A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: rododoonceagain
About Contact
Last Post: Sep 28, 2015 08:05 PM
Interests:
Your Age:
What Games do you play:
Left Halo because life

Post Statistics
rododoonceagain has contributed to 242 posts out of 469494 total posts (.05%) in 1,813 days (.13 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE General Discussion » My [RELEASE] Sep 28, 2015 08:05 PM (Total replies: 40)

Very well, guys.

I've already uninstalled Open Sauce, 3DS Max, HEK and pretty much everything; now it's time to uninstall the browser and leave for good.
I won't be able to answer here anymore for a long, long time, but I'll be lurking around as always. If there is any problem with a tag, feel free to contact me with the ways I've provided.

I want to be honest: it has been a real pleasure for me to be part of this community. Hope I'll be back someday.

Edited by rododoonceagain on Sep 28, 2015 at 08:07 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » My [RELEASE] Sep 28, 2015 05:06 PM (Total replies: 40)

Quote: --- Original message by: Kinnet
Quote: --- Original message by: Spartan314
I'll miss you rododo
:'(

Don't worry we will put a good use to ur hard work

What you'll do with these tags will decide whether or not I'll release a scarab, the day I'll be back.
Edited by rododoonceagain on Sep 28, 2015 at 05:17 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » My [RELEASE] Sep 28, 2015 10:53 AM (Total replies: 40)

Quote: --- Original message by: altis94
Yeah then probably sound loopings are crashing Halo for me cause I've got wrong sound dlls.

In the readme file there is my facebook account. Add me, and I'll send you the stock dll files (glad to know I'm not the only one who experienced crashes thanks to the updated dll)

Halo CE General Discussion » My [RELEASE] Sep 28, 2015 10:18 AM (Total replies: 40)

I only tried the map. Does it use custom sounds?
Edited by altis94 on Sep 28, 2015 at 10:12 AM

Reach sounds. That's a port, and the point of a port is to make things as close to the original as possible.

Halo CE General Discussion » My [RELEASE] Sep 28, 2015 09:48 AM (Total replies: 40)

If only it didn't exception when I get in a Banshee or Sabre :/

WTF, why that? Does it happen only in my map, or on whatever map you compile with my tags? Also, try to make an elite enter the vehicle (they should be able to) and report what happens.
Edited by rododoonceagain on Sep 28, 2015 at 09:49 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » My [RELEASE] Sep 28, 2015 06:44 AM (Total replies: 40)

Quote: --- Original message by: NeX
That is some stunning work man. Major props and good luck. Will you be living on campus?

It really depends on the job I'll be doing. If I find no job I'll just can't afford university, and I'll be back home. If I do find it, yes, I'll be living on a campus.

(side note: I'll be doing programming, so I may actually code the next version of OS =P who knows)

Quote:
i'll wake you when i need you. ;(
Edited by MEGASEAN2812 on Sep 27, 2015 at 09:44 PM

And thanks for the general appreciation. I'd never thought I could get the attention of people like SOI, Matthew and Masters -
Edited by rododoonceagain on Sep 28, 2015 at 06:46 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » My [RELEASE] Sep 27, 2015 09:16 PM (Total replies: 40)

Quote: --- Original message by: Masters1337
Really like the effects and energy shaders you did, are those custom or ripped?

I ripped bitmaps, since I wanted these ports to be as close as possible to their original counterparts (and I'm pretty pissed off by the fact that I haven't been able to make a perfect replica of the dropship; DARN BROKEN SHADER TRANSPARENT GENERIC! KORNMANN, BRING THEM BACK!). The shaders on the dropshield tractor beam and the phantom shield are slightly modified versions of a bitmap I found in CEA. I've just adjusted the settings.

Of this release I made from scratch the electricity particle a while ago (I should really update it), animations and effects. I rendered many particles by myself, using Reach bitmaps (I still have a couple of unreleased unfinished electricity explosion somewhere, which would work fine but I coudln't find anything in which they would fit). I was even close to render the explosion particle system, as I've said in the readme file, but the lack of time prevented me from completely understanding how is the mask interpolated. Still, there should be a brief example of what I achieved, referenced in the particle system of the explosion of the shade turret projectile.
Edited by rododoonceagain on Sep 28, 2015 at 03:01 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » My [RELEASE] Sep 27, 2015 09:02 PM (Total replies: 40)

EDIT: almost forgot: the map I've included contains some good effects too. Frag explosions, plasma grenades explosions, some plasma impacts and stuff like this. I wouldn't extract recursively, since I know for sure that I broke a couple of effects (the first person plasma rifle firing, for example, doesn't look good at all), so check out which stuff you like before extracting.

