A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: X12_1992
About Contact
Last Post: Nov 20, 2015 07:49 AM
Interests:
Your Age:
What Games do you play:

Post Statistics
X12_1992 has contributed to 63 posts out of 469390 total posts (.01%) in 1,797 days (.04 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE General Discussion » Not Letting Me Save Video Settings Nov 20, 2015 07:49 AM (Total replies: 8)

Quote: --- Original message by: StormUndBlackbird
Could it be the UI you're using?

Nope, even tryed going back to the default UI, still gave me the same thing.

Halo CE General Discussion » Not Letting Me Save Video Settings Nov 20, 2015 06:48 AM (Total replies: 8)

Quote: --- Original message by: CaptainAltheros

Maybe It's because you're black.
Edited by CaptainAltheros on Nov 20, 2015 at 06:33 AM

Ok, first off, I'm not black, and even if i was, what the hell does that have to do with ANYTHING? It doesn't, you racist.

Halo CE General Discussion » Not Letting Me Save Video Settings Nov 20, 2015 05:36 AM (Total replies: 8)

basically, the game, when I try to change the video settings, goes to the "Halo" loading screen, and then theres a split second for me to confirm the changes that I can't ever meet. It's so frustrating, does anyone have a solution to this?

Halo CE General Discussion » "Project: Drop" Recruiting Nov 10, 2015 06:36 PM (Total replies: 70)

Quote: --- Original message by: Spartan314

Not sure what others would recommend but back in 2010 I started with this tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYpDmCNj3aE&index=8&list=PL97A6E1AEB6A1D637
E: Even if your computer is 5 years old... you should be good to go for CE. It's a freakin old game.
Edited by Spartan314 on Nov 10, 2015 at 06:19 PM

My computer is 2013 laptop, and Windows 8.1. It struggles with stuff such as "CMT SPV2 Evolved"

Halo CE General Discussion » "Project: Drop" Recruiting Nov 10, 2015 06:10 PM (Total replies: 70)

Quote: --- Original message by: NeX
Quote: --- Original message by: Btcc22
Do you have some writing work you could post?

Round 2

Besides some sort prose that have nothing to do with Halo, no. Frankly, most I have are poems. And even if its over 90 poems, thats beside the point.

Anyway, know any good quality tutorial videos? As in videos that aren't meant to be jokes.

Halo CE General Discussion » "Project: Drop" Recruiting Nov 10, 2015 05:57 PM (Total replies: 70)

Quote: --- Original message by: X12_1992
I guess its less "i want to create an idea" and more "i like this concept and want to see it done because I want to play it" and really dont care about getting credit for having an "idea", i just want the idea made.

I hoped to not have your dreams crushed but the reality is, if you won't do it... who will?
And there's like... zero programming involved with Halo CE stuff here, so getting familiar with the Blam! Engine isn't a daunting process.
Heck, even if you put a box compiled as a map it's a start.

What I'm saying is if you're not too lazy, you don't have to be restricted as a writer.

Ok. Do you need a good computer to use Blam?

Halo CE General Discussion » "Project: Drop" Recruiting Nov 10, 2015 04:46 PM (Total replies: 70)

Quote: --- Original message by: Nickster5000
From the conversations I've had with X2_1992, they seem to have rough story elements, but are not structured to tell a proper story, so I'm not sure what they have to offer for that.

I think we define that as.......nothing useful yet

Yeah, pretty much.

I guess its less "i want to create an idea" and more "i like this concept and want to see it done because I want to play it" and really dont care about getting credit for having an "idea", i just want the idea made.

Halo CE General Discussion » "Project: Drop" Recruiting Nov 10, 2015 09:59 AM (Total replies: 70)

First off, I was never planning to use my gender as a "bargaining chip", i was simply correcting your assumption that i was male.

For what purpose? Hence my point, dude.

Secondly, I guess the main problem is I dont think i CAN do game design, never was good at drawing or math.

And thats very frustrating, having an idea and knowing it will never be done because you yourself dont have the skill to do it.

What on earth does math have to do with it? I mean really? I'm decent at math, but have never in memory used it for more than a simple calculation in anything related to game design. The most common example was "Health/BulletDamage = ShotsToKill". Seriously, that's not really difficult math.

I can't draw worth jack diddly either. Neither of the things you "aren't good at" are relevant to....well really anything other than concept art or....just math.

