A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: BioGoji1989
About Contact
Last Post: Today @ 07:35 PM
Interests:
Your Age:
What Games do you play:

Post Statistics
BioGoji1989 has contributed to 27 posts out of 465223 total posts (.01%) in 25 days (1.08 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:

I have the battle rifle in a folder called battle rifle. The filepath is as such: weapons\battle rifle\battle rifle. But that isn't the problem. The problem is that any successful map compilation doesn't actually feature the weapon (for reasons unknown), or I get errors telling me that the program can't open the files related to the weapon. I've already used guerrilla and mozzarilla to find and replace all red-letter files so that there aren't any issues, but I still can't seem to get things to work for me. Do I have to include the entire folder that I extracted the new weapon from and install it alongside the rest of the map's tag folders?

I am just starting out with modding. I've only recently figured out, thanks to MosesofEgypt helping me, how to properly compile a .map file in tool. Currently, I've slowly been learning how to edit various tag properties that already exist within the game, but when I try to add anything new from another tagset, it doesn't work. The only thing that I can import and have compiled properly is the plasma rifle jackal tag set from Virus =X=, but that's it. I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong.

I copy and paste the new weapon tags into the weapons folder, and I go into Mozarilla to make sure that they show up in the weapons palette in the .scenario file. What step am I missing, because the map won't compile.

Does anyone have any advice?

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » HEK Installation Questions. Jan 12, 2018 12:34 PM (Total replies: 2)

I've recently just started trying to mod campaign maps in Halo CE, but I can never compile anything properly with Tool. I've been given some very helpful advice from MosesofEgypt, but I still can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I'm constantly getting error messages stating that tool can't locate the proper cache files for the map, or I get permission errors when trying to use tool in the Programs x86 directory, where I have CE installed. The one thing that I can think of is that I should have HEK installed outside of that directory.

Should I reinstall HEK in a directory not connected to Programs x86, or any directory that requires Administrator privileges in order to get tool to work with less problems?

Can HEK work without being installed in the same directory as Halo CE, and I mean the whole HEK, not just the three programs?
Edited by BioGoji1989 on Jan 12, 2018 at 12:34 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Questions About OpenSauce Jan 9, 2018 11:12 PM (Total replies: 2)

Quote: --- Original message by: 002
If you seriously must use the retail version of the game for some strange reason, HAC2 has a fov command:

fov new_fov_in_degrees

Um... about HAC2. That program and I haven't exactly had the best relationship with one another. I'm kind of interested in seeing other programs right now. Sexier programs.
Edited by BioGoji1989 on Jan 9, 2018 at 11:12 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Questions About OpenSauce Jan 9, 2018 11:04 PM (Total replies: 2)

I'm not sure if this has been covered elsewhere, but is OpenSauce compatible with Halo PC? I mainly want to know because I hate the field of view in the PC version. If it isn't compatible, then does anyone know of other field of view-changing programs that ARE compatible with Halo PC?

I appreciate any and all information.

Halo CE General Discussion » [RELEASE] Pool v1.0.0 Jan 7, 2018 10:53 PM (Total replies: 2)

I just want to say two things... aside from this first sentence.

First: Congratulations.

Second: Thank you.

[Edited on 01/08/2018]

Uh, out of curiosity, do I have to remove Tool++ from the directory I have Pool in, or can I have both in the same directory? I ask because I can't get Pool to open when I try to use it. I try opening Tool.exe, but that just disappears after a few seconds. Only Tool++ seems to actually work for me.

Am I doing something wrong, or is it possible that something went wrong when I updated MEK?
Edited by BioGoji1989 on Jan 8, 2018 at 03:39 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » HCEA .map files (as opposed to .s3dpak) Jan 6, 2018 11:11 AM (Total replies: 22)

Quote: --- Original message by: Bungie LLC
Quote: --- Original message by: notrododo93
I am still amused by how the tags I released a while ago have only been used on latino maps.

What tags are you referring to? Do you mean the assorted halo reach vehicles, or something else?

