A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: Not Inferno
About Contact
Last Post: Feb 7, 2014 04:01 AM
Interests: Programming
Your Age: 21
What Games do you play:
Email: {hidden}

Post Statistics
Not Inferno has contributed to 48 posts out of 469678 total posts (.01%) in 2,430 days (.02 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:

Quote: --- Original message by: goldkilla88
Will support for multiple model file types be a possibility? I don't really like the .obj format.

It depends, I might do ASE or some other common format.

Quote: --- Original message by: MEGASEAN2812
will the TBJ have a blender exporter at launch?

Yes, it's not important right now but I plan on supporting Max, Maya, and Blender.

Quote: --- Original message by: Higuy
Quote: --- Original message by: Not Inferno
DRAK it's been a while. I've been working on a new portfolio and my youtube channel has taken off a bit so I've been focusing on that a little to much.

Here's a video I made for my portfolio pertaining to this project. I tried my best to sound professional heh.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT6erKSnWRg

I'll be getting back to work once I finish up the last few tidbits on my portfolio.

Looks decent.

My only criticism would be that for a portfolio piece, I wouldn't be using ripped Halo assets, rather my own test assets. I know that's something you probably don't want to hear and is kind of the reverse of what your trying to do/not what the engines about, but yeah.

One other thing is that you might want to import more of the textures/create more materials for Portent, as it looks a little unprofessional with checkerboard placeholder textures in the background.

Oh I know, but all those things take a lot of time. Writing the shaders and applying them to the world takes a while to do right now because the tools don't exist to automate it yet. I have to do everything manually in a text editor right now. I know how the tools will work and I've planned them out but I don't want to write them till I absolutely finalize shaders and model formats.

DRAK it's been a while. I've been working on a new portfolio and my youtube channel has taken off a bit so I've been focusing on that a little to much.

Here's a video I made for my portfolio pertaining to this project. I tried my best to sound professional heh.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT6erKSnWRg

I'll be getting back to work once I finish up the last few tidbits on my portfolio.

I decided sleep wasn't worth it and debugged server > player location interactions. Issue was something rather unexpected and took forever to figure out. (physics locations didn't propogate post tick transforms immideately which caused issues in a rare case where the server wanted to move a player owned object... TLDR version: I'm a drakn casul faglet nigrish)

I also set up inventories on the server side so now it syncs properly (funny bug of the day, I tried to cast a Packet31Pickup to a Packet32Drop and I felt really dumb when it crashed)

So yeah, I still need to code the functions for Packet30InventorySync so that inventories are registered and synchronized on a gamestate sync but that's a job for another day.

Quote: --- Original message by: cippozzo

lol i want the source and make it in C# XD
But I think Java is a good language, but it's not faster than C,C++ and C#... So make the code good I want to port 12D on DirectX and OpenGL for Linux, Windows and something called Mac.
Edited by cippozzo on Jan 2, 2014 at 02:29 AM

Jesus Christ how horrifying. Did you drink 3 energy drinks before writing that post?

Quote: --- Original message by: MEGASEAN2812
How will we be able to carry over what we accomplished in Halo CE? Are we gonna have to get our tags and reimport them? Are we still gonna have to worry about overlapping in BSP? Do we still need nodes and markerz? XD

12D tags are different from halo tags. BSPs in 12D are really really easy. Open edges / intersections / overlapping geometry isn't a problem. The physics engine is a lot more modern than Halo's so you don't really need to worry too much about it.

Nodes and markers? Yeah you will still need those for animated models and ragdolls and stuff.

Yeah, self lighting works.
Also, I'm working on a new portfolio for some job applications. I did some new shaders for portent.

I've been busy because of Xmas but I had some time today to work on stuff. I ported all the new physics features to the server and got that all working and then I messed with inventories and items and stuff. Here's the vidya.

New Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od2saD564-o

Don't make me throw an oversized sniper rifle at your head.

