A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: Kavawuvi
About Contact
Last Post: Nov 7, 2018 09:45 PM
Interests:
Your Age:
What Games do you play:

Post Statistics
Kavawuvi has contributed to 10 posts out of 468022 total posts (0.00%) in 175 days (.06 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:

I downloaded and installed Halo Editing Kit on my new laptop. For some reason whenever I build a map all of the HUDs are Halo Reach. I have legitimately tried this on 4 other PCs and it's the same result every time except for my Mac which outputs a Halo 5 HUD.

Is it possible to make a custom map that doesn't have Halo Reach HUDs? Has anyone else been able to make a map with the classic CE HUD?

Quote: --- Original message by: SBB_Michelle
Try adding -use21 to your shortcut's target.

-use21 isn't a valid argument. Pixel Shader version 2.1 does not exist. These are the valid arguments:

-use2a
-use20
-use14
-use11
-use00
-useff

Also, even -use2a and -use20 will not do anything on Intel GPUs. Halo will consider it invalid for Intel graphics and use 1.4 instead.

Halo Combat Evolved is hardcoded to not support Pixel Shaders 2.0 on Intel graphics. No amount of config.txt editing or video settings will change this.

If you're on a desktop PC and your desktop has a PCIe x16 slot, you could try installing a cheap used NVIDIA or AMD/ATI GPU. That might fix your issue.

Also, it doesn't matter if newer games work fine or not, because Halo Combat Evolved neither cares about your feelings nor your newer games.

Download a new GPU?

Halo CE General Discussion » it's a thing. Halo CE 60 FPS Oct 7, 2018 06:06 PM (Total replies: 108)

Quote: --- Original message by: lolslayer
Quote: --- Original message by: Kavawuvi

However, this is my opinion. You obviously prefer your games to look pretty, and that's fine. I can respect that. On PC, you can have your way via graphics settings. Sadly, most console games, such as Halo 5, lack graphics options, so you have to go with whatever settings were baked into the game by the developers, even if they aren't optimal for you. I think limiting these options does a disservice to the hardcore fans, but I guess they think that having an FOV slider is already scary enough for casual players?

Console games should never have advanced graphics options, I do believe that having a few options is great though, as long as it's clear what kind of performance you can expect from it.

I only said graphics options, not advanced graphics options. My problem with many console games is that lots of console games still lack settings for stuff like FOV or being able to toggle post processing effects like motion blur or chromatic aberration. I also feel that having an option to choose between better graphics or better frame rate should be in more games.

Quote: --- Original message by: Masters1337
Most people don't understand FOV and I'd prefer to see the sliders leave the PC games as well. Locking it down for the next version of SPV3 is something I'd really love to do as plenty of idiots go and tinker with it, then end up with a game that doesn't play the way it should.

I don't think you understand FOV, either.

Halo CE General Discussion » it's a thing. Halo CE 60 FPS Oct 6, 2018 11:22 AM (Total replies: 108)

Quote: --- Original message by: Masters1337
It was that 30 FPS doesn't bother me. Still doesn't, I like the more cinematic look it gives games and I don't really like the compromises made to hit 60 in some games (looking at you h5).

Actually you said you hated 60 FPS. Though this was back in 2015, so I'm sure you've changed your mind over the years.

Personally, I'd rather have a game look like crap but run great, because I think the fluidity and responsiveness of the game enhances gameplay a lot more than visuals. Also, video games are not movies. For one, even with the best PC hardware you can buy today, video games will never look as photorealistic as movies will. Also you need to be constantly interacting with the game, and I feel limiting to 30 FPS usually affects this experience negatively.

That said, I won't knock a game just because it only runs at 30 FPS. Some of my favorite console games are 30 FPS games, such as Halo 2 or Super Mario Sunshine. However, for me to enjoy playing a 30 FPS game, it has to still be good in terms of gameplay despite running at 30 FPS.

However, this is my opinion. You obviously prefer your games to look pretty, and that's fine. I can respect that. On PC, you can have your way via graphics settings. Sadly, most console games, such as Halo 5, lack graphics options, so you have to go with whatever settings were baked into the game by the developers, even if they aren't optimal for you. I think limiting these options does a disservice to the hardcore fans, but I guess they think that having an FOV slider is already scary enough for casual players?

Edited by Kavawuvi on Oct 6, 2018 at 11:31 AM

A while ago, I started on a project, Invader, which is intended to be a free and open source replacement for tool.exe's build-cache-file command - intended to be used on both Linux and Windows. Over time, I've made lots of progress, and last night, I decided to do something for fun: see if I can get Invader to work on a Raspberry Pi (specifically the Raspberry Pi Model B Revision 2). Surely enough, it does, and it does so without having to change any C++ code.

The only reason I did this was to see if it could be done and see how easy Invader is to run on other platforms (which it was pretty easy). I do not expect anyone to compile and run Invader on a Raspberry Pi, as this is extremely impractical due to the limited 700 MHz ARM CPU and slow I/O of an SD card. After all, if tutorial.map takes up to 12 seconds on a Pi (~560 ms on my PC with Invader or ~1 s with tool - both after running once to cache the tag files), then larger maps could take several minutes. In fact, maps over 300 MB could probably be even slower due to the limited 512 MB of RAM.
Edited by Kavawuvi on Oct 5, 2018 at 03:44 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Setting the record straight Aug 2, 2018 02:06 PM (Total replies: 37)

Okay, so what does this even have to do with Halo? Or are you trying to bait people into having a meaningless argument rather than having an intelligent discussion. Maybe try seeking a therapist, instead?

Edited by Kavawuvi on Aug 3, 2018 at 01:14 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo PC Confirmed? May 25, 2018 09:52 AM (Total replies: 29)

I'm not sure the Halo PC Microsoft is talking about is the Halo PC you guys want. It'll probably be a Windows 10 Store exclusive, and it might suck trying to mod it. I wouldn't be surprised if they forced vSync on or had an arbitrary 60 FPS cap.

And, oh boy, this one's a doozy.

Quote: --- Original message by: sparky

It would be completely legal if Microsoft did not make it illegal. The same goes with anything else anyone does. Everything is legal until someone says, "This is illegal." Thus, the burden of reason is placed upon the person who claims something as being illegal. Once the reason for that illegal status is gone, it should not continue to be illegal.

So stealing is legal as long as you get away with it?

For example, you drive on the right side of the road in this country. But if there is a tree blocking your lane and you can go around, or when there is construction in an area of road that requires you to drive in the left lane, that reason overrules the existing illegality of driving only in the right side lane.

So there's an exception that allows you to steal from someone?

But in this situation, the reason for making El Dewrito illegal no longer exists. If Microsoft was making any revenue in its Russian market, that did not apply to non-Russians like us. And this Halo Online game was discontinued anyway, which means Microsoft no longer wants to make money off of it.

While I do think it's stupid that they made this decision, Microsoft has every right to protect and control their intellectual property regardless of if it's being maintained or not. This should be reason enough.

Therefore, any corporation who wants their interests to be taken seriously must provide with their works a license that respects use, not hinders the user.

Remind me why you use a Mac.
Edited by Kavawuvi on May 25, 2018 at 10:01 AM

I've been modding for maybe 10 years? As for Halo Custom Edition (versus the retail or Mac version of the game) I started a few years ago.
Edited by Kavawuvi on Oct 5, 2018 at 03:37 PM

Time: Wed November 14, 2018 3:40 PM 219 ms.
A Halo Maps Website