finest" for xbox. This is the project that got me so heavily invested in making Halo related tools, and I am really sad to have to release it like this. It was going to be a collection of multiplayer and singleplayer maps we hand-picked from those that the Custom Edition community created. We never got around to balancing things or finishing everything, so there are a lot of unfinished aspects to the maps.

The level geometry itself is great though. We had Delta Ruins, Snowtorn Cove, Portent, Requiem, and Anxiety all ported perfectly. The weapons, and bipeds are mainly what needed a lot of work. For example, Anxiety contains my fixed flamethrower that works on xbox, but the other maps flamethrowers are the original broken ones.

Maridia is the only map that is completely done. It's actually really fun. None of the maps work properly on netplay though. As soon as someone dies, the xbox's desync. We never figured out the reason, but I think I narrowed it down to something with the biped or animation tags.

Also, we had a way of putting as many maps on xbox as we wanted through redirecting the xdemos.xbe string in the halo.xbe to point to another halo.xbe. This allowed us to make multiple maps folders which could be switched between by clicking a "Next" button on the main menu. It would basically load up the pointed to xbe, which would have its own maps folder specified by changing some strings in the xbe. I have included the editor(and its source code) used to modify the xbes to point to each other in a chain.

Have fun.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yfbcfknjq56az2p/AABJxvzlWOSieQPGPTqLMKWla?dl=0
Edited by MosesofEgypt on Jan 16, 2018 at 03:55 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Sounds being wierd...(repost) Jan 16, 2018 01:57 PM (Total replies: 11)

I've made changes to all of my installer's parts and processes. If you can't get the MEK working by following the instructions, then I have yet more things to fix.......

Anyway, here's a link to all the scripts extracted with Refinery.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/l4pswkjqdntfejv/halo1_campaign_script_sources.zip?dl=1

Also, here's a link to a pre-installed copy of the mek. The bitmap accelerator modules have also been compiled for Python 3.5 running on 64bit AMD processors(since that's what I'm running). This is the most recent copy, as it's one of my backups.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/49gqv6du0yjb26u/mek_backup.zip?dl=1

Cheers!
Edited by MosesofEgypt on Jan 16, 2018 at 01:58 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Sounds being wierd...(repost) Jan 15, 2018 05:25 PM (Total replies: 11)

Or open the map in refinery and either rip all the scripts with automatic indention(pretty sure z-team's is all un-indented), or just view the ones you want.

Halo CE General Discussion » Sounds being wierd...(repost) Jan 15, 2018 01:12 AM (Total replies: 11)

Yep, and if you'd like the ability to test the music outside of the game, boy howdy do I have a shameless plug for you!
http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=50342

I plan to be releasing this as an Android app soon for anyone interested in it. Tl; dr it's a music player that plays sound and sound_looping files exactly how you'd hear them played ingame(except for crossfading).

Halo CE General Discussion » Is there a limit for map's size? Jan 14, 2018 02:07 PM (Total replies: 12)

Yeah, except I just did binary search using tool, and found that the max value a verts x, y, or z coordinate can have is 150,000. This means the box is 300,000 x 300,000 x 300,000. Tested with regular tool and os_tool. So much for your king! :P

Also, at that distance, you only have about 2 decimal places of precision in your fractional part. Considering that master chief is 70 units tall, that gives you precision of maybe a tenth of an inch if you account for matrix transform rounding.

Edited by MosesofEgypt on Jan 14, 2018 at 02:34 PM

Time: Sun February 18, 2018 2:18 AM 203 ms.
A Halo Maps Website