Quote: --- Original message by: ZOBI3KING
http://halo.bungie.net/inside/publications.aspx
You might find the "Illusion of Intelligence" powerpoint helpful for AI. It has some nice documents that might be useful to you. I just read the whole thing about balancing for gameplay.

It's not a priority right now but I'll keep it in mind.

Quote: --- Original message by: goldkilla88

So how does world creating worlds/BSP go with this so far? Are there any rules such as closed-world like Halo CE?
Edited by goldkilla88 on Dec 20, 2013 at 05:53 PM

It's more like a combination of UE3 and Halo. There are no rules on geometry but you should probably try and make sure your collision mesh doesn't have many open edges. You can make your maps of multiple small pieces (like static meshes in UE3) or one big BSP (like halo).

No need to compile lightmaps (dynamic lighting) and no need to compile bsp (runtime bsp building).

Haha I'd post it here as well but I can't format the post right on this forum. :P

But thanks for the laugh, I love it when people try to insult my intelligence while acting immature. It's gr8.

Quote: --- Original message by: Dwood
Ai is a whole other ball-game than mp, and I have yet to see any indication of including ai to any degree.

Implementing AI wouldn't be too hard TBH, I could make a dumb ai that walks around blindly and shoots at you in about an hour, the hard part would be making it smart. :P

Quote: --- Original message by: Tommyhill98
will the project include things like firefight, boarding, assassinations, normal maps, rag-doll physics and (dare I ask) splitscreen/online functionality/co-op
also do you have a website on the engine at all?

Ragdoll physics - yes
Co-op / Multiplayer - yes
The other stuff would be parts of actor sub classes (which I have not worked on in detail). That stuff may or may not be in the engine. I don't know.
The website for the engine is just my youtube channel and the 2 threads for the project. I'll make an actual website later on.
Quote: --- Original message by: MEGAVKNG2
How will all the accomplishments made in the actual Halo ce game carry over to this?

By accomplishments you mean? Like open sauce features? Because yes, it should have everything halo has and much more.

Sorry no video today, can't really make one easily. There is a huge post explainng changes and advancements in the modacity thread. I can't copy paste it because #BBcode2013YOLOBlazeit.

So here's a link. Enjoy~

http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?25293-Sup-driggers-I-m-back-and-I-m-still-slaving-away.&p=651008&viewfull=1#post651008

-e

I'll answer new questions tomorrow, I need to sleep. Bump this pls kthx.
Edited by Not Inferno on Dec 20, 2013 at 04:21 AM

Quote: --- Original message by: Dwood
porting yoyov2 would be more effective in debugging lol

Might port that later. I think portent is higher poly though.

Whats the collision of that sniper look like? it looks really odd rolling/sliding off the hill. - maybe its just wierd mass/friction etc?
Edited by Higuy on Dec 14, 2013 at 10:12 AM

It's a convex hull (think like a shrink warp) around the sniper. The reason it looks odd is because it has a super low mass for it's size and it's LOL HUEG. The scale is all wrong right now (gravity/object size/mass proportions). That kind of stuff isn't really important at the moment and just requires lots of tweaking.

Quote: --- Original message by: Tommyhill98
will this have vanilla halo assets or custom or what? either way, good luck

A direct port I believe. I'll include good custom maps.

Quote: --- Original message by: Xtralaos
The last video doesn't work.
Anyway , I can't wait to see more stuff from you!

Fixed.

So a LOT was worked on today in a pretty short amount of time. Most importantly I have worked on the physics BSP so it is now almost 100 times faster than before. The physics BSP of Portent is 41k triangles unoptimized and it is running pretty smooth. The engine now supports convex hull collision objects. Basically you can make a convex hull for a gun or a vehicle of a piece of scenery and then it will have physics and roll around and shaz. It's really easy to do, takes about 2 minutes in 3ds max. I also ported Portent over as well. I only made a couple of shaders (making shaders is a bit time consuming) but it's looking pretty nice. I've noticed some bugs in the lighting engine but that's a task for another day. Cheers everyone, and thanks for following the project.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYBVqLSYJ7Q

Quote: --- Original message by: Banshee64
sorry.