Not being able to draw freehand is why tools like Photoshop/Gimp/3DS exist. There wouldn't be nearly as many 3D modelers in the world if it required actual sculpting. There wouldn't be nearly as many 2D artists if graphic design entailed drawing/painting. Now, having those skills is definitely a plus, but it's by no means a prerequisite.

But here we are again, because of this:

Quote: having an idea and knowing it will never be done because you yourself dont have the skill to do it.

That defeatist attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you aren't going to bust-ass to get the skill to do it, then you are correct, it will never be done.

Either pick yourself up by the bootstraps (or bra straps, forgot gender is important to all of this xD) and work through some tutorials, and get something together, or don't. No one is going to just "do it" for you.

First off, it was simply to use the correct gender identifiers, nothing more. using "she" instead of "he".

And I'm NOT gonna be having everyone doing all the work. I would be contributing with things like writing storyline and writing the terminals included in the game. Not sitting on my a** doing nothing.

I want to focus on the stuff I AM good at. I don't want to do a subpar job by doing stuff I have no skill in.

Halo CE General Discussion » "Project: Drop" Recruiting Nov 10, 2015 09:22 AM (Total replies: 70)

I didn't wave your advice to the side. Also, i am not a "he"

Well, what you said to my (if I do say so myself) rather well drawn out and elaborate reply, riddled with advice and hopefully a good starting point, was this

I do not plan to just have a "i have an idea and i want you to do this for me" i want Project Drop to be a COLLABORATION. A collection of short ODST games and stories. And even with my own ideas, i would allow liberties, as long as its close to my idea. Think of it like a writing prompt. I do not consider them "grunts", rather i hope they have ideas of their own to share. I dont expect this game to be "ground breaking", i just want to bring it to life.

Which basically was just a reduction of your OP...really nothing new. Aside from just myself, you've seemed pretty resistant to any ideas of learning tools or trying to start any dev work on your own. I, and many here, would be happy to help you get started, but I don't see anything you've said that leads me believe you want to do anything but sit back and watch a team work on your drawing board idea.

Also, your idea isn't a bad one. It's pretty close to the Mona Lisa story in terms of survival-ODST-marine-oh-no-flood-i'm-not-a-spartan-anymore, and I like the idea of the flood being terrifying when you aren't a walking tank like an SII. I actually started a side project to this as a Killing Floor 2 mod a while ago, but haven't had enough time to get past the initial drawing board phases, either. The difference is that I actually got a decent team of 5-6 people to agree working on it, because I had previous work to display and could really contribute to the team in more ways than just an idea thrower.

Writing is important in game dev, obviously, but in no way are the ability to write, and the ability to develop content, mutually exclusive.

As for you being female, there's a nice trope on the internet that everyone is male. The main reason for this is that....well, there's really no relevance to your gender (out side of select topics where gender is actually the focus) here unless you intend on trying to use that as a bargaining chip of some sort. I don't care if you're a very well trained gorilla using a stick to pound out replies one letter at a time - that won't change what I'm telling you now.

(Also, as a side note, this is probably the worst place for you to pitch this type of thing. There's a reason I mainly lurk here, and am actively a participant at OpenCarnage.net. Much healthier environment for Halo 1 modding. Less activity, but better people. Quality > quantity, as they say.)
Edited by NeX on Nov 10, 2015 at 08:30 AM

First off, I was never planning to use my gender as a "bargaining chip", i was simply correcting your assumption that i was male.

Secondly, I guess the main problem is I dont think i CAN do game design, never was good at drawing or math.

And thats very frustrating, having an idea and knowing it will never be done because you yourself dont have the skill to do it.

Halo CE General Discussion » "Project: Drop" Recruiting Nov 10, 2015 07:35 AM (Total replies: 70)

Quote: --- Original message by: SS Flanker
So when another thread like this arises. Just quote nex.

He did, and promptly waved my advice aside. Can't win 'em all

I didn't wave your advice to the side. Also, i am not a "he"

Halo CE General Discussion » "Project: Drop" Recruiting Nov 9, 2015 03:43 PM (Total replies: 70)

Quote: --- Original message by: snark567
Quote: --- Original message by: Ki11erFTW
One of the reasons I am iffy about making it for Custom Edition is the, well, disconnect. I see these great original models....along side Halo 1 default environments. the difference is quite jarring. Thats why i want to use compeltely original stuff so that there is no disconnect, everything looks like it belongs together.

