A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: HaloAU
About Contact
Last Post: Mar 10, 2017 11:14 AM
Interests:
Your Age:
What Games do you play:

Post Statistics
HaloAU has contributed to 22 posts out of 462986 total posts (0.00%) in 121 days (.18 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:

Quote: --- Original message by: Banshee64
how do i join?

https://discord.gg/6hkPZpw

Quote: --- Original message by: SBB_Michelle
That he is a wuss

#can'ttakecriticism
Edited by HaloAU on Mar 10, 2017 at 11:15 AM

Quote: --- Original message by: EmmanuelCD
I made this crap some time ago

http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=49905

I can help you with some BSP's if you want, how ever I have to insist that I dont have to much time since I'm studying...

I will send you a pm with my Discord if you want

PM Me

Quote: --- Original message by: SBB_Michelle
Really, I think it might just be the failure to produce anything and the insecurities that most members here have built up that makes them act this way. It is true though that you will want some skill and knowledge before working on something that big though. A lot of that knowledge are things that some halomaps members possessed but never explained or their tutorials dissapeared, so it is hard to get around.

I think you should play around and get to know the engine first, the project definitely isn't THAT big. My only complaint is that remaking something that already exists can hold back your creativity.

Another thing you may want to learn is how to see you can actually trust a person who could help you, because there will be a lot of people who like to leak, so at first only really take help from people you know and then over time get to know more people and then those people might be able to help you.

tl;dr: learn stuff and follow your ambitions

My first mistake was not expecting the amount of cancer and autistic screeching from the elitists. And remaking this won't necessarily limit my creativity because I intend to include levels that were discarded like blowing up an assault carrier from the inside with a wraith, the e3 2003 demo, and the forerunner tank chase from the gravemind. Plus I intend to make some original missions to fill in for the arbiter, he's been moved to a possible post launch project.
Edited by HaloAU on Mar 8, 2017 at 03:12 PM

Quote: --- Original message by: Masters1337

For the BR you may find this helpful.

https://twitter.com/masters1337/status/839294339486461952

Also you may want to try and get your hands on the H5 needler to be your shredder. Alternatively, you could use the spiker and transfer over it's properties to that. It looks Halo enough that a recolor would make it look different enough from the regular needler, if you did some minor modifications.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/fb/04/37/fb0437385c5b8da21735d7c5fb4ea4e8.jpg

Edited by Masters1337 on Mar 7, 2017 at 09:03 PM

Thanks, that's actually very helpful. that reach br looks beastly.

Quote: --- Original message by: HDoan
Quote: Thanks for the advice We should start with prototyping the weapons and balancing them, I will consider using CMT's balancing system since it's the best for campaign, although for multiplayer we might have to come up with our own balancing (assuming we do multiplayer). The reason I want to use CMT's Covie tags is not just because they fit reach's art style, but it's the only way I can bring the shredder in but if worst comes to worst and I have to use reach covie tags I'll probably just use the untextured model and have a team member re-texture it to fit the art style of reach, but keep the code for the damage values from CMT. And this is why I need people like you on the team, because I would have never thought of that.
Edited by HaloAU on Mar 7, 2017 at 07:42 AM

Absolutely use tags that are available to you. The best way I learned was taking apart Zteam and CMT tags. My concern is just the art style. I shot mydelf in the foot when I was with H3MT and we decided on custom models and textures despite the assets being available to us. However, seeing as you want to redo Halo Reach, I would simply just use the reach assets with whatever tags you want. Does CMT's match the style? Sure. But why not just use the ones from reach? Imagine you went to an Italian restaurant but they also served Chinese food. Is it really an Italian restaurant then? It's minimal effort to get it in game anyway.

That's what I intend to do now after consulting masterz. I'll edit the reach models so they fit with the cmt tags animations and firing, and build the BR out of the DMR scope and base, and use the H3 br counter handle, as for the shredder, we'll probably have to edit the reach needler into a shredder.

