A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: InigoMontoya
About Contact
Last Post: Mar 22, 2014 11:54 PM
Interests:
Your Age:
What Games do you play:

Post Statistics
InigoMontoya has contributed to 23 posts out of 469347 total posts (0.00%) in 2,033 days (.01 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:

I've had issues getting either Guerilla or Kornman2 to open up certain model_animations tags, specifically ones located under cinematics\animations.

I can specifically confirm an issue opening tag cinematics\animations\cortana\level_specific\b40.model_animations. On opening the tag, the program immediately closes and gives no specific error message in the debug.txt file;

03.22.14 23:38:11 guerilla pc 01.00.00.0609 ----------------------------------------------
03.22.14 23:38:11 reference function: _write_to_error_file
03.22.14 23:38:11 reference address: 4011a4
03.22.14 23:38:11 Couldn't read map file './guerillabeta.map'

The tags were extracted using the most recent version of HEK+, and I am able to open and adjust other model_animations tags without issue, also having been extracted with the same program. Is this a known issue? Should I try to find a different tag extractor, or will it not make much of a difference?

Acquire 3ds max.

Open your tree's scenery model using the GBXModel importer.

Duplicate the tree 9-10 times, moving it around.

Extend the bottom verts downwards significantly.

Make sure your UVW's are all still good, export the model.

Seal up edges, export the collision. Or create a new collision model that fits the multiple trees.

Place your new multi-tree scenery items.

Doing that you're going to drastically cut down on the lag in your map as well, even though you're rendering the same amount there's less objects to keep track of. Adjust your Render Bounding Radius and Bounding Radius to match the size of your new scenery tags.

Halo CE General Discussion » Bluestreak JMS Exporter with 3ds Max 2010 Mar 8, 2014 11:25 PM (Total replies: 6)

I'm sorry I thought I had put that in the first post. It says there was no geometry to export, as though nothing was linked to the frame. Moving the node Frame Gun moves every other object and frame, so I don't believe that to be the case. It works if I convert the model to a mesh and then manually link it to the frame, but this makes it a solid object and breaks animations.

Halo CE General Discussion » Bluestreak JMS Exporter with 3ds Max 2010 Mar 8, 2014 07:21 PM (Total replies: 6)

And you don't have to do anything funny inbetween importing and exporting? So you can import a model with the GBXModel Importer and run the .JMS exporter without doing anything to the model yes?

If so something must just be wrong with my copy of 3ds max.

Halo CE General Discussion » sound wont play. Mar 8, 2014 07:18 PM (Total replies: 9)

Well, I'm not going to sit and ask you questions about what you've done wrong if you're not going to actually answer them. You have to explain your issue, you have to give details, you have to give the process that you went through. When you're asking for help, you have to explain your problem.

We aren't sitting at your computer with your tags in front of us, we're trying to guess at what part of a process you did incorrectly, and the only thing we have is your post. So when you say "My sound doesn't play what's wrong?" and somebody has to ask what type of sound it is, that's a terrible start. Then when somebody else asks you how you referenced the tag in the animations, you just say "yes".

You've literally given us absolutely nothing at all to help us figure out what you did with this sound tag, except that it's an OGG sound with a quality of 1. I would love to help you but you're not giving me anything to work with.

Chances are you need to compile your sound as an Xbox ADPCM as opposed to OGG, if I recall correctly sounds for effects like the reload should be compiled as that type of format.

Besides that, if you're not hearing anything at all it's probably because the sound isn't referenced correctly. But then again, I don't even know if you're hearing nothing, or the old reloading sound, because you haven't even tried explaining your issue.

So, if you're hoping someone will still help you out, this is what you should be answering;

What did you do? HOW did you do it, what programs, what process, what steps did you take? Where did you reference the sound tag? Did you just add it into the animations tag or did you specifically set the reloading animation to use it? Are you hearing any sound at all or is completely silent? What animation tag did you use, and is your weapon using that animation? Where in the animation did you reference the sound?

Best of luck.

Halo CE General Discussion » Bluestreak JMS Exporter with 3ds Max 2010 Mar 8, 2014 06:46 PM (Total replies: 6)

Now, I've used the JMS exporter before without issues, and I've used the GBX model importer before, also without problems. And I've used both of these with 3DS Max 2010.

Now, anytime that I import a model, it refuses to acknowledge the geometry when I try to export it with the JMS exporter. I've used versions 1.01, and a 1.02 version. For the GBXmodel importer, I've used versions 2.0 and 2.05.

Apparently Bluestreak isn't recognizing the Skin modifier, because the only way to get it to work is after importing, converting it to an editable mesh and then linking it to the frame. This is unacceptable obviously, as it completely breaks animations.

So, what am I doing wrong here? Anyone care to fill me in on how I should be doing this, because my memory is failing me and I've been unable to find anyone with similar issues. I'm obviously doing it wrong here, but don't know how or why.

Halo CE General Discussion » sound wont play. Mar 8, 2014 06:05 PM (Total replies: 9)

And how are you referencing the sound tag? You went to the fp_animation tag and set the animations to use that sound somehow, yes?