The engine is fully capable of great looking environments, the reason you see a "disconnect" is because the majority of the people here only know how to port content from newer games, and lack any real artistic ability/experience themselves. Porting is an easy process. Creating your own art however is way more difficult, which is why a lot of these projects fall apart. It goes from "look at mah halo reach weapons in tutorial.map were working on awesomez ODST campaign", to nothing, in most cases.

I like your ideas, however this is more work then I think you can comprehend. I've been making content for this engine for the past 10 years, and it's never a smooth sailing easy process for these types of things.

This.

The Halo CE engine is perfect for more colorful and simple art styles that still look good if not better than trying to make everything detailed and realistic, it also makes the look of the campaign or whatever you are trying to make feel more timeless.

Too bad people are focused on placing ultra HD textures and High polygon models in everything to increase graphical "quality" and in the process making the visual quality of the game worse.

Stop trying to make everything HD for no real reason and start trying to make it actually look good by being creative with the art style. A bit of imagination in making games wont kill ya.

I dont need it to be HD. I just dont want it to be Halo CE default models. I have no problem with "simpler" textures, but i would like to have some more original model designs, instead of just Halo 1 Flood with armor on it.

Halo CE General Discussion » "Project: Drop" Recruiting Nov 9, 2015 02:30 PM (Total replies: 70)

Quote: --- Original message by: Alex21788
Can I join the team? I can help you guys. I am experienced with AI encounters. I am also OK at modelling custom maps. I can do maps and AI for you guys. I am OK with some other stuff to.

My project, project spearhead is not going anywhere. I will happily join you if you accept me.

Also, is this in the Halo CE engine? Because I can modeL maps and make encounterS for the CE engine. No other engine.

For now its gonna be on the CE engine. PM me if you want to discuss.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Basic Plot:

Basically, this is an action survival horror where you play as a lone ODST (who was a former Spartan I) in the early stages of the Flood's conversion of High Charity. All of the Covenant has either abandoned High Charity or have been infected by the Flood, so you are pretty much alone. Unlike other Halo games where Terminals/ Audio Logs were easter eggs, these are required to complete "Layers" of High Charity. With the exception of the prolouge level "In Amber Clad" and the final level "Indulgence Of Conviction" (which takes place both on the mentioned ship and parts of High Charity's Holy District), their are four Layers: Lower (largest), Middle, Upper, and Holy (smallest, based on the areas you visited during Halo 2).

It is pretty much an open world experience.

You also have special ODST armor that employs limited Active Camo. Also your health slowly refills (like, it wont refill while you are in combat, but take time to rest and it will be back to full)

Im still working out the exact story myself.

And yes, you are playing the ODST that you find in the level "Cortana" in Halo 3.

Characters:

The Survivor (Player)- A former Spartan 1, they joined the ODSTs sometime after that project was shut down, but wears a special suit of ODST armor that has many features the normal ODST armor doesn't have, such as radar and an Active Camo ability. Because they are Spartan 1, they are resistant (not IMMUNE, though) to Flood infection.

Charity Bias- A fragment of Medicant Bias that was left on High Charity, pretty much fulfills the role that the Superintendent had in Halo 3: ODST.

Enemies:

Infection Forms- Can infect dead Humans, Brutes, and Elites and turn them into Combat Forms/ revive fallen Combat Forms.

Combat Forms- The main infantry that you fight, comes in Human, Brute, and Elite forms.

Carrier Forms- Basically enemies that explode with Infection Forms. While Infection Forms aren't that deadly in this game, if you are within the blast range of a Carrier Form when it explodes, you WILL die.

Flood Controlled Dropships- Uses its searchlight to look for the player, and if it sees them, will alert Flood to your location. Can be Pelican or Phantom.

Leviathan- Appearing in one of the final levels, this abomination is the result of flood biomass replacing the Lekgalo in a Scarab. While it still has the classic beam cannon, the Leviathan also has a scorpion like tail made of Flood biomass that it uses as a melee weapon in a attempt to crush The Survivor, replacing its rear plasma cannon.
Edited by X12_1992 on Nov 9, 2015 at 02:40 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » "Project: Drop" Recruiting Nov 8, 2015 07:44 PM (Total replies: 70)

Im just...a little upset that writers (like me) are basically considered "worthless" in game design.

Halo CE General Discussion » "Project: Drop" Recruiting Nov 8, 2015 07:22 PM (Total replies: 70)

I'm working on an ODST-esque firefight (Sector 09), if you need any help or anything.

PMed you.

