A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: Some Halo Player
About Contact
Last Post: Nov 3, 2016 12:09 PM
Interests:
Your Age:
What Games do you play:

Post Statistics
Some Halo Player has contributed to 4 posts out of 465493 total posts (0.00%) in 1,589 days (0.00 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:

Quote: --- Original message by: Btcc22
System is temporarily offline for some maintenance.

Thanks for the info. This error was first reported to me some weeks ago, and it is still happening now (a week after your post).

Is there perhaps some other problem? If not, then do you have any idea when the maintenance might be completed?

The problem is that HAC2 users assume there is something wrong with the Halo server itself. They don't even realize that the non-specific "invalid address" error is actually related to map downloads (since there isn't any mention of HAC2 in the error). So it is nearly impossible to get HAC2 users to join servers with new maps until this error is fixed.

A heads up for other users...

HAC2 isn't downloading any new custom maps for me, instead it is generating an "invalid address" message in Halo when I try to join a server that's running a map that I don't already have.

I read somewhere that this can happen if one of the map download mirror sites is not working correctly. Might be something Btcc22 or friends need to look into. Thanks.
Edited by Some Halo Player on Oct 26, 2016 at 02:28 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo Online Jan 19, 2016 09:09 PM (Total replies: 2780)

Quote: --- Original message by: EtchyaSketch
Sigh... not this "Halo CE is dying!" argument again. Halo CE's population has been pretty stable at 500~1000 for the last few years, and considering its age I would call that thriving.

It's not dead, but I guess we could debate what constitutes "thriving". Just 2 years ago (prior to the GameSpy shutdown) we were consistently seeing 3000 online on CE. The trend is obvious, its best days are in the past. Being in denial about it won't change it. But as I said before, I'll keep supporting it with servers for as long as anyone else wants to join me in the servers.

The good news is that even though the sun is slowly setting on our old friend Halo PC/CE , the ElDewrito / Anvil project will bring a whole new era of community-driven Halo initiatives! We're all getting in on the ground floor, this is just the start. I expect it will grow VERY quickly once dedicated servers are available.

I'm really excited and feeling very positive about the future of Halo on the PC now. Instead of shrinking, our little community is going to grow like mad again, very soon!
Edited by Some Halo Player on Jan 19, 2016 at 09:13 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo Online Jan 19, 2016 01:59 PM (Total replies: 2780)

Can we please end the name-calling on both sides? I hesitate to participate here because of the senseless bickering. How about this... if you hate Halo Online then ignore this thread, it isn't meant for you anyway... the whole rest of the forum is yours.

As a longtime Halo PC/CE supporter (server operator and player) I love that it's still going after all these years! Mind you I don't think anyone in their right mind would claim that it's going strong. But the fact that people still play it at all is amazing and great. And I will continue to play and support it.

But I'm also very happy to finally have a new version of Halo on the PC!! I've been waiting a long time for something like this to come along!

If Microsoft had released any of the new Halo versions on PC over the years I would have gladly paid full price for each of them. But in their wisdom they have neglected the PC player. Even Halo Online (official version) is for Russia only. Come on! It's intolerable! If it weren't for community efforts like maps and mods we'd still be stuck with absolutely nothing new from Microsoft 10 years after the original release!

Which is why I'm willing to overlook this legal grey area and support ElDewrito / Anvil. It's a not-for-profit community mod of a free-to-play game that isn't even slated for release in most of the world. If Microsoft wants my money then they'll have to make Halo Online available to me. But until then, I'll play this community version and enjoy it thank you very much! Microsoft doesn't profit from me but then the same could be said for playing Halo PC/CE these days. So it doesn't matter which one I play, I'm not depriving Microsoft of any new income.

As a member of the Halo PC community I don't see this as an either/or situation between PC/CE and Online. Ideally I'd like both of them to continue. But Halo PC/CE was already approaching the end of its natural life thanks to its age and competition from other/newer games. If ElDewrito / Anvil gives us a new option for playing Halo together (especially if we can run our own servers in future), isn't that a better migration than losing our community to other non-Halo games?

(TL;DNR) I just want a bright future ahead for Halo on the PC. Halo PC/CE hasn't been thriving for a long time now. I'm glad we finally have a new option! Long live Halo on the PC!

Time: Sun May 24, 2020 7:21 PM 188 ms.
A Halo Maps Website