I've been carrying on with this for a while, and here I am.

Here you have, a year of work. The last three months were spent entirely on this, 10 hours per day, to fix everything as best as I could: effects, shaders, animations... everything that makes a good release.

And I'm really ashamed to admit that I wasn't able to achieve my goal.

Tomorrow I'm gonna leave for university. Since I have no money, this means that I won't have a pc with me, and this means I'll have to leave Halo for a while, and leave my work unfinished. I've not been an active member of the community like, say, Bourrin, Waffles or Altis, so I won't be particularly missed; still, I'll give you my work to finish what I couldn't do, if you think it is worth something.

Here is my last gift to the community. With some screenshots, of course, because I've spent quite some time polishing these too.

An unfinished Halo Reach ghost. It needs better firing effects and an antigravity effect; beside that, it is ready.

The sabre

The anti aircraft shade turret

And some space vehicles. With the original ones, for you to compare

the seraph

the space banshee

the space phantom

and the tuning fork

Then there are some more stuff, like animating trees, fully rigged Reach marines and various pieces of scenery.
I'm glad I could discover much stuff by porting (I've even discovered how are generated the particles in Reach, yesterday... tried to pre-render one for a new particle systems, but I couldn't make it as beautiful as it deserved), and I'm glad I could eventually do something for the community; I'm sad I couldn't do more. I've included an updated tutorial, too, about how to port stuff, the data files I've been working on and some minor discoveries that could come in handy for those who wanted to port some more stuff.

Here is the link. Make good use of it.http://www.mediafire.com/download/0001otrj3yc09ra/release.RAR

TO TEST THE VEHICLES IN THE MAP I'VE INCLUDED

All vehicles are next to the red base

object_create_anew banshee to test the banshee; it appears in front of the base
object_create_anew phantom to test the space phantom (find a place where to hide, though, close the phantom and teleport inside. The turrets have the nasty habit of killing you); it appears on the right side of the base. You can't miss it, that thing is huge.
object_create_anew dropship to test the dropship (driving seat is rigt next to the gun; rather tricky to get into, though); it appears behind the base
object_create_anew ghost01 to test the ghost; it appears in front of the base
object_create_anew seraph to test the space seraph; it appears in the front left side of the base
object_create_anew seraph2 to test the in atmosphere seraph; it appears in the front left side of the base
object_create_anew sabre to test the sabre; it appears immediately on the right of the base
object_create_anew turret to test the anti aircraft turret; it appears on the back right side of the base, next to the covenant field generator

Edited by rododoonceagain on Sep 28, 2015 at 07:20 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Question about gun racks Sep 25, 2015 03:31 PM (Total replies: 10)

As for now, it's just enough for it to work in SP.

Halo CE General Discussion » Question about gun racks Sep 24, 2015 06:38 PM (Total replies: 10)

Quote: --- Original message by: PRPatxi
I already released those, even the covenant ones and most of the Reach scenery with the SMT scenery tag pack. And altis also released his Halo Reach gun racks with markers for the sniper, AR, DMR, Pistol, RL, Spartan Laser and Health Packs. Rip them out if u need.

Post the link, please. I've decided to work on the scenery because I thought no one did it, but I'm glad I was wrong.
EDIT I think I've found the thread, but the files are not available anymore.
Edited by rododoonceagain on Sep 24, 2015 at 06:56 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Question about gun racks Sep 24, 2015 06:06 PM (Total replies: 10)

Sunday I'm gonna release my tags, before leaving Halo for a while because life. As such, I'm in a rush fixing the last details of the release. As for now I'm working on the last details of the gun rack from Halo Reach... which would be the guns themselves. I want it to work without any script, just with pure tags. Basically this is how I did it

1) Placed the markers on the model for each item I want to spawn (5 assault rifles, 2 shotguns, 2 pistols, 2 rocket launchers, 5 ammo packs and a health pack)
2) Set a creation effect for the scenery: once created, it spawns the weapons on the markers

As for working, it works. Still, there is a problem since weapons fall instead of standing nicely in their place (thanks, gravity!). Can anybody imagine a good solution for this, with or without OS?