Halo CE General Discussion » "Project: Drop" Recruiting Nov 8, 2015 05:55 PM (Total replies: 70)

Quote: --- Original message by: R93_Sniper
This is something you should quite honestly just start up and do in CE, and if it works well in CE and actually grows into something bigger, then you can try to expand it otherwise. If you're lucky, instead of making a halo game, you can make your own IP in the same sci-fi genre as a homage to Halo and build off from there.

There's a million and one different tutorials to help you get started with CE, and I can promise you that (CE3 has a giant directory of em). Its pretty easy to make stuff and most of the issues you run into are pretty simple bugs that just require small tweaks to fix. If you run into issues, most of us will be more than happy to help you out as well, so long as you're willing to listen (and maybe take criticism)

As a final note, Project: Drop is actually the name for Hiralis' old ODST campaign that he wanted to do (As well as the name of an indie game trying to be made by some guy on the contingency forum who clearly has no idea what he's doing). I would suggest changing the name and maybe thinking of something more inventive than Project: X or whatever.

Its just a working title. But i will inform my partner to change the name. And yes, my partner is the guy who "has no idea what he is doing". He's honestly a little bit over ambitious. Im more of a realist, that we need to start small, and work up from there. Still, he has good ideas, and I hope we can bring them to life.

One of the reasons I am iffy about making it for Custom Edition is the, well, disconnect. I see these great original models....along side Halo 1 default environments. the difference is quite jarring. Thats why i want to use compeltely original stuff so that there is no disconnect, everything looks like it belongs together.

Halo CE General Discussion » "Project: Drop" Recruiting Nov 8, 2015 04:49 PM (Total replies: 70)

Okay, I don't want to be THAT guy, but here goes:
Ideas are nothing. They're abundant. They're everywhere.
Anyone can come up with an idea.
Unless you're somebody like Paul Dini you cannot expect someone to come on board to donate THEIR time realizing someone ELSE's dream.
The only real advice I have for you is to learn how to do something and kick start it yourself. People are motivated by "tangible" progress.

Even if I did have the brain capacity to do coding (i am NOT good at math, never have been), I doubt I be able to create this game all by myself.

I guess im more like a fan who wants to see an idea made but knows it will never be made. And it is frustrating.

Maybe it would be better if i try to share my ideas with current people with expertise, and hope they accept them, instead of recruiting people, hope someone recruits me as a writer or something. But....thats unlikely.
Edited by X12_1992 on Nov 8, 2015 at 04:52 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » "Project: Drop" Recruiting Nov 8, 2015 04:46 PM (Total replies: 70)

Quote: --- Original message by: Jesse
So all you have is 'idea guy'?
This isn't going to go anywhere.
Good luck garnering interest for a non-CE project on a CE forum.

Of COURSE its not gonna go anywhere as it is, THATS WHY IM RECRUITING, so we can actually START SOMEWHERE.

Sorry for the "all caps" but I'm just really frustrated.

I hate this elitism of "if you don't have game design expertise then you should just give up, your ideas will NEVER come to life, because no one will take a chance on you"

Despite the fact that, most of these major single player map teams like CMT probably started with a person and an idea, this person shared this idea, and they found people who wanted to help.

Huh. You're one of those guys who thinks all caps helps get your point across.

In any case, it's all as Zetren said. This won't go anywhere if you don't give real developers a good reason to join you. All you have is an idea, and while it is true that most projects start that way, you don't even have a drawn out map layout of the type of level(s) you want.

Ok, the layout for my idea "Feet First Into Hell" is the early Stages of the Flood infesting High Charity, after the Covenant abandon it (though still preventing it from escaping) but BEFORE it becomes the way it is in Halo 3. You are an ODST, but you are also a former Spartan-I, and you wear specialized ODST body armor, with features such as a prototype Active Camo ability.

And yes, you are in fact playing the mysterious ODST you find in the Halo 3 level "Cortana".

Halo CE General Discussion » "Project: Drop" Recruiting Nov 8, 2015 04:35 PM (Total replies: 70)

Quote: --- Original message by: Zetren
I hereby submit my application for the position of the imposition of the vision of Chairman Meme.

https://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/ex-girlfriend-meme-14.jpg?w=550&h=537

Um, yeah, I will get right on that /s

Seriously, if you are just gonna make jokes, don't bother replying. I am seriously looking to recruit some people. If you anyone is interested in making a game like this and want to help, please say so.

I really want more ODST games and want to see my idea come to life....but, we are just two people.

