A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: ProphetOfCharity
About Contact
Last Post: Jul 11, 2014 05:21 PM
Interests:
Your Age:
What Games do you play:

Post Statistics
ProphetOfCharity has contributed to 8 posts out of 469153 total posts (0.00%) in 1,935 days (0.00 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE General Discussion » CMT RETURNS! New project and team details inside! Jul 11, 2014 05:21 PM (Total replies: 12123)

Quote: --- Original message by: BobtheGreatII

Masterz is the only one working on SPV3. Not all of CMT. Almost all of CMT is focused on the release of B30:E.

So SPV3, is just a side project, by Masterz? While the rest of the team works, on TSC:E.

Quote: --- Original message by: BobtheGreatII

Things like the BR display are largly argued against within the team (especially by me), but Masterz is "in charge" of it.

And the things he's doing are things, the rest of the team doesn't want.

It sounds like SPV3, is just a way to make Masterz un-involved, without having to fire him. While everybody else works on TSC:E. Meaning, CMT isn't working on two projects, really. It's that CMT is working on TSC:E, but don't want Masterz involved. So they "let" him do SPV3, instead. That would explain why the BSP, looks so weird, now. Compared to TSC:E, last year. And why it's always, only Masterz posting. And why CMT are still doing campaign mods, when they're also doing a completely new level.

I'm not saying, that's what it is. We can't know, really. But, it sounds like there's a lot of disagreement. CMT's said that SPV3, and TSC:E, are using different weapons. And now, that SPV3 is just Masterz. And to not blame the rest of CMT, for what doesn't look good, in SPV3. That sounds to me, like CMT isn't feeling good, about SPV3.

I hope, I'm just being pessimistic. I want to enjoy, whatever CMT releases. I guess we can see more clearly, when we see CE3.

Halo CE General Discussion » CMT RETURNS! New project and team details inside! Jun 18, 2014 12:31 PM (Total replies: 12123)

Quote: --- Original message by: Masters1337
You guys can stop with the suggestions on how to make it awesome and take a long time to do. AS I stated earlier, the goal is to have the same level of detail here as the rest of Bungie's stock BSPs.

That's disappointing. CMT's weapons, and new units, like the Jackal, look really good. If we're going to play through all these stock maps, for the hundredth time, it's disappointing that they won't be more detailed. CMT's Truth & Reconciliation, from 2012, had a new aesthetic. The snow made it feel different. And there were definitely some new things. Like ice pools.

Does this mean we're not going to see anything else, like that? 13 years later, no change in detail? The TSC:E videos from last year, had pretty detailed BSPs. So I know CMT is capable of it. It'll be especially weird, to have all these new assets, clashing with the old BSPs.

Halo CE General Discussion » CMT RETURNS! New project and team details inside! May 27, 2014 08:12 PM (Total replies: 12123)

Quote: --- Original message by: Dumb AI
Maybe automatic weapons can all get some level of stunning ability, slowing down or stopping targets with sustained fire.

That could help. But it doesn't really solve the problem. Which is that automatic weapons all kill more slowly, than headshot weapons.

In the end, it comes down to how quickly the weapon kills. The Sniper Rifle is harder to use, than the Battle Rifle. But nobody will pick up a Battle Rifle, if they could pick a Sniper Rifle, instead. Because the Sniper Rifle kills more quickly. The only limit is ammo, because it's a power weapon. But I don't think the CMT Battle Rifle, the CMT Pistol, and any other CMT headshot weapons, are all power weapons. So ammo won't be an issue. Especially since there are apparently so many.

This problem really wasn't in Halo 1. In Halo 1, only the Pistol, and Sniper Rifle, were headshot weapons. And the Sniper Rifle was rare, and didn't have much ammo. Outisde of Truth & Reconciliation, which was just a one-off. So the Pistol was the only headshot weapon, that you'd use most of the time. So chances are you'd carry at least one non-headshot weapon, most of the time. But that's not all.

Other Halo 1 weapons, killed faster than the Pistol, in certain situations. The Needler could kill Elites more quickly, because of the super combine. The Assault Rifle could kill lots of Grunts, and Jackals, because of the high rate of fire. The Plasma Rifle, and Plasma Pistol, stripped shields more quickly. The Pistol was still better at mid to long range. Especially against Grunts, and Jackals. But the Needler was better at mid range, against Elites. And the Assault Rifle was better at close range, against Grunts and Jackals. And the Plasma Rifle could make the Pistol, or Assault Rifle, even better, at close to mid range. And the Shotgun, and Sniper Rifle, were better at short, and long range.