I think he means all of them. I can tell you right now that after playing a handful of Spanish CE mods using Reach models, the majority of the models for weapons, vehicles, and bipeds are nearly identical. There may be some minor differences here and there, but most of these mods use identical models of bipeds for Grunt and Elite minors, majors, ultras, etc...

Weapons are a bit different when it comes to additional weapons such as the Battle Rifle and Covenant Carbine, but for the basic Halo weapons most of them use the same MA37 Assault Rifle, M6G Magnum, DMR, Sniper Rifle, Rocket Launcher, Plasma Rifle, Needler, and Plasma Pistol models.

Maybe Latino maps aren't the only ones that use his tags, but they are featured far more than anyone else's.
Edited by BioGoji1989 on Jan 6, 2018 at 11:12 AM

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » MEK or HEK? Jan 6, 2018 10:56 AM (Total replies: 7)

What about editing extracted tags and then compiling them back into a whole map again? I can't find any tutorials on how to do that anywhere. Nearly every tutorial I see is focused on creating new maps from start to finish.

What I want to start on first is simply editing certain tags in the campaign, such as .weapon tags and damage modifiers, to make certain weapons more accurate or less powerful, or to make the fuel rod gun usable in campaign for the last three levels. I've downloaded the tool++ wraparound GUI or tool, but I don't see any options for compiling an edited set of extracted map tags back into a whole .map file.

How do I do that?

Yes, I'm using baby steps, but I think that this is the best way for me to start until I'm comfortable enough to be actually creating my own maps, no matter how basic.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » MEK or HEK? Jan 4, 2018 11:37 PM (Total replies: 7)

Well, I've looked into 3Ds Max, but I'm not a student of any educational institute, and I haven't been for a few years now. Is it okay for me to, you know, lie and get the 3-year free trial, or should I go for another free 3D modeling suite? Are HEK and MEK designed specifically to work only with GMax and 3Ds Max? Can other 3D modeling suites be used instead? I want to know before I make any decisions regarding this.

Also, is it absolutely necessary to have a 3D modeling program? What if I decide that I simply want to add or remove various weapons and/or characters to and from a campaign map or a multiplayer map for fun? Is it necessary to have a 3D modeling program such as 3Ds Max or GMax in order to do any of that?

Can I simply export the tags of certain weapons, edit them, and then import them back into a map without going through jms conversion?

I'm... really very uncertain about a great number of things.

Also, what exactly is recursive exporting? I don't know what that does in the map editor or Refinery.

Halo CE General Discussion » HCEA .map files (as opposed to .s3dpak) Jan 4, 2018 01:29 AM (Total replies: 22)

I didn't know. I-I was young and naive!

Halo CE General Discussion » HCEA .map files (as opposed to .s3dpak) Jan 3, 2018 07:39 PM (Total replies: 22)

Quote: --- Original message by: not giraffe
Quote: --- Original message by: BioGoji1989

Maybe this is what you're looking for (but I wouldn't know):

https://halo.galaxyverge.com/files/archives/blamdepot/halo_cea_release_xenon/
Edited by not giraffe on Jan 3, 2018 at 06:24 PM

Are these .map files playable in CE, or are these files strictly intended for more technical usage such as the extraction of models, textures, and other data? If they can be played, that would be awesome.

I don't know what that means. Is that bad?

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » MEK or HEK? Jan 3, 2018 07:38 PM (Total replies: 7)

So, I should probably start out small with simple test maps and such before I move on and make something really complex, right?

Which would be easier for a new beginner?

A. Modding a few elements of the campaign, such as the targeting reticules for various weapons.

B. Creating a small map with basic geometry.

C. Simply using the tools of HEK and MEK to inspect various elements and learn their values.

I'm asking this out of genuine curiosity, because I fear that I may end up diving too deep if I don't start out somewhere using baby steps.

Also, I played the refined mod you made for Halo 1's campaign, and I like how all of the textures and added detail helped bring the game to life more than it did on the original PC port. If I were to mod campaign levels, should I use the refined campaign maps you released as a starting point when testing things out, or should I use the basic and less properly done maps from the original Gearbox port?