Halo CE General Discussion » sound wont play. Mar 8, 2014 06:01 PM (Total replies: 9)

What tag did you reference the sound from? How did you compile the sound? What type did you set the sound to?

Unfortunately, saying "It doesn't play why not?" isn't providing any information we can use to help you out. The sound tag should work, so there should be some part of the process you did incorrectly, the only way we can help you narrow down which part isn't right is if you explain how you did it.

Halo CE General Discussion » Lens Flares and Weapon Zoom Issue Mar 6, 2014 10:21 PM (Total replies: 4)

Is there any alternative? Light_Volumes and Glow tags don't show up in FP.

Halo CE General Discussion » Lens Flares and Weapon Zoom Issue Mar 6, 2014 08:48 PM (Total replies: 4)

I'm attaching light tags to weapons, those light tags have lens flares associated with them. However, when zooming in with the weapon, the lens flare remains visible, and doesn't move from where the weapon entered zoom.

So if I'm walking backwards and zoom in, the lens flare is just randomly floating in the sky.

I've tried to work around it by changing the distance at which the flare is visible, but I'd rather fix the actual problem if it's a possibility.

The light tag is being attached in the .weapon tag and is assigned to a marker in the FP model.

I've searched the forum and internet without being able to find anyone mention issues with this.

Halo CE General Discussion » [WIP] Carthage Mar 6, 2014 12:49 AM (Total replies: 24)

Quote: --- Original message by: Bungie LLC

Thanks Echo. I knew I wasn't the only one who has always wanted this.

I know attempting to implement a feature such as this may be splitting hairs, but I would be overjoyed to see it in here. I'm really big on details such as this (and I know Echo is), and I've always longed to see a well-made map with this kind of feature included that wasn't one of my own.

Funny you guys say that; The Beam Rifle originated as a Needle Rifle which did just that. It fired a slow-moving needle that attached, did small amounts of damage over time and "stunned" the enemy, so that they would move slowly. The screen would flash slightly white too, it was a "poison dart" gun.

But I wanted the Beam Rifle to have a standard attack function since the primary trigger is solely useful against banshees. I'm thinking I'll set the carbine's charged-shot to do the effect now. Or at the very least, I'll look into it.

Halo CE General Discussion » Sound Looping Crash (Exception Error) Mar 5, 2014 01:10 PM (Total replies: 2)

And that fixed it. I had thought of that, but never tried it. Much much obliged, I owe you quite a debt of gratitude.

Halo CE General Discussion » Sound Looping Crash (Exception Error) Mar 5, 2014 12:24 PM (Total replies: 2)

I've spent the past couple weeks trying to compile a sound tag and get it to loop. I can compile it fine, it plays fine in Guerilla/Kornman, but when it goes to loop in either Sapien or Ingame, it crashes. If it crashes in Sapien, I get the following error message

03.05.14 12:03:51  EAX: 0x00000000
03.05.14 12:03:51 EBX: 0x00000002
03.05.14 12:03:51 ECX: 0x0000001F
03.05.14 12:03:51 EDX: 0x012C5B10
03.05.14 12:03:51 EDI: 0x00000000
03.05.14 12:03:51 ESI: 0x0119D7C0
03.05.14 12:03:51 EBP: 0x0012EB48
03.05.14 12:03:51 ESP: 0x0012EAE0
03.05.14 12:03:51 EIP: 0x010A1183, D9 03 85 C0 ?????
03.05.14 12:03:51 00641F64 ?????
03.05.14 12:03:51 10003B01 ?????
03.05.14 12:03:51 EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION

The Exception Error lists HaloCE as the program, and Vorbis.dll as the "mod name" or something similar to that.

To preface; I've updated my OGG.dll, Vorbis.dll, and Vorbisfile.dll, with multiple different versions, none of which helped. I've compiled the sound tag as a single, long sound, as several 45 second permutations, and even as several 15 second permutations. I've followed a half dozen different tutorials, compiled with different OGG quality setting from 0.1 to 41000, I've seen someone say that the min/max distance can cause a crash so I've set those to 0, didn't help.

I've searched this forum using Google (site:forum.halomaps.org) and read at least a couple dozen different topics with the same issue. None of those topics have any answers that have actually worked, most of them don't have any answers at all.

I run Windows XP SP3, I have a 3.4 GHz Quad Core and 3 GB of RAM. Halo CE is updated to 1.09 and this is the only crashes that are in the game.

Does anybody out there know what the reason for these crashes are? I know that people can compile these tags, that's what's most frustrating.

More info;

The sound_looping is referenced by a generic scenery item, it's a scenery tag with a model and an attachment for the sound_looping. There is no collision etc., but the problem cannot be here because the sound plays fine. It's the looping that causes an error.