Don't misread that. It's not about "range." It's that there are situations, where each weapon kills more enemies, more quickly, than all the other weapons. And, importantly, those situations happen all the time.

Halo 2, and onward, changed that, by adding more headshot weapons. And focusing on them. Because there are more headshot weapons, it's easier to carry nothing else. And in Halo 2 and 3, automatics being dual-wieldable, except the Halo 3 Assault Rifle, made them even worse. Since they were only good when you gave up grenades, by dual-wielding them. Even the Halo 3 Assault Rifle was still worse, than the Battle Rifle. Because unlike the Halo 1 Assault Rifle, it wasn't better in any situation, than the Battle Rifle. And then Reach made automatics even worse. And headshot weapons even better. So the removal of dual-wielding didn't matter. And Halo 4 wasn't much different, except for a better Needler. Since most of the new weapons were power weapons. Not to mention in Halo 2, and Reach, Brutes were weaker to headshots. Which meant even less reason to use non-headshot weapons.

So the CMT weapons, and enemies, aren't sounding like Halo 1. They're sounding like all Halo games, except Halo 1. Now, I still really enjoy other Halo games. If CMT wants to go that way, that's their choice. But they said they want to be like Halo 1. And having all these headshot weapons, that kill all units more quickly, than non-headshot weapons, isn't like Halo 1.

You could make Brutes less weak to headshots, instead of more. Have both shields, and the helmet. That way, the Brutes still have a unique setup. But automatics will kill them more quickly than headshots. So I now have a reason to use non-headshot weapons. I don't have a list of all CMT weapons, or what they do. But the CMT SMG could stay like the Halo 1 Assault Rifle, and be better against lots of Grunts, and Jackals. Then the CMT Assault Rifle could be buffed. So that it kills Elites, and Brutes, more quickly than a headshot weapon would, with a headshot. But with a rate of fire slow enough that the SMG is better, against Grunts and Jackals. That would still be weird with the Needler. Since that's what the Needler also does. But it would be a start.

I know I'm writing long posts. I don't mean to. But if I'm thinking about CMT weapons, and enemies, more than CMT, that doesn't sound good for CMT.

Halo CE General Discussion » CMT RETURNS! New project and team details inside! May 25, 2014 12:39 AM (Total replies: 12123)

The big difference is that you are forced to play a more intense game of cat and mouse with them, since it is harder to fully deplete their shield, especially with multiple enemies around (especially when brutes often work in small packs).

Elites don't work alone. At least in other Halo games. I don't see how it's any more "intense," just because the shields are on a Brute now. If stronger shields is all, then there's nothing unique about the Brute. Elite Commanders have stronger shields, too.

The whole notion of brutes that get in close is a broken concept with the H1 health setup, which isn't to say they have their own nuances when they are in close contact with you.

Why is it broken because of H1 health? Do they stop me from using health packs? If I know they'll try to get in close, I know to try and stay away. That changes the way I play against them, compared to Elites. That doesn't mean they have to instant kill me with a melee. Just that they're a little better up close, and a little weaker from far away. The Flood try to get in close. Are you changing that too? Because getting in close is a broken concept?

To top it off, a shield is the only thing that will protect a brute from flood infection, as a single infection form to the skin can force a brute to mutate.

I'm not a HEK expert. But can't you just change it, so that doesn't happen? By making them do less damage to Brutes? I'm pretty sure a single infection form doesn't kill the player instantly. So it should be possible, right?

Our unarmored ones do have helmets, but you aren't forced to use headshot weapons to remove them. If you use headshot weapons on them, the only weapon that can kill them in 2 shots is the BR, the pistol takes 3, the Particle Carbine 5, and the DMR takes 2 but is difficult to use at close range.

