A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: BlackRaven117
About Contact
Last Post: May 26, 2013 04:34 AM
Interests: Modding, Swimming, Role playing
Your Age: 9,042
What Games do you play: Halo, The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Valve's entire catalogue
The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.
Email: {hidden}

Post Statistics
BlackRaven117 has contributed to 17 posts out of 469343 total posts (0.00%) in 2,339 days (.01 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE General Discussion » Weapons - Works in Process thread [WIP] May 26, 2013 04:34 AM (Total replies: 14973)

Quote: --- Original message by: Mootjuh
You should've added more details in the high-poly, and fix your low-poly's smoothing groups. at What resolution did you make your Normal Map? I think you should bake at a bit higher resolution.
I'm always baking it at 4096x4096 and size it down on photoshop after all the edits.
Did you apply supersampling?

Also, don't forget to create an Ambient Occlusion map to add to you diffuse.

I baked at 2048x2048, but I had to downscale to a 1024x1024 jpg for p3d.in. I am disgusted by the UV's, and will redo them entirely(unless anybody wishes to volunteer to do them?)

Halo CE General Discussion » Weapons - Works in Process thread [WIP] May 26, 2013 02:41 AM (Total replies: 14973)

http://p3d.in/nNlqw

UV Mapped and baked!

Yes, I am aware of the weird faces, I have no idea.

If anybody would like to volunteer to UV this thing instead, I would be much obliged!
Edited by BlackRaven117 on May 26, 2013 at 04:31 AM
Edited by BlackRaven117 on May 26, 2013 at 04:34 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Weapons - Works in Process thread [WIP] May 24, 2013 09:09 PM (Total replies: 14973)

http://p3d.in/lbXV4+wireonsmooth

Because fetch da popo, I instead resized both the high and low poly models. It def. looks better wider like this. I also beefed up the flashlight to look more like the Halo 4 AR Flashlight. Now time to UV Map this, woo! </sarcasm>
Edited by BlackRaven117 on May 24, 2013 at 09:10 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Weapons - Works in Process thread [WIP] May 22, 2013 06:43 PM (Total replies: 14973)

Quote: --- Original message by: Yoda
Quote: --- Original message by: BlackRaven117

@Yoda

Thanks for the advice! To be honest, I agree that is something that bugs me with the model, but I have already made the High-poly and it was rather tricky to try and resize the charging handle on the High-poly, I don't think I want to test my luck with resizing it to look like it fires a .308 bullet. Either way, this is an MA5B, and we all know the MA5B is designed in a way that is so implausible it could never fire 60 rounds with it's magazine nor even be long enough to work properly as a rifle. :D
Edited by BlackRaven117 on May 22, 2013 at 05:15 PM

I am assuming that you intend to use your high poly model to bake normals for a lowpoly. Is that correct?

If so then after you bake the normals and apply them to the lowpoly model you can simply select the whole gun and use the scale tool on whatever axis is perpendicular to your weapon to make it wider. (maybe de-select the barrel and flashlight to avoid stretching them into ovals) but it should be incredibly simple. What I am suggesting requires almost no work at all. It doesn't need to be much wider, just a little bit.

Like I said before, it is your choice. But I just wanted to point out that it is not a complicated change.

Touche, I will get on to it once I get back to Swim Practice.

Halo CE General Discussion » Weapons - Works in Process thread [WIP] May 22, 2013 05:15 PM (Total replies: 14973)

@Yoda

Thanks for the advice! To be honest, I agree that is something that bugs me with the model, but I have already made the High-poly and it was rather tricky to try and resize the charging handle on the High-poly, I don't think I want to test my luck with resizing it to look like it fires a .308 bullet. Either way, this is an MA5B, and we all know the MA5B is designed in a way that is so implausible it could never fire 60 rounds with it's magazine nor even be long enough to work properly as a rifle. :D
Edited by BlackRaven117 on May 22, 2013 at 05:15 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Weapons - Works in Process thread [WIP] May 22, 2013 05:24 AM (Total replies: 14973)

Thanks! Yeah, I am definitely going to cap those areas, thanks for the advice.

Halo CE General Discussion » Weapons - Works in Process thread [WIP] May 22, 2013 04:19 AM (Total replies: 14973)

Quote: --- Original message by: Yoda
I personally hate consoles, I don't even own an xbox (had to borrow one to play halo 2 and 3, lol). PC games are way more affordable anyway (Steam sales :D )

@BlackRaven117: I really really hate the reach style ammo counter, but your model is looking very nice. It seems a bit to thin, I would recommend scaling it out a bit. (and your charging handle seems too small).