Quote: --- Original message by: Ki11erFTW
Half of these people giving you advice on how to handle a project like this have never produced anything anything interesting themselves.

Don't listen to the people on here, they scare every new comer away. If you think you have a good idea, learn, create, make it happen.

Before you focus on anything else, learn the basics of BSP modeling. Screwing with tags on tutorial.map won't get you very far as I'm sure many of these guys have came to find out.

Thank you for the support.

Quote: --- Original message by: CHRISPOCALYP5E

Quote: --- Original message by: Alex
HaloNoobModder117 all over again.

Probably the funniest, somewhat irrelevant post here. Sorry to burst your bubble but sadly I can read and comprehend and that dude was arguing with users over tags. Just stop being so obnoxious. Okay, back to relevance.

This poor soul is suffering the wrath of this community's salty elitist, basement dweller trolls who can't accept new comers and are afraid of the next generation.

Sorry mate don't know why you bothered here, anything other than kissing one of the golden children's rear ends will award you with hate. There are more civilised, serious communities out there. If you want to actually get some helpful info or recruit, go post on some actual Halo/Xbox based forums or even assemble a team off of a Halo game if you chat with some people (I met a lot in the MCC, not surprisingly they steer clear of this joint). Sadly you wont get anywhere with these people. They've probably been sitting on Custom Edition since the dawn of it and need to satisfy their big grunty thirst with port mods since they probably can't play a Xbox and its exclusive Halo games not available to them...

Let's see how many of you get triggered by this reality check, a check some of you obviously can't handle. Just take a look at the rubbish some of you post.
Edited by CHRISPOCALYP5E on Mar 7, 2017 at 04:49 PM

Because cancermaps.org was the only hce community I knew about.
Edited by HaloAU on Mar 7, 2017 at 05:14 PM

It's your own funeral. After all what do I know.

After doing some comparisons with the reach and cmt tags, it appears that you are right. what I'm probably going to have to do is edit the reach models so they fit and match, but the projectiles and functionality will be the same, but I don't really know how to convert the shredder to the reach art style as there is no real reach analogue (we'll probably have to edit and retexture a copy of the reach needler). The particle carbine I can easily use either the h2a or h3 carbine with a few edits to the body and animation, and just change it's ammo system. everything else is just a matter of transferring animation and damage value data, along with programming the firing behavior for the bipeds.

By definition, you can't use our visual and make it consistent with your visuals. People expect a certain behavior from what they have seen before. If you tightened up the spread on the H1 AR, and put in it a map, no one would know that it is different. The same goes for our content. You are best off just using the reach assets, if you want things to play like reach.

We're only using Covenant tags when it comes to the weapons, We're still using human halo reach weapons, how ever after hearing what you have to say, We might implement your balancing and function to both the covenant cmt tags and the human reach weapons in order to keep the balancing consistent with spv3. I do appreciate the advice. Although we are changing the vehicle funtionality because I've always felt vehicles were kind of slow and always liked the feeling of speed reach gave off. The weapons on the vehicles will stay the same, but we're changing the speed and in the case of covie vehicles we might change how some vehicles lean when turning. There's also talk of bringing in boost using the old fashioned method that would "hurt" you so it will stay stable, unlike the open sauce method. Any advice you can give would be highly appreciated.

Quote: --- This is very important. Why am I as a user motivated to pick up the assault rifle to learn how to use it?

The best thing you can do for this project to succeed is to first decrease your scope. Right now (I could be completely wrong) you should worry about specific aspects instead of the overall project. Don't worry about bipeds, vehicles, or anything except for weapons right now because that is the core of this. Once you get weapons down or rolling then you can add onto your scope. Heck, even use tutorial.map to test the weapons.

