A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: Jam
About Contact
Last Post: Sep 17, 2017 04:30 PM
Interests:
Your Age:
What Games do you play:

Post Statistics
Jam has contributed to 17 posts out of 464614 total posts (0.00%) in 28 days (.61 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE General Discussion » High Resolution Halo HUD Sep 17, 2017 04:30 PM (Total replies: 13)

oh wow, some non-chimera news for once. looks awesome :)

Halo CE General Discussion » Chimera Beta Access Sep 17, 2017 03:07 PM (Total replies: 5)

why didn't adblock block this ad

Quote: --- Original message by: OrangeJuice

Can I feel your http://oi63.tinypic.com/jscadz.jpg

:D

oops lol

Quote: --- Original message by: not giraffe
I think you are grasping at straws. I almost pity you, but not quite. Keep going.

or maybe you just dont get whats obvious?

Quote: --- Original message by: Jam
Incorrect. Animations are not all it is interpolating. It also updates object position based off of velocity.

https://i.imgur.com/RFhGRMU.png

the objects are only actually updated 30 times a second

Incorrect again. Modifications to the object table are without delay.

but the physics itself is done 30 times a second still

Also incorrect. Object physics are based off of velocity.

velocity which only changes 30 times a second

No. Read my first message. Velocity is interpolated.

its "reprojected" as orangejuice said lol

Incorrect. Animations are not all it is interpolating. It also updates object position based off of velocity.

Also incorrect. Object physics are based off of velocity.

velocity which only changes 30 times a second

Does it matter? the objects are only actually updated 30 times a second and they only look like their moving smoothly. pretty useless imo

Quote: --- Original message by: R93_Sniper
you say this as if there havent been attempts. HAC does a lot of fixes for mouse accel and SAPP has nolead for your needs otherwise. Performance issues are on the map creator and not on the game (generally everyone knows by know of the engine hardlimits).

if HAC fixes mouse acceleration then why do ppl still complain about it? also even with nolead sapp still can have crap hit reg.

I think you need to move on from the idea that this isnt helping. If you dont like it, by all means stay at your console standards. We care for quality

I'm not saying this because I dont like it I'm saying that its blown way out of proportion. all it does is just making it seem a little smoother it doesnt improve gameplay when other things can be focused on. if you cared about quality you'd care that interpolation isn't showing you real movement as your behind 33ms
Edited by Jam on Sep 8, 2017 at 12:08 PM

It "creates," for lack of a better word, new inbetween frames at the cost of CPU usage.

basically its fake frames and doesn't actually fix anything.

what about hit reg and mouse accel? also what about perf issues that some maps have? extra cpu usage = worse performance = pointless. people need to move on already lol

Quote: --- Original message by: EtchyaSketch
A. Simulation sickness (motion sickness) caused by intense movement or the brains precieved notion of intense movement, combined with low framerates can cause terrible migraines or worse in many people. And even when I have camera control thats at 60+fps when other aspects of the game is still only updated at 30 it can still trigger feelings of nausea. This "Visual Gimmick" is actually an incredibly helpful tool that alleviates almost all these issues. (Take it from someone who gets pretty nauseous when having to play a game thats ~30fps up close on the monitor).

idk if this was made for people who get motion sick but if you actually need it for a legitimate reason thats fine

otherwise I think that its pretty pointless and out of all of the "problems" to fix in halo people care about a (almost) useless gimmick. nobody games with smoothing on with tvs so why should CE be different?

Quote: --- Original message by: EtchyaSketch
B. There is nothing "clashing" about the Art-side visuals of Halo 1 with having high framerate... Have you played the original Doom? Or Quake or any old PC FPS's that ran at high framerates? Its honestly a baffling point to even be made that a games performance can clash with a games art.

if I did obsess over fps (most gamers dont care about it) Halo is still 30tps no matter what interpolation does and the frames you see are basically fake. halo was meant to be 30fps. people need to get over it and fix actual problems that actually affect gameplay like lag and hit reg.