I honestly prefer it at how thin it is, but hey, personal taste.

But I did, however, fix the Charging Handle!

http://p3d.in/lbXV4+wireonsmooth

Halo CE General Discussion » Weapons - Works in Process thread [WIP] May 20, 2013 03:09 AM (Total replies: 14973)

Fixed up back and also added the bolt. Now time to make a low-poly version to bake the normals onto.

EDIT: http://p3d.in/lbXV4 The low-poly model, whopping in at 3,480 tris!
Edited by BlackRaven117 on May 20, 2013 at 04:21 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Weapons - Works in Process thread [WIP] May 19, 2013 02:30 AM (Total replies: 14973)

My apologies for the long amount of time since I last posted an update on my AR.

Just some more details and fixing up the stock, and I will start optimizing the low-poly.

Halo CE General Discussion » Weapons - Works in Process thread [WIP] Apr 30, 2013 11:33 PM (Total replies: 14973)

Quote: --- Original message by: Dumb AI

The AR you're comparing your model to doesn't look like a MA37.

The MA5B model you made looks more like the MA37, as Sgt1337 said.

Edited by Dumb AI on Apr 30, 2013 at 11:09 PM

I guess I should stop referring to it as an MA5B for lack of a better term. In reality, I am trying to create something that looks like an in-between for the MA37 and MA5B. Hence, the MA5-style cowling and reloading port. I also am giving it 60 rounds, rather than 32 when I tag this(I will also make a 32 round version.)

I am only using that MA5C model for scale comparisons.

Halo CE General Discussion » Weapons - Works in Process thread [WIP] Apr 29, 2013 02:10 AM (Total replies: 14973)

Quote: --- Original message by: bourrin33
it looks like being too short, you should extract a model from halo to make sure it's correctly scaled. Otherwise it looks cool

I am using an edited reference photo from Halo Reach and Halo 4. It is slightly longer than an MA37 currently.

Doesn't look too bad?

Halo CE General Discussion » Weapons - Works in Process thread [WIP] Apr 29, 2013 12:28 AM (Total replies: 14973)

Got some more progress on my MA5B done.

I just need to do the Grip, that thing in-between the upper and lower receiver, the extending stock, and probably some floaters before I have a finished High-poly.

Halo CE General Discussion » Weapons - Works in Process thread [WIP] Apr 22, 2013 09:11 PM (Total replies: 14973)

Quote: --- Original message by: Mootjuh
http://i.imgur.com/3mgamFb.jpg

Current progress on the MA5B, working on the body!

Looks good, you may want to post a wireframe and render it next time instead of taking a screenshot. And do you have the Turbosmooth/Meshsmooth modifier on that mesh?

Apologies for the late response!

Yes, there is a turbosmooth on 3 iterations for everything. The barrel is unfinished, and I am unhappy with the way the receiver turned out, so I am redoing it. Thanks for the advice!

Halo CE General Discussion » Weapons - Works in Process thread [WIP] Apr 22, 2013 04:07 AM (Total replies: 14973)

http://i.imgur.com/3mgamFb.jpg

Current progress on the MA5B, working on the body!

Halo CE General Discussion » Weapons - Works in Process thread [WIP] Apr 22, 2013 01:27 AM (Total replies: 14973)

Quote: --- Original message by: jackrabbit
When I am finished with this, sure! But I am intrigued, could I possibly see this concept?
Concept Is from Halo Legends.

This weapon will be for forerunner city.

It's a flood killer weapon. Called The Sanitizer.

Pic.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b108/jackrabbitlight/forerunner_sword_beam_by_haloidfan-d4lr15r_zpsb0729ade.png

Well, it sure seems interesting! I will try working on it when I finish my MA5B.

Halo CE General Discussion » Weapons - Works in Process thread [WIP] Apr 22, 2013 01:12 AM (Total replies: 14973)

When I am finished with this, sure! But I am intrigued, could I possibly see this concept?

Halo CE General Discussion » Weapons - Works in Process thread [WIP] Apr 22, 2013 01:03 AM (Total replies: 14973)

Hello, everybody!

Looking at this thread convinced me to go out and start learning how to 3D Model.
This is something I have concocted in a few hours:

http://i.imgur.com/W6t6vNq.jpg

I was trying to make something like an in-between model of the MA37 and MA5B, any thoughts?

Original terribly-made-in-5-seconds-in-Photoshop reference:

http://i.imgur.com/D5FfTmL.jpg

Time: Mon September 16, 2019 1:05 AM 328 ms.
A Halo Maps Website