It's not about being forced. That would be even worse. It's about headshot guns being always better anyway. You say it takes 2 Battle Rifle shots, or 3 Pistol shots. With the Halo 1 Pistol, which fires at 3.5 RPS, I could kill a Brute Follower in less than a second. And the CMT Pistol goes even faster. I don't know how fast the Battle Rifle shoots, in other Halo games. But if the CMT Battle Rifle is like those games, I'm pretty sure 2 shots is also less than a second. Does the CMT Assault Rifle, or CMT Plasma Rifle, kill Brute Followers in less than a second? If not, why should I use them? Especially since they can also kill Grunts, and Jackals instantly. Headshots aren't hard to get in Halo. Especially you haven't turned down the auto aim.

Also, Elites aren't in every mission, there are 2 missions which are only brutes, and two which is only elites.

That just makes the problem worse. Now, on those maps, there are even fewer enemies, that headshot guns aren't always better against.

Our automatic weapons on our brutes also keep them stunned as long as damage is being dealt, so we have expanded the effective weapons vs brutes far from what reach had.

Like I said, it's not about just killing them. It's about headshot guns being overpowered. By overpowered, I mean they're always a better choice.

Just because there are different weapons, doesn't mean I have interesting choices. A choice isn't interesting, if the "right" answer is always clear. Let's say there's a Pistol, and Assault Rifle. Sure, I can pick up the Assault Rifle. But the Pistol kills every enemy just as quickly. It kills most enemies even more quickly. So the only reason I have to pick up the Assault Rifle, is to see the model. But that's only fun for a few minutes. So after that, the Pistol is always the right choice. I'll never want to pick up the Assault Rifle again.

That's assuming headshot weapons kill Elites, and Brute Leaders, as quickly as non-headshot weapons. We already know they kill Grunts, Jackals, and Brute Followers more quickly. Instantly for Grunts and Jackals, and in less than a second for Brute Followers. (Unless non-headshot weapons do kill Brute Followers in less than a second. But that doesn't seem right.) But it's still a problem, if headshot guns are weaker against Elites, and Brute Leaders. Because now, I just have to have a weapon that's good against shields in my second slot. Like a Plasma Rifle, or Plasma Pistol. Now I'll never have to use a different weapon again.

That's not just bad, because I'm encouraged to ignore lots of content. It also dumbs the game down. I don't have to think about my loadout any more. Once I have my two weapons, I never have to switch again. I just run over ammo caches, or replacements for battery weapons, when I see them. If there's a power weapon, I use that, until it runs out of ammo. Then I switch back.

Don't misread this. It's not just about switching. Halo 4 "fixed" this problem by by having lots of clones. The campaign would get rid of Battle Rifles for one level, but give you lots of Light Rifles. Maybe that's what you're doing. That solves not seeing all the content. But it doesn't solve the bigger problem. Which is that I don't have to think. If I see a weapon cache, I always know what to pick. I never have to weigh my options. Which defeats the whole purpose of having multiple weapons.

That means that the best way to play the game, is the most repetetive. And the least fun. That only gets worse on higher difficulties. Just saying that I can use non-headshot weapons if I want, is lazy design. Because it shows you're not thinking about balance. Or at least not nearly enough. I could also only use melee. Or turn on the infinite ammo cheat. But it's not about what I "can" do. It's about what I "should" do, to play the best, under the game's rules. It's your job as a designer to make the best way to play, the most fun. Or maybe you just think that using the same two weapons, for the whole map, actually is the most fun way to play. It isn't for me. If you asked everyone here, I'd guess a lot would say the same.

I'm not trying to attack CMT. I just want SPV3 to be fun to play, instead of just fun to see. A lot of the stuff seems like it could be fun. Like Armor Abilities. But then I read about stuff like the Brutes. Which seem more like solutions in search of problems. Making decisions just "because it seems cool," or because an idea popped into your head. That doesn't mean something can't be cool. And it definitely doesn't mean you can't have ideas. But just because it's new, doesn't mean it makes things better. You have to think about how it affects what's already there. And that because you have something new, doesn't mean something else suffers. Or that just because it's new, I'll want to use it for more than a couple of minutes.

Halo CE General Discussion » CMT RETURNS! New project and team details inside! May 22, 2014 01:48 PM (Total replies: 12123)

What's really exciting for me, is the power armor brute leaders. Back in SPV2 we had this idea that Brute power armor would be like an elite shield, but recharging at a faster rate. Once the shield was destroyed, the armor would be removed and it would never come back. We could never quite figure out how to do it, until now.