Quote: --- Original message by: Tucker933
Art is a "visual gimmick" as well, yet there's a lot of appreciated work put into that for games.

maybe so but this isnt exactly art its no more impressive than motion blur

If you seriously think this needs a beefy computer to run, you're probably behind a decade in gear regardless

some people on pcs from only 6 years ago have trouble running interpolation
Edited by Jam on Sep 1, 2017 at 12:54 AM

Quote: --- Original message by: KVOND

Don't like interp? don't use it, is that simple.

input at 30 fps with a controller is playable, but mouse input at 30 fps feels nasty, unresponsive and jittery.
Edited by KVOND on Aug 31, 2017 at 06:22 PM

i just think its overrated. idc if ppl use mods if they want to

I simply don't like it clashing with halo 1's low-poly//low-texres artstyle and it provably doesn't affect how I play. I got my skill from the days of the Geforce2 MX200

exactly its just a visual gimmick and doesnt actually help

Quote: --- Original message by: il Duce Primo
It's a good thing chimera does more than just interpolation.

im sure alot of them are reasonably useful and do more than just affect visuals. my point isnt about chimera but interpolation
Edited by Jam on Aug 31, 2017 at 05:10 PM

Quote: --- Original message by: SBB_Michelle
Get a better pc, I checked it on an old laptop of mine and it seriously does not eat as much fps as you would lead people to believe. also you are only behind 1/30th of a second which is not a big problem.

whats the point? to run a mod for a 15 year old game? most people dont upgrade their pc and i have seen so many complaints about interpolation being slow even on the lowest lvl.

This is the same method used in 90% of games that are interpolated out of the box. Other games use methods that severely screw up physics and timings on things.

except with halo you need some mod from some guy who barely has any name in this community and it arguably puts you more at a disadvantage. those games probably dont lose fps as much by doing so either, and for this mod the effect is only visual

I like responsive aiming and not being locked to god awful 30fps when every other game I play is 60 and only limited to 60 because my monitor is 60hz.

you can aim at 60fps without this mod

Also explain me why it taking fps would even matter to you as you are suggesting to play on 30fps, which would remove a lot of responsiveness. Adding to that, the frames are severely delayed with how this game's fps limiter works, so your delayed movement argument has no ground to stand on.

i am saying limiting to 30fps does not require a fast pc where interpolation apparently does, and at least it does something more than just visual and you arent seeing something that is one tick behind. interpolation at best is a gimmick which effect is only visual

I like the interpolation because it allows me to follow objects more easily as their movement actually looks like movement and not a cheap slideshow. I would personally lose 10% of my 300fps so the game actually looks proper.

what is with every pc gamers obsession with fps? its just a game and 30 is more than enough for most console games but with pc its always 60fps or its crap
Edited by Jam on Aug 31, 2017 at 05:11 PM

because locking to 30 FPS is for console scrubs, not to mention that the interpolation also works on the physics (so to speak). So while the calculations are still being done at a 30 FPS tick, the interpolation smooths out the result to go to whatever the hell you want to go to

it seems like objects only appear to be moving smoothly but physically they only move 30 times a second, plus control input is only registered 30 times a second. the effect is only visual while seriously wasting fps and making objects seem behind what they actually are. seems pretty useless and i don't get why people are worked up over it.

locking to 30fps removes the jittering effect and doesn't require a lot of cpu like interpolation. pretty sure most people on console don't obsess over it anyway as they just want to play a game

Edited by Jam on Aug 31, 2017 at 08:57 AM

I dont get why so many people are making such a big deal about this. Physics are still 30fps, and it feels slow. Pretty useless gimmick when you can just lock FPS to 30 imo
Edited by Jam on Aug 30, 2017 at 08:25 PM

Time: Tue September 26, 2017 5:22 AM 359 ms.
A Halo Maps Website