Halo CE General Discussion » Rate a port Sep 22, 2015 05:28 AM (Total replies: 33)

Quote: --- Original message by: bourrin33
A lot of stuff from h4 has not that much polygons, it uses reach engine but models are much more optimized

Tell me you're not lying. Swear that this is the truth, and I will love you forever.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Lightmap darkness limitation? Sep 21, 2015 06:20 AM (Total replies: 4)

Toy with the indoor and outdoor radiosity power too, at the top of the sky tag.

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo 5 - Sanghelios campaign gameplay Sep 21, 2015 06:12 AM (Total replies: 208)

Quote: --- Original message by: SS Flanker
Quote: --- Original message by: rododoonceagain

So if they can take halo reach bipeds and textures why can't they use the fuggin AI behaviour too.
Edited by SS Flanker on Sep 16, 2015 at 06:30 AM

I really hope you're kidding.

You obviously haven't experienced the relentless horror of a charging marshall on legendary.

GO PLAY REACH AND REPENT YE SINS.

In the level "The Pillar of Autumn" there is a nice encounter, right after the cave with the Drones. In this encounter there is a crazy marshall with a crazy fuel rod gun and a crazy number of covenant, along with 5/6 marines. I've spent licterally hours trying to make that encounter without having the marines killed (I like to make them survive and give them OP weapons). But, believe me, porting a model from one game to another is a joke, but porting a set of hard-coded behaviour from an engine to another is a completely different matter.

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo 5 - Sanghelios campaign gameplay Sep 20, 2015 08:53 PM (Total replies: 208)

So if they can take halo reach bipeds and textures why can't they use the fuggin AI behaviour too.
Edited by SS Flanker on Sep 16, 2015 at 06:30 AM

I really hope you're kidding.

Halo CE General Discussion » There's no new maps in halomaps :/ Sep 20, 2015 03:41 PM (Total replies: 41)

Quote: --- Original message by: Kinnet
i uploaded a map to the site like 3 weeks ago, and still doesnt appear :v

The space banshee port I've made a year ago isn't there yet, and probably will never be. You should just upload stuff on a different site, really.

Halo CE General Discussion » make bitmaps less heavy Sep 20, 2015 10:00 AM (Total replies: 18)

Quote:
keep bitmaps at 256 and 512.

It seems I'll have to resize a whole lot of 2048x2048

Halo CE General Discussion » Balancing it out - AI encounters Sep 19, 2015 05:41 PM (Total replies: 29)

Quote: --- Original message by: Tom638
If i could model well, i would change it. But the whole idea of the two backpacks, dual colour scheme thing was for them not to look like recoloured ultras whilst making them look threatening. This is also going off-topic, but i guess it's still partially related to the original idea.

Also, has anyone ever thought of giving jackals more than 3 ranks? I just thought that i haven't seen anyone on hce go beyond the minor-major-sniper ranks. If i remotely cared about jackals and stopped thinking of them as inferior grunts i would give it a try.

Like skirmishers...?

Halo CE General Discussion » Balancing it out - AI encounters Sep 19, 2015 04:04 PM (Total replies: 29)

I could certainly try the glyph stuff, but it would look god-awful because I can't really model and haven't delved into bitmaps.

There's really no need to toy with the model for that. Just edit the bitmap with some good sense and it will look fine; I made a lot of illumination bitmaps by myself (last one is the one I used in the space phantom)

I definitely won't be able to make the leg armour look good.

I may give it a quick shot to see if it does look good at least.

I don't really want to go for the cylindrical pack because I want it to stand out from regular ultras if possible. Regardless i think i'm probably going to stick with the purple helmet and chest and secondary colour methane pack layout.

The deacon being distinguished only by the color, IMHO, isn't the best choice, but here is a matter of tastes.

Halo CE General Discussion » Balancing it out - AI encounters Sep 19, 2015 03:36 PM (Total replies: 29)

I definitely like this purple; it fits pretty well the covenant style, and looks good with the needler.
For the backpack, I'd just go for the one of the grunt ultra/gunner.
And I'd add some misterious (and glowy) forerunner glyph here and there, because of reasons. And, if you could copy the armor from the arm to the leg to give it a bit more protection, that wouldn't hurt, I think.

Time: Sat December 7, 2019 4:20 AM 297 ms.
A Halo Maps Website