My two-cents about a project recreating from another game, don't use custom models and textures unless you can't obtain the extracted material. Your name is Halo Reach Campaign Mapping Team. Not Halo Reach And CMT Campaign Mapping Team. Of course you are more than free to use assets that have been released or obtained, but it doesn't meet your goal of this project.
Edited by HDoan on Mar 7, 2017 at 04:55 AM

Thanks for the advice We should start with prototyping the weapons and balancing them, I will consider using CMT's balancing system since it's the best for campaign, although for multiplayer we might have to come up with our own balancing (assuming we do multiplayer). The reason I want to use CMT's Covie tags is not just because they fit reach's art style, but it's the only way I can bring the shredder in but if worst comes to worst and I have to use reach covie tags I'll probably just use the untextured model and have a team member re-texture it to fit the art style of reach, but keep the code for the damage values from CMT. And this is why I need people like you on the team, because I would have never thought of that.
Edited by HaloAU on Mar 7, 2017 at 07:42 AM

So you are saying both? If you are using our content, you should either use the visuals and the functionality or just the functionality.

If you use our visuals and assign new properties to the weapons, players will be confused as to why the weapons function differently as they associate the visual designs with certain gameplay.

If you use our functionality and appearance, you need to keep that consistent across all the content or things won't play right.

We are taking your visuals, using our funtionality. But we intend to keep it consistant with the tags themselves.
Edited by HaloAU on Mar 6, 2017 at 09:58 PM

I'll just put my 2 cents in that combining the SPV3 tagset with anything but other SPV3 content is a bad idea, unless you are just replacing visuals. Weapons and AI aren't just interchangeable, these things are all made to work in tandem.

I'm just replacing visuals because CMT's weapons are very pretty while still maintaining the reach aesthetic (especially the plasma pistol and needle based weapons). Same goes for the cmt vehicles, using the visuals not the functionality. once we recruit enough people we intend to implement our own functionalities to the tags. using your tags just saves us the trouble of modelling our own.

Quote: --- Original message by: Super Flanker
Don't run before you can walk.

Start off small then work your way up.

Don't bite more off than you can chew.

You shouldn't take on higher level stuff before you have mastered the basics.

You must learn to fly before you can soar with banshees.

Don't put the cart before the horse.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/wnod.gif

If you read my replies you would know that once I recruit enough members I intend to have the team start with concept prototypes, please read before you respond with a condescending post and gif thank you very much.

Quote: --- Original message by: il Duce Primo
A conservative estimate....? I don't think you know what that word means. A conservative estimate would be the larger time frame you stated rather than the shorter time frame. To put together a team to work on anything CE related is very difficult to do. Putting a team together that can do this project is near impossible due tot he lack of experienced and skilled members. On top of that those skilled members would never touch a project such as this because from experience they would know that this will never come close to being complete. To top it all off people who have the skill set to do this rather work on something smaller, polished, practical, and maybe even original.

Good luck on creating content for the engine. My advice is to work on many small things. Learn from them and soon enough you'll be creating some really cool content.

O yea, do create a team or a network of friends to collaborate with. Will help you learn things and make your experience more enjoyable.

if you read my reply you would have seen once I get the team together we intend to start off making prototype levels.
Edited by HaloAU on Mar 5, 2017 at 07:13 PM

Quote: --- Original message by: lolslayer
Okay, if you don't have much experience I wouldn't start with a big project like this, just make a few small SP maps first and get to know the engine before making your dream project

I'm certain that it's possible to have a similar art-style as reach in open sauce, but it will take a lot of time of artists to create

Don't move to halo 5 forge, please, the AI will not work well in forge and you won't be able to create campaigns in it (AI will never be able to navigate in forge maps with the H5 engine)

You can ask for a skilled team, but most skilled modders here or completely stopped modding (some will still help out with some problems), or they're busy with other big projects that are or aren't publically announced, so I wouldn't expect that anybody or at least enough skilled modders will join your group, you and the ones in the group atm should learn how to create the art, scripts and map design yourselves I'm affraid

That's why when we get the team at full strength we intend to make a few prototype levels with simple missions before going on to the bigger project.

