A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: Alexstr525
About Contact
Last Post: Jun 2, 2019 10:13 PM
Interests:
Your Age:
What Games do you play:

Post Statistics
Alexstr525 has contributed to 2 posts out of 469375 total posts (0.00%) in 136 days (.01 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:

Quote: --- Original message by: The Gravemind
Quote: --- Original message by: Alexstr525
It's great to see someone finally making some great tools for animation extraction, especially for Halo 3. The problem I'm having and had to fix manually was the turning attack/turning animations. Anything that involved rotational data seemed to be really finicky. I'm assuming you're inheriting the rotation data from the pelvic bone, rather than creating any kind of "root" or "master" bone. There's a few problems with doing it this way, since you're subtracting or adding any kind of root motion or core rotation data with the already adjusted bone rotation. For example, if you were to load any kind of attack right animation and forcefully turned the model by the pelvis bone to the right (by 90 degrees), the animation would look "almost" proper. So it seems like the model itself could be interpreting the rotational data incorrectly based off its local position (in this sense, it faces left instead of forward so maybe the offset is just not agreeing with it.)

If I might suggest, I'd like see what happens if you were to export with a bone containing all the root locomotion data in it, rather than having the pelvis inherit it. Just so the pelvis ins't inheriting everything locomotion/rotation wise (this should stop the jittering too, theoretically speaking). Then again the hunter model had some seriously awful weights, so I wouldn't put it past Bungie to have some faults in their animations too.

If i'm not mistaken, all halos before reach use the pelvis bone as the main parent. The animations have already been made using the pelvis so they will have to be re imported and edited to use the other bone. If i'm correct then that sounds like a major pain to do for each animation. The h3 marine animation graph for example, has a total of 1,041 different animations.

Indeed and the previous halos also have that problem. If anything, maybe some kind of option to export with that bone would be nice.

Quote: --- Original message by: LaikaGlove

Quote: --- Original message by: epicplayer
Quote: --- Original message by: LaikaGlove

There's no problem with the JMT animations from what I can see...

It's definitly broken on the "turn and attack" animations for the flood as an example.

Those animations use dx,dy,dyaw frame info, which is the same as the turn-left and turn-right animations. The turn-left and turn-right animations seem fine and their frame info is calculated in the same exact way, not sure why it would work on some but not others. Tell me if you see any other animations that are like that.

EDIT: I just compared my extracted flood combat elite's "combat rifle surprise_back" animations from Bonobo and CtrlAltDestr0y's h2 animation importer maxscript and they're exactly the same. I'm still not convinced there's an issue with them.
Edited by LaikaGlove on May 22, 2019 at 08:27 PM

It's great to see someone finally making some great tools for animation extraction, especially for Halo 3. The problem I'm having and had to fix manually was the turning attack/turning animations. Anything that involved rotational data seemed to be really finicky. I'm assuming you're inheriting the rotation data from the pelvic bone, rather than creating any kind of "root" or "master" bone. There's a few problems with doing it this way, since you're subtracting or adding any kind of root motion or core rotation data with the already adjusted bone rotation. For example, if you were to load any kind of attack right animation and forcefully turned the model by the pelvis bone to the right (by 90 degrees), the animation would look "almost" proper. So it seems like the model itself could be interpreting the rotational data incorrectly based off its local position (in this sense, it faces left instead of forward so maybe the offset is just not agreeing with it.)

If I might suggest, I'd like see what happens if you were to export with a bone containing all the root locomotion data in it, rather than having the pelvis inherit it. Just so the pelvis ins't inheriting everything locomotion/rotation wise (this should stop the jittering too, theoretically speaking). Then again the hunter model had some seriously awful weights, so I wouldn't put it past Bungie to have some faults in their animations too.

Time: Tue October 15, 2019 3:55 AM 140 ms.
A Halo Maps Website