It's not going to work.

I hate you.
Edited by Not Inferno on Dec 14, 2013 at 02:10 AM

Quote: --- Original message by: Banshee64
not going to work

Context is important.

It fell off! It went there! It was cold!

I did some work today. Got hitscan collision detection working so now I can have bullets. Here's a test video I made:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYBVqLSYJ7Q
BTW someone post after me. I'd like to keep all the updates in this thread but I can't self bump haha.
Edited by Not Inferno on Dec 10, 2013 at 11:00 PM
Edited by Not Inferno on Dec 14, 2013 at 08:57 PM

Shouldn't you be playing SAO or something?

Jokes aside, yes, the engine will be open source. I need to hire a lawyer at some point to write a terms of use though.
Edited by Not Inferno on Dec 6, 2013 at 02:14 AM

Just finished some work for the day, mods now work. Quick video demonstration:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyqCP4KFgKM

If you have no idea what your doing with programming, then yes, its going to be hard. If you have an understanding of object oriented programming than you can probably learn java pretty easily, but don't expect stellar results in a couple days I'd think.

I currently just got done with my first course of it at college, alot of just basic stuff, wasn't too difficult. I'm currently on my own time trying to learn C++ and OpenGL to eventually help out with ex-TM lead members super secret upcoming project but its no easy task by any means. Stuff like Infernos 12D has been in the works for over a year, if I am not mistaken.

On that note, it's look great so far Inferno. Whens the beta?

2 years actually. The project is 26,000 lines of code last time I checked.
As for a beta test, I'm going to need to do an actual multiplayer test (not a LAN test) for physics sync, interaction, and hit detection, sooner or later. Basically as soon as I resolve the few remaining physics problems. As for gameplay testing, it's a ways off. I have a big list of things that are FUBAR or ugly or slow that I'm going through. A good game is built on a good engine, there is no reason to even touch "gameplay" until the engine is rock solid in every aspect.

Quote: --- Original message by: greg079
i prefer dx11's post effects, sorry but i like to have configurable eyecandy. (no but srsly can u add parallax support and normal map support at least, plz?)
so 12d no longer uses java, must've been a tough ground up rewrite to keep all of the features!
i get that your implementation is nice, but if users can edit things like tags or collisions, then u have to force all users to download any edits/modifications to the original file, for mp to work properly.

Post processing is already built in and you can do whatever you want with it. I did a bad bloom shader mod at once point to test it.

Still using java.

The server will automatically distribute mods to the players when they join.

Edited by Not Inferno on Dec 4, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Quote: --- Original message by: TheChunkierBean
ROFL should have realized The Havok SDL on their website was for C++! But I have to say, this is one of the most advanced Java FPS engines I've seen. How did you even get the models in?! 😆

I use the standard OBJ specification for importing regular models, for rigged/skinned models I use a custom format and an exporter I wrote called TBJ. Animations use a custom format and exporter called TAF.

I'm using OpenGL 4.1 not Direct X. It's better.

Havok costs money, and I doubt you can get a Java port of it haha.

The implementation of mods within the engine can do the exact same things that halo mods do + more stuff.

Quote: --- Original message by: Lolman
are you fully replicating the halo engines physics, ai, etc? or are you gonna add a few things like, idk, ragdolls?

As of right now I only have plans to make an improved version of Halo CE multiplayer. Proper hit detection, proper physics, lag compensation, etc.

Quote: --- Original message by: TheChunkierBean
That is.... pretty awesome. What did use for it and what scripting language is it written in?

It's a custom engine written in Java.
I use LWJGL, OpenGL, and Bullet3D.
Edited by Not Inferno on Dec 4, 2013 at 07:40 PM

Quote: --- Original message by: DOOM899
it can.t be it not halo ce and that that
and will not be
Edited by DOOM899 on Dec 4, 2013 at 06:27 PM

Is this guy a troll or something? I may be jumping to conclusions but that is some seriously hard to read English.

Time: Sat January 25, 2020 2:46 PM 203 ms.
A Halo Maps Website