The problem with this type of thread is that the amount of devs still around and active here is fairly low. Of that number, most of them are already wrapped up in their own projects, some of which have been going for years.
On top of that, the main reason that they are involved with their own projects, is that they have the expertise to see their own ideas come to life - rather than spend precious time working on the visions of others.

In general, you guys have (probably very good) ideas, but lack the know-how or experience to pull them off. Most developers start this way, and then they slowly build their working set of skills to help see those ideas through.

From what I can tell, you guys want to make at least 1 campaign mission, full of 100% custom content, and would like to "recruit" people with the skills to make that content for you. I'm really not sure what your roles in this would end up being? Just supplying the ideas while other people do literally all of the legwork? I don't think that will end well, just from the tension that would inevitably come from that sort of system. The guys making the content and scripting the encounters are going to have their own artistic vision, and....well, they'll just do it.

I'm not here trying to bash this left and right, just saying that this probably isn't the way to go about achieving your goals.

What I would recommend, instead, is going through the very ample tag collection that already exists for this engine, and trying to tinker with it and get things working while gaining knowledge. If your ideas are feasible, then help will come. You can post here all the time with questions, and 9 times out of 10, people will jump up to help.

The difference is, that with this scenario, you are going to be actively gaining knowledge and experience by trying to create your vision - which is the heart of being a game dev in the first place, and is the biggest key to getting any kind of respect around here.

Even if the stuff you start to make is garbage (and it always will be, at first), people will see that you're dedicated enough to put time and effort into even a small facsimile of your initial goals, and that will probably draw people in.

If you can start getting a "tagset" together from all of the existing content here (there is a good bit of ODST, from models to VISR to HUD), and get something in working order, using the existing stuff as placeholder, you will be able to easily swap out the old stuff in favor of new things if/when someone makes them for you, or you can get new team members on board.

There are an infinite amount of tutorials around here to get started, and heck, you already have Nickster5000 offering to help if he can. I'm sure there are others who would be willing as well.

I know you guys are in that "exciting idea-board" phase of the project, where the possibilities seem endless and fantastic, but don't overlook the grueling months or years ahead of you working on this project - because you aren't devs yourselves, of course that isn't going to factor in yet. How could it until you experience it?

Most devs here will immediately think "is this feasible, how long will it take, will the final product be worth the time spent?", and unless all of those answers are a solid yes (and sometimes not even then), this won't end up anywhere but on paper.

Not trying to piss in your cheerios, I'm just trying to explain the potential pitfalls usually experienced from these threads of "I have an idea I need someone else to implement for me" that pop up here every week or so.

Good luck!
Edited by NeX on Nov 8, 2015 at 04:27 PM

I do not plan to just have a "i have an idea and i want you to do this for me" i want Project Drop to be a COLLABORATION. A collection of short ODST games and stories. And even with my own ideas, i would allow liberties, as long as its close to my idea. Think of it like a writing prompt. I do not consider them "grunts", rather i hope they have ideas of their own to share. I dont expect this game to be "ground breaking", i just want to bring it to life.
Edited by X12_1992 on Nov 8, 2015 at 04:39 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » "Project: Drop" Recruiting Nov 8, 2015 04:29 PM (Total replies: 70)

So all you have is 'idea guy'?
This isn't going to go anywhere.
Good luck garnering interest for a non-CE project on a CE forum.

Of COURSE its not gonna go anywhere as it is, THATS WHY IM RECRUITING, so we can actually START SOMEWHERE.

Sorry for the "all caps" but I'm just really frustrated.

I hate this elitism of "if you don't have game design expertise then you should just give up, your ideas will NEVER come to life, because no one will take a chance on you"

Despite the fact that, most of these major single player map teams like CMT probably started with a person and an idea, this person shared this idea, and they found people who wanted to help.

Halo CE General Discussion » "Project: Drop" Recruiting Nov 8, 2015 04:12 PM (Total replies: 70)

Quote: --- Original message by: Zetren
I hereby submit my application for the position of the imposition of the vision of Chairman Meme.

https://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/ex-girlfriend-meme-14.jpg?w=550&h=537

Um, yeah, I will get right on that /s

Seriously, if you are just gonna make jokes, don't bother replying. I am seriously looking to recruit some people. If you anyone is interested in making a game like this and want to help, please say so.

I really want more ODST games and want to see my idea come to life....but, we are just two people.

Time: Mon October 21, 2019 5:51 PM 219 ms.
A Halo Maps Website