A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: Topsi
About Contact
Last Post: May 13, 2016 10:49 PM
Interests:
Your Age:
What Games do you play:

Post Statistics
Topsi has contributed to 7 posts out of 469511 total posts (0.00%) in 1,819 days (0.00 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Buggy Halo installation on new laptop May 13, 2016 10:49 PM (Total replies: 9)

Yeah, thanks to everyone!

Unfortunately I have already patched to 1.10

I realized the available resolutions were different depending on having open sauce enabled, hac2 or neither. Hac2 adds some super low resolutions like 320x240 to the normal resolutions while open sauce enables a different set of resolutions only going up to 1440 width while the normal resolutions go up to 1600.

I have succeeded in running the game with 1920x1080 by running the game with -vidmode 1920,1080,60 but that puts an upper limit of 60fps and occasionally gets me fps drops below 30.

Also whenever I change any video settings the loading screen appears and stays. I have to minimize and maximize to be able to confirm the changes.

I have installed GeDoSaTo and its running correctly with the default config as I can check with numpad + key. I set:
presentWidth 1920
presentHeight 1080
but it had no effect.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Buggy Halo installation on new laptop May 12, 2016 03:18 PM (Total replies: 9)

Yes, appearantly right clicking "run application with graphic processor -> nvidia high performance processor" was not working.

At least that's what I assume since the loading screen is not showing any errors anymore (the image seemed a bit distorted and a part of it was shifted) and because I can select different resolutions now.
Still wondering how I can make 1920x1080 available.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Buggy Halo installation on new laptop May 9, 2016 07:22 PM (Total replies: 9)

Skidrow925:
Tried windows compatibility modes, halo safe mode, reinstalling halo, reinstalling graphics drivers.

Spartan314:
Anisotropic filtering and Antialiasing were both set to off/application settings.

Appearantly it was enough to create a custom profile where I set everything to off. That's the first thing I tested after creating a custom profile for haloce.exe in the nvidia control panel 3d settings and it worked.

I still wonder if there is any way to create custom resolutions with the nvidia control panel only containing the 3d settings...that can't be right. I can select more resolutions now, but it only goes up to 1600 width.
Edited by Topsi on May 9, 2016 at 07:24 PM

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Buggy Halo installation on new laptop May 8, 2016 01:24 PM (Total replies: 9)

I just installed Halo on my new laptop and I'm experiencing a few issues:

When I'm moving looking around, I can see parts of my spartans model in front of me (screenshot below), on some custom map i even dragged some parts of the map with me.
Tried windows compatibility modes, halo safe mode, reinstalling halo, reinstalling graphics drivers.
I also can't select any high resolutions. On my old laptop I used to add custom resolutions in nvidias control panel that would then appear in Halo's settings.
But I'm missing all of the settings in the nvidia control panel except for the physx ones.
I saw a similar option to add resolutions for my integrated intel graphics card, but it said "custom resolution exceeds maximum bandwith" when I tried adding 1920x1080 @59Hz.
Halo also crashes when i set framerate to no vsync when running it with my nvidia card.
I hope that this optimus technology is not some hardware limitation that prevents me from using the nvidia card for Halo's video output.

Would be cool if anyone had some advice/explanation for me.

Edit:
This guy had the same problem and suggested installing open sauce:
http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?25599-HALO-CE-Graphics-bugs

But I have the same problem when playing TSC:E.

Edited by Topsi on May 8, 2016 at 02:30 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Zeus Feb 8, 2015 01:35 PM (Total replies: 382)

Quote: --- Original message by: sehe

Yeah, poor Sparky, he acts like a stupid moron and people call him a stupid moron. Life is so unfair. [:(] And some emoticons doesn't work here btw.

Edit: Oh look, Topsi, the super mature and super intelligent guy who always knows everything better than anyone else, you are totally not pathetic either, just keep protecting Sparky, he's almost as good coder as you afterall. And your statements are simply untrue, read back pls. Sad, that that's all what reached your brain.
Edited by sehe on Feb 5, 2015 at 09:39 PM

Now I get it! You thought gruntfromhalo was me, because I use a similar avatar in other forums.
Took me a while to figure that out...

Thanks for all the praise, I appreciate it.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Exporting lightmaps per material Dec 20, 2014 04:37 AM (Total replies: 3)

I'm a bit confused about the term "baked lightmap" and its meaning:
I understand baking as saving the result of a computation that is supposed to be dynamic (result can be different e. g. light can be distributed differently the next second due to a reflecting object moving) and using that static result everytime instead (static = never changing -> effect of moving object will not be displayed correctly).

So what do you refer to by saying baked lightmaps?
The pure light map without the diffuse map or diffuse map and light map in one map combined?
I think of both as a baked lightmap since having a lightmap implies that it's baked since it's the static result.

Thanks for the tip that .bitmap tags can be extracted, somehow I was too blind to see this possibility. However I'm a bit confused again, since I thought by having a seperate lightmap in a much smaller resolution than the diffuse map (which is okay for lighting information) one can still keep the filesize small, because the diffuse maps are in higher resolution while they contain diffuse information for a much smaller area which keeps reoccuring in the same pattern (which is not the case for light information).
Soo, if you were referring to a combined lightmap and diffusemap, because I think that is the content of the .bitmap file then that'd also increase the filesize which would be okay I guess.
Edit: (see Edit2) I just opened them with guerilla and it looks like the light map and diffuse map are seperately saved in the same picture in some cases (alpha grate. I will have to find out if away3d supports that.
Edit2: First I was looking at alpha grate and it looked like that to me, but now I opened metal stripes narrow and it doesn't look like lighting information at all.
For example in ratrace the area where the two shields are placed is in a blue light unlike the area next to the lowest tp which is the darkest spot in the map, because there is no light. That difference in lighting is definitely not saved in that .bitmap tag or am I looking at the wrong tags?

How exactly do I save them? With guerilla? Exporting only seems to save the other values to a textfile.
Anyways it would be a bit bothersome to save every file manually, do you perhaps know of any way to automate this process?
Edited by Topsi on Dec 20, 2014 at 04:41 AM
Edited by Topsi on Dec 20, 2014 at 05:50 AM

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Exporting lightmaps per material Dec 19, 2014 10:24 PM (Total replies: 3)

I made an application that can replay multiplayer games (live works too), but obviously it's very basic: I'm only showing the spartans walk around with 7 animations so far: move rifle left/right/forward/backward/idle and aim move/still.

That's the background story, now here's my problem:
I'd like to have lighting on my map, but the 3d engine that I am using (away3d) requires lightmaps per material (http://away3d.com/forum/viewthread/2887/).
I'm extracting the map with HEK+ and Aether and Aether does indeed split lightmap export, but not based on the material, but based on something else.

My understanding is that I need to add the uv channel of mapname_Lightmap.obj as a second UV channel to mapname,obj in 3dsmax.
I want to know if that is even possible, since the several meshes in mapname_Lightmap.obj attached to each other would need to be the same as the mesh as the mesh in mapname.obj, right?
What about the vertices that need to be melted when being attached?
I saw that I can use the unwrapUvMap modifier and then save the uv data. I can go into the second UV channel in my other 3dsmax project and load it there without error, but what about the lightmap pictures? How do I reference them and I still would not have lightmaps per material.
Is there maybe a better suited tool for this task than Aether?

Time: Wed December 11, 2019 2:15 PM 187 ms.
A Halo Maps Website