Screenshots of the Tags;

I'm linking them because they're larger than the allowed size here;

http://imageshack.com/a/img19/4327/6z83.png

http://imageshack.com/a/img43/9580/e5bf.png

Command in Tool;

tool sounds levels\test\carthage\sounds\interior_noise ogg 1

tool sounds levels\test\carthage\sounds\interior_noise ogg 0.1

tool sounds levels\test\carthage\sounds\interior_noise ogg 41000

All of them, Tool compresses and compiles the sound tag fine, plays in Guerilla without issue.

Should I compile them with a different Codec than the ogg? Should I use the xbox adpcm? I'm lost here guys.

Halo CE General Discussion » change the camera dead animation? Mar 4, 2014 09:33 PM (Total replies: 4)

There is no tag for the "dead camera" as far as I'm aware. It's an engine controlled thing I'm fairly certain.

Halo CE General Discussion » sapien fps locked at 30 Mar 2, 2014 06:24 PM (Total replies: 8)

"Increasing" the FPS won't actually help.

If you're having issues rendering your map at 30fps, why do you think you would be able to do it at a higher value?

If you have an abundance of tags, you should use Child Scenarios to help that. Create a scenario tag with the same BSP and skies as the original, and place all your scenery in that scenario alone. Then reference it as a "Child Scenario" in your main scenario tag, when the game loads all your scenery will be there.

In Sapien, none of it will load, so it will run much much faster.

Also, just an FYI, Halo is locked at 30fps as well. Even if you run at no-Vsync and get 300fps, it's actually just showing the same frame 10 times. Or so I've been told at least, I can't confirm that but have no reason to doubt the person who told me.

So for Halo, a higher framerate isn't actually making any difference.

Halo CE General Discussion » [WIP] Carthage Mar 2, 2014 05:11 PM (Total replies: 24)

Quote: --- Original message by: Masters1337
It be cool if you could do a beep beep sound when it's fully charged. I always like multiple indicators, in the heat of combat people won't want to take their eyes off the target. Nice function work though, keep it up.

It has the standard plasma pistol charging sound as a placeholder for right now. I can probably swap it out for something a little more obvious, it's hard to tell when the charge has reached it's max just by the humming of the chargeup.

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo Coop with Open Sauce? Is it possible? Mar 2, 2014 03:48 PM (Total replies: 16)

It's kinda tricky, IIRC you have to name bipeds, assign AI to them, and then constantly attach/detach vehicles. Then when they die, whisk them away to be respawned again elsewhere. If you were to make a campaign, I think the max limit is 50 (50 AI+50 Vehicles).

So let's say you used 30 to make sure nothing crashes if a max object limit was reached, you have to constantly move dead bipeds and vehicles off the map, then teleport them ahead of the player into the new encounters. Now let's say a player runs straight through an area without killing any of the AI, and the other player stays behind shooting them. Your scripts would have to know which bipeds are being used at all times, and then divert and use other ones.

It's just a lot of "what if the player does this" that can cause it to malfunction.

And if I had to guess, they're laggy even on low pings because they're being attached/detached constantly. So what you're seeing as laggy teleporting is actually just the time inbetween the vehicle being attached to the AI, then detached and syncing for the players.

Halo CE General Discussion » [WIP] Carthage Mar 2, 2014 02:04 PM (Total replies: 24)

http://youtu.be/1JSGuTptzqI

Video I made for the Carbine. I was learning how functions work and changed the ammo meter into a charging meter. As it gets to full charge, the bar circles around, when fully charged the symbol in the center lights up green.

Pretty neat, helped me understand how those things work finally. I need to increase the charging time on the weapon though, it's way too fast as is.

Halo CE General Discussion » [WIP] Carthage Mar 1, 2014 04:44 PM (Total replies: 24)

Quote: --- Original message by: Masters1337
This is pretty cool and creative, and seems to be pretty well thought out. The only thing that I don't like is the shotguns secondary fire mode, I expect players to either use it the first opportunity they can, never use it, or discard the weapon after using it.

I'd love to see a Single Player map with this stuff, even if it's just a mod of an existing firefight map or stock campaign.

Thank you, I greatly appreciate your compliments. They mean quite a bit.

I'll most likely work on a single player map after this, modeling a BSP for it as well. I had been working on one prior to this, but when moving files onto my new computer lost about half the work I had done.

As per the shotgun, any advice or suggestions? I agree with the point you made, it's very likely to be used right away, but if someone picks the weapon off a body they can never be sure it's actually there. So a player may run to an enemy, attempt to burn them, and discover too late that it's been used already.

I could make it a stream of fire, either overheating very quickly or using a secondary magazine. A weapon using both age and magazines don't work properly as far as I've been able to tell.

Or I could remove or replace it, but I really don't have many thoughts on what else could be used as a secondary function for it. If it's just plain, while it's definitely more functional than the standard Halo shotgun as far as range and spread, it certainly won't be used as much as I'd want it to be.

Halo CE General Discussion » [WIP] Carthage Mar 1, 2014 04:25 PM (Total replies: 24)

Much obliged Maniac1000, thank you for posting those.

Time: Mon September 23, 2019 10:13 AM 172 ms.
A Halo Maps Website