One more thing. I haven't installed HEK or MEK yet, but I was wondering if I should install the 64-bit version of hat Python thing or the 32-bit version. I have a 64-bit computer, but I need to know if the toolkit will be affected by which version of python I install.

Also, I'm guessing I should install HEK Plus first, and then MEK?

And lastly, I have GMax installed for 3d modeling, but will that be enough? Does G-Max handle 3Ds stuff too, or do I need an official 3DS program?
Edited by BioGoji1989 on Jan 3, 2018 at 08:27 PM
Edited by BioGoji1989 on Jan 3, 2018 at 08:29 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » HCEA .map files (as opposed to .s3dpak) Jan 3, 2018 07:16 PM (Total replies: 22)

Maybe this is what you're looking for (but I wouldn't know):

https://halo.galaxyverge.com/files/archives/blamdepot/halo_cea_release_xenon/
Edited by not giraffe on Jan 3, 2018 at 06:24 PM

Are these .map files playable in CE, or are these files strictly intended for more technical usage such as the extraction of models, textures, and other data? If they can be played, that would be awesome.
Edited by BioGoji1989 on Jan 3, 2018 at 07:18 PM

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » MEK or HEK? Jan 3, 2018 12:05 PM (Total replies: 7)

If I wish to start creating my own mods, should I use Moses' editing kit, or the standard HEK plus? Which one is better for a beginner such as myself?

I've seen that one before. I currently play the Potterhalo Reach mod, which is currently playable from A10 up to C10. Ultimate Reach actually does have more than one map, but they're kind of difficult to find.

There is one Reach style mod that actually has the whole campaign, in English... BUT! And this is really important, it has a nasty habit of crashing on every single level. Now, the mod is technically called a Halo 4 mod by the guy who posted videos of it, and it does use Halo 4 weapons and vehicles, and the Master Chief is portrayed with the Warrior Armor from H4, but the Marines and Covenant are all from Halo Reach. Back to the warning, though, it crashes. A lot.

The first crash I experienced occurred before I even reached the 2nd cutscene of Pillar of Autumn. It was right when I was passing through the hallway that led into the armory, where several crew and Marines are fighting the Covenant in a hallway. It's the part where you hear a Marine say that Captain Keyes needs you on the bridge ASAP and to follow him. I can't even get to the Marine to trigger the dialogue, because the level crashes as soon as I enter the hallway.

Assault on the Control Room was a little bit better, and I actually managed to clear a room before it crashed, but with each level crashing early on, I can't recommend the mod. I've tried playing it with video settings on the equivalent of safe mode, but even then it crashes.

So, if you want an English Reach style mod, there is that one, but heed my warning about the constant crashing. The files are available from links on the video of each level, and the videos are on YouTube, posted by a user named ANTRAX. Maybe the mod will work for you, maybe it won't. If it does, have fun with it. If you experience the same crashing problem that I did, then I'm sorry.

I hope this helps.

Oh, dude, I'm in the same boat. I don't mind the language being in Spanish, since I already know most of the game's scripted dialogue by heart due to years of playing the game, but being able to hear a language I'm fluent in would certainly make things easier for me when playing. Which Reach mod is it, anyway? There are quite a few of them out there.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Question about AI abilities in CE. Jan 3, 2018 12:23 AM (Total replies: 4)

Quote: --- Original message by: FtDSpartn
No, you can't trade weapons with AI in this game. As far as I know, no one's created a method of doing so that works well in any normal gameplay. Any real method would definitely require OS.

You can change quite a few parameters of AI behavior in their .actor and .actor_variant tags.

No weapon exchange without OS? Crap. But... I CAN adjust them so that they don't shoot a rocket launcher when standing right behind the player, right? Can I make the marines throw plasma grenades instead of frag grenades? I don't really know too much about what can and can't be done in CE's HEK and what the tags' limitations are. I'm only just starting to learn about this stuff because I'm thinking of one day making a mod of my own, but I want to read up on this stuff before I actually get into the nitty gritty work of... editing.