So what makes this different from Elites? Not recharging isn't much of a difference. Especially if the Brutes are more about getting in close, instead of taking cover when weak. (And if they're not, then they're even less different.) If I don't have to do anything different against them, and they don't do anything different against me, why have them?

In short, we now have Reach style brutes, power armored brute leaders, and then chieftains who use special power armor which requires weapon combos to lower the shield so the helmet can then be removed.

Reach style means they have helmets. And I assume that means the helmets are easily shot off. If I can kill them in two or three shots with a Pistol, or some other headshot weapon, why use another weapon? Especially if the Chieftan also is about removing the helmet. That means headshot guns are better for all units, except Brute Leaders and Elites. And even then I'm guessing they're still just as good as other guns. Or at least good enough that I don't have a reason to switch. Especially if I just pick up a Plasma Pistol for a few seconds to EMP them. Having to use a "weapon combo" on the Chieftan isn't any better. Because, like I said, I just have to pick up a nearby gun that works for five seconds. Then I can just switch back.

That's one of the things I couldn't stand about Reach. The Assault Rifle, Plasma Repeater, Plasma Rifle, and Spiker had no meaningful advantages. (And the Concussion Rifle was just crap.) Even the Needler wasn't so special when headshot guns killed Brutes just as easily. I had no reason not to use DMR/Needle Rifle and Pistol the whole time. It sounds like that's going to be the case here too.

Halo CE General Discussion » ANNOUNCING ASCM 2 - Another Stupid CMT Mod Apr 1, 2014 11:15 PM (Total replies: 18)

I think this is meant to be a joke. But I really want to play this. A CMT tagset that fully commits to over the top could be extremely fun. The craziness was the best part of old CMT maps. The bad parts weren't because they were unbalanced, but because CMT thought they were balanced, when they weren't.

These tags look pretty complete. It would be a shame to not release them at some point. At least on their own if not in a map.

Halo CE General Discussion » CMT: B30_Evolved public beta Apr 1, 2014 11:00 PM (Total replies: 25)

I'd take this as a complement, if I were TSCE team. If the final product is as good as this, it will have been well worth the wait.

Halo CE General Discussion » CMT RETURNS! New project and team details inside! Mar 30, 2014 02:31 PM (Total replies: 12123)

Some fun facts about b40.

-It has Honor Guards protecting the Control Room. Unlike H2 where they were one rank and just a visual change, ours come in 3 ranks and have a different type of shield than regular elites.

-The new last area which leads to the control room is larger than all the other exteriors combined in the map.

-Turns out Halo can only have 1024 squads in a map, we are at 1003 right now.

-Turns out there is an object name limit too. That's maxed out as well.

-We have also overloaded the scripts at one point, due to the fact the map has all the Vehicles and Armor Upgrades (our new name for AAs, since not all AAs are actually abilities you can use) from the first half of campaign.

Amazingly, we still barely have to scale our plans for the map back, other than having to make the last third of the map which was to be all new exteriors slightly shorter.
Edited by Masters1337 on Mar 30, 2014 at 11:52 AM

I don't see the point to making the honor guards into three ranks, when you already have all the other Elites. Unless all you want is to just have more stuff. But is that supposed to be impressive? I think most people on here are able to clone the actor variants, increase the numbers, and change the color. Probably in less than 10 minutes.

So you've added that much to one of the bigger maps? AOTC already had a lot of repeated environments. Are you going to take some of those out too? So that it's not just a bunch of filler? It sounds to me like this will just make the map drag on. If you're able to make this much new BSP, why not just redo the whole level like TSCE?

You say you're hitting all the limits like it's automatically a good thing. Of course, I haven't played the map. For all I know, every squad could be fun. But most of the new stuff in SPV2 was clearly just more stuff added simply because. Bigger numbers don't mean a better map. In fact, it tells me you're spending more time figuring out how to do more stuff, instead of how to do better stuff.

I don't want to be too harsh. There are a lot of things I like about CMT maps. But after this long I start to see the same bad things happen over and over. TSCE looked like it might have worked past them, but then I see you focused more on how much stuff you have, instead of the stuff itself. I guess that's why there's a different team working on TSCE. I'm still looking forward to seeing more SPV3 anyway. Maybe you can tell us more about the honor guard shields?

Time: Tue July 16, 2019 1:16 AM 171 ms.
A Halo Maps Website