A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: ScottishCaptain
About Contact
Last Post: Aug 7, 2013 12:53 AM
Interests:
Your Age:
What Games do you play:
Email: {hidden}

Post Statistics
ScottishCaptain has contributed to 2 posts out of 465376 total posts (0.00%) in 2,436 days (0.00 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE General Discussion » Adjutant 3.2.0.0 - Release Aug 7, 2013 12:53 AM (Total replies: 834)

Quote: --- Original message by: master noobIIRC, head meshes are stored as a different format than EMF due to the motion-cap facial animations, as opposed to the EMF format's bone-based animation.

Interesting.

Do you know where this data is? Can it even be extracted through Adjutant? I can't seem to find any evidence or reference to it within the program, but then again I can't seem to really extract much of anything so I have no idea what I'm looking at other then what the plugins seem to want to show me. I'd love to take a crack at making sense of it, but for that to happen I need access to the data first.

This all sounds remarkably similar to a low budget game I worked on around '05. They were pulling data in straight off a mocap rig and literally encoding it into a vertex level animation file format that the game engine could read in to animate the facial mesh of the characters. Of course, there was still a base mesh that the engine used to deform- but there weren't any bones or anything behind the facial "rig". Just a bunch of animation data and a whole bunch of scripting that figured out which animation to play, how to blend some of them together, etc.

It sounds like Halo is doing something similar. But there's still gotta be a base mesh there for the engine to animate, and that should at least be extractable even if the animation data isn't (without some serious work anyways).

-SC
Edited by ScottishCaptain on Aug 7, 2013 at 01:00 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Adjutant 3.2.0.0 - Release Aug 6, 2013 07:55 PM (Total replies: 834)

Wow, topics on this forum get derailed fast and detonate like a train full of high explosives.

On the subject of Adjutant and the missing heads: Is this occurring because the head mesh contains multiple meshes (eyeballs + head)? I've noticed that a lot of the humanoid bipeds will export eyeballs, but not the head mesh- which makes me think that Adjutant simply isn't parsing or locating the head mesh properly.

I know folks have said that there's a good chance they're stored elsewhere, but that doesn't make much sense. There are literally no references to the heads elsewhere, and the materials are included in each *.map file. Because of the way Blam appears to work, each *.map file should contain *all* the resources that particular level requires. So I can't see why the meshes would be separated from everything else, especially when the textures aren't (we're talking about a couple hundred kilobytes of polygons).

Slightly OT: does anyone know of a tool that will batch extract the contents of the *.map cache files, or decrypt/uncompress it enough that one could sort through the data manually?

-SC

Time: Sun April 5, 2020 12:13 AM 234 ms.
A Halo Maps Website