A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: antarctico
About Contact
Last Post: Feb 16, 2018 06:52 PM
Interests:
Your Age:
What Games do you play:

Post Statistics
antarctico has contributed to 7 posts out of 469466 total posts (0.00%) in 2,298 days (0.00 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE General Discussion » Halo CE v1.0.10 Plus Radeon 5970 Equals WTF Feb 16, 2018 06:52 PM (Total replies: 3)

Damn, that's one I have not heard of before. I will give this a try -- thanks!

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo CE v1.0.10 Plus Radeon 5970 Equals WTF Feb 16, 2018 01:28 AM (Total replies: 3)

For giggles I picked up a Radeon 5970 (Crossfire on a single card) off ebay for my budget gaming rig. Tonight I fired up Halo CE v1.0.10 for some online action, got the start up splash screen, the resolution switched to my preferred 1600x1200, and then my FPS counter went into rolling four digits and instead of the game UI I got these trippy patterns of flashing black bars overlaying the splash screen image. The UI was up, but not visible. I had to control-alt-delete and kill Halo with the Task Manager. On the other hand, non-Custom Edition Halo v1.0.9 runs fine. Anyone have any ideas what's going on?

OK, I got this. I had previously forced the card's antialiasing (not anisotropic filtering!) to 4X for another game. I reset this to "application control" and this got CE working. It is odd that 1.0.9 did not get disturbed by this where 1.0.10.
Edited by antarctico on Feb 16, 2018 at 03:06 AM
Edited by antarctico on Feb 16, 2018 at 07:24 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » No Custom Maps With OpenSauce Aug 27, 2017 08:51 PM (Total replies: 8)

SAPP is built to use HAC2, and without it things such as multi-team vehicle usage will break plus some warp/lag codes will no longer work iirc meaning you won't have as smooth a time as a HAC2 user.

I know about SAPP, but I didn't realize its performance had any dependency on HAC2. Chimera, I have not heard about this one before. So, assuming I want to play single-player OS/Yelo maps, and use HAC2 for online play, is there a way to toggle between OS and HAC2, or do I need to uninstall OS?

Halo CE General Discussion » No Custom Maps With OpenSauce Aug 20, 2017 02:58 PM (Total replies: 8)

I use OS for the expanded FOV and the better visuals. I know I can change the FOV with HAC, but you lose all the extra shader action, and I am not sure I can adjust the first person weapons positioning to compensate for the increased FOV. So, if possible, I would like to get OS to recognize my custom multiplayer maps.

Halo CE General Discussion » No Custom Maps With OpenSauce Aug 20, 2017 03:57 AM (Total replies: 8)

With OpenSauce installed over my Halo CE v1.0.10 none of my custom maps appear in my map list when trying to start a new multiplayer game, only the original Bungie maps appear. Also, if I try to join a game in progress that is running a custom map, I get a message along the lines of "Can't connect to server...". If I uninstall OpenSauce, all my downloaded custom maps are available in my map list and I can join custom map games in progress. Any ideas as to what my malfunction is?

Quote: --- Original message by: greg079

better halo1 maps port u say... i'd love to see that. turn the texture noise into grain (if u don't know what that is don't ask), use 1k textures, fix the UVs, and give everything a bump (or parallax). add some better animations, i'd love to see gamma927, flame omega, odx, and teh lag do the animations for that (they know their stuff, but i prefer gamma927 and flame omega's more stylized animations). maybe get ifaudafi (sry for misspelling) to redo the particles. and then yeah... that whole draw-distance thing.

Yep, that would all be great, but I also want to be able to play the original single player campaign just like it originally looked in Halo, but with some of the cool visual updates provided by OpenSauce. You know, really, with the bump mapping and specular highlights that Gearbox added, if you turn all the graphic options all the way up, you keep the games gamma (brightness) at the dark default, and if your monitor is properly adjusted for black level, white level, and gamma (2.2) -- regular old Halo looks pretty damn good. If you start talking about Custom Edition, throw in the FXAA anti-aliasing and bloom OpenSauce adds, and the game almost looks sort of semi-modern.
Edited by antarctico on Aug 7, 2013 at 07:15 PM

Quote: theres been a visual problem that's been bugging me for a while, especially on single player maps, its where sometimes for a quick quarter of a second, every few seconds, a bit of the map would flash away, idk if its called a poly limit or what but if someone knows what I mean, can they help me fix this problem? its weird playing lumoria and see the land vanish and see floating rivers

exhibit A:

http://www.xfire.com/screenshots/128614582

theres supposed to be a wall to the left

I have seen similar errors (smearing at poly edges, etc.) in playing the CE ports of "The Silent Cartographer" and "Two Betrayals". Another odd error you might have noticed are the missing holographs from the Control Room bay door switches at the start of "Two Betrayals". These are porting errors caused when the original maps were stripped into their parts and then recompiled to make the Halo Custom Edition compatible maps. All of the original maps were ported by Renamon back in 2006, and there were clearly, in places, kind of a sloppy job.

Why would anyone want to play the original campaign maps under CE? For me, it is so I can uses OpenSauce to make my game look better, just like I have started to do in my multiplayer maps. Being able to bump up my FOV to 90 degrees is another. It would be awesome, if someone were to take another whack at porting the original maps, but do it more carefully. :)

Time: Thu November 21, 2019 10:45 PM 203 ms.
A Halo Maps Website