Quote: --- Original message by: Spartan314
I tried making my own very basic singleplayer campaign with Reach weaponry and bipeds a year ago or something.
It was a lot of work doing it alone and I got de-motivated and abolished the whole thing.

2 to 3 years is an extremely optimistic estimate to achieve what you propose. Especially if your team is going to be composed of hobbyists.

Not trying to shoot this down though, so good luck, because you're gonna need lots of it.

Thanks I understand that this will be a lot of work, making custom games from the ground up isn't easy, the 2-3 years length of development was a conservative estimate, it's probably going to be more like 4-6 depending on how many staff we have, the more staff we have the shorter the development cycle is. If we have more animators, we can get the weapon animations done faster, and move on to cinematics. the more coders we have, the faster we can script maps, the more modellers we have, the quicker we can make our BSPs. Alot of the assets we need (weapons, bipeds, vehicles, and structures, props, and foliage) are already made, which cuts a huge chunk of the development. now it's only a matter of designing, coding and importing our assets, and making them fun to play.
Edited by HaloAU on Mar 5, 2017 at 08:16 AM

Quote: --- Original message by: YottaBiter
Quote: None of us are very technical people, nor are we experienced in modding, we are just people trying to bring a vision to life, and we need your help.

First of all, you don't just come barging in and make a thread knowing nothing and no amount of work done in the first place.
Secondly, It's not gonna be possible mate. The best of the best even tried to do similar stuff but almost two decades old engine isn't capable enough to do much good. And the amount of time it will require...
Anyways, wanna make campaigns?? Move over to 5 Forge. Make AI. Implement it. BOOM!

I would recommend you watch this video about that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_drX3DoRnQ
Edited by HaloAU on Mar 5, 2017 at 08:18 AM

Hello, I am looking for a team of of skilled individuals to help me develop a halo reach themed campaign. This campaign will be a retelling of Halo 2 / 3, and a "sequel" to CMT SPV3 with the same philosophy in mind. Revamp these campaigns with elements of later games with custom scenarios, discarded content, etc. All in the halo reach art style. This will be a series that will require open sauce as there will be vehicle boarding, abilities, fire rate changes, and cross map unlocking (TBD). The goal amount of levels I am hoping to make is 23+, enough to cover both games. I'm not gonna lie, it will take a great deal of time and effort, possibly a few years (2-3 Conservative estimate).

EDIT: I do intend to start of with prototype levels before moving on to the main idea so as to see if they work, can be improved and work with the story. I get that this is a huge undertaking of a project, Rome wasn't built in a day, its obvious that this will take a great deal of time and effort, so please quit pointing out what I already know, it contributes nothing. Also I'm not just a writer, I'm a sound designer, and voice actor, and can be a generally good manager, I am stern but 'lax fair in most cases, But have a very strict no bottle necking policy.

I can understand if you have life issues or need a break away from the team, but if your work is hardly started when the rest of the team is half way done due to refusal of participation, you can assure yourself that you will be kicked out of the team with extreme prejudice, because why fill the slot with someone who doesn't work for the team? it serves no purpose, other than to slow down the campaign, and frustrate team mates.

Since most of the assets we will be using are going to be premade / already existing, that takes a huge chunk of developing time out of the process leaving more time for story development, map design, coding, cinematics, sound design, and weapon balancing. I intend to make this campaign a reality, cynical negativity be damned.

Questions that are to be preemptively answered:

Q: Why halo reach?

A: I like the art style and designs, The hands still look pretty even in a 10 year old engine unlike halo 3's, CMT's art style only has one spartan designed and I intend to have more than one, plus it will be the very first English halo reach single player mod.

Q: Will the arbiter be playable?

A: TBD, it's a matter of if we can make his levels fun to play, otherwise He will be relegated to cut scenes and encounters. I do intend for him to be a nemesis through out the game.

Q: Will all the tags be custom?

