A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: Zum0
About Contact
Last Post: Apr 29, 2014 05:39 AM
Interests:
Your Age:
What Games do you play:
Email: {hidden}

Post Statistics
Zum0 has contributed to 5 posts out of 469060 total posts (0.00%) in 1,880 days (0.00 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:

Alright, I've gotten a bit further. When getting the OBJ files from the tag converter, is there supposed to be three of them? They're called:

mapname.obj
mapname_Lightmap.obj
mapname_Portals.obj

Also, am I supposed to import all three into 3DS Max, not just the mapname.obj file? I would love to Skype with someone to help with this.

@Jesse - Good news. I'm able to open and explore the map (via OBJ) in 3DS Max 2010, however there are errors.

During the import, there are 12 errors which state the same thing:

Missing Map - Not found: black light.tga

After skipping those errors, a new error pops up in the "OBJ Import Summary" box:

Diffuse-Map not found in Material: "mapname_light_black" (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition\data\levels\test\prisoner\bitmaps\black light.tga)

Have I missed a setting somewhere?

EDIT: It seems that the issue is coming from using BSP Tag Converter. After changing format from TIF to TGA, then converting BSP, I get an error:

There was an error extracting one or more bitmaps. See the debug file for more information

In the debug file, it says:

Bitmap Extraction Error --- 28/04/2014 03:50:19
Error Number: 0
Input Bitmap: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition\tags\levels\test\prisoner\bitmaps\black light.bitmap
Output Bitmap: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition\data\levels\test\prisoner\bitmaps\black light.tga
Error: Unknown
Note: An unknown exception has occured. Exception Data: --- Unable to read beyond the end of the stream.
Action Taken: Bitmap Skipped

Edited by Zum0 on Apr 28, 2014 at 04:56 AM

@DOOM899 - I have Halo CE (with a key), although now that I'm using Windows 8 I'm having compatibility issues and I do not feel like going back to Win XP or even Win 7. But all of that is irrelevant to my issue. I don't see the big deal with what I'm trying to do, why are you being so hostile?

@MEGASEAN2812 - Thank you for understanding and I appreciate you defending me.

@Jesse - Thank you very much for the information! I'll report back with my results whether or not everything works out.

Quote: --- Original message by: MatthewDratt
Aether

Pardon? Do you mean this? I'll check it out, thanks!

Quote: --- Original message by: DOOM899
Source SDK sorry but that's not halo ce so no one well help you

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. Are you saying that, since I want to play a Halo CE map in GMod, no one will help me? Really?
Edited by Zum0 on Apr 28, 2014 at 12:08 AM
Edited by Zum0 on Apr 28, 2014 at 12:10 AM

I realize this is probably among the most asked questions, however I have searched and searched and searched. And in my searching, I've downloaded tools such as HEK, HEK+, HMT 3.5, BSP Tag Converter... Yet I'm still unable to find any clear instructions on how to export. I've been at this now for about 7 hours non-stop. I am now giving up trying to figure this out on my own.

All I want to do is export the map itself, along with all related terrain and sky assets (no vehicles, items, etc.,) into formats acceptable to the Source SDK or, more specifically, GMod (Garry's Mod.) GMod map files are in the .BSP format (although likely heavily modified compared to the Halo CE .BSP format.) However, third-party maps are concentrated into .GMA files (addons) which contain everything about the map, such as props, materials, NPCs, vehicles, whatever (think of a .GMA file like an archive.) Again, all I need is what was mentioned before. Everything else will be added in later if needed.

So, to sum up, I'd like to know what steps I need to take in order to go from .MAP to .BSP (or something which will end up being readable by GMod). Pretty simple, right? Obviously not, considering how long I've spent trying to figure this out.
Edited by Zum0 on Apr 27, 2014 at 12:45 PM

Time: Wed June 19, 2019 2:02 AM 188 ms.
A Halo Maps Website