Halo CE General Discussion » HCEA .map files (as opposed to .s3dpak) Jan 2, 2018 11:49 PM (Total replies: 22)

I think one modder named Reus did a HCEA mod of 343 Guilty Spark. You can find the file on youtube, both Reus' channel and I think on a video posted by AltSierra117 as well, along with the .map files for beta versions of C20 and B40, but not any of the others. Careful with the beta's, though. They tend to crash at random, although usually it's when entering areas with lots of vehicles and/or different AI fighting each other.

C10, however, hasn't crashed on me once... yet. So, there's a starting point. Maybe try getting in touch with Reus or AltSierra117. Find out if they have access to the files you're looking for.
Edited by BioGoji1989 on Jan 2, 2018 at 11:50 PM

Quote: --- Original message by: TheHaloKnight
https://youtu.be/XcuVLHJdn2I
There's still hope :')

Huh. Well... it's not... horrible. Miranda looks... shrink-wrapped. Although, I do like the Chief's Mk V SPV3 armor. Johnson looks... actually pretty close to his H2 incarnation, although with eyes that look lifeless. Still, the fact that this was done at all is pretty inspiring on its own when one thinks about it.

I say bravo to the person (or people) who made it, just because seeing cutscenes from other games remade in CE is so rare. Bravo for doing it at all. Seriously, bravo.

I really do appreciate all of the input from everyone, but to clear a few things up.

First, I would never attempt to fully replicate the Halo 3 or Halo 2 experience. Besides, I hate Halo 2 and Halo 3's health and shield systems. I despise the removal of the health bar, and I think that Halo 2 and Halo 3 both suffer tremendously for it. Also, I've never really cared for dual-wielding. I mean, yeah, it's certainly useful at times, but it's not really something that I would prioritize in a remake.

Although, there is one particular issue here that absolutely no one has brought up in regards to the later games when compared to the first one. Can you guess what it is?

It's weapon exchanging. Here's one aspect of all later Halo titles that I absolutely adore; being able to exchange weapons with the Marines so as to give them a better chance at survival (so that they can last longer and distract the enemy on higher difficulties), and so that they can actually be useful (if they don't use an explosive at close range, that is). I have to see anything that tells me if it is possible to perform weapon exchange with friendly AI in CE. Does anyone know if this is possible in CE's engine?

So, anyway, I've contemplated remaking the other games, but since I'm not even a beginner in terms of modding (I've only tried creating my own map once with Halo 2 Vista, and it was... horrible), I don't know if I'll actually ever try.

To be honest, the main reason I've asked and started this thread was simply to see if recreating the story and outline of the later games could be done in Halo CE, and to see if any such remakes even exist. If we can have maps like Extinction, which does have a working Scarab (albeit player controlled), then it should certainly be possible to recreate Halo 2, 3, and even Reach, albeit with Scarab portions in limited numbers and only in very carefully scripted sequences.

Of course, also think like a practical effects director in pre-CGI Hollywood. How do you get around limitations? By hiding things and using forced perspective by placing small versions of large objects in certain locations that cannot be reached yet are close enough to be seen in order to give the impression of them being farther a way and greater in scale than they actually are. The scarabs wouldn't actually move forward through a cityscape, they'd just raise and lower their legs while standing at certain vantage points and angles viewed by the player in order to give the impression that they're moving. Sure, it might be a cheat, but hey, if it worked in the real world, then why wouldn't the approach work in a virtual environment?

And as for importing bsps and environments and stuff? Yeah, I'd already figured that the CE engine would have trouble with that kind of thing. So, I'd go for the remake it from scratch approach. No, I wouldn't go for making it look like an exact replica, just something that resembles a basic layout of the original.

I don't care if the remade maps look just like Halo CE, really. And, let's be clear, I'd asked about this more or less just to find out if it could be done at all. Still, I've gotten people talking, so there's that. I look forward to knowing what you guys think of this reply of mine.
Edited by BioGoji1989 on Jan 2, 2018 at 11:41 PM

Time: Wed January 17, 2018 10:32 PM 250 ms.
A Halo Maps Website