A: No, At most we'll have custom drawing / reload animations for preexisting reach/CMT tags (there are plans though for a reach themed battle rifle, but that will probably involve splicing models rather than building one from the ground up). We'll also be changing the speed of certain vehicles to fit the feeling of speed reach had for it's vehicles, and possibly import and change some of the fan vehicles like the black wasp from the map solitude. Using pre-made tags helps cut down on time spent modelling weapons, when we can be modelling maps.

Q: Will the maps be custom?

A: For the most part yes, we intend to have the maps be fully custom made, but we do intend on borrowing assets from preexisting maps to save on time or using multiplayer maps entirely and modifying them / expanding them.

Q: Will there be any interesting game play scenarios?

A: There are a few ideas we have.

1: Space Battle /enemy ship infiltration.

2: On rail shooter on warthog turret/passenger seat, possibly even falcon or pelican.

3: arkham predator scenario emulation.

4: Flood horror scenario where you are unarmed, unshielded, and badly injured in the middle of a flood hive.

5: Global battles

Staff Required:
The current staff we have right now are voice actors, sound engineers, and writers. None of us are very technical people, nor are we experienced in modding, we are just people trying to bring a vision to life, and we need your help.

Animators
(First Person Animations, Cutscenes, Etc)

Map designers:
(decides how the map will be designed, where enemies, weapons, vehicles, and events will be placed.)

Programmers familiar with all of the scripting languages halo and opensauce uses.
(Scenarios, vehicle paths, scripted events, cutscene triggers, tag balancing, etc.)

Modellers:
(model splicing, model editing, bsp modelling, etc.)

Tool guys:
(putting the map, scenarios, and assets together, using modding tools like hek, and open sauce, etc)

Texture atrists:
(editing colors / textures on bipeds, weapons)

Item requirements:

Halo Reach Weapon tags

halo reach mark V biped tag

Cmt spv3 covenant weapon tags

Cmt spv3 boarding and ability scripts

Cmt Spv3 loadout scripts

Halo Reach FPS hands

H2A Elite and Arbiter biped tags.

Halo reach Marine biped tags

There are obviously more things we need. Feel free to volunteer and join my mapping team.

Discord: https://discord.gg/6hkPZpw

Edited by HaloAU on Mar 6, 2017 at 12:51 PM
Edited by HaloAU on Mar 10, 2017 at 11:16 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Post your Top 10 worst HCE mappers/modders Mar 4, 2017 06:58 PM (Total replies: 13)

Quote: --- Original message by: XxPopeAK49xX
1.Latinos

Das rassis

Halo CE General Discussion » Any good ODST singleplayer maps? Mar 2, 2017 01:58 AM (Total replies: 11)

halo covert ops

snap

Halo CE General Discussion » BigassV3 Weapon Skins Contest! Feb 7, 2017 08:54 AM (Total replies: 109)

Quote: --- Original message by: giraffe

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mrqbu49exdkgg5c/diffuse.tif

http://i.imgur.com/KnHCXsR.jpg
Edited by giraffe on Aug 24, 2016 at 01:35 AM

Girl Power!

Halo CE General Discussion » wounded marines and reviving Feb 6, 2017 03:44 PM (Total replies: 24)

Quote: --- Original message by: HeyPiRon
Quote: --- Original message by: HaloAU
This would be cool to see in SPV3 but hearing about the script limitations makes me think it won't.

Would be cool for this guy.
https://preview.ibb.co/iDUadv/guy.jpg

Cool to see people actually found those areas. Although there should be another door there...

Maybe I'll look into it.

It could be like a cool side mission. Find and rescue barricaded marines, and have that affect the later game.

Halo CE General Discussion » wounded marines and reviving Feb 3, 2017 07:17 AM (Total replies: 24)

This would be cool to see in SPV3 but hearing about the script limitations makes me think it won't.

where can I apply for one of the empty cast roles?

Time: Tue May 30, 2017 3:36 AM 266 ms.
A Halo Maps Website